Discuss and Rate the Last Thing You Watched (non-movies)

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
All of Shadowhunters season 2 and also Reign season 1.

Alan van Sprang plays an evil power-hungry ruler whose got some weird and impractical plan of getting control about him, and there's a bunch of kids (including his own) that oppose him, squabble amongst themselves and angst about things. And there's lots of sex and getting together and splitting up.

Only one is set in France some 450 years ago and deals with intrigue at court with some maybe magic and impressive gowns, and the other is set in modern New York and deals with the local vampires and werewolves and stiff with some politics and less than impressive acting.

MetalHead

May 4, 2020
Country
US
Finally forced myself to watch Peaky Blinders. Had a lot of difficulties with the accents at first but stuck with it and I must say I'm glad I did. Outstanding series and can't wait for the next season.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Legends of Tomorrow: Season 3 (3/5)

You might recall that I've had very mixed feelings on LoT up to this point. That said, I thought season 2 was an improvement over season 1. Season 3 however, is the worst of the three.

I'm going to start with the villain, Mollus - I don't care if that's how you spell it. What is he? A time demon. What does he want to do? Destroy the world. Why? I dunno, he's evil I guess. Yeah, Damien Dhark and Nora are fun...sort of...but they're nothing special at this point. Season 3 is trying to go with the bickering villain stuff from season 2, but it doesn't work nearly as well. And as for the heroes...things are really off in this season. It's like LoT is sort of a constant cycle of throw-in characters who come and go. Wally West comes in later, but nothing about the dynamic actually changes. Rip has his moment of sacrifice, which is at the start of an episode, not the end, and it's pretty quickly brushed aside. Jefferson leaves after Stein dies, but not much changes. I've commented before that LoT feels like Doctor Who for dummies, with a lot more pew-pew-pew, and a lot less intelligence. This feels systemic of it, because most Doctor Who companions made their mark on the show, at least in the NuWho era. LoT? Not really.

Had some laughs, especially with the Bebo vs. Mollus thing at the end, but the season's just plain meh. Maybe it's an inditement of quality, maybe I'm just getting tired of it.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Legends of Tomorrow: Season 3 (3/5)

You might recall that I've had very mixed feelings on LoT up to this point. That said, I thought season 2 was an improvement over season 1. Season 3 however, is the worst of the three.

I'm going to start with the villain, Mollus - I don't care if that's how you spell it. What is he? A time demon. What does he want to do? Destroy the world. Why? I dunno, he's evil I guess. Yeah, Damien Dhark and Nora are fun...sort of...but they're nothing special at this point. Season 3 is trying to go with the bickering villain stuff from season 2, but it doesn't work nearly as well. And as for the heroes...things are really off in this season. It's like LoT is sort of a constant cycle of throw-in characters who come and go. Wally West comes in later, but nothing about the dynamic actually changes. Rip has his moment of sacrifice, which is at the start of an episode, not the end, and it's pretty quickly brushed aside. Jefferson leaves after Stein dies, but not much changes. I've commented before that LoT feels like Doctor Who for dummies, with a lot more pew-pew-pew, and a lot less intelligence. This feels systemic of it, because most Doctor Who companions made their mark on the show, at least in the NuWho era. LoT? Not really.

Had some laughs, especially with the Bebo vs. Mollus thing at the end, but the season's just plain meh. Maybe it's an inditement of quality, maybe I'm just getting tired of it.
Bebo was a definite low light. There’s a way to pull that off but not this way

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Bebo was a definite low light. There’s a way to pull that off but not this way
Disagree. For me, it was a highlight.

If Legends wants to sell itself as being humorous/quirky, go all in. Beebo is to the season what the Marshmellow Man is to Ghostbusters.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood: Season/Part 1

So, as usual I'm late to the party on this. After hearing people talk about this for a bit, I got around to watching this. And by that I mean, I started watching it a year ago, watch like 2-3 episodes then get distracted by something else that I find much more interesting, like the Mandalorian or Beastars. So after a number of starts and stops I've FINALLY finished the first season.

Essentially, it's one of those animes that sounds more interesting then it actually is, at least so far. I can follow what's going on but I'm having a hard time keeping my interest. The military drama hasn't grabbed me yet, Ed and Al seem likeable enough but not massively compelling and there not that much in the way of plot I care about. So far the mystery of the skeevy military shenanigans(with the secret lab using prisoners) and the homoculi are by far the most interesting things in this show but it feels the entire first season is basically setup for something else.

I'll admit I occasionally get knocked out of the zone by the tone shift of the "Serious, Serious, CHIBI/LOW DETAIL REACTION SHOTS!" and that doesn't help either.

I'm gonna give season 2 a shot to see if it gets better. And before anyone asks, no I haven't seen the original anime. I've heard this one is supposed to be better.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Disagree. For me, it was a highlight.

If Legends wants to sell itself as being humorous/quirky, go all in. Beebo is to the season what the Marshmellow Man is to Ghostbusters.
I don't particularly like Ghostbusters. Mainly because it's not really funny or fun. Not because of Stay Puft

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood: Season/Part 1

So, as usual I'm late to the party on this. After hearing people talk about this for a bit, I got around to watching this. And by that I mean, I started watching it a year ago, watch like 2-3 episodes then get distracted by something else that I find much more interesting, like the Mandalorian or Beastars. So after a number of starts and stops I've FINALLY finished the first season.

Essentially, it's one of those animes that sounds more interesting then it actually is, at least so far. I can follow what's going on but I'm having a hard time keeping my interest. The military drama hasn't grabbed me yet, Ed and Al seem likeable enough but not massively compelling and there not that much in the way of plot I care about. So far the mystery of the skeevy military shenanigans(with the secret lab using prisoners) and the homoculi are by far the most interesting things in this show but it feels the entire first season is basically setup for something else.

I'll admit I occasionally get knocked out of the zone by the tone shift of the "Serious, Serious, CHIBI/LOW DETAIL REACTION SHOTS!" and that doesn't help either.

I'm gonna give season 2 a shot to see if it gets better. And before anyone asks, no I haven't seen the original anime. I've heard this one is supposed to be better.
The first 10 or 15 episodes are really rushed because they rehashed the first 30-35ish episodes of the first anime and they wanted to get through it quickly since most of the potential audience had already seen those plot elements.

I actually found the first anime more compelling. Like many anime of the era, they clearly ran out of money by the end, but I prefer the plot, characterization, themes, and tone overall.

I think weebs like the later one better because of the chibi shots, fanservice, and more typical shonen tone and themes.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
The first 10 or 15 episodes are really rushed because they rehashed the first 30-35ish episodes of the first anime and they wanted to get through it quickly since most of the potential audience had already seen those plot elements.

I actually found the first anime more compelling. Like many anime of the era, they clearly ran out of money by the end, but I prefer the plot, characterization, themes, and tone overall.

I think weebs like the later one better because of the chibi shots, fanservice, and more typical shonen tone and themes.
I've heard more people talk about Brotherhood over the original and presumably it's closer to the Manga(which I'll take their word for). The first season being rushed would explain a bit, actually. Does that mean the pacing gets better from the 2nd season on? I do want to give this thing a chance, which usually means I'll give it a show a season or so to see if I enjoy it.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
I've heard more people talk about Brotherhood over the original and presumably it's closer to the Manga(which I'll take their word for). The first season being rushed would explain a bit, actually. Does that mean the pacing gets better from the 2nd season on? I do want to give this thing a chance, which usually means I'll give it a show a season or so to see if I enjoy it.
So, the first show follows the manga, but eventually diverges because it caught up to the manga, and went on to do its own thing. Brotherhood follows the manga from start to end, since it had been finished by that time. I personally think this is one instance when loyalty to the source material actually brings down an adaptation, but

The pacing does get better once its through what the first show covered.

Last edited:

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I don't particularly like Ghostbusters. Mainly because it's not really funny or fun. Not because of Stay Puft
Out of curiosity, if you don't mind answering, but how old are you? I'm curious how much of the humor of that film is generational. I know I've heard from other people, that they showed the film to their younger family/friends, and they often didn't enjoy it. Things like Vinkman's sleezy perv behavior not having a very good shelf life in terms of "loveable scamp" kind of archetype.

I do personally enjoy the film for a lot of reasons, one being the science vs religion angle, where science is shown to win, without having to fall back on mystical bullshit to do so. But I also enjoy the humor of a lot of it, though I've never really found Bill Murray very fun. He's always come across as an asshole to me, regardless of film.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Out of curiosity, if you don't mind answering, but how old are you? I'm curious how much of the humor of that film is generational. I know I've heard from other people, that they showed the film to their younger family/friends, and they often didn't enjoy it. Things like Vinkman's sleezy perv behavior not having a very good shelf life in terms of "loveable scamp" kind of archetype.

I do personally enjoy the film for a lot of reasons, one being the science vs religion angle, where science is shown to win, without having to fall back on mystical bullshit to do so. But I also enjoy the humor of a lot of it, though I've never really found Bill Murray very fun. He's always come across as an asshole to me, regardless of film.
I think Ghostbusters itself is a very ‘80s absurdist premise that might be difficult to wrap a younger mind around: four guys that drive a retrofitted hearse and wield scientifically inexplicable “proton-packs” that permit them to hunt ghosts as a public service? That and given that the visuals didn’t age very well (though the “dogs” are still pretty terrifying and Stay Puft is disturbing in a a very much “Attack on Titan” sorta way.) Plus, the humor is that ‘80s blend of juvenile and adult that makes the film change tonally from moment to moment, i.e.: one moment Slimer is gooping someone down for cheap laughs, and the next, a ghost is performing fellatio on a living human being. Despite being an ‘80s kid, I can’t say Ghostbusters was particularly “funny,” but it was a decent watch, memorable for a lot of reasons, but not particularly for its comedic moments.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane

I'm about to crack 40

Nostalgia doesn't work on me very well. That's probably a more likely reason

Edit: So I did like it when I was a kid. But grew out of it

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I'm about to crack 40

Nostalgia doesn't work on me very well. That's probably a more likely reason
yeah nostalgia doesn't hold much sway for me either, though it does depend on the medium. Music has more nostalgic impact for me than other things sometimes. But disregarding nostalgia, did you like it when you saw it back in the 80s? Or have you always disliked it?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
yeah nostalgia doesn't hold much sway for me either, though it does depend on the medium. Music has more nostalgic impact for me than other things sometimes. But disregarding nostalgia, did you like it when you saw it back in the 80s? Or have you always disliked it?
I thought it was good when I was a kid. But I never really wanted to see it over and over like Star Wars. But I did watch the cartoon regularly. S0.... liked but never loved

I think its got to do with Rick Moranis. Everyone else isn't really being funny but he's the comic relief and I just found him annoy (when I watched it again when I was older.) Like Honey I Shrunk the Kids annoying. He has funny stuff but not this. (Just to be clear, I dont find Bill Murray funny here at all. He was funnier in Life Aquatic.)

Yeah music does hold more nostalgic value, imo. I'm currently listening to a lot of NIN

Reactions: happyninja42

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
This one really bugs me, because neither the setting nor the characters call for. Yes, there can be humor and jokes, but what's the added benefit to warping the artstyle to such a degree for the purpose of comedy? Especially when it completely clashes with the tone.

I've got a similar problem with Netflix's The Dragon Prince, where the humor is constantly undercutting the characters and the mood of a scene. You're not a comedy show, stop desperately trying to fire off jokes like you're Bill Duke with a gatling gun.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I tried watching the new Dragon's Dogma show on Netflix.

I don't much care for the idea of a Dragon's Dogma show, mostly because the story of Dragon's Dogma isn't all that interesting so there's not much there in terms of compelling writing, but I wanted to give this a shot because it's by the studio that did the Castlevania show, which is awesome.

So how does it compare? Poorly.

Honestly, I turned it off after about 8 minutes. This show clearly didn't have the same kind of budget or time that Castlevania got. The CGI is bad and rushed and the animation isn't very good. The whole thing looks like any of the other Netflix CGI anime shows, which are all incredibly mediocre.

So the visuals aren't interesting, the animation is subpar compared the Castlevania, and I never cared for the story of Dragon's Dogma. There's really nothing for me here.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Give S2 a chance. It does less of the chibi stuff (I never minded to begin with) and Manga/Brotherhood still has strong characterization and development. As much as I like FMA (2003), it's suffers the same problem a lot of anime adaption in the 90s and early 2000s suffer from: Don't Jump Ahead from the manga. Even back in high school, I could tell the anime was going in a different just before the halfway point (anime only characters for one). The fact that writers were making some ass pulls around the final episodes (there is a certain in 1 episode, but it sounds like a flimsy justification), and the Conquer of Shamballa is not good. Canon to 2003 version and is the final episode to that show. Granted not all anime that did not completely follow the manga were bad, like Trigun, Gunsmith Cats, Outlaw Star, or Digimon, or Shaman King (most of these or all are better than their manga counterparts), but most anime from that era are mediocre or have not aged well. The fact that certain ones could not tell a complete story, or delay it, because of said don't jump ahead limitation does not help at all. Granted, there are some manga where the story was never good to begin with, and it just happened to show up more pronounced in the adaptions. Though that is why they are called adaptions, they don't have to be super accurate all the time, as long as they're telling a good or great story. Or at the very least the characters are interesting in some way.

Reactions: Dalisclock

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Tiger King.....WTF

What is the obsession with this dude? Some Jerry Springer level stuff right here.

0/10 for me
A lot of people like watching shitty people be shitty, and thus feel better by comparison. I've never seen the appeal myself but, there you go.