Digital Comic Books: would you read or collect them? Also Humblebundle comicbook offering

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
I used to be a massive collector of comics, and indeed books in general, but when I had to move several years ago I simply couldn't take even a fraction of my collection with me. It's not even as if I can buy them physically now as I'd end up as a hoarder.

Book wise getting a Kindle Paperwhite was the best thing I've ever done.It's an older second gen model but the 4GB of storage is more than enough for hundreds of books and the Kindle Unlimited subscription has more than paid for itself.

Comics I now get from Comixology. It isn't the same as reading them physically but it is close enough.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I prefer physical. What if something happens to my laptop, kindle, or cell phone? At least physically, I can still read the book I want.

Reactions: votemarvel

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
I prefer physical. What if something happens to my laptop, kindle, or cell phone? At least physically, I can still read the book I want.
By the same token though if something were to happen to your physical copy then you have to buy a new one. Your digital purchase remains on the company's servers or backed up to another device in your home.

Both formats have their advantages. I prefer reading a physical book but there is definitely something cool about being able to carry a library around with you in your pocket.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
By the same token though if something were to happen to your physical copy then you have to buy a new one. Your digital purchase remains on the company's servers or backed up to another device in your home.

Both formats have their advantages. I prefer reading a physical book but there is definitely something cool about being able to carry a library around with you in your pocket.
I am more than aware of that. I feel something is most likely going to happen more to my laptop or my phone, than my books. Granted, I don't have that big of a comic book collection. I got a hardcover copy of Avatar The Rift and Imbalanced. And I got the Battle Angel Alita deluxe edition collection. I'm still trying to get Avatar North and South.

Last edited:
Reactions: votemarvel

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States

I just don't wanna put all my eggs in one basked (rely entirely on technology) and end up like that antisocial book fanatic who broke his glasses (the technology) after the apocalypse at the end of that one Twilight Zone. Everyone wants to consume everything digitally now. Power goes out, they have nothing.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
I am more than aware of that. I feel something is most likely going to happen more to my laptop or my phone, than my books. Granted, I don't have that big of a comic book collection. I got a hardcover copy of Avatar The Rift and Imbalanced. And I got the battle Angel Alita deluxe edition collection. I'm still trying to get Avatar North and South.
I absolutely understand. I've had a phone just die over night, something that has never happened to a book I've owned.

Perhaps I'm an odd one out however as I still own most of my old tech, whereas I simply didn't have room for all my old books and comics.

I just don't wanna put all my eggs in one basked (rely entirely on technology) and end up like that antisocial book fanatic who broke his glasses (the technology) after the apocalypse at the end of that one Twilight Zone. Everyone wants to consume everything digitally now. Power goes out, they have nothing.
I'm somewhat paranoid about such things to the point I have a decent solar battery charger. Not the best of quality I confess but it works. I have books on first aid and farming techniques saved to my phone and other electronic devices. Honestly if I had the money I'd probably be a full on prepper.

Reactions: gorfias

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Personally I enjoy heading to my local shop every Wednesday for new books. It's a nice hallmark of my week. I strongly prefer physical to digital comics. The reading experience is just different. And, with comics costing as much as they do, I feel better spending that money on a physical item rather than a digital file that lives in the internet void. For me, reading is typically a break away from screens and I would be unhappy having to move to exclusively digital. That being said, I do read the occasional digital title or collection if it's just something I want to check out or don't NEED to have in my collection. I just bought a new tablet (Galaxy Tab s6 Lite) and it's much better to read on than previous devices I've tried.