ValiDate, a Dating Sim

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Lets see, what games could be considered SJW. Well, we have the aformentioned 'Life is Strange' which I suppose would be, then I guess 'Undertale' would fit that too, I suppose the 'Borderlands' games could be SJW giving the diversity of the characters, I've heard people rail against 'Dragon Age' for being SJW so lets throw that in there too, fuck I remember seeing people ***** about 'Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice' as being SJW because she wasn't hot so that goes on the list also.
Diversity doesn't make a game SJW Worgen. Any game that is good, any game that is written well, will have diverse characters because that's what happens when you have good writing. You end up with a diverse cast that's interesting because that's how good writing works.

Bad writing, writing for SJW gimmicks, is easy to spot (see the Original post).

There is a big difference. Sorry if you can't see that.

if Validate made enough money off patreon to get completed, then great for them. But that's a different thing than being a successful video game and you know it.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I do find it funny that Streets of rage was never once called an sjw game despite it being very multicultural for a past 29 years. Funny enough, nor Shante or River City girls.
I did see some about that with River City Girls, but generally if things come from an older IP they seem to be able to avoid being called SJW. Its weird. Plus, Shantae has a bit too much of her being sexy for the anti-sjw crowd to go after her. Really the main controversy I remember with her was they had some early versions when they moved away from pixel graphics of her being really white and got called out for that then made her a bit more brown.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Diversity doesn't make a game SJW Worgen. Any game that is good, any game that is written well, will have diverse characters because that's what happens when you have good writing. You end up with a diverse cast that's interesting because that's how good writing works.

Bad writing, writing for SJW gimmicks, is easy to spot (see the Original post).

There is a big difference. Sorry if you can't see that.

if Validate made enough money off patreon to get completed, then great for them. But that's a different thing than being a successful video game and you know it.
Oh but the great thing about SJW is that SJW is that it means whatever the person using as an insult wants it to mean, its fucken poorly defined as fuck.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Wintermute

Elite Member
Apr 25, 2020
Pindorama
Character designs aren't very consistent, half of them are very uninspired, and their bios are awful. And Yolanda is problematic I'd say. Her favorite band is a bunch of white dudes.

Reactions: MrCalavera

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Oh but the great thing about SJW is that SJW is that it means whatever the person using as an insult wants it to mean, its fucken poorly defined as fuck.
I think having a bio that says literally "F**k white people" is pretty clearly an SJW game. Considering hating 83.6% of the WORLD's population is like the popular thing to do these days.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I did see some about that with River City Girls, but generally if things come from an older IP they seem to be able to avoid being called SJW. Its weird. Plus, Shantae has a bit too much of her being sexy for the anti-sjw crowd to go after her. Really the main controversy I remember with her was they had some early versions when they moved away from pixel graphics of her being really white and got called out for that then made her a bit more brown.
I actually remember that. They originally we're not intending on making her light, it's just that one of the screens got released, it was showing what she would look like under a different lighting at night. And for that one screen and gave her a paler complexion. People immediately freaked out. Wayforward still apologized, but I thought they should have not apologize for something they were still working on and were not close to finished yet.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
The art style offends my sensibilities way more than the bios of these beings.

Now, here's the real question; is this more or less cringe-worthy than the recent Gamer Girl simpulator where you play as a stream-chat-moderator of an e-thot?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I did see some about that with River City Girls, but generally if things come from an older IP they seem to be able to avoid being called SJW. Its weird. Plus, Shantae has a bit too much of her being sexy for the anti-sjw crowd to go after her.
Which can show how shallow and hypocritical the anti-sjw (and sjw side are just as shallow too, as both are two sides of the same coin) can be. Yes, Shantae is a bit more sexy, but she can clearly take care of herself, but is no perfect role model either (no one really is). Not to mention she is someone of different ethnicity. In fact, a lot of the older IPs have things anti-sjw would hate. Street Fighter, King of Fighters/Fatal Fury, Tekken, Devil May Cry, Resident Evil, Dino Crisis, Soul Calibur, Samurai Showdown, and DOA (yes, I am counting them too). Sure each series has varying degrees of fan-service or increased fan-service, but all of them have bad ass men and women of different race, color, religion, or gender with their own unique traits, characters flaws, and quirks. This is especially true with Street Fighter (does this the best), KoF, and Tekken. The Resident Evil Series is full of bad ass women: Jill (starred in 3 games as the main character; in 5 she was a supporting character), Claire (in 3 games too, though she shares the spotlight for the first half in the last two), Sheva, Rebecca, Moira Burton, Ada (though I hated her character in 4 and above), and even Sherry Birkin gets in on the act. We don't talk about Helena. Claire should have been Leon's partner in 6. I do not know why Capcom wasted that opportunity.

DMC has Trish, Lady (Mary), and Lucia. They all have character and different personalities. Though Trish and Lady become Dante-lite in 4 only, thankfully, and more or less their full selves in 5. Lady has the most character development aside from Dante on the heroes side. Ironic, because the reboot has nothing in it the anti-sjw would hate. Other than the stereotypical blue/orange contrast, but most people got tired of that way in to the 2010s.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
I do see the devs probably going to be pilled on by dipshits yelling about not enough white people and diversity and things like that.
I see them being piled on for being openly racist.
I'm sure they'll be piled on for those reasons too, but let's not try to combine them under one umbrella.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I think having a bio that says literally "F**k white people" is pretty clearly an SJW game. Considering hating 83.6% of the WORLD's population is like the popular thing to do these days.
And there it is, the specter of the sjw, come to take away... something, or lead our youth to do... something.

People immediately freaked out. Wayforward still apologized, but I thought they should have not apologize for something they were still working on and were not close to finished yet.
I don't recall much of a freakout but they did apologize and changed it, really though if they didn't want that attention then they shouldn't have put out that promo material.

Which can show how shallow and hypocritical the anti-sjw (and sjw side are just as shallow too, as both are two sides of the same coin) can be. Yes, Shantae is a bit more sexy, but she can clearly take care of herself, but is no perfect role model either (no one really is). Not to mention she is someone of different ethnicity. In fact, a lot of the older IPs have things anti-sjw would hate. Street Fighter, King of Fighters/Fatal Fury, Tekken, Devil May Cry, Resident Evil, Dino Crisis, Soul Calibur, Samurai Showdown, and DOA (yes, I am counting them too). Sure each series has varying degrees of fan-service or increased fan-service, but all of them have bad ass men and women of different race, color, religion, or gender with their own unique traits, characters flaws, and quirks. This is especially true with Street Fighter (does this the best), KoF, and Tekken. The Resident Evil Series is full of bad ass women: Jill (starred in 3 games as the main character; in 5 she was a supporting character), Claire (in 3 games too, though she shares the spotlight for the first half in the last two), Sheva, Rebecca, Moira Burton, Ada (though I hated her character in 4 and above), and even Sherry Birkin gets in on the act. We don't talk about Helena. Claire should have been Leon's partner in 6. I do not know why Capcom wasted that opportunity.

DMC has Trish, Lady (Mary), and Lucia. They all have character and different personalities. Though Trish and Lady become Dante-lite in 4 only, thankfully, and more or less their full selves in 5. Lady has the most character development aside from Dante on the heroes side. Ironic, because the reboot has nothing in it the anti-sjw would hate. Other than the stereotypical blue/orange contrast, but most people got tired of that way in to the 2010s.
Really if its sexy then it doesn't seem like it matters how much 'female empowerment' it has, the anti-sjw crowd won't bat much of an eye.

Reactions: Gyrobot

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA

DMC has Trish, Lady (Mary), and Lucia.
My dude! I really liked Lucia in DMC2. Wish she would show up again. :/

And there it is, the specter of the sjw, come to take away... something, or lead our youth to do... something.
Is that Bizzaro World me?

Really if its sexy then it doesn't seem like it matters how much 'female empowerment' it has, the anti-sjw crowd won't bat much of an eye.
??? Anti-SJW's don't hate female empowerment and it doesn't require sexiness to like it either.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Hence why I said: "Which can show how shallow and hypocritical the anti-sjw (and sjw side are just as shallow too, as both are two sides of the same coin) can be." I was just pointing it out. A character can still be sexy and have in empowerment. Just look at Bayonetta.

I don't recall much of a freakout but they did apologize and changed it, really though if they didn't want that attention then they shouldn't have put out that promo material.
You had some people on Twitter freaking out. WF could have handled better, but they quickly tried to correct. The small amount of people freaking out, while understandable went overboard. Luckily, things did not get real bad, and Wayforward acted swiftly and accordingly.

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

Man, Tekken (and fighters in general) are like the Burger King Kids Club if they could all snap you in half like a twig. I struggle to think of an ethnicity or part of the world not represented in their ranks.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Man, Tekken (and fighters in general) are like the Burger King Kids Club if they could all snap you in half like a twig. I struggle to think of an ethnicity or part of the world not represented in their ranks.
I know Tekken, SF, and KoF have yet to create a character from Indonesia. You would think that after two Raid film, either of them would get on that. Though Tekken 7 has Jozie Rizal, who is from the Philippines.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I know Tekken, SF, and KoF have yet to create a character from Indonesia. You would think that after two Raid film, either of them would get on that. Though Tekken 7 has Jozie Rizal, who is from the Philippines.

Okay you got me on Indonesia and now all I want them to do is file the serial numbers off of Rama from the Raid and make him the next character.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Okay you got me on Indonesia and now all I want them to do is file the serial numbers off of Rama from the Raid and make him the next character.
Same. That is all I wanted.

Oooohhhhh...where are my manners (Southern Gentleman drawl)?! I forgot to add Mortal Kombat, Killer Instinct, Skullgirls, and Viruta Fighter on the list as well. Though as much as I am a VF fan, the main problem with that particular series is that almost all of the fighters don't have much personality aside from Jacky, Jeff Wilde, and that one girl who does the Monkey Kung Fu style.

EDIT: Street Fighter has a MTF transsexual, Poison. She's post-op in the West, while tucking her "business" in to look more female in Japan (which is her true original backstory) any way. Though the way she is modeled now, Posion might as well be post-op for both sides of the world.

Last edited: