Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Spy x Family Code: White (7/10)

Solid movie. Had a lot of fun at the screening I went to. I did have a bit of an issue with how obviously and conspicuously they avoided addressing the timeline/"is this canon" questions. This could have happened at any point in the timeline, and none of its storyline has any kind of effect on the ongoing series. So basically, it is consequence free. And that is a bit of a downer. But what this is; it is a self-contained, longer episode that wouldn't be a terrible introduction to the series as a whole. And even though that is points off from me, it totally makes sense. And it is a pretty good, longer episode. Maybe not worth theater prices, but worth a watch when it hits streaming. Especially for a delightful extended sequence in act 3 where
Anya is struggling mightily trying not to poop.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I finished Ninja Kamui. Good series. Just the right amount of 13 episodes. Whenever it comes out on physical I will pick it up first day.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Caught the flu, so I decided to watch all 5 seasons of Shokugeki no Soma, or Food Wars.

I was actually quite enjoying it. Its the usual Japanese high school battle royale-esque shtick, but instead of a power system, people fight through cooking. It's a silly, stupid idea that works due to the insane amount of work the author put into learning about actual cooking.

That said, the energy and detail drops off a cliff right about the 4th season, and especially in the 5th season.

The series ends with the biggest cooking battle we have ever seen. The two greatest chefs face off. How does it play out? Well, one chef creates their ultimate dish off screen. The ultimate dish is probably the least creative dish that character has ever put out, but is described as the best thing they ever cooked. How does the other chef overcome this? Well, they not only cook off screen, but they win off screen as well.

So yeah. Hard to recommend, and I haven't even talked about how needlessly horny this show is. Might as well just watch the thousands of YouTube cooking videos out there that recreate the show's most popular dishes.

Reactions: BrawlMan

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Now that the terrible (affectionate) cat girl has adopted herself into the group, Delicious in Dungeon episode 21 introduces the bastards Canaries. If there's a Top Ten list of elves in fiction, these guys make up most of the list

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood (2009)

Adaptation of the manga by the same name. Second adaptation, that is. Due to the curious tendency to adapt stories that aren't finished yet, which I don't think is ever a wise idea, an earlier adaptation from 2003 eventually branched off of the mangas story to conclude it on its own terms. Although, for fairness sake, still consulting Hiromu Arakawa, the mangas author. I haven't seen this older version and I don't know how it compares, but I did just finish Brotherhood, the adaptation based on the completed manga.

In an early 20th century styled fantasy world where alchemy is a form of sorcery, teenage brothers Edward and Alphonse Elric have been left crippled after attempting an alchemical ritual to bring back their dead mother. Edward having lost two of his limbs and having to rely on metal prothesises and Alphonse having lost his entire body and only maintaining a corporeal existence by having his sould bonded to a hollow metal armor. To solve their predicament, they become alchemists for their heavily militarized country, hoping it'll help them acquire a philosophers stone, a mythical artifact said to be able to restore their bodies. On their quest they uncover a sinister ancient conspiracy deeply linked to the past and future of their nation.

Fullmetal Alchemist is a sprawling adventure story, although one that's a lot more compact than a lot of similar anime tends to be. Put plainly, it knows how to keep its eyes on the price and doesn't get sidetracked or diverted in any meaningful way. The protagonists, their goals, the stakes, the antagonists and most of the important characters and their allegiances are established about 20 episodes into its 64 episodes run, letting the rest of the series play out in a fairly straight forward manner. It has a pretty formidable length, but it's novelistic, rather than episodic. It definitely has distinct segments but they feel like chapters, rather than seperate arcs, fiitting into each other and the greater plot seemlessly.

It's in essence a simple coming of age fantasy adventure story, roughly in the same ballpark as your Harry Potters and Star Wars's and Avatar the Last Airbenders and mostly devoid of the more outwardly abstract psychological and philosophical swings of something like Evangelion but I'd hesitate to call it "light hearted". This is a show where about half of the recurring supporting cast suffers from severe PTSD for having been complicit in major war crimes. Make no mistake, it's not Legend of the Galactic Heroes or anything, it never goes into full political thriller or war drama territory, but it does deal with that sort of thing a lot more explicitly than something like Last Airbender does.

Honestly, this, along with its more ambiguously allegorical parts about war and genocide as ritualistic mass sacrifice, are probably some of its most thought provoking story beats. The meat of the show is fairly easily digestible adventure fare though, that mostly works because it devotes enough time to the specifics of it lend all of it a good deal of personality. Make no mistake, most of the good guys are pretty unambiguously good and most of the bad guys are pretty unambiguously bad but almost all of them have just enough nuance that you kinda get why they are the way they are. It goes to great lengths to colour in all the little things.

Not to put to fine a point on it, there was a side character, overall a really small and inconsequential one, who had this genuinely tragic little arc that made me really sympathize with how much she's been screwed over by her circumstances. And it's really one of many examples of genuinely good writing that shows an understanding of how important the little things are. There's generally a lot to be said about how effectively it juggles a pretty large cast of major and minor characters. It sounds banal, but it was genuinely impressive that almost every time I started thinking "I wonder what this or that character's been up to since we last saw them.", they actually went back to that character soon after.

I think it's also worth pointing out that once it ramps up to the final act, this show really gets going. The last 20 episodes of Brotherhood are basically one long, climactic battle with an insane number of moving parts where everyone gets some time in the spotlight and everything coalesces into a conclusion. It's unironically a herculean feat that they managed to maintain a sense of tension, purpose and forward movement over about 6 hours of almost non stop action. Which also serves as evidence for my old thesis that animation is the ideal medium for action.

FM:B is a very well executed action adventure show with a well fleshed out ensemble cast and a pretty tight plot that moves along at a breezy pace. Its more thought provoking elements are mostly relegated to the background and there are bits and pieces of attempted comedy that come off kind of awkward and unfitting but most of the time it pulls off what it sets out to do fairly well. Like many stories of its kinds, I didn't find the main antagonist terribly compelling and he probably stands as one of the few characters who failed to grow much beyond a broad archetype, but outside of that it's, plainly speaking, a lot of fun. It's main accomplishment is probably how it doesn't let its scale outgrow its structure, keeping its eyes on the main plot even as its world and supporting cast keeps expanding. It does deserve its place in the canon of classic teen/young adult fantasy.

Last edited:

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
The pacing of brotherhood is a direct results of the first adaptation, even though its made to stand up on its own, its also kinda made with the idea that the audience already watched the first one since it skip a lot of stuff that was already adapted and not plot critical.

PsychedelicDiamond

Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
The pacing of brotherhood is a direct results of the first adaptation, even though its made to stand up on its own, its also kinda made with the idea that the audience already watched the first one since it skip a lot of stuff that was already adapted and not plot critical.
Eh, I wouldn't know. I didn't mention it in the review, but I actually saw the beginning of the old adaptation, like, 10 years ago and didn't stick with it. And watching Brotherhood I did notice that some of the common ground they cover was paced differently. Like, the part about the mad scientist who turns his daughter into a chimera that often gets referenced. It was one episode in Brotherhood, but I feel like in the old show they spent two or three episodes at that guys house.

That said, considering I haven't read the manga I just assumed that it was the old show that was stretching stuff out.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Eh, I wouldn't know. I didn't mention it in the review, but I actually saw the beginning of the old adaptation, like, 10 years ago and didn't stick with it. And watching Brotherhood I did notice that some of the common ground they cover was paced differently. Like, the part about the mad scientist who turns his daughter into a chimera that often gets referenced. It was one episode in Brotherhood, but I feel like in the old show they spent two or three episodes at that guys house.

That said, considering I haven't read the manga I just assumed that it was the old show that was stretching stuff out.
FMA 2003 did expand on Tucker and Nina, making this moment even more heart wrenching and tragic than the manga/Brotherhood version.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Finally sat down an watched the Onimusha adaptation series on Netflix.

Really surprised as, unless Im rusty, they took a smart turn and did an entirely different story. Other than the Onimusha Gauntlet itself the show shares nothing in common with the first game (I don't remember the others)

Its kinda clever in that, its more of an adaptation of Apocalypse Now, though it may actually be an adaptation of some samurai drama Im not familiar with.

Regardless, the plot is that a mountain clan village has revolted and barricaded themselves up for reasons "unknown" when a mediator from clan leadership goes to investigate he instead joins them.

Fearing the shameful news will reach the shogunate the clan leadership sends a group of high ranking soldiers and infamous ronin named Musashi Miyamoto to investigate and put down the revolt. Musashi Miyamoto borrows the gauntlet from the temple on suspicion of dark forces being involved.

I thought it was pretty great, lot of twists and turns, it makes amazing use of 3D animation overlayed with hand drawn art style with extremely fast, Kinetic action.

I quite liked Musashi Miyamoto, though Im not sure he shares much in common with real figure. In this hes kind of an amalgamation of Kikuchiyo from 7 samurai and Wolverine, a generally serious poetic figure, but often silly in personality. Hes very funny, but also deadly serious and dramatic when called to be so.

Easy easy recommendation if you enjoy samurai mystery/dramas. 8.5/10.

Reactions: meiam and BrawlMan

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Finally sat down an watched the Onimusha adaptation series on Netflix.

Really surprised as, unless Im rusty, they took a smart turn and did an entirely different story. Other than the Onimusha Gauntlet itself the show shares nothing in common with the first game (I don't remember the others)

Its kinda clever in that, its more of an adaptation of Apocalypse Now, though it may actually be an adaptation of some samurai drama Im not familiar with.

Regardless, the plot is that a mountain clan village has revolted and barricaded themselves up for reasons "unknown" when a mediator from clan leadership goes to investigate he instead joins them.

Fearing the shameful news will reach the shogunate the clan leadership sends a group of high ranking soldiers and infamous ronin named Musashi Miyamoto to investigate and put down the revolt. Musashi Miyamoto borrows the gauntlet from the temple on suspicion of dark forces being involved.

I thought it was pretty great, lot of twists and turns, it makes amazing use of 3D animation overlayed with hand drawn art style with extremely fast, Kinetic action.

I quite liked Musashi Miyamoto, though Im not sure he shares much in common with real figure. In this hes kind of an amalgamation of Kikuchiyo from 7 samurai and Wolverine, a generally serious poetic figure, but often silly in personality. Hes very funny, but also deadly serious and dramatic when called to be so.

Easy easy recommendation if you enjoy samurai mystery/dramas. 8.5/10.
From what I remember from a history class I took 20 years ago - so salt at the ready - that isn’t a wholly off the mark description of Musashi.

PsychedelicDiamond

Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Rewatched Revolutionary Girl Utena

I'm gonne be honest. As a straight guy, I don't think I have any right to love this show as much as I do.

One of these days I'm gonna write more about it. But this show is pretty high up on the list of media that made me who I am, somewhere with Pink Floyd's The Wall, Inland Empire, Killer 7 and Gravity's Rainbow.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

I'm gonne be honest. As a straight guy, I don't think I have any right to love this show as much as I do.

One of these days I'm gonna write more about it. But this show is pretty high up on the list of media that made me who I am, somewhere with Pink Floyd's The Wall, Inland Empire, Killer 7 and Gravity's Rainbow.
Love what you love; there is no shame in it. There are plenty of guys that like Sailor Moon or other magical girl shows. I saw Utena once back in high school. I don't remember too much but I thought it was fine. Saw it on the International Channel, Channel 77. The network went down around spring of 2008. They mainly aired anime and Asian movie/TV dramas from various countries. I stuck around for the anime. What's crazy is that the channel would do dubs for certain shows, but subs for other shows, despite them already having an English dub. They didn't do it that often though, and most anime was broadcasted in English.

Last edited:

PsychedelicDiamond

Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Love what you love; there is no shame in it. There are plenty of guys at like Sailor Moon or other magical girl shows. I saw Utena once nack in high school. I don't remember too much but I thought it was fine. Saw it on the International Channel, Channel 77. The network went down around spring of 2008. They mainly sired anime and Asian movie/TV dramas from various countries. I stuck around for the anime. What's crazy is that the channel would do dubs for certain shows, but subs for other shows, despite them already having an english dub. They didn't do it that often though, and most anime was broadcasted in English.
There was a tv station in Germany that hd a bunch of anime when I was a kid. All dubbed, watching stuff with subtitles just isn't a thing here. Mostly what you'd expect, the original Dragonball (and later Dragonball Z), One Piece, Detective Conan, Sailor Moon, Yu Gi Oh and so on. Although there were some kinda left field choices. I remember they aired Nadia and the Secret of Blue Water for a while, the show Hideaki Anno did before Evangelion.

Utena was never on there,though, I'm not sure if it has a german dub at all. I watched that on the internet as a teen. Around the same time as Serial Experiments Lane, another show that means a lot to me.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
There was a tv station in Germany that hd a bunch of anime when I was a kid. All dubbed, watching stuff with subtitles just isn't a thing here. Mostly what you'd expect, the original Dragonball (and later Dragonball Z), One Piece, Detective Conan, Sailor Moon, Yu Gi Oh and so on. Although there were some kinda left field choices. I remember they aired Nadia and the Secret of Blue Water for a while, the show Hideaki Anno did before Evangelion.

Utena was never on there,though, I'm not sure if it has a german dub at all. I watched that on the internet as a teen. Around the same time as Serial Experiments Lame, another show that means a lot to me.
For the International Channel, they aired (everything after the first two anime they aired the dubbed versions):

• Dragonball Z - Japanese with no subs at all! For some reason, this was only anime they did this with!
  • Slayers - All of them and movies. Japanese with English subs, even though the dubs for the entire franchise had long been out on DVD by that point.
  • Project A-ko
  • Now and Then, Here and There
  • El Hazard - Both the OVA and the crappy TV Series.
  • A Wind Named Amnesia
  • Gall Force
  • Ninja Scroll
  • All 3 of the Tenchi movies.
  • Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
That's all I can remember, but that channel in particular showed more obscure/niche anime or went straight for movies and one shot OVAs mainly.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Serial Experiments Lame, another show that means a lot to me.
Freudian slip?

You might (big might) like the last gundam show since it was pretty heavily inspired by Utena. Might like Revue Starlight too.

The latest season of Demon Slayer is incredibly boring so far. Not unexpected, but still kinda sad.
Shonen show that are entirely dependent on fancy visual tend to run out of steam once those become familiar.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.

Thanks, Revolutionary Girl Utena has been on my backlog list for a while. Maybe I'll just pop it up to "next" now. I'm about halfway through a rewatch of an old favorite myself. It was the first series I watched all the way through myself, Blue Seed. After a couple of times watching Dragonball with a pal and not really enjoying 2 filler episodes of a staredown before a fight, and an animated movie with friends that really turned me away because it was about a degree away from tentacle hentai, I had thought anime just wasn't for me. But I saw Blue Seed on a shelf at a Hollywood Video and wound up enjoying it. Now, I've sampled lots more and have seen much better shows. But for changing my mind, I'll always enjoy a Blue Seed rewatch.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I remember they aired Nadia and the Secret of Blue Water for a while, the show Hideaki Anno did before Evangelion.
Correction: The show he did half of before apparently being booted only to be brought back for the final episode. And you can tell when he left the project - those island episodes were... oof.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I'm up to Episode 12 of Delicious in Dungeon, and while I'm not completely enamoured by this show it has a real charm.

Special mention goes to the character of Marcille, and more specifically how the show DOESN'T present her. She's a conventionally pretty elf girl in an anime, so the red flags pop up immediately, but the show never sexualizes or even glorifies her. There's no tantilizing shots or situations, and she doesn't even get that shiny eyes/hair look most girls in anime do. In Episode 12 there's even a bath scene, and here is where I thought the dam might break and we'd get lots of exploitative angles, but no. Despite the character(s) being fully naked there's a complete absence of leariness. The characters are pretty, they're naked, but that's where it ends. It's a level of restraint dreadfully rare in the world of anime.

Also, I kinda love all the different hairstyles they give her.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I accidentally started watching HoriMiya last night and realized season 1 was over at 3am.

Another one of those expertly written stories that must be personally informed or highly researched.

Its so captivating the way it smoothly transitions from wholesome highschool comedy to serious topics like latchkey kids, anxiety, depression, people pleasers, and self-image issues.

"Aww she has a crush on him....oh and shes borderline suicidal." and then Im forced to keep watching praying everyones gonna be ok.

That being the case man if have trauma I can't recommend this one. Talk about gut punches.