Funny events in anti-woke world

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Wouldn't it be wild if we had regular language use such as 'non-practicing <religion>', establishing the membership and belief in a religion, while acknowledging they don't practice in regular rituals. Huh, weird.
I’d always heard people like that referred to as lapsed <insert religion here>. Or is that for people who have stopped adhering to the faith entirely where a non-practicing person is someone who would still largely believe the scripture, chapter and verse, but has stopped actively and outwardly observing things like prayer?

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Wouldn't it be wild if we had regular language use such as 'non-practicing <religion>', establishing the membership and belief in a religion, while acknowledging they don't practice in regular rituals. Huh, weird.
sometimes that means a lack of belief too, just to make things more complicated. Like being raised in a religion but growing out of it without much thought.

I’d always heard people like that referred to as lapsed <insert religion here>. Or is that for people who have stopped adhering to the faith entirely where a non-practicing person is someone who would still largely believe the scripture, chapter and verse, but has stopped actively and outwardly observing things like prayer?
I've only ever heard 'lapsed' before Catholic. But maybe people can be lapsed other things. The ways we refer to wretched apostasy are varied across cultures.

Lapsed Amazon Prime and lapsed Catholicism are pretty much the same thing in my view.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
It is usually people who still do believe in what they think is the core of the religion but have stopped believing that the rituals are particularly relevant and thus stop doing them. For example one might ask what the purpose of prayer is when the god is all knowing and thus already knows anything you might want to say and won't be persuaded of anything because his decisions are already perfect ?

In many religions the actions are primarily symbolic not with inherent power. And people might decide they don't really need the symbols.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Well now you're just simply lying to yourself.
Let's try your imaginative linguistic approach elsewhere. A menu says the chow mein comes with beef or chicken. Would you say that menu is ambiguous about whether the chow mein must come with beef?

Would you actually say that anyone who believes in a god is categorically "religious" independent of everything else?
No.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Today in things that definitely happened. Got Muskrat's attention tho.
1718789822085.png
1718789833232.png

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
People who consider themselves "spiritual" typically aren't worshiping a specific god from a defined religion. They do things like spirit worship or ancestor worship.
" The interactions are complex since even conservative Christians designate themselves as "spiritual but not religious" to indicate a form of non-ritualistic personal faith. "
By your definition a lapsed Catholic who has stopped attending mass would no longer be considered religious and wouldn't even be a Catholic, but that's not how Catholicism works (as I think you well know). You're only no longer a Catholic if you renounce Catholicism. Hell, even excommunication from the church doesn't make you no longer Catholic (according to Pope Pius VI "The excommunicated person, being excluded from the society of the Church, still bears the indelible mark of Baptism and is subject to the jurisdiction of the Church").
My definition would not indicate that. If you believe in the Catholic faith, you believe in all sorts of moral obligations. Claiming those obligations even without fulfilling them is still a religious action, an acceptance of fealty to a higher power, and you would undoubtedly believe yourself to be sinning in your failure to keep those obligations.

And if you renounce the Catholic faith, and decide none of that crap should apply to you, but continue to believe in Jesus, that doesn't make you still Catholic.
Let's try your imaginative linguistic approach elsewhere. A menu says the chow mein comes with beef or chicken. Would you say that menu is ambiguous about whether the chow mein must come with beef?
You understand that your logic now would equally assert that religion does not require belief either, correct? If "or" means we can focus on half and disregard the other, the half you are focused on can be equally disregarded.

If we take your statement that religion was always about belief, in your analogy it would be like saying "chinese food was always about chicken", and then supporting that claim with beef being optional on the menu. It looks rather silly, Silvanus.
Then we agree. What are you even arguing about?

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
You understand that your logic now would equally assert that religion does not require belief either, correct? If "or" means we can focus on half and disregard the other, the half you are focused on can be equally disregarded.

If we take your statement that religion was always about belief, in your analogy it would be like saying "chinese food was always about chicken", and then supporting that claim with beef being optional on the menu. It looks rather silly, Silvanus.
...except that I was pointing out the implications of that definition you posted, rather than offering my own formulation. In that definition-- #5 of the 6 you posted-- its indeed true that neither belief nor practice are given as requirements. That definition is clearly written to be exceptionally broad.

I would disagree with it! But hey, it's one you posted, so that ain't on me.

Then we agree. What are you even arguing about?
You have ascribed a specific requirement which I dispute.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
candace owens simps for hitler so hard she forgets pearl harbour exists and a gbnews tosser even has to call it out oh dear america really ain't sending their best

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Historically, the words religious and spiritual have been used synonymously to describe all the various aspects of the concept of religion.[1] However, religion is a highly contested term with scholars such as Russell McCutcheon arguing that the term "religion" is used as a way to name a "seemingly distinct domain of diverse items of human activity and production".[7] The field of religious studies cannot even agree on one definition for religion and since spirituality overlaps with it in many ways it is difficult to reach a consensus for a definition for spirituality as well.[8][note 1]

So, are you you really that surprised that other people use the terms differently if even scholars can not agree on a definition and tradition would have religion and spirituality used as synonyms ?

My definition would not indicate that. If you believe in the Catholic faith, you believe in all sorts of moral obligations. Claiming those obligations even without fulfilling them is still a religious action, an acceptance of fealty to a higher power, and you would undoubtedly believe yourself to be sinning in your failure to keep those obligations.
Sure. But you can totally believe that you are sinning. As every other human on earth is as well per catholic doctrine and decide to be fine with that.

You might also have your own opinion about which of the countless obligations are important and just do those that seem like common sense or moral to you anyway. I wouldn't automatically say that a catholic who doesn't have extramarital affairs or doesn't steal, murder or badmouth is "practicing the religion".

Last edited:

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
View attachment 11346

Do you know any parents with kids? They're sick literally all the time, because their kids constantly get sick at school. Children spread disease like crazy. Yes, COVID affected kids under 10 less than anyone else, but that doesn't mean that kids wouldn't have been bringing COVID home with them and infecting others, especially kids over the age of 10.
Why are you posting a study about what people think will happen? We have real world data across the globe of kids being in school and not sparking covid infections. You do realize all the other countries opened up schools after running actual real world studies showing no increase in covid spread with schools open. That is following the actual science, the rest of the world did it. Whereas we have data showing kids do drive flu infections but covid is not the flu. And if the US did all the things that actually reduce covid transmissions and followed the actual science, how'd the US do worse than all their peer countries?

Then you can't make an argument that relies on your own narrow definition. If you won't discuss it, and nobody else here accepts it, then that's not providing a basis to argue anything else.
Nor has anyone shown needy kids aren't getting food by the normal NSLP.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
They haven't shown it to your satisfaction, but we also know that your criteria are impossible to meet.
You haven't shown me how needy kids are losing out on school lunches. The main issue with kids not getting food that are needy is schools that don't participate in the NSLP but if schools don't participate, they weren't able to get the pandemic school lunch additional policy anyway so getting rid of that is not pulling food off needy kids' plates.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
You haven't shown me how needy kids are losing out on school lunches.
Indeed, because if one uses a metric that automatically excludes anyone who doesn't get school lunches already, then it's impossible to do so.

Last edited:

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
The requirement was action beyond just belief.
Well, sort of correct: you were a lot less broad earlier, talking about obligation and the understanding that one was failing if they didn't fulfil it. Some very Catholic language, not very applicable to dozens of other religions, both historic and modern.

But I'd say that belief alone isn't quite enough, whereas action (in the sense of practical, physical expression) isn't required.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
candace owens simps for hitler so hard she forgets pearl harbour exists and a gbnews tosser even has to call it out oh dear america really ain't sending their best

She's eager to prove she's a good little doggie, so that when the facists take over she won't be taken out back because of her skin colour.

She will be.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica

And if you renounce the Catholic faith, and decide none of that crap should apply to you, but continue to believe in Jesus, that doesn't make you still Catholic.
One can believe and follow all of those same moral obligations without being a Catholic, being a Christian, or being religious at all. Religion doesn't have a monopoly on morality.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
One can believe and follow all of those same moral obligations without being a Catholic, being a Christian, or being religious at all. Religion doesn't have a monopoly on morality.
One can do all the same things, but you cannot follow the moral obligations of the Catholic Church without being a member of the Catholic Church, since you wouldn't be obligated. It's not following an obligation if you aren't obligated. I by no means suggested that religion has a monopoly on morality.
But I'd say that belief alone isn't quite enough, whereas action (in the sense of practical, physical expression) isn't required.
What is neither belief nor action?