looking for anime suggestions for newbies:

jamesalery1

Jun 2, 2024
Country
United States
Hello everyone! I'm new here and eager to explore the world of anime, but I haven't delved into it before. Could you recommend some fantastic anime series for beginners like me? I'm particularly interested in ones that feature superpowers like enhanced strength, control over elements like air or water, and so on. Preferably, I'd like suggestions for anime available in English. Thank you so much! šŸ˜Š

jamesalery1

Jun 2, 2024
Country
United States
thank you for suggestions, i think i should go with
  1. "Made in Abyss".,
  2. "Fairy Tail" ,
  3. "My Hero Academia" ...

Hello everyone! I'm new here and eager to explore the world of anime, but I haven't delved into it before. Could you recommend some fantastic anime series for beginners like me? I'm particularly interested in ones that feature superpowers like enhanced strength, control over elements like air or water, and so on. Preferably, I'd like suggestions for anime available in English. Thank you so much! šŸ˜Š

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Here's some suggestions

Skelter Heaven
Mars of Destruction
School Days
Berserk (2016 version)
Hanoka
Ex-Arms

Reactions: jamesalery1

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
thank you for suggestions, i think i should go with
  1. "Made in Abyss".,
  2. "Fairy Tail" ,
  3. "My Hero Academia" ...
I would very much caution against Made in Abyss. It has its following, but it's certainly not a "newbie" series and it can be several shades of disturbing.

There are a lot of possibilites, but at the top of my head there are two standout examples that I'd call "newbie friendly" and meet your superpowers criteria:

A lot of fans of the medium were introduced to it with Dragonball (and its sequel series of Dragonball Z), and its hard to overstate its influence on the medium, its genre, and global pop culture (to the point that it's frequently cited as the largest influence in making Japanese animation poplular outside of Japan). Very much an adventure and fighting focused series, with the major conflicts all employing martial arts at superhuman levels (super speed, super strength, ki blasts, etc). As an aside, if you do go with this, when you get to the Dragonball Z portions, I would highly recommend looking for Dragonball Z Kai, as it's a remaster of the original DBZ which redubs the series with better voice acting, cleans up some of the animation, and cuts out a lot of the padding.

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is a personal favorite, and one I'd consider pretty easy to get into. This is a remake of the Fullmetal Alchemist anime that aired in 2003-2004 (which quickly overtook the source material and then ended up going in a completely different direction). I personally recommend Brotherhood because I prefer Arakawa's themes, but acknowledge that FMAB kinda glossed over and speedran the first few stories that it had in common with the first anime. Plenty of action and applications of magic powers, but a bit more mystery oriented than Dragonball.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
  • Tenchi OVA1-2
  • Tenchi Universe and its two sequel movies, In Love 1 & 2
  • El Hazard: The Magnificent World OVA 1 & 2
  • El Hazard: The Wanderers AU TV series
  • New Cutie Honey
  • RE: Cutie Honey
  • Outlaw Star
  • The Big O
  • Redline
  • Ninja Scroll
  • Kill La Kill
  • Cowboy Bebop

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I would very much caution against Made in Abyss. It has its following, but it's certainly not a "newbie" series and it can be several shades of disturbing.

There are a lot of possibilites, but at the top of my head there are two standout examples that I'd call "newbie friendly" and meet your superpowers criteria:

A lot of fans of the medium were introduced to it with Dragonball (and its sequel series of Dragonball Z), and its hard to understate its influence on the medium, its genre, and global pop culture (to the point that it's frequently cited as the largest influence in making Japanese animation poplular outside of Japan). Very much an adventure and fighting focused series, with the major conflicts all employing martial arts at superhuman levels (super speed, super strength, ki blasts, etc). As an aside, if you do go with this, when you get to the Dragonball Z portions, I would highly recommend looking for Dragonball Z Kai, as it's a remaster of the original DBZ which redubs the series with better voice acting, cleans up some of the animation, and cuts out a lot of the padding.

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is a personal favorite, and one I'd consider pretty easy to get into. This is a remake of the Fullmetal Alchemist anime that aired in 2003-2004, which quickly overtook the source material and then ended up going in a completely different direction. I personally recommend Brotherhood because I prefer Arakawa's themes, but acknowledge that FMAB kinda glossed over and speedran the first few stories that it had in common with the first anime. Plenty of action and applications of magic powers, but a bit more mystery oriented than Dragonball.
Some good suggestions and I would also recommend them. For humans.

jamesalery1

Jun 2, 2024
Country
United States

A lot of fans of the medium were introduced to it with Dragonball (and its sequel series of Dragonball Z), and its hard to overstate its influence on the medium, its genre, and global pop culture (to the point that it's frequently cited as the largest influence in making Japanese animation poplular outside of Japan). Very much an adventure and fighting focused series, with the major conflicts all employing martial arts at superhuman levels (super speed, super strength, ki blasts, etc). As an aside, if you do go with this, when you get to the Dragonball Z portions, I would highly recommend looking for Dragonball Z Kai, as it's a remaster of the original DBZ which redubs the series with better voice acting, cleans up some of the animation, and cuts out a lot of the padding.

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is a personal favorite, and one I'd consider pretty easy to get into. This is a remake of the Fullmetal Alchemist anime that aired in 2003-2004, which quickly overtook the source material and then ended up going in a completely different direction. I personally recommend Brotherhood because I prefer Arakawa's themes, but acknowledge that FMAB kinda glossed over and speedran the first few stories that it had in common with the first anime. Plenty of action and applications of magic powers, but a bit more mystery oriented than Dragonball.
thank you so much for this detail. I really appreciate your help. i have noted down these animes also.. ā˜ŗ

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
One-Punch Man is worth a gander if you're looking for superpowered stuff. The first season is only like 12 episodes, and it's not too laden with tropes.

I would suggest staying clear from Made in Abyss if questionable child exploitation content is not your forte.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Yes, but i didn't mention them for this reason. They are good shows heavily inspired by anime, they surely have superpoers and elemental control but i would not suggeest them to a newcomer specifically asking to be introduced to anime.

Reactions: Drathnoxis