Status
Not open for further replies.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
There are PLENTY of people who have opposed peaceful protests. Nothing changed until they started burning places down.
Yep, we're witnessing Overton's Window shifting before our eyes.

Large chunk of the public either ignored Kapernick, or argued he's "taking it too far" and complained about the incovenience of peaceful protests obstructing traffic etc.
Now, after few buildings burnt down, they're much more positive about them.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States

Stop and frisk is infamous in New York, and legal in 23 states. California, where the lawyer you linked has a practice in, is not one of those states. To him and his jurisdiction, it's illegal. In New York and other states, it's legal.

Sorry.
So if we're going to go into the quagmire of "Black child running = Crime happening somewhere", let's do it.

Other than my race, why be suspicious of a crime? I could have been running for my life, I could have been running to catch a train (which I was!), I could have been running for practice, I could have been running to get to the gas station and get some food, I could have been running to see my girl.

Any one of those are just as likely as crime. If they had no calls, and were bored enough to just go driving around looking for something to do, it was a slow night. In fact when they had me pressed up against the fence, I could hear the police on the walkie talkies shooting the breeze because they were so bored. Nothing was happening that night. So a reasonable suspicion measure is getting harder to meet.

If the only reason they had suspicion in their hearts because it was a black child running, sorry, what I posted comes into play. Due Process isn't eliminated by Stop and Frisk, especially if the only suspicion is dependent on Dark Kid Running. 'Title VI of the 1964 Civil Rights Act' trumps 'Stop and Frisk'.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
So if we're going to go into the quagmire of "Black child running = Crime happening somewhere", let's do it.

Other than my race, why be suspicious of a crime?
According to Wikipedia, all they need is "Reasonable suspicion", which is an intentionally vague term. I don't think arguing about whether your personal experience would meet this standard would be very productive, but I'll do it anyway:

Other than my race, why be suspicious of a crime?
Because it was very late, and you were running. That's all they would probably need to say in order convince a judge that they had reasonable suspicion.

'Title VI of the 1964 Civil Rights Act' trumps 'Stop and Frisk'.
Not when the stop-and-frisk is valid, it doesn't, or rather, your civil rights aren't being violated.

Last edited:

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Are bees, taps, fire ants or toasters intending to change national policy? Are they carrying out marches as shows of force? It's seen as a warning sign, of the direction the situation could go if it's met with complacency or equivocation.
and if they want their message out their and to change national policy the best move is to ignore them. They're no more likely to change national policy than bees, taps or toasters.

Dude, I've been at protests in which the tactic was invoked in the UK. It most certainly did not work. It put people in incredible danger and provoked more violence.
So why does it keep working then?

Uhrm, yep. Which have no say over members of others, or Protestants who're unaffiliated.
But because they have a leadership structure you can't just claim any random person claiming to be one speaks for the organisation or can represent views within it

So you believe lots of perfectly moderate centre-right people willingly and knowingly turned out to a march organised by neo-Nazis, to march with self-proclaimed white supremacist groups and the KKK.

Bollocks.
Wouldn't be hard to invite people and obscure the details a bit and rely on them not checking the details themselves.

Yup! Which is, yet again, unrelated to the First Amendment or freedom of speech.

If you believe he should've been allowed to speak, that's fine, I'm not disputing that. I'm saying that the freedom of speech has nothing to do with entitling people to platforms.
Yet that platform is in essence funded by public money and obliged to protect freedom of speech which would include the freedom of speech for those using said speaking facilities.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Large chunk of the public either ignored Kapernick, or argued he's "taking it too far" and complained about the incovenience of peaceful protests obstructing traffic etc.
Now, after few buildings burnt down, they're much more positive about them.
I don't know if anyone is more positive about Kaepernik. The man himself is still a self-centered turd.

Kneeling only got the attention it did because it was viewed so positively. He originally sat for the anthem, and was basically ignored, then he took to kneeling because it was more respectful, and that got other players to join him. If anything, Kaepernik was a barrier to people supporting the movement he started, because again, he's not particularly well liked.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Something a bit lighter for people.

Some-one mad a tourism guide for Chaz / Chop

Yikes. Reaching real hard there for those unbiased sources, aren't you mate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Research_Center said:
The Media Research Center (MRC) is an American politically conservative content analysis group based in Reston, Virginia, founded in 1987 by L. Brent Bozell III.[2] It characterizes itself as a media watchdog,[2] whereas the Columbia Journalism Review considers it "propaganda clothed as critique".[3]

The nonprofit MRC has received financial support primarily from Robert Mercer,[4] but with several other conservative-leaning sources, including the Bradley, Scaife, Olin, Castle Rock, Carthage and JM foundations, as well as ExxonMobil.[5][6][7] It has been described as "one of the most active and best-funded, and yet least known" arms of the modern conservative movement.[8] The organization rejects the scientific consensus on climate change, and criticizes media coverage that reflects the scientific consensus.[6][9]
Totally not on topic: How long has copy-pasting from wikipedia kept all of the links working including footnotes and such? That's pretty awesome.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Yikes. Reaching real hard there for those unbiased sources, aren't you mate.

Totally not on topic: How long has copy-pasting from wikipedia kept all of the links working including footnotes and such? That's pretty awesome.
Two points.

1) I'm not a journalist
2) I said it was something lighter (as in not serious)

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America

Take away their guns.

Dude, I've been at protests in which the tactic was invoked in the UK. It most certainly did not work. It put people in incredible danger and provoked more violence.

I've never been more scared for my safety, and I wasn't doing anything violent or illegal. And it was the actions of the police which put me in that immediate danger.
So why does it keep working then?
You mean why does it keep happening? Because the objectives of police are compatible with endangering citizens and provoking more violence.

Last edited:

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
So, burning down a Target accomplished all this. Perhaps it was good to burn down the Target.

JACK
POSOBIEC
So 175 stores worth of people lost their jobs

They'll pay people $15 an hour but employ less and expect those employed to do more likely with less hours

They'll remove 1 days holiday leave from everyone and meaning people have to take it just on that day instead of when they want

and they donated a whole 0.3% of their yearly profits (not revenue profits) in a nice tax deductible donation to various causes.

Well that mega corporation sure is making an effort and not at all likely just trying to appease the mob and make itself look good to stop being a Target itself. ./s

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Wild ass world. Wonder at what point they’ll start using the stronger grenade launchers that cam embed tear gas in skulls.

Reactions: Seanchaidh

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Dramatically wilder content has emerged.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Wild ass world. Wonder at what point they’ll start using the stronger grenade launchers that cam embed tear gas in skulls.
The USA needs to get on the UK's level.

We have concrete ones to protect places (normally small ones to stop vehicle attacks)but they disguise them as benches.

Dramatically wilder content has emerged.
can anyone hear a weird siren noise going off?

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
can anyone hear a weird siren noise going off?
Nope. This Halloween mask makes it really hard to hear over the sound of this chainsaw.
Also, people treating it like it's open season on white people:

So... not a race war, right?

If this movement were called "Police Reform Now" instead of "Black Lives Matter", we would probably have significantly fewer numbers of people thinking that this is about race, and instead, directing their energies on the "real enemy"

Am I alone in thinking that this will only lead to more racism?

Last edited:

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I have a very specific question about this. For me, being asked to wait in the waiting bay is very normal. Like half my interaction. So... I don’t get the concern food. And I understand it’s mainly she’s stressed. But the whole interaction is a normal as McDonald’s gets..

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
So 175 stores worth of people lost their jobs

They'll pay people $15 an hour but employ less and expect those employed to do more likely with less hours

They'll remove 1 days holiday leave from everyone and meaning people have to take it just on that day instead of when they want

and they donated a whole 0.3% of their yearly profits (not revenue profits) in a nice tax deductible donation to various causes.

Well that mega corporation sure is making an effort and not at all likely just trying to appease the mob and make itself look good to stop being a Target itself. ./s
Just one thing. So, to pay more staff, the only way to accomplish this is to reduce the pay of minimum wage workers.

Sounds like wealth redistribution to me

Reactions: Buyetyen and Hawki

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Nope. This Halloween mask makes it really hard to hear over the sound of this chainsaw.

Also, people treating it like it's open season on white people:

So... not a race war, right?

If this movement were called "Police Reform Now" instead of "Black Lives Matter", we would probably have significantly fewer numbers of people thinking that this is about race, and instead, directing their energies on the "real enemy"

Yeah, uh, looking at that guy he might be kinda happy about the whole race war thing, given how much he’s retweeting people saying to get a gun and kill “black thugs.” And calling black people apes and animals. Uh. I... I can’t say I trust him.

Edit- yeah bro, that guy’s a Nazi. How the fuck did you stumble across a Nazi?

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Yeah, uh, looking at that guy he might be kinda happy about the whole race war thing, given how much he’s retweeting people saying to get a gun and kill “black thugs.” And calling black people apes and animals. Uh. I... I can’t say I trust him.

Edit- yeah bro, that guy’s a Nazi. How the fuck did you stumble across a Nazi?
What? Who? Nazis? Oh, sorry, I was just looking at the video.
I thought trying to dig into people's pasts in order to discredit them, like with George Floyd and his multiple stints in jail, was wrong?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane

Possibly.

I very much doubt ‘Police Reform Now’ would have lead to anything. I’ve heard far too many people saying that Floyd deserved it Because he’s a bad guy. I doubt Chauvin would have lost his job or been charged. There has been too many instances crop in the past few weeks that lead to cases be reopened. And it’s ONLY because the race card was played.

But I agree, making it about race could lead to more black on white violence. We will see. Seems like the exact response slavers used as an excuse to keep their slaves. Or against Haiti. (Which ended up being legit). But then the police have been told so many times that black men are bad (remember, even Obama, the president, was seen as one of the most evil things that have happened to America, destroying society, wanting to steal you guns, daughters and kill you, white people. It’s legit funny when people call on liberals to be nicer to Trump Because he’s the president after seeing 8 years of that.) so it no wonder the Police see them as suspicious all the time. The amount of times the ‘Black on Black’ crime has come out this month to... distract from police brutality is ridiculous. (I really don’t know why talking about ‘black on black’ crime trumps police brutality argument wise, but some people think that’s a conversation winner.) Also, ‘black people commit more crime‘ because, as we all know, skin tones make you want to steal and kill. So a race card is played back and it’s been VERY interesting to see how people view black people

Status
Not open for further replies.