What are you currently playing?

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Got my last MP trophy for Red Dead: Redemption 2 the other night. It’s encouraging enough that I might as well go for Platinum. Those Gold ranks for missions and some of the individual challenges will be pretty tough though.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Ghosts of Tsushima and Hardspace: Shipbreaker (Still fun)

Gave up on RDR2, just wasn't invested in it at all. Been enjoying the hell out of Ghost of T though. It's the first time in memory that I find myself actually eager to do a second playthrough of a game, while still going through it the first time.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I played more Streets of Rage 4. Everytime I come back to this game, there is always something new discover. I did a successful 1CC run on Arcade, Hardest Mode with Cherry Hunter. She is gamebreaker. Actually, a lot of the characters are game breakers, if you know how to do their infinite's. Cherry's and Blaze just happen to be the most well known. Cherry is literally a better version of Skate. That pogo attack she uses is a life saver and comes in hand against bosses especially and the mooks. With that said, try playing boss rush mode with Cherry and Skate (SOR3 version) with two players that are perfectly in sync with each other and they can and will wreck bosses together. That's what me and another player did online two weekends ago.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
You picked a very good time to revisit Vanillaware since their newest game is coming out in 2 months. Look for 13 sentinels, it seems to be even more story-heavy than OS.
I'm keeping an eye on that one, I don't know anything other than I saw some screenshots and it looked like they were ditching the medieval fantasy and the game looked fairly busy with all kinds of menus and spreadsheets. At its worst Vanillaware is always pretty original though.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I'm keeping an eye on that one, I don't know anything other than I saw some screenshots and it looked like they were ditching the medieval fantasy and the game looked fairly busy with all kinds of menus and spreadsheets. At its worst Vanillaware is always pretty original though.
The game is a retro-futuristic mech story set in a fictional 1980s, protagonists are all seemingly various highschoolers that can pilot mechs.

The menu stuff is prolly from the combat part which is some sort of RTS affair, not looked into it too much either to avoid spoilarz. I just know that the 13 heroes have this blue tattoo that lets them summon their mechs and fight some sort of assailing alien enemy.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Decided to go back and track down Blood-Starved Beast in Bloodborne. It took a bit of work to get through Old Yharnam again, and a lot of getting shot at, but I managed it. I was overleveled as hell, though, so it was a lot less difficult than it probably should have been. Oh, well, at least I got the Chalice and access to the Healing Church Workshop out of it.

After looting the Workshop and getting stopped at a locked door, I tried a Chalice Dungeon. It was boring. Never bothering with that feature again.

Next: Byrgenwerth. Currently level 50 with +6 weapons.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Last of US 2, and Ghost of Tsushima. The first game I am delaying playing because I googled it, and there is a very horrifying level coming up. The second game is getting easier as I unlocked a stance that can cut those pesky shields.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Decided to go back and track down Blood-Starved Beast in Bloodborne. It took a bit of work to get through Old Yharnam again, and a lot of getting shot at, but I managed it. I was overleveled as hell, though, so it was a lot less difficult than it probably should have been. Oh, well, at least I got the Chalice and access to the Healing Church Workshop out of it.

After looting the Workshop and getting stopped at a locked door, I tried a Chalice Dungeon. It was boring. Never bothering with that feature again.

The Chalice Dungeons are mainly for gear and gem farming. There is also a procedurally generated one for each unique player that they can host online, and it’s probably the most challenging aspect of the game. Unless you’re a trophy hunter or need that “best” weapon then yeah, there’s not a whole lot of incentive, besides extra lore for a couple characters which is on the web anyways.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

Yeah, the chalice dungeons I really couldn't care about. I tried to give them a shot and I like the concept but making them procedurally generated just didn't work for me. There is some interesting lore attached to them but not enough for me to give a shit about them beyond that.

Have you done the Forbidden Woods yet? I both love and hate that place. The Level design is both awesome and infuriating at the same time but it does very well simulate getting lost in a dark forest. Also SNEKS! Seriously, fuck those guys.

Last edited:

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
The second game is getting easier as I unlocked a stance that can cut those pesky shields.
Yes if you are doing a lot of open combat, I highly recommend unlocking those combat stances, and investing in the improved talents for them. They make the combat so much more manageable when it's like 10:1.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Still working Red Dead Redemption and currently working the Mexico Arc. It's not bad by any means(I know some people really dislike it) but it's doing a really good job of making me dislike the Mexican Authorities, particularly Allende and De Santa. I mean, really anyone in the Mexican army is pretty much a waste of life though Reyes isn't exactly the wonderful person he's made out to be either.

Of course the irony is that John literally just wants to find Bill and Javier and GTFO of Mexico but everyone keeps trying to drag him into their personal shit. Hell, you'd think the Mexican Authorities would be thrilled to let John remove a couple more troublemakers from their soil and save them the trouble. Literally just point him in the right direction. At worst, De Santa got rid of an inconvenient gringo on the wrong side of the border while at best, John takes down two hardened criminals and De Santa can claim credit. I do appreciate some of John's Snark "I haven't even set foot in Mexico yet and already people are trying to kill me".

Gameplay wise I'm finally getting some good guns. I do find it interesting how the game finally decides to teach me how to play poker and how to duel this far into the storyline since opportunities for both are all over the place in New Austin. I've already fought a couple duels just because and while I'm not into poker, it's been available from the start practically.

Update: Done with Mexico. Yep, that whole place is a lost cause. John certainly seemed to be done with everyone there by the end, considering he was walking past people being executed on the street without really caring.

Now I've got to spend some time with G-men and while Edger Ross has a point, he's still a total fucking asshole(and a racist one to boot). It sounds like Dutch "I have a Plan" Van Der Linde is the last one left and hopefully it won't be as aggravating to take him down as Bill was.

Last edited:

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Have you done the Forbidden Woods yet? I both love and hate that place. The Level design is both awesome and infuriating at the same time but it does very well simulate getting lost in a dark forest. Also SNEKS! Seriously, fuck those guys.
Had to go through the Forbidden Woods to reach Byrgenwerth.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I’ve fired up Life is Strange since my desktop is out of commission during The Project, and despite its silly dialogue I still find the game weirdly charming and fun. And occasionally emotionally affecting.

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
So I am currently on a old school binge.
Right now I am playing Unlimited Saga PS2 era a game I always want to play but never got a chance too. To say this game has a lot going for it is to say lightly. Like I remember that PS2 era having RPGs with this stuffed and sometimes bloated systems that you either love it or your hate it. Right now don't yet I do love the style of it.

Dungeons are on a board game and the fighting system has you select your 5 moves and there is a roulette system to gauge your damage. I don't think I have even figured out the whole thing yet so I am keeping that description as simple as possible.

I want to go in blind but I am starting to think I am going to need a guide. I get vibes that it will lock me out of certain options or items because I didn't do this one obscure thing that is easy to miss.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
So I am currently on a old school binge.
Right now I am playing Unlimited Saga PS2 era a game I always want to play but never got a chance too. To say this game has a lot going for it is to say lightly. Like I remember that PS2 era having RPGs with this stuffed and sometimes bloated systems that you either love it or your hate it. Right now don't yet I do love the style of it.

Dungeons are on a board game and the fighting system has you select your 5 moves and there is a roulette system to gauge your damage. I don't think I have even figured out the whole thing yet so I am keeping that description as simple as possible.

I want to go in blind but I am starting to think I am going to need a guide. I get vibes that it will lock me out of certain options or items because I didn't do this one obscure thing that is easy to miss.
Unlimited saga is pretty infamous as one of the least popular Squresoft game in the SNES-PS2 run. It did terribly both with public and critic.
I remember thinking that it had a really good opening movie and great artstyle but that was literally it. The game is practically experimental with baffling system that are both obtuse and unexplained. It's like they set out to make a kafkaesque game system, and boy did they succeed! I do know that there is a very very tiny minority of people who think it's sort of masterpiece, but I also know some people think going to the DMV is a great experience, so I don't know if you can trust them.

If you want to do more obscure JRPG for PS2 I suggest breath of fire dragon quartet, ring of red, mana khemia or megaman X command mission.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles. 3 missions in but I'm sick of it already. I played it a long time ago when game rental was still a thing. I never finished it so I picked it up at a pawn shop a couple years ago and just now got around to playing it again. The hit detection just seems kind of bad. "Aim for the mouth" I am! It's just not registering! I'm really not sure what I'm doing wrong, because I'm pretty sure the 3rd level boss isn't supposed to take me 15 minutes of nonstop shooting on normal. Maybe I just suck, but it seems to me like the weak point for regular zombies is almost outside their head and the camera constantly swinging around just when I'm about to fire doesn't help either.

I don't know, I think House of the Dead is a way better rail shooter.

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
Unlimited saga is pretty infamous as one of the least popular Squresoft game in the SNES-PS2 run. It did terribly both with public and critic.
I remember thinking that it had a really good opening movie and great artstyle but that was literally it. The game is practically experimental with baffling system that are both obtuse and unexplained. It's like they set out to make a kafkaesque game system, and boy did they succeed! I do know that there is a very very tiny minority of people who think it's sort of masterpiece, but I also know some people think going to the DMV is a great experience, so I don't know if you can trust them.

If you want to do more obscure JRPG for PS2 I suggest breath of fire dragon quartet, ring of red, mana khemia or megaman X command mission.
I thought I wasn't losing my mind. Cause this game I can play it and like what they were going for but there is too much going on. Like you have Health Points and Life Points at the same time...........like who does that.

I was expecting some random to be like "this system deters casuals and cater to the hardcore who love complex systems" but really I think you are right its this kafkaesque abominaton you either love or hate.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles. 3 missions in but I'm sick of it already. I played it a long time ago when game rental was still a thing. I never finished it so I picked it up at a pawn shop a couple years ago and just now got around to playing it again. The hit detection just seems kind of bad. "Aim for the mouth" I am! It's just not registering! I'm really not sure what I'm doing wrong, because I'm pretty sure the 3rd level boss isn't supposed to take me 15 minutes of nonstop shooting on normal. Maybe I just suck, but it seems to me like the weak point for regular zombies is almost outside their head and the camera constantly swinging around just when I'm about to fire doesn't help either.

I don't know, I think House of the Dead is a way better rail shooter.
I used to have this. I don't remeber having that much trouble aiming and the hits registering, but it could get annyoing at times. If you think that is bad, try Darkside Chronicles on Wii or PS3 where they use shaky-cam! Now you'll have trouble hitting your targets 96% of the time because it is "realistic" and "cinematic". Capcom actually made that bull-shit excuse.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Bloodborne: After dealing with PVP that's so laggy that my solid hits don't connect but my opponent's gunshots into thin air strike me, as well as the fact that their bullets dealt more damage to me than my regular attacks to them, I finally managed to get to and defeat Rom, the Vacuous Spider. And now things are getting real.

Next: The game seemed to be pointing me pretty directly at Yahar'gul, the Unseen Village. Guess that's where I'm headed next.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Bloodborne: After dealing with PVP that's so laggy that my solid hits don't connect but my opponent's gunshots into thin air strike me, as well as the fact that their bullets dealt more damage to me than my regular attacks to them, I finally managed to get to and defeat Rom, the Vacuous Spider. And now things are getting real.

Next: The game seemed to be pointing me pretty directly at Yahar'gul, the Unseen Village. Guess that's where I'm headed next.
ROM was annoying as hell. I’m really not a fan of the types of bosses that try to overwhelm you with a bunch of smaller versions of themselves. I had the best results basically just dealing with the first wave of spiders and then rushing him with aggressive offense while avoiding any others later.

On topic, I finally discovered the fate of Marko Dragic in RDR2. Relieved to know the quest could still be completed after the epilogues even though I half-concluded it as Arthur. I think I’ll go for the Bountiful trophy next, where you need to survive for three game days after racking up $250 bounties in all states. I’ve been planning my route and escape/hiding spot so we’ll see how well things actually go according to it.

Last edited: