What are you currently playing?

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
How do you like them? I've always felt the Panzer Dragoon series was better than the Star Fox series in terms of 3D rail shooters. The Sin & Punishment games are in a whole different level though.
Well mind you I am playing this game on an Emulator and let me tell you, Emulation for Sega Saturn games to this day hasn't been perfect compared to other console's emulators.

I am just lucky that I happen to find one that so far appears to be working fine enough for these games after testing.

So I've beaten the first game. Kinda short, very light on story, and VERY Arcady.

Only 6 or 7 levels and you only have limited lives, only to earn more by just destroying as many enemies as you can each level.

Though to be fair the first game was essentially launch title for the Saturn and pretty much a Tech Demo for what the Saturn can do. And it succeds in at the time great presentation and music and art style, etc.

I think in the end I might have a far more interesting experience with the RPG game, Panzer Dragoon Saga, which is regarded as one of the underappreciated greats of the JRPG Genre.

Also I bought and ordered a used copy of Panzer Dragoon Orta for the OG Xbox from Amazon with the hope that not only will it be a functioning disc, but whether or not its even backwards compatible with my Xbox 360 at all. Even thoug h I've checked and its claimed that it is, I have been deceived before with other OG Xbox games that are listed as Backwards compatible.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Also I bought and ordered a used copy of Panzer Dragoon Orta for the OG Xbox from Amazon with the hope that not only will it be a functioning disc, but whether or not its even backwards compatible with my Xbox 360 at all. Even thoug h I've checked and its claimed that it is, I have been deceived before with other OG Xbox games that are listed as Backwards compatible.
It backwards compatible from what I've seen on YouTube, but I heard it works even better on Xbox One S or X. The 360 versions works ok enough, but might have some small issues from time to time. I've played a couple of the Panzer Dragoon games, but never the RPG title. I did not even know that title existed until 2001. Panzer Dragoon Zwei is my personal favorite out of the series.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
It backwards compatible from what I've seen on YouTube, but I heard it works even better on Xbox One S or X. The 360 versions works ok enough, but might have some small issues from time to time. I've played a couple of the Panzer Dragoon games, but never the RPG title. I did not even know that title existed until 2001. Panzer Dragoon Zwei is my personal favorite out of the series.

I am aware. And I am planning on getting a Series X for that reason that it makes playing older games run even better then they were.

So far only 2 Xbox OG games failed to work my 360 despite claims of it being backwards compatible.

Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance and Rainbow Six 3: Black Arrow.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I remember the whole food management being a giant pain in the ass in the original PS2 game. Like raising plants and chickens. And I think the remaster streamlined that nonsense out. Also the added super moves which I don't think the original had. I need to go back to this game, I still haven't finished it.
Tthe mechanics remain basically the same, I think the remaster just polished the menus to make alchemy & farming less of a hassle. Pretty sure the supermoves were already there in the original and the remaster just adds (conveniently) build-your-own-shortcut options. I'm now halfway through the second character and I think some of the in-between passages between battle stages and rest rooms have been redesigned with some platforming and verticality in mind. Nothing game-changing but makes for a nice change of pace.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Bloodborne: Micolash, Host of the Nightmare defeated. I checked a list of bosses online (don't worry, I was spoiled long before then) and the only one I have left to do besides the DLC and the finale is Logarius. I had to look up how to get to Cainhurst, but I've decided to try and scratch him off before going into the Hunters' Nightmare.

Endgame spoilers: If I can handle even one of the DLC bosses, then I'll give the second final boss a shot after defeating the first final boss. If I can't even handle Ludwig, though, I'll save it for next time when hopefully I'll have gitted a little more gud. As for the final final boss, I've been told not to get the first ending on the first run, since it's better after seeing the second.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Well, finished Last of Us part 2.

Now I bought Horizon Zero Dawn for $15 so time to go through that.

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
Currently, Okami HD. Well, I should be anyway. Started playing it several weeks ago, haven't touched it in a couple weeks because I have some last few things to do before crossing the point of no return that I can't summon the will to do. In the mean time, just playing Halo Reach Firefight with my girlfriend to pass the time.

Really should finish Okami HD so I can move on to other things, though...

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
And that's all that needs to be said about that. :)
Basically.

It's an over-long game with an unfocused narrative. It has some good parts, and overall I enjoyed playing it and don't regret the purchase, but I also wouldn't say that anyone who isn't playing it is actually missing anything. It's not as good as The Last of Us was.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Bloodborne: Micolash, Host of the Nightmare defeated. I checked a list of bosses online (don't worry, I was spoiled long before then) and the only one I have left to do besides the DLC and the finale is Logarius. I had to look up how to get to Cainhurst, but I've decided to try and scratch him off before going into the Hunters' Nightmare.

Endgame spoilers: If I can handle even one of the DLC bosses, then I'll give the second final boss a shot after defeating the first final boss. If I can't even handle Ludwig, though, I'll save it for next time when hopefully I'll have gitted a little more gud. As for the final final boss, I've been told not to get the first ending on the first run, since it's better after seeing the second.

Hope you’ve gotten gud at gun parrying, because Logarius is a PITA otherwise. Really though, it’s not that bad unless you miss the chances for visceral attacks when he’s stunned.

Also, make a USB backup save before going to the end boss, so you can just load that up quick for the second (and third if you have enough umbilical cord pieces) ending.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Robo Army. Cause why not? Not the best SNK brawler (most of their brawlers do suck), but still decent enough. Sengoku 3 is the best gameplay wise, but it drags on for way too long. And has low enemy variety.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Yakuziwami
Can't help but smile at the blatantly lethal finishers I keep accidentally pulling on mostly innocent folk during their "misunderstandings" ...somehow never gets boring that.
What's not fun, however, is having a fighting tournament that refuses to heal you after you lose, so you gotta go through about 3 loading screens among long corridors with aggressive fighty folk just to be able to top up again to retry. Also the mini car physics make no sense. But other than that, pretty nice scowly face brawler game. Am considering Judgement for purchase, as is on deal lately.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Now I bought Horizon Zero Dawn for $15 so time to go through that.
That was a really fun game for me. Some of the mechanics were janky, and the limited climbing to Only Yellow Things was frustrating, but the story was fun. And the stealth and combat got really enjoyable after you got a few upgrades to your gear.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Am considering Judgement for purchase, as is on deal lately.
Judgement's great. It's got a lot of the same foibles as the Yakuza games, but it doesn't make you deal with the fighting tournaments, and it has its own sets of minigames to learn. It also doesn't require you to know anything about the series, since its main story is self-contained. The investigation minigames may not be to everyone's taste, but since it's on sale, at least you won't be out as much if you can't stand them.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Judgement's great. It's got a lot of the same foibles as the Yakuza games, but it doesn't make you deal with the fighting tournaments, and it has its own sets of minigames to learn. It also doesn't require you to know anything about the series, since its main story is self-contained. The investigation minigames may not be to everyone's taste, but since it's on sale, at least you won't be out as much if you can't stand them.
That sounds alright, I quite like detectiving when it actually makes you feel a little smart, though many games are either underdeveloped in that area or resort to "hold X to solve mystery" Arkhum Batman games style. Looking at the DLC, it appear the game has a battalion of waifu/girlfriends however, which hopefully can be respectfully ignored. I can only cringe so much at videogame "romance options/gameplay" before the cramp sets in!

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
That sounds alright, I quite like detectiving when it actually makes you feel a little smart, though many games are either underdeveloped in that area or resort to "hold X to solve mystery" Arkhum Batman games style. Looking at the DLC, it appear the game has a battalion of waifu/girlfriends however, which hopefully can be respectfully ignored. I can only cringe so much at videogame "romance options/gameplay" before the cramp sets in!
Yeah, the romance plots are all sidequests that you can safely skip unless you want the platinum. The detective minigames include searching an area for clues, tailing a suspect without getting caught (which no game has ever done well, including this one), and trying to interrogate suspects efficiently without asking irrelevant questions.

Edit: Since I'm posting in the thread again anyway, may as well update on Bloodborne. Defeated Logarius, leaving only the Chalice Dungeon bosses, the DLC, and the final bosses left to do. Started the DLC, managed to defeat Ludwig and the Living Failures so far. Not bothering with Laurence, I've heard he's not very well designed. That leaves Maria and the DLC's final boss before going to the actual end of the game.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Yeah, the romance plots are all sidequests that you can safely skip unless you want the platinum. The detective minigames include searching an area for clues, tailing a suspect without getting caught (which no game has ever done well, including this one), and trying to interrogate suspects efficiently without asking irrelevant questions.

Edit: Since I'm posting in the thread again anyway, may as well update on Bloodborne. Defeated Logarius, leaving only the Chalice Dungeon bosses, the DLC, and the final bosses left to do. Started the DLC, managed to defeat Ludwig and the Living Failures so far. Not bothering with Laurence, I've heard he's not very well designed. That leaves Maria and the DLC's final boss before going to the actual end of the game.
Laurence is a flaming damage sponge but the only thing you get out of it(other then the achievement) is a special beastman rune, but unless you really want that rune it's not worth the frustration.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I can confirm Orta is backwards compatible and playable start to finish on 360, cause I've done it not too long ago. Tho keep in mind it won't look that great on a modern screen, but that's par for the course for basically all pre-HD era stuff.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
It does seem like a welcome change either way. The new protagonist should be a fresh of breath air too.
True for sure games aren't so great at that mechanic, have been wondering for a while whether any game has ever managed to do investigation justice (lol accidental pun), as they always come off rather restrictive and easy or pointless. Been pondering making a thread about it, to see if others have good ideas in that area, but not great with words lately.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I couldn't find what I suspect is the same game called Judgement that you guys are talking about when I did a steam search. For one, I've got an early access top down post-apocalypse survival game by the same name, and then like 30 other titles with that word in it came up. None of them sound like what you are describing. I am curious about it, can you provide a link about it to a YT video or something so I can differentiate the titles?