Why do so many people not have avatars?

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I'm seeing more new people join but almost all of them just blend into a sea of letters and I don't understand why they don't just grab even a picture of their cat for use as an avatar.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
I have found that there are people on the internet with such a minimalist sense of aesthetics (to the point that implying that they have a sense of aesthetics at all is being polite) that they ask for options to turn off avatars, period.

I mentally categorize them as things that would get me in trouble if said out loud.

I've also had a couple of friends who joined the new forums who needed help figuring out how to upload an avatar, so, could also be tech illiteracy, since the method for doing so here is pretty standard.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I have found that there are people on the internet with such a minimalist sense of aesthetics (to the point that implying that they have a sense of aesthetics at all is being polite) that they ask for options to turn off avatars, period.

I mentally categorize them as things that would get me in trouble if said out loud.

I've also had a couple of friends who joined the new forums who needed help figuring out how to upload an avatar, so, could also be tech illiteracy, since the method for doing so here is pretty standard.
Because some of us don't give a shit about the little thumbnail picture to the side, and pay it no attention at all.

Reactions: Lodgem and BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Who cares? If the user wants an avatar or not, that is up to him or her. It don't bother me much.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Beats me. 26 options is preferable to two, though. I already associate the red H with happyninja42 and the yellow E with Eacaraxe, for example.

Drathnoxis

I love the smell of card games in the morning
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
This is something I ask myself every time the forum changes and everybody's avatars reset. I believe the answer is a lot of people are FRICKEN LAZY. SET YOUR AVATARS, IT DRIVES ME CRAZY! GAH!

Also spite. They do it because it bugs me and they know it.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
Because my post in the 'get your legacy badge here' thread was ignored and it was the worst injustice of all time, so fuck avatars.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Because i :
- don't want to use pictures against the wishes of the artist for my profile
- don't trust those various internet avatar sites to actually bother with getting the rights or consent
- haven't found a good picture yet that i want to be associated with and that really is free (not that i spent that much time looking)

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Because only one Avatar can bring balance to the world, and the rest of them buggered off to Pandora.