Miller talking more about next Mad Max being a Furiosa prequel

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I really do not get it. Why does Hollywood love prequels? I want to go forward. I want a story that tells me how things have developed. While they CAN be good, (Better Call Saul) it's only because they may as not be a prequel. They tell a story that is independently good.
So, why they doing it?
I thought Hardy did a good enough job in the role. But moving far enough forward, hell yeah bring Mel back!
And please do make it more about Max next time. It's his flipping movie! Putting Furiosa so central? It's like making the next Thor movie and making it about a woman getting his hammer... oh wait.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I really do not get it. Why does Hollywood love prequels? I want to go forward. I want a story that tells me how things have developed. While they CAN be good, (Better Call Saul) it's only because they may as not be a prequel. They tell a story that is independently good.
So, why they doing it?
I thought Hardy did a good enough job in the role. But moving far enough forward, hell yeah bring Mel back!
And please do make it more about Max next time. It's his flipping movie! Putting Furiosa so central? It's like making the next Thor movie and making it about a woman getting his hammer... oh wait.
From a money perspective it makes sense. With a prequel you don't need people to have seen the original movie so you probably get more people coming in to see it. And storywise you aren't stuck with all the baggage of what happened in the original so you can kinda start from scratch.

Reactions: gorfias

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Oh yeah, I actually forgot about that. There was no need for some kinda super special weakness, I mean you still would need the plans for it to find those weaknesses but you don't need one specifically designed into it.
Yeah, I always figured the space station simply needed a vent for its massive core and that they expected no one to find the flaw and penetrate their defenses. They were aware of the flaw, which was why the shaft was ray-shielded and why there were so many artillery guns on the north pole.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Yeah, I always figured the space station simply needed a vent for its massive core and that they expected no one to find the flaw and penetrate their defenses. They were aware of the flaw, which was why the shaft was ray-shielded and why there were so many artillery guns on the north pole.
I assumed it was exhaust for the heat from the reactor needed to fire the weapon, would make sense that getting an explosive down that would be trouble. yeah, the sheer amount of defensive emplacements and trench implies they were aware of it.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
To be fair, look at the size of the Death Star, and all the people who run it (canon has it that it houses hundreds of thousands), and all the machinery. Do you really think a single 2 meter wide vent is gonna be able to vent all of that excess heat? There would have to be billions of them all over the station.

It honestly doesn't bear analysis. The rebels got the plans, studied them over, found a weak spot, and the underdog triumphed over the allmighty empire. Anything more is pointless fan wank.

But hey, since we're fan wanking anyway: the empire was not initially aware of the weakness. There is a line as fighters are flying through the trench, an aide comes up to Tarkin and says "We've analyzed the Rebels' attack, there may be a danger to the station, we have your shuttle ready for you to flee" or some such. To which Tarkin replies famously "Evacuate? In our moment of triumph? I think you overestimate their chances." It clearly implies that the empire identified the rebels' target and its possible danger only after the rebels attacked.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
Eh, wasn't really fussed on Fury Road anyway. Was just a long car chase for the most part. It wasn't a bad car chase or anything, but still.
You just have no appreciation for the AHHHHT of cinema.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I literally do not see how, I hated that movie which is actually pretty hard for me. The only 2 scenes I liked from it was the scene with the rebel ship that rams that star destroyer and the Darth Vader scene at the end. But, the characters were just super boring, the plot elements contradicted plot points from the original movie, such as Vader literally seeing the ship with Leia leaving the battle, you have all that weird shit about Hope, like the speech that Jyn gave to people that wouldn't be motivated by hope, or that stupid line at the end with bad cgi Leia just looking at the camera and saying hope. Just blegh.
It's probably because I don't think the originals are well written. At all. It's either the bare bones cardboard cutout character or a basic subversion of it. I mean, Luke's character, other than chosen one, is whiny brat. Obi wan is too scared to take on the Empire himself but sends out an untrained teenager. Star Wars relied on spectacle rather than substance

From the Benny Hill chase scene in the Death Star to an utterly pointless chase through the asteroids (well, the point was Luke needed a couple of day training with Yoda and Lucas had no idea what to do with all the other characters) to Solo pretending to be a badass in the cantina and then goes around screaming for 30 mins to a character whose on purpose is to state the stakes because Lucas cant visualize that for us in the movie

Rogue one isnt the best written movie and it's clearly two movies squahed together. But that's par for the course for Star Wars

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
To be fair, look at the size of the Death Star, and all the people who run it (canon has it that it houses hundreds of thousands), and all the machinery. Do you really think a single 2 meter wide vent is gonna be able to vent all of that excess heat? There would have to be billions of them all over the station.

It honestly doesn't bear analysis. The rebels got the plans, studied them over, found a weak spot, and the underdog triumphed over the allmighty empire. Anything more is pointless fan wank.

But hey, since we're fan wanking anyway: the empire was not initially aware of the weakness. There is a line as fighters are flying through the trench, an aide comes up to Tarkin and says "We've analyzed the Rebels' attack, there may be a danger to the station, we have your shuttle ready for you to flee" or some such. To which Tarkin replies famously "Evacuate? In our moment of triumph? I think you overestimate their chances." It clearly implies that the empire identified the rebels' target and its possible danger only after the rebels attacked.
Not really. It merely implies the builders were aware of the flaw (because why else all the defenses, including ray shield?), but the operators were not immediately aware of everything relevant about the station when a specific weakness was targeted. Just like you don't know ALL the inner workings of your car that's manufactured by someone else.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
(because why else all the defenses, including ray shield?)
Standard precautions. The thing probably has 10 laser turrets per square kilometer, and that ray shielding didn't actually stop the torpedoes from flying down the hole, so obviously it wasn't actually meant for defense against military grade munitions. If they knew it was a fatal weakness, why didn't they guard it more?

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Standard precautions. The thing probably has 10 laser turrets per square kilometer, and that ray shielding didn't actually stop the torpedoes from flying down the hole, so obviously it wasn't actually meant for defense against military grade munitions. If they knew it was a fatal weakness, why didn't they guard it more?
For the plot. The Rebels could have shot a big laser directly down into the shaft without the ray shield. "Ray shield" clearly implies what it's for.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
For the plot. The Rebels could have shot a big laser directly down into the shaft without the ray shield. "Ray shield" clearly implies what it's for.
So the Empire was aware enough of the weakness to install a shield to repel minor projectiles, but not bigger ones? C'mon dude.

Also,

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
So the Empire was aware enough of the weakness to install a shield to repel minor projectiles, but not bigger ones? C'mon dude.

Also,
A laser/ray isn't a projectile. You still haven't explained why the port has a ray shield. You say standard precautions but then deny they knew. Precautions against what? C'mon, dude.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
What Mad Max movie has ever really been about Max other than the first one? Mad Max 2 wasn't about Max either. He was just a guy who showed up, helped out, and then disapeared into the night. Just like in Fury Road. Max works better if he isn't the central focus, but is viewed through the perspective of others, like the feral kid, the gyro captain, and the survivors at the oil rig in Mad Max 2, and Furiosa, Nux, and the wives in Fury Road.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
What Mad Max movie has ever really been about Max other than the first one? Mad Max 2 wasn't about Max either. He was just a guy who showed up, helped out, and then disapeared into the night. Just like in Fury Road. Max works better if he isn't the central focus, but is viewed through the perspective of others, like the feral kid, the gyro captain, and the survivors at the oil rig in Mad Max 2, and Furiosa, Nux, and the wives in Fury Road.
This. I never got so called hardcore fans complaints. Y'all have seen Mad Max 2 & Thunderdome?

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
This. I never got so called hardcore fans complaints. Y'all have seen Mad Max 2 & Thunderdome?
I have a feeling they aren't actually fans, just assholes who were part of the anti-sjw thing that was going on at the time. I mean we saw "fans" complaining that Star Trek was going too far with diversity, when that was Star Trek's whole thing from pretty much the first series.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I mean we saw "fans" complaining that Star Trek was going too far with diversity, when that was Star Trek's whole thing from pretty much the first series.
There were people complaining about this? Color me surprised.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
There were people complaining about this? Color me surprised.
Unfortunately I can't remember the exact thing they were bitching about, it was awhile ago. I'm pretty sure it was related to having a female captain or some of the gays or something in the show. They were claiming to be 'true fans' that didn't want the sjw agenda or something stupid like that since it was really obvious they had never seen the show before. I think this was around the same time that some right wing idiots managed to get James Gunn fired.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Unfortunately I can't remember the exact thing they were bitching about, it was awhile ago. I'm pretty sure it was related to having a female captain or some of the gays or something in the show. They were claiming to be 'true fans' that didn't want the sjw agenda or something stupid like that since it was really obvious they had never seen the show before. I think this was around the same time that some right wing idiots managed to get James Gunn fired.
Part of it, I think, is that Star Trek is almost 60 years ago. Having a cast as diverse as they did in the 60s was pushing boundaries back then, but it's not that impressive nowdays.

So you've got people feeling wonderfully progressive as long as they are the same as they were 2 generations ago. IMHO, Star Trek was about moving forward (I don't want to say "boldly go", but whatever), which means you can't fall behind the curve. Oh, we've got gay people nowdays, well done. Don't expect a big prize, that might have been an achievement a few series ago in the 20th century, things are different now.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I'd say he is more like Clint Eastwood's "Man with No Name". The story itself revolves around others (like the town needing to escape the bad guys in Mad Max 2) but it is Max (and Clint) that is central to the action of achieving that aim. Yes, there are other strong characters in those earlier movies, but I'd argue Max was far more central then than in Fury Road, which I did like very much. I just really need much more Max.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Part of it, I think, is that Star Trek is almost 60 years ago. Having a cast as diverse as they did in the 60s was pushing boundaries back then, but it's not that impressive nowdays.

So you've got people feeling wonderfully progressive as long as they are the same as they were 2 generations ago. IMHO, Star Trek was about moving forward (I don't want to say "boldly go", but whatever), which means you can't fall behind the curve. Oh, we've got gay people nowdays, well done. Don't expect a big prize, that might have been an achievement a few series ago in the 20th century, things are different now.
No, this is from right wingers, not progressives.

Reactions: BrawlMan