ValiDate, a Dating Sim

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
That just kinda seems more sad than anything else. "Hey guys look, our thingy is funny and meme worthy, right? Right?!"
One of the golden rules of the internet is to never force a meme out. And if there's anyone who knows about memes it's metal gear.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chimpzy

Wintermute

Elite Member
Apr 25, 2020
Pindorama
On the home page of this thing's official website is a button called "memes" that leads to this twitter feed. :rolleyes:

The whole thing comes off as some rather bargain bin trolling that thinks itself very clever and subtle, or alternatively, perhaps trying to be artsy by wearing the trappings of bargain bin trolling, which is even more up its own ass.
Man, I thought this was 1 or 2 people, they have 20 devs.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Not to ruin a joke, but you realize the money Lupin is throwing away is counterfit?
I’m gonna watch that movie again this weekend.

As for this.....fiasco.....well, we’re talking about so mission accomplished on that front. As for everything else, we’re in state of play that even Jonathan Swift couldn’t satirise, so you know what? Who fucking cares. Either it’ll sink or it’ll swim.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Man, I thought this was 1 or 2 people, they have 20 devs.
Originally 42% of their budget was being dedicated to merchandise, then they realized that they hadn't asked for near enough money to pay everyone and have changed the percentages but everyone is still going to be on a shoe-string budget especially with this many people on the job.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Originally 42% of their budget was being dedicated to merchandise, then they realized that they hadn't asked for near enough money to pay everyone and have changed the percentages but everyone is still going to be on a shoe-string budget especially with this many people on the job.
42% of their budget to merch and 20 devs? I can see exactly what went wrong now. Too many people at once full of terrible ideas and some of them had the "genius" plan to make merch for their dating sim that isn't even out yet. What's with this project? It sounds like a titanic dumpster fire waiting to happen

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
42% of their budget to merch and 20 devs? I can see exactly what went wrong now. Too many people at once full of terrible ideas and some of them had the "genius" plan to make merch for their dating sim that isn't even out yet. What's with this project? It sounds like a titanic dumpster fire waiting to happen
Original estimates.

EdUjclOUMAELsed.jpg

Current estimates.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
This looks like the date sim equivalent of that New Warriors (?) comic with characters named Safespace and Snowflake. Like what your detractors would come up with if they were trying to satirize the concept you're supposedly attempting to champion.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrCalavera

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Remember how Cave Story was made entirely by one guy over the course of 2 years and uploaded for free to the internet? Remember Katawa Shoujo and how it was made by several people working together with paperclips, chewing gum, and dreams to hold it together and also released for free?

I don't think any of these people have ever heard of any of those stories or comprehend that kind of dedication.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
This looks like the date sim equivalent of that New Titans (?) comic with characters named Safespace and Snowflake. Like what your detractors would come up with if they were trying to satirize the concept you're supposedly attempting to champion.
I think that's new legends or something. You may be confusing it with the new teen titans abomination that took the anime-like cartoon and turned it into a kiddie western style thing haha.

(also I believe they already canceled that comic or always intended it as a one-off due to the american comic industry imploding while manga sales are up compared to last year's due to their recent streak of bad, identity politics filled SJW-inspired crap)

Remember how Cave Story was made entirely by one guy over the course of 2 years and uploaded for free to the internet? Remember Katawa Shoujo and how it was made by several people working together with paperclips, chewing gum, and dreams to hold it together and also released for free?

I don't think any of these people have ever heard of any of those stories or comprehend that kind of dedication.
Hell, cuphead was made by 2 people and it was an incredible game. Those brothers had more talent in their pinkies than all of these pink haired freakazoids put together lol.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I think that's new legends or something. You may be confusing it with the new teen titans abomination that took the anime-like cartoon and turned it into a kiddie western style thing haha.

(also I believe they already canceled that comic or always intended it as a one-off due to the american comic industry imploding while manga sales are up compared to last year's due to their recent streak of bad, identity politics filled SJW-inspired crap)

Hell, cuphead was made by 2 people and it was an incredible game. Those brothers had more talent in their pinkies than all of these pink haired freakazoids put together lol.
Just checked, it was New Warriors. I found some Nerd Crew style videos discussing its possible cancellation but that's it. Looks like an all-around embarrassment everyone just wants to sweep under the rug.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

That's kind of the problem isn't it? These people just expect to be able to put out trash and demand that it's a hit. They expect it to be successful just because it's inclusive or whatever.

It's the same mentality that says, "we need more women and people of color doing X job". As if just stick someone there who meets such a superficial criteria is an automatic road to success.

When the media blames men because Charlies Angel's sucks, they say men wont support a female driven action film. Almost as if the Alien's franchise doesn't exist.

When the media blames white people for why a person of color can't be a super hero. Almost as if they haven't seen Spawn. or anything Denzel Washington and The Rock make.

People will support anything that's good, and just making your trash "diverse" doesn't give you the right to automatically be praised. Frankly I think it is a con job like what Anita Sarkeesian did. Where is Feminist Frequency these days? I know Anita is chilling like a queen somewhere, meanwhile all her employees got fuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked.

EDIT: Turns out she makes podcasts with the same two people she's managed to keep around. Wonder how their making money on those >10k viewership non--videos.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA

Actually Cuphead was made with more than 2 people but it took a lot of effort to get the game out.

Also I found this funny Hitler version of their character bios, here's just the blips so I don't get banned for some dumb reason.

Rammstein.jpg

Ironically, I fell like this one gives more actual information about his personality than any of the actual character blips.

Edit: Also why the hell do they have so many artists on their team?!

Last edited:

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Edit: Also why the hell do they have so many artists on their team?!
They wanted total equality across every single minority group. They needed black people, LGBTQ representation where every letter had an equal percentage, every single ethnicity, every single gender identity, pre-op, post-op, everything in equal proportion. Kind of like how the CHAZ council was allegedly structured.

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
That's kind of the problem isn't it? These people just expect to be able to put out trash and demand that it's a hit. They expect it to be successful just because it's inclusive or whatever.

It's the same mentality that says, "we need more women and people of color doing X job". As if just stick someone there who meets such a superficial criteria is an automatic road to success.

When the media blames men because Charlies Angel's sucks, they say men wont support a female driven action film. Almost as if the Alien's franchise doesn't exist.

When the media blames white people for why a person of color can't be a super hero. Almost as if they haven't seen Spawn. or anything Denzel Washington and The Rock make.

People will support anything that's good, and just making your trash "diverse" doesn't give you the right to automatically be praised. Frankly I think it is a con job like what Anita Sarkeesian did. Where is Feminist Frequency these days? I know Anita is chilling like a queen somewhere, meanwhile all her employees got fuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked.

EDIT: Turns out she makes podcasts with the same two people she's managed to keep around. Wonder how their making money on those >10k viewership non--videos.
There is a difference between having representation and positive representation. Having plain representation is like say 80's fighting game where you know the black guy is going to be some jive turkey who is a thinnly veiled Mike Tyson ripeoff while the Asian chick is some qipao wearing acrofighter who has nice legs. Or more modern take Overwatch where Soldier 76 is closeted gay marine after crack jokes about if Soap or Price would be on top and D.Va replacing Japanese girls as the stereotype hot Asian chick where instead of anime it's being a stereotypical streamer. Not a bad thing but I can argue that if you are feeding me diversity with sugar then it defies the excercise of proper representation

As for black superheroes or minorities, blade and spawn are stuck as stereotypes, being social outcasts and coming from violent backgrounds of military and criminal activity. Killmonger in Black Panther addresses the issue of black cast stereotyping, in a Blaxploitation he would considered right.

And gaining approval of critics and fans is seen as almost mutually exclusive as critics wants representation while fans only accept a narrow view of what is considered acceptable as representation and demonstrate toxicity when the representation is seen as hamfisted.

So we still have a problem as the updated conditions of representation has yet to attain success and in a cynical environment that has fostered an audience that is hostile towards all forms of representation is the true obstacle towards proper representation with success

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
And gaining approval of critics and fans is seen as almost mutually exclusive as critics wants representation while fans only accept a narrow view of what is considered acceptable as representation and demonstrate toxicity when the representation is seen as hamfisted.

So we still have a problem as the updated conditions of representation has yet to attain success and in a cynical environment that has fostered an audience that is hostile towards all forms of representation is the true obstacle towards proper representation with success
See i really don't think this is true.

You say that fans will only accept a narrow view of what they deem as acceptable, but they accept any character that is written well regardless of what gender spectrum or racial slot they fill in. I've never seen any of my friend complain about X-23 being a woman, when Marvel used her to replace Wolverine once they killed him in the comics. Nor did I see any debate about it online.

I didn't see people complaining that Black Panther was just a trash African American movie. Black Panther was almost universally loved by everyone not just black people. So where is the lack of acceptance there? Spawn is a cult hit, people love that movie even though it's a bad movie.

People love the Aliens films and they are headed by a women, where are all the men bitching about how Ripley should just have been making sandwiches?

When you say fans wont accept true diversity you never give any examples of a genuinely good piece of media that was somehow hated due to anti-sjw's protested against it. And everyone who tries to defend the "more diversity in media" argument never provides examples to support their point. Instead when the people who supposedly hate women, or blacks, or gays, or whatever point out all the great works that feature X,Y,Z, it gets dismissed as a negative. "Oh the black guy is just a Mr.T rip off stereotype." but ignoring the fact that Mr.T was actually a huge inspiration upon pop culture because everybody fucking LOVED him. Why is imitating him a bad thing, we was awesome!

I just don't understand the logic behind it. And it's simply ideology pushing, from an ideology that's fabricated to have an very exaggerated view on reality.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Estimate snip
The fact the estimates looked like that in the first place tells me exactly where their priorities and mindset were at the start. "We'll make the most inclusive VN ever and surely it'll be so big the world will want every bit of merch we can think of" without a care of how shit the VN was gonna no doubt be with the budget they set out with.

They wanted total equality across every single minority group. They needed black people, LGBTQ representation where every letter had an equal percentage, every single ethnicity, every single gender identity, pre-op, post-op, everything in equal proportion. Kind of like how the CHAZ council was allegedly structured.
Combined with the merch comment I made above, I feel like this was the whole point all along. "A VN full of representation for everyone, by everyone" and then expected the money to roll in, even though the VN doesn't exist first. This doesn't sound like a passion project to me at all. It sounds like one of those marketed by executive moves where it's all "See? We're inclusive to everyone" when it's absolutely paper thin. And I know it's paper thin, cause they put nearly half their budget into merch before this thing properly took off, with a staff list that I feel is overblown to hell for what they need to make.

I'm willing to bet they let one of their many staff members design a character each, which is probably why most of them seem like the most unapologetic assholes possible

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
See i really don't think this is true.

I didn't see people complaining that Black Panther was just a trash African American movie. Black Panther was almost universally loved by everyone not just black people. So where is the lack of acceptance there? Spawn is a cult hit, people love that movie even though it's a bad movie.

I just don't understand the logic behind it. And it's simply ideology pushing, from an ideology that's fabricated to have an very exaggerated view on reality.
The reason why Black Panther did so well was because Wakanda and BP weren't stereotypical blaxploitation stereotypes. You got to understand while there were plenty of films with black cast, most of them were Blaxploitation or stories about being victims of slavery and oppression. T'Challa and Wakandans are people in a place of power and the potential to spread their influence overseas but instead turn a blind eye to the suffering save when trouble is knocking on their front door.

Reactions: MrCalavera

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Can I just point out Alazon Davids, 'Dad of the year' is your Angle(Not angel mind you, but angle) and "yuor" Devil.
Which I hope is a typo and not meant to imply Latinos can't spell.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Can I just point out Alazon Davids, 'Dad of the year' is your Angle(Not angel mind you, but angle) and "yuor" Devil.
Which I hope is a typo and not meant to imply Latinos can't spell.
It's a reference to a meme commonly featuring Arin Hansen of Egoraptor/Game Grumps fame: