Discuss and Rate the Last Thing You Watched (non-movies)

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I tried watching the new Dragon's Dogma show on Netflix.

I don't much care for the idea of a Dragon's Dogma show, mostly because the story of Dragon's Dogma isn't all that interesting so there's not much there in terms of compelling writing, but I wanted to give this a shot because it's by the studio that did the Castlevania show, which is awesome.

So how does it compare? Poorly.

Honestly, I turned it off after about 8 minutes. This show clearly didn't have the same kind of budget or time that Castlevania got. The CGI is bad and rushed and the animation isn't very good. The whole thing looks like any of the other Netflix CGI anime shows, which are all incredibly mediocre.

So the visuals aren't interesting, the animation is subpar compared the Castlevania, and I never cared for the story of Dragon's Dogma. There's really nothing for me here.
I wasn't aware Dragons Dogma had much of a story. OTOH, neither does Castlevania and the show just went "That's cool, we'll make it up as we go" using bits and pieces from the games lore.

I know it's not a great comparison, but I keep thinking someone trying to make an animated Adaptation of Dark Souls considering how sparse the actual storyline is.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Watched all of Shadowhunters. so that, now, is a thing I have watched. I watched it all the way through, so it therefore is watchable all the way through.

There's some good bits in there, and also some really not so good bits also in there. The acting isn't great, but IMHO, worse is that nobody seems interested in what they are doing. People go hunting demons (when they actually do) in their everyday clothes, chatting about their love lives and without any planning or preparation.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
The trailer for Wandavision. I dunno, feels like a Marvel version of The Truman Show perhaps? With Vision being Truman. What the ultimate goal is, not sure, perhaps to revitalize him and bring him back from the dead.

Never been a fan of the 50's era sitcoms, in reality or in parody, so I'll likely continue to not be interested in it.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I've been watching Avatar the air bender with my siblings, and its okay. Just okay. It feels like Teen Titans, but without the weight of DC characters. Like Im very much aware im 20 years older than the intended audience, but I don't think I would have gone banana peanut butter crazy for it like everyone else did. Then again I didn't get into Harry Potter, Pokemon, Twilight or any of that back in the day.
Its still early seasons, but Aang just annoys me, Katara always seems to be wrong about everything(to a worrying degree as she's currently the only main female character) and while Sokka is clearly not the sharpest crayon in the shed, he's the only one who acts reasonable in any way. 'Watch out for the fire nation, we need food, don't stab yourself. Oh look, we've been captured by the fire nation, we're hungry, and you're bleeding'
It feels like the formula is Sokka foresees the problems coming, Katara gets them into those problems, and then Aang magics them out of those problems. Rinse and Repeat.
And then there's Anakin FireWalker, who clearly isn't going to turn into a good guy, clearly and I can tell he won't because he's young like the rest of them, and traditionally handsome with a mustard stain on his face.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I've been watching Avatar the air bender with my siblings, and its okay. Just okay. It feels like Teen Titans, but without the weight of DC characters. Like Im very much aware im 20 years older than the intended audience, but I don't think I would have gone banana peanut butter crazy for it like everyone else did. Then again I didn't get into Harry Potter, Pokemon, Twilight or any of that back in the day.
Its still early seasons, but Aang just annoys me, Katara always seems to be wrong about everything(to a worrying degree as she's currently the only main female character) and while Sokka is clearly not the sharpest crayon in the shed, he's the only one who acts reasonable in any way. 'Watch out for the fire nation, we need food, don't stab yourself. Oh look, we've been captured by the fire nation, we're hungry, and you're bleeding'
It feels like the formula is Sokka foresees the problems coming, Katara gets them into those problems, and then Aang magics them out of those problems. Rinse and Repeat.
And then there's Anakin FireWalker, who clearly isn't going to turn into a good guy, clearly and I can tell he won't because he's young like the rest of them, and traditionally handsome with a mustard stain on his face.
Yeah the show is strangely negative toward Sokka when he's very rarely in the wrong, especially compared to Aang. I also watched it recently and think it's decent without much more. I think the last part fo S2 is supposed to be where a lot of fan think the series peaked, but I actually found that it was the worse part of the series for me, so maybe I just didn't watch it with the correct mindset or something.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Finished South Park seasons 1 to 20 on Blu-ray today. I enjoyed rewatching the later seasons more than I expected. Been watching these five season boxsets since December.

I hate that I have to stream or download crappy encodes from hereon, because even if I wanted to get the next couple of seasons on disc, season 22 is out of print for some reason. I guess I'll start my free Hulu trial and hope the quality isn't as shitty as Netflix.

Started Buffy the Vampire Slayer on DVD yesterday. DVD because of how badly framed and miscolored the HD version is. Still rewatching the X-Files on Blu-ray. Season 7. On the last season of Thundercats (DVD).

Last edited:

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I saw enough of the show back in the day to be appropriately depressed by the Shyamalan version, but I can't say it ever grabbed me. After the first 10 or 15 "kids on a quest" shows I was tapped out for Avatar.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
I'll admit I occasionally get knocked out of the zone by the tone shift of the "Serious, Serious, CHIBI/LOW DETAIL REACTION SHOTS!" and that doesn't help either.
This one really bugs me, because neither the setting nor the characters call for. Yes, there can be humor and jokes, but what's the added benefit to warping the artstyle to such a degree for the purpose of comedy? Especially when it completely clashes with the tone.
Chalk up another one that finds it weird too. I think this is why I like OPM so much, is that they go the opposite direction and go for super detailed reaction shots (except for Tatsumaki, who gets downgraded to her comic version).

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Season 1 is definitely the weakest of the 3 seasons. Seasons 2 and 3 are legitimately great though.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Season 1 is definitely the weakest of the 3 seasons. Seasons 2 and 3 are legitimately great though.
I'd say all the seasons are pretty strong, but you can tell Mike and Bryan were sorting things out and making adjustments. Me personally, I'd say S3 is technically the weakest, but not by much. I love S2 and S3....for the most part. Fuck Painted Lady and Avatar Day! Fuck them hard! You're actually in the minority about S3, though recently and a few years ago, it's become love it or hate it territory. The people against S3 is the fact you don't get more character development from Mai or Ty Lee, too much focus on humor or filler, and the last minute ass pulls such asThe Lion Turtle and Energybending. I knew they were not going to focus that much on Mai or Ty Lee, so no big deal for me. I never cared much for Mai. She was just another emo freak, and her character gets worse in the comics. You're supposed to like her in the sequel comics, but she's such horrible person and designated hero, you're going to want to dragon kick her ass in to the Milky Way. S3's filler really suffers from The Painted Lady, and that's it. Humor, I can kind of see, but the writers were able to keep it balanced and appropriate when needed. The main focus was always going to be on Aang, Katara, Zuko, and Sokka. I get there are other characters, but some of these fans held way too high or off the rails expectations.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Chalk up another one that finds it weird too. I think this is why I like OPM so much, is that they go the opposite direction and go for super detailed reaction shots (except for Tatsumaki, who gets downgraded to her comic version).
Arguably. It's not the weirdest anime that's done this. Hellsing Ultimate would do that as well and considering how fucking grimdark that show is it makes it even more jarring.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Arguably. It's not the weirdest anime that's done this. Hellsing Ultimate would do that as well and considering how fucking grimdark that show is it makes it even more jarring.
Heallsing Ultimate is already so over the top that whenever it went to chibi art style, I just ended up busting a gut.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Fuck Painted Lady
Interestingly that's one of my favorite episodes, mostly because it's a Katara focused one. I really like how it helped to solidify her personality as a caregiver. Too often characters like that (the nurturing caregivers), are, well treated like they do in that episode really. Told to just suck it up, let the people suffer, there's nothing you can do for them. And Katara is like, "fuck that noise. I'm a water bending master, this is a town ON A RIVER. These are entry level fire nation soldiers, we eat these faceless mooks for breakfast! I'm going to fuck them up, and none of you can tell me to just let these people suffer!" And so she goes out and fucking DOES THAT. And it's awesome. Plus I love

The look of her in the Painted Lady outfit. I dunno, it just looked badass to me. Her standing on the water, the brim of the straw hat hiding her upper face, the painted lines on her cheeks and arms. The way the sheer shawl is draped over her, and the wind blowing the fog across her, as she's floating there, intimidating the fire nation soldiers. And then when she just bursts out and starts fucking them up. Love that shit. And then, at the end, when the actual spirit the Painted Lady, thanks her for her help in restoring her place of power, and the people tied to her. *shrugs* That's the kind of storytelling I love.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
True that.

I mean, it has Vampire Nazis with jetpacks with battle Zepplins that fire V1 rockets. So yeah.
I'm assuming you guys have seen Hellsing Ulimate Abridged by Team Fourstar right? Because if not, you absolutely should. It's amazing.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I haven't but now I really want to.
You totally should. I'm not a fan of the original material of DBZ or Hellsing, but Team Fourstar's comedy shows of them are priceless. You don't have to know the source material to get the humor, but if you do, I assume it makes it even funnier. Because they are HUGE fans of the material, but they also love making fun of the insane stuff. You know...like vampire nazi's with jetpacks, and zepplins and big titty police girls!

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm assuming you guys have seen Hellsing Ulimate Abridged by Team Fourstar right? Because if not, you absolutely should. It's amazing.
I have seen both. Both are hilarious.

Interestingly that's one of my favorite episodes, mostly because it's a Katara focused one. I really like how it helped to solidify her personality as a caregiver. Too often characters like that (the nurturing caregivers), are, well treated like they do in that episode really. Told to just suck it up, let the people suffer, there's nothing you can do for them. And Katara is like, "fuck that noise. I'm a water bending master, this is a town ON A RIVER. These are entry level fire nation soldiers, we eat these faceless mooks for breakfast! I'm going to fuck them up, and none of you can tell me to just let these people suffer!" And so she goes out and fucking DOES THAT. And it's awesome. Plus I love

The look of her in the Painted Lady outfit. I dunno, it just looked badass to me. Her standing on the water, the brim of the straw hat hiding her upper face, the painted lines on her cheeks and arms. The way the sheer shawl is draped over her, and the wind blowing the fog across her, as she's floating there, intimidating the fire nation soldiers. And then when she just bursts out and starts fucking them up. Love that shit. And then, at the end, when the actual spirit the Painted Lady, thanks her for her help in restoring her place of power, and the people tied to her. *shrugs* That's the kind of storytelling I love.
My main problem with the painted Lady is basically just that. It's already been established that Katara is a caring person and continues to grow. There is also Katara's my way or the highway attitude. I did not like it. This is where everyone's complaints about her being a busy body or nosy really comes into play, or other anti-Katara fans get their sources from. The problem is that later episodes do it better and a coincide with her character and development, and the plot. My problem is that the episode felt like it's something that should have been done in early season one, or early season two. The concept of design of the Painted Lady is awesome, but I felt it could have been used for better effect elsewhere. The episode is filler you can skip and you literally would not miss anything. But if you enjoy it, more power to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: happyninja42