trump unveils supreme court nominee list

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Someone mentioned relief that Judge Judy isn't one of the picks, but she might be more qualified, what with actually having served as a judge. Ok, you could argue a reality tv host in the Supreme Court would diminish the prestige of the institution, but if America is fine with putting one in the Oval Office, why not on the bench?
I suspect those spoilsports in Congress might have a bit of an objection.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Lol, remember how that went last time?
Kavanaugh did at least have legal bona fides, and we already knew Republican politicians weren't that bothered by a bit of sexual assault here or there.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Kavanaugh did at least have legal bona fides, and we already knew Republican politicians weren't that bothered by a bit of sexual assault here or there.
To be fair, neither are the Dems. Everyone knew Clinton did some dodgy sexual stuff before he was ever president. I don’t know why a minimum standard for all political offices is ‘not raping or sexually harassing someone’.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Someone mentioned relief that Judge Judy isn't one of the picks, but she might be more qualified, what with actually having served as a judge. Ok, you could argue a reality tv host in the Supreme Court would diminish the prestige of the institution, but if America is fine with putting one in the Oval Office, why not on the bench?
She'd be better than Tom Cotton for sure. LOL
That is the guy who called poor people " moochers" called food stamp recipients "addicts"
He wants to use the military on the people, he voted against the violence against women act, against Native Americans being able prosecute non native Americans who commit crimes against them, wants to cut medicaid, medicare, food stamps, supported repeal of ACA without a replacement, so yea as a judge, he would rule against Medicare 4 all if the people managed to ever get it passed.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
John Hawley is one of the better ones on that list, the others including Cruz, and Cotton are horrible.

Cruz is a sociopath who support Trump after they insulted his family for political gain, and Cotton is a racist and fascist.

Hawley, however, is just a slight right-wing populist, basically a welfare state for me, and people who look like me, not for people of color.

Congress and the senate especially are filled with bad people. 92% of the senate and 90% of the house are awful, and brought, and sold for.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
The heavy politicisation of the Supreme Court is one of many things wrong with the way politics in the US works in any case. As long as the appointment of the justices lies in the hands of the president, they will remain political appointments and make a mockery of the independence of the judiciary. This is not recent. It goes back to the inception of the nation.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
People not having a choice where to get their internet is a different issue, and the first example of things going wrong is free HBO?
AT&T is actively making the user experience worse for people that subscribe to streaming services that AT&T does not own in order to push the streaming service they *do* own when they are the local monopoly of the ability to access streaming services *in general*.

I know that free-market conservatives are anything but, but still.

Reactions: Jarrito3002

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
AT&T is actively making the user experience worse for people that subscribe to streaming services that AT&T does not own in order to push the streaming service they *do* own when they are the local monopoly of the ability to access streaming services *in general*.

Are they making it worse, or are they just making theirs better? Was there ever a time where you could watch something like Netflix on a limited data plan without using data from AT&T, or any provider for that matter?

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
John Hawley is one of the better ones on that list, the others including Cruz, and Cotton are horrible.

Cruz is a sociopath who support Trump after they insulted his family for political gain, and Cotton is a racist and fascist.

Hawley, however, is just a slight right-wing populist, basically a welfare state for me, and people who look like me, not for people of color.

Congress and the senate especially are filled with bad people. 92% of the senate and 90% of the house are awful, and brought, and sold for.
Hawley is no better than the rest of them. He voted against minimum wage increase, he is part of the GOP lawsuit to rule the ACA Unconstitutional which would not just hurt the ACA, it would kill chances for Medicare for all as well. I don't think there is anything good about this list.. not at all.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Are they making it worse, or are they just making theirs better? Was there ever a time where you could watch something like Netflix on a limited data plan without using data from AT&T, or any provider for that matter?
If one is better then the other is worse, and they own the ability to access it *at all*.

If you like a free market, you should be against certain companies being able to use the expressway for free while competitors have to pay up.

Reactions: MrCalavera

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐

AT&T always makes everything worse.Their whole Uverse " upgrade" amounted to taking people's individual lines and forcing them to share their broadband with other people slowing yours down. My Dad had refused to do that forever and they kept trying to pressure him into it through all sorts of underhanded methods. LOL My family never did comply so they still have their own private line for less than the downgrade they overcharge everyone else for. The box is on my parents property and they have to get to it by going through their 4 giant angry farm dogs so they cannot change it without my Moms permission.
They called my mom ONCE since my father died and she really laid into them so they haven't called her back. My Dad would just argue with them and they thought that was bad, until they talked to my mom. LOL

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
If one is better then the other is worse, and they own the ability to access it *at all*.

If you like a free market, you should be against certain companies being able to use the expressway for free while competitors have to pay up.
I mean, it's not for free. They're not charging for the data being used.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009

Hawley actually already said hes not interested.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Is being intentionally obtuse a hobby or a profession?
They are deliberately making their competitors product work worse than their own by manipulating the internet infrastructure they have a near monopoly over

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
It's basically that old thing of taking a single large payment versus smaller payments with interest. It becomes a matter of the cost per episode/movie that simply makes their own option (AT&T own HBO) cheaper than the rival streaming services that get charged data still.

EDIT: Scrap of an old thought long gone was left in, whoops.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Is being intentionally obtuse a hobby or a profession?
They are deliberately making their competitors product work worse than their own by manipulating the internet infrastructure they have a near monopoly over
But they aren't making their competitors product worse, they're making their own better, and hoping the incentive of better product is worth the infrastructure hit they are allowing.

Like, was AT&T ever going to exempt every streaming service from data limits? No. So the end of net neutrality allowed them to make a better product without hurting anyone else other than in comparison. And like, streaming services are full of exclusivity agreements meant just to beat others by comparison, it isn't that unique. Now, if AT&T starts deliberately sabotaging other streaming services, I don't think we need explicit net neutrality laws to swing the anti-trust hammer heavily down on them. But this is the opposite of that.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Another reminder (as if it were needed) that the impact of a single election is not limited to 4 years, and that as such elections shouldn't be disregarded in the pursuit of purely hypothetical future gains.

Reactions: lil devils x

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
But they aren't making their competitors product worse, they're making their own better
In effect, that's the same thing. Consumers will weigh the relative merits of two products in their currents state, not the relative change of those two products since a previous time point.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
In effect, that's the same thing. Consumers will weigh the relative merits of two products in their currents state, not the relative change of those two products since a previous time point.
In a competitive sense, that's the same thing. In total effect to the consumer, it's opposite trajectories. What's the sense in refereeing competition in the marketplace if effect on the consumer isn't the measuring stick?