The Defending Joe Biden Mega-Thread

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
"No U" is indeed fair play, though it also makes it abundantly clear you can't address the substance.
Your substance is paranoia at best.

The court ruled that there are some things that only the president can do and not be prosecuted for. The proper answer is "no duh". If you genuinely find that decision disturbing, you are just a ridiculous person.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
You have literally just been arguing that the absence of official charges is evidence that crime didn't happen.
When it's the attempted murder of the vice president, yes. When it's a tons of people looting from stores, no. It's like saying someone never speeds when driving because they've never gotten a speeding ticket. Some things are far more enforced (like attempted murder of the vice president) while other things are not nearly as enforced.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
The court ruled that there are some things that only the president can do and not be prosecuted for.
You know perfectly well that wasn't all the ruling said and that isn't the problem people have with it.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Copypasta...

Oleg101

1h ago

Here are all the connections between Project 2025 and Trump statements:

Christian Nationalism:

Canceling Climate Change

Control of the Federal Government

Use the DoJ and FBI to arrest critics and opponents

Fire the Civil Service

Replace civil servants with loyalists

Mass Deportations

Make abortion illegal

Canceling transgender rights

Here is the complete list of the 31 authors and editors of Project 2025 that have formal connections to the Trump administration:"

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/a...pe-government-and-trumps-links-to-its-authors the
Disagree with his view on transgender rights.

Christian Nationalism: If he doesn't force me to go to church as a non-believer and pay a Sunday attendance tax and just allows 'house Christians' to exist it wouldn't impact most people's lives that much.

Canceling climate change policy: Name a Republican who isn't Peter Zeihan who believes in climate change, I mean I do(which is why I am an independent), but only to react to it as a crisis and to maximize US preparations for it and the whole little finger chaos is a ladder thing so that the US can use it to increase in power via population increases, possibly land.

Fire the Civil service, etc. Andrew Jackson did the same thing so it isn't unprecedented, it just would limit US policy from being super dynamic, but yes it can do some damage.

Massive deportations: Impossible too many people.

Abortion is illegal: The Supreme Court will get to decide that one, and I doubt they will make it completely illegal. Also, Trump himself is wisely washy on the subject.

Heck, even their Greenland policy is too tamed. Even Biden and or the Republicans likely have a plan to threaten to invade Greenland in case the EU doesn't play ball with Ukraine/Russia, Taiwan/China, and Israel/Iran.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Canceling climate change policy: Name a Republican who isn't Peter Zeihan who believes in climate change, I mean I do(which is why I am an independent), but only to react to it as a crisis and to maximize US preparations for it and the whole little finger chaos is a ladder thing so that the US can use it to increase in power via population increases, possibly land.
"whole little finger chaos is a ladder thing"? Not with you there.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
When it's the attempted murder of the vice president, yes. When it's a tons of people looting from stores, no. It's like saying someone never speeds when driving because they've never gotten a speeding ticket. Some things are far more enforced (like attempted murder of the vice president) while other things are not nearly as enforced.
Hundreds got arrested for looting BLM.

There was about 11,000 different BLM marches. 3.7% of those rally site had looting and/ property damage over the 6mth period. Meaning that 10,500 rallies had NO looting whatsoever. This is includes the first nights of rallies that were definitely more violent

Trump deliberately said the protest were dangerous. Most were not. Some were only ever dangerous only those first nights

Reactions: Cicada 5

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
I mean, if we're gonna play the humanitarian card, it's awful funny we're concerned about a couple hundred looters and the maybe couple million worth of damage inflicted by looting...but not the few thousand injured (some life-threateningly) by cops, or the few billions worth of damage and property loss caused by cops shooting up urban cores, firing pyrotechnic grenades everywhere, confiscating (and destroying) protestors' personal possessions without probable cause or remuneration, and hosing entire cities down with chemical weapons.

As someone who actually lives in the Louisville metro area, I can tell you firsthand...yeah, protestors smashed a couple windows and stole some shit. LMPD, on the other hand, tore the city a new asshole.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

National polls say Biden is still in a close race with Trump after debate.

Three new major national polls out Sunday morning bolstered President Joe Biden's argument to remain the Democratic Party's nominee this fall after his poor debate performance last month — while also underscoring the structural challenges his campaign has faced for months.

The good news in the data for Biden: His numbers have not slipped markedly in any of the three surveys since the late June debate. The political freefall that some Democrats feared following the June 27 debate is not apparent in the data.

• The Fox News poll showed Trump only 1 point ahead of Biden in a national, head-to-head race, 49 percent to 48 percent. Biden led by 2 points in the previous poll, in mid June, but the shift is well within the poll's margin of error. In the
  • NBC News poll, Trump led Biden, 45 percent to 43 percent. The presumptive Republican nominee also held a 2-point lead in NBC's last survey in April.
  • The CBS News poll, which surveyed voters in the seven key Electoral College battleground states, shows Trump leading, 50 percent to 48 percent. That's similar to a week ago, when Trump led, 51 percent to 48 percent.
It's far too early to know whether the shooting at Trump's event this weekend or the coming week's Republican convention will lead to more significant changes in the electorate, but the remarkable stability of the race following the debate suggests that's unlikely.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
There was about 11,000 different BLM marches. 3.7% of those rally site had looting and/ property damage over the 6mth period. Meaning that 10,500 rallies had NO looting whatsoever. This is includes the first nights of rallies that were definitely more violent
Literally the metric I've made a point of calling bullshit over and over, because virtually no cause that extends beyond two protest "events" is going to have a violent majority.

Or to put it another way, out of election protest events on Jan 6, 2021 in Washington, DC a majority were peaceful. Which is I think is more obviously bullshit since we all watched J6 unfold live on the news, but there was a rally, a march, and then the attack on the Capitol, so three events of which only one was violent.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Literally the metric I've made a point of calling bullshit over and over, because virtually no cause that extends beyond two protest "events" is going to have a violent majority.

Or to put it another way, out of election protest events on Jan 6, 2021 in Washington, DC a majority were peaceful. Which is I think is more obviously bullshit since we all watched J6 unfold live on the news, but there was a rally, a march, and then the attack on the Capitol, so three events of which only one was violent.
Sure, but there are significant minorities and insignificant minorities. Your examples above would come to 3.7% vs 33.3%.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal

Trump deliberately said the protest were dangerous. Most were not. Some were only ever dangerous only those first nights
And BLM took over a 6 blocks of a city for a month. Here's the looting from one night in Chicago from local news:

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Sure, but there are significant minorities and insignificant minorities. Your examples above would come to 3.7% vs 33.3%.
It gets a lot closer if I get to count J6 election protests nationwide, and not just in the one city that had an event turn violent. Even more so if I am allowed to include all protests of the 2020 election. My whole point was that J6 in DC itself is "mostly peaceful" by that metric (as a demonstration why the metric is bullshit), not that J6 in DC was as "mostly peaceful" as several months of BLM events.

BLM 2020 shows all the problems with that measure though - basically you have a bunch of the largest events that turned into riots with lots of looting et al and then a lot of that dies down in a few days when there's less easy targets left and law enforcement has escalated. Then until you run out of protesters every day onward just lowers the percentage. And tiny events where a couple dozen people with signs rally and no one really does anything either way, well those are peaceful events to lower the percentage further.