Discuss and Rate the Last Thing You Watched (non-movies)

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
My main problem with the painted Lady is basically just that. It's already been established that Katara is a caring person and continues to grow. There is also Katara's my way or the highway attitude. I did not like it. This is where everyone's complaints about her being a busy body or nosy really comes into play, or other anti-Katara fans get their sources from. The problem is that later episodes do it better and a coincide with her character and development, and the plot. My problem is that the episode felt like it's something that should have been done in only season one, or early season two. The concept of design of the painted Lady is awesome, but I felt it could have been used for better effect elsewhere. The episode is filler you can skip and you literally would not miss anything. But if you enjoy it, more power to you.
Yeah it's a filler episode, I won't disagree, but that's a pretty standard thing with series shows. Not every episode needs to push the main plot. Sometimes you need a break to flesh out interpersonal relationships, establish some backstory for a character, or just have something fun before you go into a really dark 3 parter where everything is pain, misery and betrayal.

As to her being established as a caregiver before, I dunno, for me, prior to painted lady, it was usually framed as her being a "nagging mom" kind of character. that she cared for people because she felt they needed someone guiding them. Not just that it was a part of her nature, that she was someone who wanted to help others, as her fundamental being. Not just because she felt sorry for this little bald kid, or her bumbling brother, but because that's just what she wanted to do with her life. To spend her time helping others. So to tell her to not do it, was something that went against the very core of her being. So she refused. She could help, so she WOULD help.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Oh, South Park is now on HBO Max, not Hulu. Licenses getting passed around is another reason I was more comfortable just buying the last twenty seasons on disc.

Still watching Mister Bean as well. Watched Do-It-Yourself Mr. Bean last night. The ending was perfect.

9. Do-It-Yourself Mr. Bean.mkv_snapshot_25.06.538.jpg

Reactions: MrCalavera

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Curiosity got the better of me, and I started watching "Rick and Morty." I'm about halfway through season 2, and am not disappointed; I like absurd and crude humor. Also, the "schwifty" song is now stuck in my head.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
You totally should. I'm not a fan of the original material of DBZ or Hellsing, but Team Fourstar's comedy shows of them are priceless. You don't have to know the source material to get the humor, but if you do, I assume it makes it even funnier. Because they are HUGE fans of the material, but they also love making fun of the insane stuff. You know...like vampire nazi's with jetpacks, and zepplins and big titty police girls!
I went ahead and started youtubing it and oh my god, that's fucking brilliant. Thanks for recommending it. I'm not finished with it yet but the voice work is very well done, they generally keep the actual plot well enough and yet the jokes land very consistently and are spot on.

Is it terrible I like the Majors new "I love war" speech a lot better now? "Drug War....Race War....Storage Wars.....Cold Wars"

Hell, making Alucard such a major troll to everyone just works so well.

Ironically, the church comes off looking a little bit better in this then they did in the actual show, going from "Pure Cartoonishly Evil" to "Maxwell is evil, but even he has standards", particularly in the scene before the Crusade starts. "YOU GUYS NEED TO CHILL, ALRIGHT!" There's still plenty of references to the sex abuse scandals though.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I went ahead and started youtubing it and oh my god, that's fucking brilliant. Thanks for recommending it. I'm not finished with it yet but the voice work is very well done, they generally keep the actual plot well enough and yet the jokes land very consistently and are spot on.

Is it terrible I like the Majors new "I love war" speech a lot better now? "Drug War....Race War....Storage Wars.....Cold Wars"

Hell, making Alucard such a major troll to everyone just works so well.

Ironically, the church comes off looking a little bit better in this then they did in the actual show, going from "Pure Cartoonishly Evil" to "Maxwell is evil, but even he has standards", particularly in the scene before the Crusade starts. "YOU GUYS NEED TO CHILL, ALRIGHT!" There's still plenty of references to the sex abuse scandals though.
Yeah it's a great show, my wife and I have adopted the catch phrase (Bitches love canons!) as a common saying in our house. Almost like a greeting. She has this goofy habit of when she burbs, she just says the word BIIIITCH in the burp. Invariably, one of us will finish "love canons!"

....my wife and are goofy.

I also highly recommend their DBZ abridged if you haven't seen it yet. Fucking priceless shit there. Season 1 is a taaad slow, as it was their first outing into this whole "abridged" thing, but by season 2 (when the cast goes to Namek), it's just fucking amazing.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Yeah it's a great show, my wife and I have adopted the catch phrase (Bitches love canons!) as a common saying in our house. Almost like a greeting. She has this goofy habit of when she burbs, she just says the word BIIIITCH in the burp. Invariably, one of us will finish "love canons!"

....my wife and are goofy.

I also highly recommend their DBZ abridged if you haven't seen it yet. Fucking priceless shit there. Season 1 is a taaad slow, as it was their first outing into this whole "abridged" thing, but by season 2 (when the cast goes to Namek), it's just fucking amazing.
I'll take a look at that as well. A friend of mine has said as much as well but I hadnt seen DBZ so I wasn't really thinking of it.

Oh, and another great line from the Major:
Officer:"Major, Our men are getting Slaughtered!"
Major:"Who cares? They're nazis!"

Also the Hamilton parody at the end of one episode was just perfect. I didn't know I needed that but apparently I did.

Reactions: happyninja42

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I'll take a look at that as well. A friend of mine has said as much as well but I hadnt seen DBZ so I wasn't really thinking of it.
The nice thing is really don't need to be familiar with it. They establish the setting rules well enough for anyone unfamiliar (like myself), and then the rest of the humor is just good humor that anyone can get. I'd say maybe 5% of the jokes really needed you to be familiar with the material, and usually a quick wiki search or comment in the YT video is enough to clarify something you might miss.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
The nice thing is really don't need to be familiar with it. They establish the setting rules well enough for anyone unfamiliar (like myself), and then the rest of the humor is just good humor that anyone can get. I'd say maybe 5% of the jokes really needed you to be familiar with the material, and usually a quick wiki search or comment in the YT video is enough to clarify something you might miss.
I have some vague idea of the whole thing just through Cultural Osmosis and memes so hopefully that should be enough.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I have some vague idea of the whole thing just through Cultural Osmosis and memes so hopefully that should be enough.
It will be. I had even less than that really going in (never saw a single episode), and it's one of my favorite comedy things like...ever. The Frieza saga on Namek (season 2), I've rewatched multiple times.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
The Americans. So good, one of the best shows I've seen. Kinda sad it's over. Also seen Rectify about a bloke who spent the time from his late teens to late thirties on death row while he was innocent. Really heartfelt drama about the reintegration into society of a now fundamentally broken person. It also details both the corruption in the justice system and the few good people trying to make a difference. Not gonna lie it moved me to tears a few times.

Reactions: MetalHead

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Yeah it's a filler episode, I won't disagree, but that's a pretty standard thing with series shows. Not every episode needs to push the main plot. Sometimes you need a break to flesh out interpersonal relationships, establish some backstory for a character, or just have something fun before you go into a really dark 3 parter where everything is pain, misery and betrayal.

As to her being established as a caregiver before, I dunno, for me, prior to painted lady, it was usually framed as her being a "nagging mom" kind of character. that she cared for people because she felt they needed someone guiding them. Not just that it was a part of her nature, that she was someone who wanted to help others, as her fundamental being. Not just because she felt sorry for this little bald kid, or her bumbling brother, but because that's just what she wanted to do with her life. To spend her time helping others. So to tell her to not do it, was something that went against the very core of her being. So she refused. She could help, so she WOULD help.
There's filler episode like the Painted Lady. Then there's filler episodes like the old lady water bender. Filler episode should be like that

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
There's filler episode like the Painted Lady. Then there's filler episodes like the old lady water bender. Filler episode should be like that
*shrugs* I don't agree. Filler episodes can simply be a fun episode that just lets the people be people. AND it can also be an episode that shapes a character's background as well.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Midway through season 2 of Reign, and it's alright. Mostly. Keeps dragging on and on, lots of new people and things are introduced and not really resolved, lots of pointless whining and verges on being a boring rich people show.

Also, taking modern music and playing it with period authentic (presumably) instruments isn't as clever as they think it is. Ok, it works with songs by Lorde which are entitled "Royals", because they are entitled "Royals". Otherwise, not so much.

Also, it keeps being strangely similar to Shadowhunters, in lots of weird and coincidental ways.

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Ascension (2014)
SPOILERS so stop reading if you don't want to read about it.
Okay so I am one of those weird people who is REALLY into the whole 1960's space age thing. I actually liked Tomorrowland( 2015), not because of the plot or script but because of the whole 1968 world's fair and the idea of the city itself was inspiring to me. So that part of the story with this being a space vessel being sent on a 100 year journey to populate another planet was a great theme, of course that isn't what was really happening, but still the premise was interesting. I actually liked much of the plot itself was interesting and wished they had been able to go further with that.

Now the cons..
1) Um, they were planning on trying to populate another planet and they are ONLY bringing white people and two black people who are mother and son, then they kill off one of the only two black people, and not even allow the only black person left to get a mate match? WTH? The entire rest of the cast was like entirely white. I guess this was a " white only planet" they were intending to populate here because that was creepy. I mean even the actual Star Trek filmed in the actual 60's had people of all races and they were not even using that ship as a "populate another world" ship like this one was supposed to be. Yea, it is kind of strange how this show came out of casting without anyone questioning the fact that they are essentially eliminating all other races from existence entirely on their planet here. They could have done much better on casting and character quality.

2)So they are supposed to be bringing the best minds from earth, scientists, doctors, engineers and well.. Prostitutes? Like they were grooming all those " stewardesses" to essentially be hookers? WTH was that even about and they can put a bunch of white hookers to repopulate another planet but not any other races? Yea.. that whole thing was just stupid.

3) It was incomplete/ unfinished. Weird editing, incomplete ending.

4)This ship supposedly left earth in the 60's, so why did they have led screened tablets and modern medical equipment instead of the clanky metal medical equipment from the 60's and HELLO? Where is all my 60's space age awesome stuff I love, like the reason I became interested in the 60's to begin with. The styles were all wrong. Props, set design were all wrong. and no GoGo boots or mini dresses to be seen anywhere. No egg chairs, orgasmatrons, tin robots, The coolest things they could have had and they failed miserably on it. If they were going to " upgrade it" due to the " 50" years into the journey, I would have much rather seen a medical lab designed in all white curves like the egg chair, all bubbly , but it was pretty well meh and out of place for what it was supposed to be set in.

Last edited:

MetalHead

May 4, 2020
Country
US
Midway through season 2 of Reign, and it's alright. Mostly. Keeps dragging on and on, lots of new people and things are introduced and not really resolved, lots of pointless whining and verges on being a boring rich people show.

Also, taking modern music and playing it with period authentic (presumably) instruments isn't as clever as they think it is. Ok, it works with songs by Lorde which are entitled "Royals", because they are entitled "Royals". Otherwise, not so much.

Also, it keeps being strangely similar to Shadowhunters, in lots of weird and coincidental ways.
Reign was one for me that got better as the episodes moved along. Definitely felt the back end of the series was better than the front end.

MetalHead

May 4, 2020
Country
US
The Americans. So good, one of the best shows I've seen. Kinda sad it's over. Also seen Rectify about a bloke who spent the time from his late teens to late thirties on death row while he was innocent. Really heartfelt drama about the reintegration into society of a now fundamentally broken person. It also details both the corruption in the justice system and the few good people trying to make a difference. Not gonna lie it moved me to tears a few times.
Could have taken another 10 seasons of The Americans. What happened with Elizabeth and Philip once back in Russia? What path did Paige take? So much more they could have done with that show.

Reactions: stroopwafel

MetalHead

May 4, 2020
Country
US
Ascension (2014)
SPOILERS so stop reading if you don't want to read about it.
Okay so I am one of those weird people who is REALLY into the whole 1960's space age thing. I actually liked Tomorrowland( 2015), not because of the plot or script but because of the whole 1968 world's fair and the idea of the city itself was inspiring to me. So that part of the story with this being a space vessel being sent on a 100 year journey to populate another planet was a great theme, of course that isn't what was really happening, but still the premise was interesting. I actually liked much of the plot itself was interesting and wished they had been able to go further with that.

Now the cons..
1) Um, they were planning on trying to populate another planet and they are ONLY bringing white people and two black people who are mother and son, then they kill off one of the only two black people, and not even allow the only black person left to get a mate match? WTH? The entire rest of the cast was like entirely white. I guess this was a " white only planet" they were intending to populate here because that was creepy. I mean even the actual Star Trek filmed in the actual 60's had people of all races and they were not even using that ship as a "populate another world" ship like this one was supposed to be. Yea, it is kind of strange how this show came out of casting without anyone questioning the fact that they are essentially eliminating all other races from existence entirely on their planet here. They could have done much better on casting and character quality.

2)So they are supposed to be bringing the best minds from earth, scientists, doctors, engineers and well.. Prostitutes? Like they were grooming all those " stewardesses" to essentially be hookers? WTH was that even about and they can put a bunch of white hookers to repopulate another planet but not any other races? Yea.. that whole thing was just stupid.

3) It was incomplete/ unfinished. Weird editing, incomplete ending.

4)This ship supposedly left earth in the 60's, so why did they have led screened tablets and modern medical equipment instead of the clanky metal medical equipment from the 60's and HELLO? Where is all my 60's space age awesome stuff I love, like the reason I became interested in the 60's to begin with. The styles were all wrong. Props, set design were all wrong. and no GoGo boots or mini dresses to be seen anywhere. No egg chairs, orgasmatrons, tin robots, The coolest things they could have had and they failed miserably on it. If they were going to " upgrade it" due to the " 50" years into the journey, I would have much rather seen a medical lab designed in all white curves like the egg chair, all bubbly , but it was pretty well meh and out of place for what it was supposed to be set in.
Uhhhhh.......Prostitutes were there to prevent war. More sex, less fighting.

Reactions: lil devils x

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Uhhhhh.......Prostitutes were there to prevent war. More sex, less fighting.
Like some how the doctors, scientists, engineers don't want more sex..
The mini-series was apparently an attempt at an extended pilot for an actual TV-show that would have picked up right after the cliffhangery ending. The mini-series did not garner enough attention though, so the show was quietly canned and forgotten.
Ah that makes sense. The ending of it seemed like it cut out a lot and had it all crammed together pretty weird. I wonder if they had actually put more thought into the actual makeup of the cast for the population they were intending to " save mankind with" and populate another planet with and gave the characters more depth if that would have made a difference in whether or not it was picked up. Just looking at the funeral scene alone and all the people just piled up like that made it look like a white supremist wet dream. Like we are going to have 2 black people, kill one and then make sure the other one can't reproduce.. That wasn't helping the situation. And like Asians, Native Americans, Pacific Islanders, Latinos, Arabic ect don't exist at all on their future planet.

The weird thing is, this ship supposedly left earth at the height of the civil rights movement, and other shows and movies actually created during that same period in history had numerous races in them, so it wasn't like American society at that point was completely isolated from other races either. Sure racism is a thing but anyone planning to repopulate another world would want genetic diversity, and even NASA itself had brilliant people of all races and ethnicities working for them at that time. Hell The region where NASA is in Texas is extremely diverse with large communities of all ethnicities and has been such since the days of the railroads in the wild west, so none of the reasoning for excluding them would even make sense for the time period. Though the history books have left out many of the immigrant communities who built US cities, it is pretty well known here they have existed here and were part of the people who actually built NASA. We have huge Asian, Turkish, Arabic, communities there that have been there from at least back when they built the railroads, and the city itself is like 44% Latino, 7% Asian and 22% Black. Them leaving races out for a space project entirely like that makes no sense at all really outside of the casting selectors own personal bias.