Discuss and Rate the Last Thing You Watched (non-movies)

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Caught up in Yellowjackets

Season 2 finishes on a weird note, with at least more character development in the last few episodes than anything beforehand. Still leaves the carrot dangling as to just wtf is going on, so I guess we’ll see what season 3 brings next year. Not holding my breath or anything though, as this was kind of a filler show.
I love Yellowjackets but I can't really argue with this, it was hitting the point where I'm not confident they know where they're going with it. And with so long in between seasons, my interest level dropping hard.
Appropriate that when the show started it was compared with Lost due to the premise, and now again I'm doing that as a show that started off awesome and then got... well, lost.

Season 3 should end the story, if not I dunno if I'll bother. And it's a shame because it's maybe my favorite cast of any recent show.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
I love Yellowjackets but I can't really argue with this, it was hitting the point where I'm not confident they know where they're going with it. And with so long in between seasons, my interest level dropping hard.
Appropriate that when the show started it was compared with Lost due to the premise, and now again I'm doing that as a show that started off awesome and then got... well, lost.

Season 3 should end the story, if not I dunno if I'll bother. And it's a shame because it's maybe my favorite cast of any recent show.
The trivia section mentioned it started out as a film adaption based on the Lord of the Flies novel, but was later converted to a series. So maybe that had something to do with its meandering nature. Also interesting is a note from one of the show runners about how a quote by someone about The Lord of the Flies tragedy being something that “would never happen with women” (because they’re considered more socialized essentially) was a point of contention which sort of sparked the idea for Yellowjackets.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Uzumaki on Max. I've never seen the quality of a show plummet so dramatically from ep 1 to ep 2. It's COVID, and the studio blowing the budget out of the gates, and the show changing animation studios aways into production, and if you ask producer Jason De Marco it's actually "one or two people". All very sus.

Episode two looks like a mock-up of what you're shooting for. There are shots where the cross hatching, the furious pencilling that simulates shading, bleeds over lines like bad coloring. Design lines are also just left in instead of being erased or painted over. And this isn't an impressionistic effect that arcs over the aesthetic of the show or some such. I'm talking about lone isolated shots that every now and then betray the sloppiness and overall half-bakeness of the work.

I'm not even getting into how crudely the animation itself plays out. Anime is designed around taking crude shortcuts and playing them off as stylistic choices, sorry not sorry. But in contrast to the preceding 24 minutes, Uzumaki's second episode looks like the dog really ate the homework.