Discuss and Rate the Last Film You Watched

Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
It's partly about not being able to constantly compare the 1984 version to the new one, but also about the films reaching their goals. Spring Breakers is trying to be a plotless, sleazy, lurid haze of sex, drugs and partying, and mostly succeeds at that by being consistent. Also, tits. It hints at possible character exploration or thematic substance, but goes no further. In that it's a successful film. Not one I enjoy, but it mostly succeeds at what it's going for. It sets the bar low and clears it.

Dune on the other hand not only sets the bar astronomically high, but chops off one of its legs before even attempting the jump by stuffing all its plot into one movie. It then proceeds to jump the wrong way, hits its head on the bar, and then falls in a catastrophic fumble before crashing into a bloody heap of broken bones and flesh. It's so filled with misguided and just plain inept choices that all the effort and money on display only makes it more painful to watch. Much like Showgirls, all the money and production value in the world cannot salvage the completely rotten interior.
Ah, I disagree about Dune being that bad, but ok, the idea that different goals changes the value for success makes sense.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Wicked Little Letters 4/5

This is one of those movies where you can watch a trailer and immediately know if it's for you or not and it will deliver on whatever expectations you have.
It came out a year or two ago I think, but wife and I finally got around to checking it out on Netflix this weekend.

It stars the great Olivia Coleman who is one of those actresses that elevates everything and Jessie Buckly who is Irish but the only thing I've ever seen her in is season 4 of Fargo doing the famous Fargo accent. It is a comedy/drama based on a true story in 1920s England where some mysterious culprit sent a bunch of swear-riddled insulting letters to a bunch of people in a small town and a poor Irish migrant woman was falsely accused of it.

I saw some criticisms that the "twist" was predictable but it's not really a mystery at all- it is a character study with mild social commentary, but really one of those movies where you get to see great actors doing snappy dialogue to brisk pacing and British accents. A really delightful little film especially if you like seeing Coleman do her thing.

Reactions: Phoenixmgs

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
It's partly about not being able to constantly compare the 1984 version to the new one, but also about the films reaching their goals. Spring Breakers is trying to be a plotless, sleazy, lurid haze of sex, drugs and partying, and mostly succeeds at that by being consistent. Also, tits. It hints at possible character exploration or thematic substance, but goes no further. In that it's a successful film. Not one I enjoy, but it mostly succeeds at what it's going for. It sets the bar low and clears it.

Dune on the other hand not only sets the bar astronomically high, but chops off one of its legs before even attempting the jump by stuffing all its plot into one movie. It then proceeds to jump the wrong way, hits its head on the bar, and then falls in a catastrophic fumble before crashing into a bloody heap of broken bones and flesh. It's so filled with misguided and just plain inept choices that all the effort and money on display only makes it more painful to watch. Much like Showgirls, all the money and production value in the world cannot salvage the completely rotten interior.
I will not stand for this Showgirls slander. At least it's entertaining, unlike *yawn* Dune.

Reactions: gorfias

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Checkmate (Jaque Mate)

More Argentine grub starring Adrián Suar. This one is a Mission Impossible knock-off in which Suar leads an international team of stereotypes: a Mexican explosives expert who yells Viva México whenever he blows up something, an Israeli hacker that keeps kvetching about working Shabbats and getting decent kosher food, and a Spanish femme fatale who bickers about Argentine slang and accents with Suar. Some isolated shots look nice but the action doesn't flow very convincingly, and the one heist is flimsy as fuck. The bad guy wears a cape. He's after pucks, for some reason. I think somebody in production just decided the word sounded cool for a MacGuffin.

Last edited:

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Ricky Stanicky - Amazon Prime

Surprisingly funny, and John Cena keeps surprising me by how good of a comedy actor he is.

I think it's worth a watch, there's not a lot of good comedy movies that have come out in the last few years.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
@Piscian, thanks again for the reminder. I saw John Woo's The Killer (2024 Remake). Pretty good movie overall that while a remake and has a similar premise, goes off in its own direction. The movie is not a shot for shot lazy remake. Woo has still got it in the action scene department. It's not "better" than the tragedy of the original, but is something different while being more in the tone of Hard Boiled.

The trailer for the original 1989 release.

Reactions: Piscian

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Crow 1994

Sat down and watched it this week. I have somewhat mixed feelings about it. The first thing that was really evident is how much of a "comicbook movie" it is. Its funny how when you think of comic book movies you think of all the marvel and DC movies that have come out over the last 15 years. Theres a very not subtle difference between modern superhero movies and "comicbook movies" of the 90s and 2000s. Every scene in The Crow is a set piece. In some cases its storyboards and panels are directly lifted from the comic. Every scene in the film is used to try and draw empathy from the audience. See this version of Detroit through the artists eye. The City is phenomenally dirty. Like literally falling apart with empty broken concrete streets barely lit as though theres one lamppost for the whole city. This shot near the opening really shows off the tone of the atmosphere in this film

Maxi-dogs.JPG

In the view of the audience you're picturing this one desolate hotdog in what appears to be an entirely abandoned neighborhood. Its funny how "fake" lowlight is used in films today because we "need" to see whats happening, but they do a great job here of using darkness to create focal points

The Crow.JPG
At times however The Crow can get a bit hampy with with scenes where he does a rock and roll anthem before smashing his guitar or the slow motion montage of trick or treaters joyfully running through downtown detroit.

crow guitar.JPG
At the same time these scenes still "work" within the context of the world set forth for the viewer. The film never "breaks character".
The crow table sit.JPG
There's definitely moments where I was like "ooh that dialog was a bit rough" or where the action gets very 80s especially towards the end with the metal inspired sword fight on the roof top, but I mean in a film whos scenes often start with songs like "After the Flesh" and Stone Temple Pilots "Big Empty" none of these quicks is really out of character.

Under hood The Crow is a cheesy 90s action revenge romp, but ultimately it's cult classics status is earned because it's knows what it wants to be and focused on looking slick and evocative. I think that's often what makes a cult classic. When people say "Oh yeah I remember that one scene.". Everybody remembers "that scene" from That Crow.
the crow window 1.JPG

I...still haven't watched the new one. I'm set my expectations low and hope I come out surprised.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Crow 1994

Sat down and watched it this week. I have somewhat mixed feelings about it. The first thing that was really evident is how much of a "comicbook movie" it is. Its funny how when you think of comic book movies you think of all the marvel and DC movies that have come out over the last 15 years. Theres a very not subtle difference between modern superhero movies and "comicbook movies" of the 90s and 2000s. Every scene in The Crow is a set piece. In some cases its storyboards and panels are directly lifted from the comic. Every scene in the film is used to try and draw empathy from the audience. See this version of Detroit through the artists eye. The City is phenomenally dirty. Like literally falling apart with empty broken concrete streets barely lit as though theres one lamppost for the whole city. This shot near the opening really shows off the tone of the atmosphere in this film
I saw this again earlier back in 2024. I can't find much wrong with it. Call me bias, because I am from Detroit. The movie has the perfect tone, pacing, theme, and atmosphere and owns what it is doing and it wants to be. I can watch this and never be bored.

The real tragedy with The Crow, besides the obvious, is that it really shows just how much potential Brandon Lee had as an actor.
Indeed.

I...still haven't watched the new one. I'm set my expectations low and hope I come out surprised.
I plan on watching either tomorrow, or on the weekend when I have more time.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I never felt The Crow was as special as a lot of people seem to think, but I feel that might also be retro active appreciation, as it's a movie from a time where directors still had a voice in their own movies. Back in the day, besides being one of the first movies to really embrace the goth aesthetic and the tragic death of the lead, there's really not that much that made it stand out from the rest. Even the excellent soundtrack wasn't unusual for movies in the 90's. Heck, Tank Girl and Dumb and Dumber had killer soundtracks. If we take the three main '90's cool' movies; The Crow, Blade, and The Matrix, I still think The Crow ends up last on that list.

However, Brandon Lee strikes an impressive figure, and it is only now that I realize how well he made this character work. This could've easily fallen apart, with the trenchcoat and the make-up making him look silly. But even now 30 years later, with as much cringe as there can be in this movie, Lee still looks legitimately awesome. It helps that he can be very kind and charming in moments so that the whole dark avenger shtick doesn't become obnoxious. And he can also be quite the scary motherf*cker when need be. You see him in that boardroom shoot-out, when he's all guns akimbo with a voracious look on his face, and he's just a beast that you can't take your eyes off of.

I guess that the best compliment I give The Crow; Brandon Lee makes this movie age far better than it otherwise would have.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
This is like a typical 80's movie, but with all the Hollywood bravado and machismo filtered out of it. You have the hero, the villain, the damsel, but... it's not that kind of movie at all eventhough the hero "wins" in the end. That final zoomed-out shot just holding on Jim's character as the credits roll is fucking haunting.

I need to watch this movie again.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Crow 1994

View attachment 11764

In the view of the audience you're picturing this one desolate hotdog in what appears to be an entirely abandoned neighborhood. Its funny how "fake" lowlight is used in films today because we "need" to see whats happening, but they do a great job here of using darkness to create focal points

View attachment 11765
At times however The Crow can get a bit hampy with with scenes where he does a rock and roll anthem before smashing his guitar or the slow motion montage of trick or treaters joyfully running through downtown detroit.

View attachment 11770
At the same time these scenes still "work" within the context of the world set forth for the viewer. The film never "breaks character".
View attachment 11771
There's definitely moments where I was like "ooh that dialog was a bit rough" or where the action gets very 80s especially towards the end with the metal inspired sword fight on the roof top, but I mean in a film whos scenes often start with songs like "After the Flesh" and Stone Temple Pilots "Big Empty" none of these quicks is really out of character.

Under hood The Crow is a cheesy 90s action revenge romp, but ultimately it's cult classics status is earned because it's knows what it wants to be and focused on looking slick and evocative. I think that's often what makes a cult classic. When people say "Oh yeah I remember that one scene.". Everybody remembers "that scene" from That Crow.
View attachment 11772

I read the comic after seeing the movie and it was a terrific example of how they can use the comic as almost a story board but then deviate enough to greatly improve upon it. 30 year old spoiler
The comic is just a by the numbers revenge story moving from A to B to C. A lot like "The Quick and the Dead" in that, you just watch gun fight after gun fight till the end. This added a number of terrific elements. Humanizing the Crow. It's just a persona he puts on but can revert back to himself at will. And most of all, adding an element of suspense by coming up with a credible threat to his near invulnerability, to whit, shooting the crow. I don't recall the comic having anything like that.
And remember, this came out when "Batman Forever" was about as good as it got for fans like me.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
Princess Mononoke

I think this is my 7th time watching it, and I can never get tired of it. I genuinely think it's one of Ghibli's finest films.

First off, the animation has aged gracefully. From the opening hour of Ashitaka riding through the land, to the climatic battle between the boars and the humans, all the way to the final scene of tree elves returning, there wasn't a single scene where I wasn't impressed with the quality that Mr. Miyazaki was put into. Even the simple scene where Ashitaka and Jiko-bo (The monk that Ashitaka first meets) are having dinner over campfire is amazing.

Facial expression is especially great. Modern anime often tends to portray emotions as Over-the-top to add some comedic effect (i.e. Face gets larger when yelling or angry). But Miyazaki doesn't do that. Instead, he work portrays a genuine emotions, such as Ashitaka in pain from the curse, or San's look of fear when she becomes part of the curse. They all make me feel what they are feeling, and it allows immersion to an amazing degree.

Second, the music and sound are amazing. Holy fucking shit, whoever composed the theme music deserves a medal. I already talked about the part where Ashitaka is riding through the land, but I don't think it would've been as powerful if it wasn't accompanied by that amazing score. I could literally listen to that song all day.

But the music from later part of the movie is also great, particularly the song in the end that promises a brighter future for both the humans and the forest spirits. The sound effects are quite great as well. That scene where Ashitaka shoots off both of bandit's arms felt so amazing because not only did it look like a powerful shot but it also sounded like a powerful shot. How about that scene where Lady Eboshi's soldiers are firing off the guns or bombs? Or that scene where the boar god succumbs to the curse?

Lastly, and suddenly not least, the story, writing, and the characters blew my mind. The movie could've easily been "Preserve the nature" shitick. But the movie brilliantly does more by showing both sides of the war. Lady Eboshi is one of my favorite Studio characters. At first, she is shown to genuinely care for her people, and is shown as competent and charismatic. But we soon see that she has dark side, that she is willing to destroy the forest god to expand her little empire of iron for humanity's better future.

We also see nature's side on this, especially the boar god and his soldiers, of how they are willing to commit complete genocide of humans and gladly throw down their lives to achieve their goal. While watching, I really couldn't pick which side to stand with, just like Ashitaka who is trying to stop both sides on destroying each other and ending the curse. Other than Lady Eboshi and the boar god, the characters are very believable and relatable. San struggles between being a wolf and a human, Ashitaka is constantly trying to find ways to end things peacefully to end the curse, and even Jiko-bo feels relatable when he is trying to take the head of the god for himself. There really aren't any villains here

Ashitaka's line "Look, everyone! This is what hatred looks like! This is what it does when it catches hold of you! It's eating me alive and very soon now it will kill me. Fear and anger only make it grow faster." is a chilling yet honest. I feel this line applies to not only the destruction of nature, but our hatred and anger in general as well. The line made me realize the curse in the movie is a metaphor for how hatred can lead us into destruction, and we must learn to co-exists with each other. The message feels relevant even today.

It's also one of the rare violent films from Ghibli. The first time I saw this movie it was right after watching Spirited Away, and I remember being in complete shock how vioent and dark the film was compared to Spirited Away.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It's also one of the rare violent films from Ghibli. The first time I saw this movie it was right after watching Spirited Away, and I remember being in complete shock how vioent and dark the film was compared to Spirited Away.
Princess Mononoke was my first Ghibli movie. Imagine a 10 year old me seeing that in theaters back in September of 1999.

Reactions: FakeSympathy