Stuff you couldn't get away with in 2020

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I don't think there's anything you can't get away with, people are just CHOOSING to submit themselves to critics and not go on doing some things when by all means they could keep doing them. All that changed is that people are less likely to just keep a firm lip as they ignore complainers and go on doing the art they want to do. They still can do that though, and the ones who do go on to keep doing that are seeing great success.

A great example is Ghost of Tsushima, where the western devs (the Infamous devs) didn't listen to the complainers that cry about "cultural appropriation" every time someone picks a costume to dress up in from a foreign to them civilization, and went on to make an authentic Samurai game akin to the period drama genre Kurosawa pioneered, and not only is the game amazing but people recognize it being that and is has sold super strongly, to the chagrin of the people who want "cultural appropriation" to be a thing. Even people in Japan love the game and celebrate it as authentic, which incidentally infuriates the complainers even more.

Good.
You know that critics deliberately overreact to things because we want them to right?

You can't say, 'This was a good movie' or 'This movie was scary'. It HAS to be 'The best movie eva' or 'The grossest movie you'll see. Half the people walked out'. It's how we want them to talk. (It doesn't excuse the critics. But it's like the news, they just giving us what we want.)

Pretty much South Park, Dave Chapelle, and these cartoons. I can't wait for this cancel fad to pass away so we can actually have fun content like before. Most of the canceleres have made offensive jokes like these in the past, but get mad when it's on TV.

Cancelers have been around for decades. Remember Reagan's control on TV content? That was way worse than now. You should be used to it already

Reactions: BrawlMan

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Not claiming they're anyone worth listening to but the article does exist so...

Ok, to call that line of reasoning "a stretch" is to call the sun "a little warm."

With all the stuff to actually be outraged about, when people IMAGINE things to be outraged about, it's pretty frustrating. The Alien design and reproductive method are sexual in that they're allegories for rape, hence the horror. Nothing about the creature says "black women" to me . And dreadlocks alone are not indicative of the larger "black" people; it's a very specific demographic that I don't think even the most timid, lily-white surburban housewife imagines first when she thinks of blacks to be afraid of. This was just stupid; these people need to focus on REAL problems.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
You know that critics deliberately overreact to things because we want them to right?

You can't say, 'This was a good movie' or 'This movie was scary'. It HAS to be 'The best movie eva' or 'The grossest movie you'll see. Half the people walked out'. It's how we want them to talk. (It doesn't excuse the critics. But it's like the news, they just giving us what we want.)
Unless you're one of those comedy critics who is trying to be funny more so than be a critic, no, they aren't (or shouldn't) be asked to overreact. I certainly don't want it. And I can see overwhelming positivity or negativity being genuine in a lot of cases which is why I take it as such.

I'm not talking about Angry Joe style people here, he's kind of a showman so of course that sort of thing you take with a pinch of salt.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA

I'd rather people just say how they actually feel and what they actually saw and heard. If one always overreacts then the obvious happens, I now no longer know if you are being genuine and so I cannot trust what you say.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
I can't passionately read aloud from the Quran while boarding a plane flight these days. Pity really, it was a favourite vocal exercise too. Also people get weird if you wanna put the twin towers in things, but holographic Michael Jackson is fine when it makes the big bucks.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I'd rather people just say how they actually feel and what they actually saw and heard. If one always overreacts then the obvious happens, I now no longer know if you are being genuine and so I cannot trust what you say.
Unless you're one of those comedy critics who is trying to be funny more so than be a critic, no, they aren't (or shouldn't) be asked to overreact. I certainly don't want it. And I can see overwhelming positivity or negativity being genuine in a lot of cases which is why I take it as such.

I'm not talking about Angry Joe style people here, he's kind of a showman so of course that sort of thing you take with a pinch of salt.
That’s great. Wonderful news.

The market doesn’t let this happen. Such a person cannot exist. The market demands overreaction. If you want to change this, you have to change the incentives. You have to change Capitalism.

This is a well known fact. Find any YouTuber. They will state to you, flat out and constantly, that positive reviews will lead to less views. Dramatically less. Even if you put truthful or honest stuff out there, no one will see it.

I want what you guys want. But Honesty always loses out to money. It’s just not what society wants.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA

The market doesn’t let this happen. Such a person cannot exist. The market demands overreaction. If you want to change this, you have to change the incentives. You have to change Capitalism.

This is a well known fact. Find any YouTuber. They will state to you, flat out and constantly, that positive reviews will lead to less views. Dramatically less. Even if you put truthful or honest stuff out there, no one will see it.

I want what you guys want. But Honesty always loses out to money. It’s just not what society wants.
This is incorrect. There are plenty of people that like positive videos. People having fun playing a game. Big name Youtubers making entire videos talking about how they appreciate their community (Whether genuine or not), or compilations of someone saying eekum bokum.

But you were talking about overreactions anyway, not negativity. I listen to a podcast that goes on for several hours and is just a bunch of Youtubers getting together and roasting a video by methodically going through it and constantly pausing to discuss what the video is saying or riff on it. People don't always want to have their adrenaline up.

Overall I think you have a rather skewed view of people. No one, or at least very very few people, want to be lied to. They may not accept truth because they believe the person is lying, but that is not the same as someone deliberately wanting to be lied to.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
This is incorrect. There are plenty of people that like positive videos. People having fun playing a game. Big name Youtubers making entire videos talking about how they appreciate their community (Whether genuine or not), or compilations of someone saying eekum bokum.

But you were talking about overreactions anyway, not negativity. I listen to a podcast that goes on for several hours and is just a bunch of Youtubers getting together and roasting a video by methodically going through it and constantly pausing to discuss what the video is saying or riff on it. People don't always want to have their adrenaline up.

Overall I think you have a rather skewed view of people. No one, or at least very very few people, want to be lied to. They may not accept truth because they believe the person is lying, but that is not the same as someone deliberately wanting to be lied to.
I should make it clear, you can positively overreact to things too. I haven’t looked at you video, as I’m at work. But I’m probably going to guess that it’s a bunch of gushing. Overreacting positively is just as bad as overeacting

Also, I still call a lot of this over reaction

And I enjoyed this and thought it was relatively accurate

Ghostrick Dorklord

Ordinary High School Girl
Legacy
Oct 2, 2009
Through the Looking Glass
Country
Wonderland
I remember The Breakfast Club using the f word a lot in its dialogue which wouldn't fly in today's radar if it was made today. There's a lot more that can be said about this movie compared to today's standards but this is the most prominent one since its now a very offensive slur. Only thing I could really think of.

Edit: Oof censorship but I hope the point was made.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I remember The Breakfast Club using the f word a lot in its dialogue which wouldn't fly in today's radar if it was made today. There's a lot more that can be said about this movie compared to today's standards but this is the most prominent one since its now a very offensive slur. Only thing I could really think of.

Edit: Oof censorship but I hope the point was made.
If you remade the Breakfast Club today, broadly speaking all that would change would be its rating. If you wanted to make it and flog it to the same audience then yeah, shit load is gonna change. And while Andrew’s casual slur is one big one, the other is Bender sticking his head up Clare’s skirt when he’s hiding under the desk from Mr. Vernon.

God I’m shocked I remember their character’s names. Still a killer soundtrack though.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Not claiming they're anyone worth listening to but the article does exist so...

No idea what they are on about with the Alien films, but when the were designing the creature for Predator 2, apparently they explicitly wanted a tribal urban gangster look, and that's the reason for the dreadlocks. I've seen that film a zillion times and never realised that until googling behind the scenes stuff last year.

OTOH, the 4 main police officers in that film are the sort of multi-ethnic group people would complain is too PC these days.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa

You just have to seek out people who aren't being critics of videogames in order to make a living. People who just care deeply about games and are criticizing them out of a drive to have their voices heard about those games without an ulterior motive, that's what you wanna listen to.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
No idea what they are on about with the Alien films, but when the were designing the creature for Predator 2, apparently they explicitly wanted a tribal urban gangster look, and that's the reason for the dreadlocks. I've seen that film a zillion times and never realised that until googling behind the scenes stuff last year.

OTOH, the 4 main police officers in that film are the sort of multi-ethnic group people would complain is too PC these days.
But... that doesn't make sense. The Predator had the dreads in the first movie too, it makes no sense for them to claim design of it in the second movie when it had those in the first.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
without an ulterior motive
Well there’s your problem. That person doesn’t exist.

Also, even if you had this wonderful unicorn, people who disagree with you would just say you have an ulterior motive. Because the people you like aren’t right or truthful. Or even altruistic. They just agree with your world view.

Reactions: Jarrito3002

Wintermute

Elite Member
Apr 25, 2020
Pindorama

I think it's pretty funny, but I'm an unwashed third worldian so the "n word" really is just another english word to me. I'm pretty sure I used to say it a lot to the guys in my guild when I played MMOs like 20 years ago as they told me it was just another word for friend/buddy/etc.

And that's how I learned english playing videogames.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Well there’s your problem. That person doesn’t exist.

Also, even if you had this wonderful unicorn, people who disagree with you would just say you have an ulterior motive. Because the people you like aren’t right or truthful. Or even altruistic. They just agree with your world view.
I don't need other people to like stuff I do, in fact the fewer other people like em the more novelty there is in me liking them, so while I do want things I appreciate to receive their deserved recognition and be justly glorified, I am not at all miffed if they remain the purview of only select connoisseurs.

Basically, they can say anything they want, I don't care one bit lol.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
But... that doesn't make sense. The Predator had the dreads in the first movie too, it makes no sense for them to claim design of it in the second movie when it had those in the first.
Yeah, not sure how that works. Does it have longer dreads in the second or something?

Or maybe it's just you're supposed to make stuff up when talking about behind the scenes trivia.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This boss fight.

You would hear nothing, but non-stop complaints and "think pieces" from Polygon or Kotaku and think they're being God's gift to mankind.