Question for all gym-rats here; How do I improve my workout routine?

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I am trying to have a flatter stomach, and I heard it's the stoamch fat that's the main villain. I feel the only way to fight this off is to have a stricter diet and adding more cardio to my routine.
I'm in pretty much the same boat. I've never cared much about my diet, and essentially have just been working out so that I can eat whatever I want. I've always been in good shape, but I've never had a six pack because of that little bit of belly fat that just always covers my lower abs. Recently I decided to challenge myself to get that six pack, just to see if I can.

Changes I've made:

1. Significantly cut back on carbs.
2. Significantly cut back on sugar and alcohol.
3. Started running on the days when I don't lift. Typically lift 3 days a week and run 3 days a week, just taking a rest day after my leg day.

There's apparently a new study that says it's possible to target fat loss in certain areas of the body.

Not sure I entirely believe this, as it goes against basically everything anyone has ever said about fat loss. I figure it doesn't hurt to try though, so I've also started doing ab work before my runs now (though it's something I only recently started doing so I can't say whether it's helped at all).

Obviously none of this matters if you aren't at a calorie deficit because that's the only real way to lose weight and fat.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
About fat loss, the steadfast reasoning over the years has been that the last fat to go for males is the belly area and for females the hips area, due to the way each sex stores body fat. So being able to “target” these areas is likely a half truth at best, since it ultimately boils down to the caloric deficit like @Dirty Hipsters said above.

Strength training is going to help define the muscle underneath, but it won’t “pop” until that last layer of fat is shed. Which is something that losing completely isn’t practically even as healthy as one would think in the long term anyways. It’s mostly for those people who plan on competing, and then they bulk after again anyways. 8% body fat would be the lowest where abs should still show nicely but not to the point the body starts going haywire in the pursuit of looking good.

Last edited:

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Changes I've made:

You probably shouldn't do that because I said carbs are bad (sugar and all the carbs from basically anything grain-based but not like potatoes) and everyone here told me how wrong I am...

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
You probably shouldn't do that because I said carbs are bad (sugar and all the carbs from basically anything grain-based but not like potatoes) and everyone here told me how wrong I am...
Carbs aren't "bad." You get energy from carbs. There's a reason that athletes carb load before sporting events, it's because carbs are an effective fuel source for your body to burn.

I am essentially trying to get my body to stop burning carbs and to start burning fat instead, which is a less efficient fuel source. Because of this my workouts are actually suffering (they're shorter and less intense) because I have less energy ready to burn during the workout because in addition to eating fewer carbs I already have very little body fat to burn. The weight lifter meal is chicken and rice because you need carbs to efficiently lift.

Carbs are bad for people who overindulge in them and then don't burn that energy, because then the carbs get converted into fat for long term energy storage. The thing is, anything is bad for you if you overindulge.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Carbs aren't "bad." You get energy from carbs. There's a reason that athletes carb load before sporting events, it's because carbs are an effective fuel source for your body to burn.

I am essentially trying to get my body to stop burning carbs and to start burning fat instead, which is a less efficient fuel source. Because of this my workouts are actually suffering (they're shorter and less intense) because I have less energy ready to burn during the workout because in addition to eating fewer carbs I already have very little body fat to burn. The weight lifter meal is chicken and rice because you need carbs to efficiently lift.

Carbs are bad for people who overindulge in them and then don't burn that energy, because then the carbs get converted into fat for long term energy storage. The thing is, anything is bad for you if you overindulge.
Most people aren't athletes (or seriously work out, most just exercise to move a bit more and sit on the couch less) and eating sugar or breads is pretty bad for most people (or anything grain-based since it's all super processed and hardly even food). Burning fat is what most people what to do when they go on a diet (since over 40% of Americans are obese, not just overweight), and you want to stop eating carbs, especially sugar and grain related, carbs from whole foods like fruits and vegetables are fine. And giving up carbs is just not a 1:1 calorie replacement to say protein or fat. The sugar/carb addiction causes you to eat more food so by getting rid of the simple carbs, you're not only eating better foods but you're also eating less food (because you're less hungry) just without really thinking about it. Not only is it promoting burning fat but it's also so much easier to eat at a calorie deficit.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Most people aren't athletes (or seriously work out, most just exercise to move a bit more and sit on the couch less) and eating sugar or breads is pretty bad for most people (or anything grain-based since it's all super processed and hardly even food). Burning fat is what most people what to do when they go on a diet (since over 40% of Americans are obese, not just overweight), and you want to stop eating carbs, especially sugar and grain related, carbs from whole foods like fruits and vegetables are fine. And giving up carbs is just not a 1:1 calorie replacement to say protein or fat. The sugar/carb addiction causes you to eat more food so by getting rid of the simple carbs, you're not only eating better foods but you're also eating less food (because you're less hungry) just without really thinking about it. Not only is it promoting burning fat but it's also so much easier to eat at a calorie deficit.
Congrats on completely missing the point of a thread that is specifically about working out.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Cutting carbs increases fat burning that you said and then what I said, but I'm somehow wrong yet again...
You seem to think that all grain based carbs are bad and should be avoided. This is incorrect.

Yes, large quantities of carbs are bad for you, but large quantities of literally anything is bad for you. Drinking water is required for survival, but drinking too much water kills you.

You are pushing an unhealthy viewpoint that completely lacks context.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
You seem to think that all grain based carbs are bad and should be avoided. This is incorrect.

Yes, large quantities of carbs are bad for you, but large quantities of literally anything is bad for you. Drinking water is required for survival, but drinking too much water kills you.

You are pushing an unhealthy viewpoint that completely lacks context.
At least in America just about everything grain-based is ultra-processed so unless you're really really really looking into finding the small handful of grain-based products that are actual food, it's best just to avoid them all. American bread is worse than table sugar, it's glycemic index is higher. Sure, real bread is fine, but try finding that in America.

I follow everything I say and I'm the healthiest person I know. I eat the occasional bread because there's nothing I like that replaces a bun on a burger or bread on a sandwich. I'll eat pizza at parties but when I personally order a pizza, I get it with a sausage crust. I've literally never been prescribed a single drug nor have I ever even taken a Tylenol or Advil or any pain meds. But I'm pushing an unhealthy viewpoint?

Last edited:

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
At least in America just about everything grain-based is ultra-processed so unless you're really really really looking into finding the small handful of grain-based products that are actual food, it's best just to avoid them all. American bread is worse than table sugar, it's glycemic index is higher. Sure, real bread is fine, but try finding that in America.
Rice is perfectly fine to eat, so is pasta. Most of Asia consumes rice on a daily basis, and Italians eat pasta nearly daily. Neither of these societies have significant problems with obesity the way that the US does. Maybe it's not about the grains themselves, but rather the amount. And yes, it's pretty easy to get real bread in America. I have a bakery in my local grocery store 2 blocks from my house that bakes fresh french bread daily. If you don't have access to that a bread maker isn't expensive and makes great bread (my parents do that weekly).

I follow everything I say and I'm the healthiest person I know. I eat the occasional bread because there's nothing I like that replaces a bun on a burger or bread on a sandwich. I'll eat pizza at parties but when I personally order a pizza, I get it with a sausage crust. I've literally never been prescribed a single drug nor have I ever even taken a Tylenol or Advil or any pain meds. But I'm pushing an unhealthy viewpoint?
But do you even lift bro?

Last edited:

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Hot tip: don't spiral into a cycle of drinking and eating pizza everyday while grieving. Terrible for your longterm goals.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Rice is perfectly fine to eat, so is pasta. Most of Asia consumes rice on a daily basis, and Italians eat pasta nearly daily. Neither of these societies have significant problems with obesity the way that the US does. Maybe it's not about the grains themselves, but rather the amount. And yes, it's pretty easy to get real bread in America. I have a bakery in my local grocery store 2 blocks from my house that bakes fresh french bread daily. If you don't have access to that a bread maker isn't expensive and makes great bread (my parents do that weekly).

But do you even lift bro?
It depends on the rice. Same with pasta, American and Italian pasta is rather different, and Italians eat pasta as a side vs a main dish like Americans. Bakeries in America are massively less in number than say Europe (France has 50 times the bakeries per capita than the US). Plus, if you get a burger or sandwich or rolls from fast food or restaurant, you have really no idea where it's from. Even Panera used to have real bread, not anymore. It's just easier to avoid grains than do the research on them if you don't "have to have them". I don't really eat bread outside of burgers mainly (I rarely do sandwiches) so it's not really that big of a deal for me to avoid it. I don't see how avoiding grains is pushing some unhealthy viewpoint, we actually don't need to eat any carbs and our body is perfectly fine without them.

1724433593540.png

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
It depends on the rice. Same with pasta, American and Italian pasta is rather different, and Italians eat pasta as a side vs a main dish like Americans. Bakeries in America are massively less in number than say Europe (France has 50 times the bakeries per capita than the US). Plus, if you get a burger or sandwich or rolls from fast food or restaurant, you have really no idea where it's from. Even Panera used to have real bread, not anymore. It's just easier to avoid grains than do the research on them if you don't "have to have them". I don't really eat bread outside of burgers mainly (I rarely do sandwiches) so it's not really that big of a deal for me to avoid it. I don't see how avoiding grains is pushing some unhealthy viewpoint, we actually don't need to eat any carbs and our body is perfectly fine without them.

View attachment 11741
Once again, do you even lift bro?

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Huh? I'm pushing a unhealthy viewpoint how again?
I'm going to take that as a no on the "do you even lift" question.

Since you don't lift you don't seem to understand that people who work out have different dietary needs than the average person. This thread is specifically about lifting. It is not about the needs of "average" people. So yes, you are pushing an unhealthy viewpoint with regards to the needs of people who regularly work out.

For example, the average person needs 2000 calories per day for healthy functioning is the general viewpoint. For someone who actively lifts, plays sports, etc. 2000 calories would actually be way too little for proper functioning and muscle growth, and depending on what they were doing they would need between 2500 calories and 4000 calories and these values would be perfectly healthy. For the average person this would be unhealthy and cause weight gain to the point of obesity.

So yes, the information you're pushing is wrong for this thread, and your justification that it's what most people need is entirely inappropriate for the discussion being had here because this isn't a thread about nutrition for "most people." It's like saying that a Ferrari needs 87 octane gas just because it's what you put in your Toyota corolla.

You are completely out of your depth, what you think you know does not apply, and I have no idea why you're in this thread to begin with.

Last edited:

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I'm going to take that as a no on the "do you even lift" question.

Since you don't lift you don't seem to understand that people who work out have different dietary needs than the average person. This thread is specifically about lifting. It is not about the needs of "average" people. So yes, you are pushing an unhealthy viewpoint with regards to the needs of people who regularly work out.

For example, the average person needs 2000 calories per day for healthy functioning is the general viewpoint. For someone who actively lifts, plays sports, etc. 2000 calories would actually be way too little for proper functioning and muscle growth, and depending on what they were doing they would need between 2500 calories and 4000 calories and these values would be perfectly healthy. For the average person this would be unhealthy and cause weight gain to the point of obesity.

So yes, the information you're pushing is wrong for this thread, and your justification that it's what most people need is entirely inappropriate for the discussion being had here because this isn't a thread about nutrition for "most people." It's like saying that a Ferrari needs 87 octane gas just because it's what you put in your Toyota corolla.

You are completely out of your depth, what you think you know does not apply, and I have no idea why you're in this thread to begin with.
I was literally just agreeing with your statement here; hence why I quoted that exact part. I didn't say not to eat carbs to workout, but you do generally want to be burning fat vs carbs to lose fat obviously. Eat carbs at the ideal time before a workout to where you know you'll be burning those carbs while working out but outside of that, there's no reason to eat carbs if you are going for fat loss. Outside of the period of time you want to eat carbs for the workout, there's not much difference in ideal diet then between you and someone obese trying to lose weight; your Venn diagram has like 90% overlap essentially, that's what I was trying to point out.

Changes I've made: