Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I've been playing through Ori and the Blind Forest this last week and I've noticed there are a number of high level achievements. "immortal" requires you to beat the game without dying, "Unhinged" requires you to finish the game in One Life mode, which is much the same thing but the game enforces permadeath and deletes the file when you die and "Elite" that requires you to beat the game without upgrading.

So for those who haven't played it, Ori and the Blind Forest is Nintendo Hard. It looks beatiful and it has a charming story but quite a few places requires very, very tricky and demanding platforming and landing on/touching spikes ia usually a death sentence. It's basically like Celeste without the assist mode(if you play it on easy, you can get checkpoints for some of the really difficult platforming segments instead of having to do the entire thing in one go). DId I mention there's at least one mandatory sequence where you're climbing up a long passage with a very fast rising wall of water close behind you and falling in the water pretty much kills you(that catches up if you get too far ahead, so hitting all the jumps with perfection doesn't really buy you any time)?

Obviously people have gotten those achievements but I can only look at that and say "Nope. I will never ever attempt that". I feel the same way about No Death/ No Damage runs in games like Dark Souls. You would need to pretty much memorize the shit out of the game to the point it becomes a 2nd job, need to have very good reflexes and even then one misstep could end your run.

What about everyone else? Any achievements you would never even bother with due to how insanely difficult/demanding it would be?

Last edited:

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Pretty much any achievement/trophy that requires grinding or collecting a million whatchamacallits.

I feel the same way about No Death/ No Damage runs in games like Dark Souls. You would need to pretty much memorize the shit out of the game to the point it was a 2nd job and even then one misstep could end your run.
Those aren't even that hard, it's basically just getting good at all the boss fights. The rest of the games' encounters are really easy to cheese outside of maybe a few trouble spots. I couldn't care less about doing them because they wouldn't be fun to do.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Those aren't even that hard, it's basically just getting good at all the boss fights. The rest of the games' encounters are really easy to cheese outside of maybe a few trouble spots. I couldn't care less about doing them because they wouldn't be fun to do.
I'm thinking of fights like the Bed of Chaos and Old Iron King. I swear I was killed more by falling into that pit/getting knocked into the Lava then actually getting killed by the boss. Hell, Making that jump to the root in the Bed of Chaos fight annoyed me far more then the actual boss did. Who the hell designs a boss fight around making a precise jump in a game that barely allows you to jump at all?

I was so happy in Sekiro when 1.) FROM put in a proper JUMP button and 2.) gave you a grapping hook, because if you're gonna make us platform, at least build that into the game so we can platform. It's also nice not to get stopped by a pile of rubble blocking a broken gate that a normal person could easily clamber over(Looking at you, Dark Souls 2)

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Pretty much any achievement/trophy that requires grinding or collecting a million whatchamacallits.
This. Especially the multiplayer achievements that require tons of grinding. Multiplayer achievements are a bad thing in general, if A: the game ain't that good (or the person in question does not like it) and B: Have no staying power, and C: the servers shutdown or company goes out of business.

Any achievement that is tied to a 1 death, and you go aaaallllll the waaayyyy back to the title screen/prologue with no saving at all. No one has the patience for that.

Another one, achievements that don't unlock, even when you beat the hardest difficulty at the start. Meaning you have to back and play on an easier difficulty just to unlock the achievement. It's done nothing more than to waste the consumers time, and justify replay value.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I avoid multiplayer achievements with a passion. The achievement has to be SUPER easy in multiplayer for me to even consider.

I also don't like achievements that require you to play through the game on ball bustingly hard mode. I don't mind a Hard level challenge, but I don't wanna have to play the game seven times for all your difficulties (looking at you Resident Evil 3).

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
I'm an unsocial bugger, so unless I'm playing alongside/against a very good friend and the game supports 1v1/2-player co-op formats or very small human player pools, I'm not even going to even contemplate looking at the multiplayer achievements.

As for single-player, I'll look at them, go 'OK'/'meh'/'nah' as appropriate and just play the game. I'll do this usually before I even start playing and only ever so occasionally having played for a bit. Consequently, I give zero f***s about the achievements in TW:WH2 despite having several hundred hours in it, meanwhile I've hundred percented Assassin's Creed: Odyssey and only went for it when I realised after finishing the third story DLC that I had only three more to get (one of which was the trophy for getting all the other trophies), checked the requirements of the other two and thought it was manageable.

In general, tho, the less replayable it is, the less I'll care about the achievements.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Forgot one.

Achievements that require you to 100% something and/or involves rare random drops/spawns.

Stellaris, for example, requires you to find Earth fighting a world war and invade it during that war to get the "Outside Context" achievement. Earth even spawning in a given galaxy is completely random and even if it does, it might spawn as a medieval world, a near future spacefaring world or a post-nuclear tomb world instead. Even if you got lucky on these two, you need to invade it before someone else does(and it could spawn on the far side of the map from where you are or on the other side of a hostile empire) and hope to god they don't either end the war or nuke themselves to annihilation before you do so.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

I feel the same way about No Death/ No Damage runs in games like Dark Souls. You would need to pretty much memorize the shit out of the game to the point it becomes a 2nd job, need to have very good reflexes and even then one misstep could end your run.
Lol dude, let’s be real here. Until you can post a stream to back up your claims of how easy the SoulsBorne games are, it’s impossible to take them seriously. Yeah, they aren’t by any means the most difficult games around but they’re also no walk in the park, even without house rules.

Drathnoxis

I love the smell of card games in the morning
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Pretty much any achievement. If it's not easily achievable within a couple minutes I just cannot be bothered.

Fieldy409

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 18, 2020
Country
Australia
I remember there was an achievement in Burnout Revenge to have a clip in the highest top 20 leladerboard. That's the highest voted worldwide leaderboard...

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Lol dude, let’s be real here. Until you can post a stream to back up your claims of how easy the SoulsBorne games are, it’s impossible to take them seriously. Yeah, they aren’t by any means the most difficult games around but they’re also no walk in the park, even without house rules.
Something about how you just need to play very, very cautiously even though most enemies and especially bosses can easily wreck your shit with a couple of blows and if this is your first time seeing them you don't know what to expect. I personally felt Shields in the Souls games were almost useless against bosses because they can easily power through your defense, so it becomes dodge a lot and hope you have the timing down right.

Fieldy409

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 18, 2020
Country
Australia
Something about how you just need to play very, very cautiously even though most enemies and especially bosses can easily wreck your shit with a couple of blows and if this is your first time seeing them you don't know what to expect. I personally felt Shields in the Souls games were almost useless against bosses because they can easily power through your defense, so it becomes dodge a lot and hope you have the timing down right.
Souls games are basically like a sort of puzzle games where figuring out the tells is the puzzle. Every attack is pretty much telegraphed and fair.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Souls games are basically like a sort of puzzle games where figuring out the tells is the puzzle. Every attack is pretty much telegraphed and fair.
Not every attack. Some bosses, like the Fume Knight, are difficult to catch their tells or the tells for two different attacks can look very similar. Add in a large moveset and it's quite easy to get caught unawares.

And when a boss is extremely aggressive you don't have much time to react.

Maybe you're really good are reading all the tells and have super good reflexes but that's not true for all of us.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Just for the cheevo, pretty much all of them. Now if there's some kind of benefit for doing it; an unlock, costume, cheat code, boosts of some kind... I'll generally do pretty much anything. I watched a roommate play the same level of Goldeneye over and over for the invincibility cheat (had to beat it in an incredibly short time limit.) This was a hard unlock, it had to be a perfect run. One mistake and you wouldn't beat the time. It took him days but he did it. He turned on invincibility and played for a couple of minutes then never used it again. That's the way I am, if it is just the cheevo I don't care and never bother. If there is some kind of actual in game reward... I'll go way above and beyond.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I used to like achievements, trying to get as many as I could, save for multiplayer cuz fuck that. But these past few years I couldn't care less. It's not that I'm anti, but I no longer see them as added value and think they're honestly kind of annoying.

So I guess that's "all of them"

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
I used to like achievements, trying to get as many as I could, save for multiplayer cuz fuck that. But these past few years I couldn't care less. It's not that I'm anti, but I no longer see them as added value and think they're honestly kind of annoying.

So I guess that's "all of them"
I used to be an achievement obsessive, but then Gears Of War three burned me out after i pent about 8-10 months 100% ing it

I've taken a more 'lets have fun' approach to them now, and I especially ignore ones that don't look fun or seem to be there just to make you play the game more/longer than you would.

Unfortunately the last one I got obsessed with was antipode from Overwatch, cause I wanted moiras cute spray, and every time I tried to get it I just got misery because no-one would play in a way that would make it at all likely it would pop

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
I pretty much only go for achievements if they don't force me to spend my time doing something I consider tedious, and it's rather rare that a game doesn't have at least a handful of tedious achievements, so as a consequence it's very rare that I 100% a game. Sometimes when I'm greatly enjoying a game, I briefly toy with the idea of 100%-ing it, but it's practically always a pipe dream.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I've seen how they do those runs, it's not hard with regards to skill, it's an endurance test. I saw how dude beat Ornstein and Smough, I can do that in a few tries and get it down. Top Dark Souls PvP players are far more skilled than the people that do those runs are. I played the game where the damn "git gud" meme came from for 4 straight years, I have nothing to prove. I have probably 100 GRFS clan matches on my Youtube so go watch them if you want.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I've seen how they do those runs, it's not hard with regards to skill, it's an endurance test. I saw how dude beat Ornstein and Smough, I can do that in a few tries and get it down. Top Dark Souls PvP players are far more skilled than the people that do those runs are. I played the game where the damn "git gud" meme came from for 4 straight years, I have nothing to prove. I have probably 100 GRFS clan matches on my Youtube so go watch them if you want.
Watching videos makes anything look easy, and being good at one game type doesn't automatically follow through to others. There are probably people playing Arma or C&C when it was good that'd think of MGO and GRFS as childsplay. It's all relative. Kinda like how some bosses are a nightmare for some and a calkwalk for others, even with the same build type.