Metal Gear Solid Remake - Speculation

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I think him and Konami have parted ways for good and honestly, I wouldn't be suprised if he isn't glad to be rid of Metal Gear. If you believe the stories, he's been trying to end the series for a long time before MGSV. Considering MGS2's ending, MGS3 being a prequel and MGS4 trying desperately to wrap everything up in a neat package, one could easily make that argument.
Pretty sure you meant would be surprised if he isn’t glad, but yeah. It always reminds me of this whole docu-drama-dissection-

Reactions: Dalisclock

Chupathingy

CONTROL Agent
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
In somewhat related news the PC versions of Metal Gear, Metal Gear Solid and MGS2: Substance have all been added to GOG.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Pretty sure you meant would be surprised if he isn’t glad, but yeah. It always reminds me of this whole docu-drama-dissection-

You're right.

And it looks like half of the rumor was true, of several of the titles coming to PC(No MG2:Solid Snake, unfortunately) so chances are good that a remake and some updated re-releases are incoming as well.

I am waiting to hear if there are any notable bugs, glitches or issues(beyond one's intrinsic to the games themselves) with these versions of MGS and MGS2 before getting a backup copy.

The first Metal Gear game(the 1987 original) is really....meh. I did a big write up of the entire series on the old forums(I can link to it if anyone is interested, but it is long and ranty at times) but the first game is very much a game of it's time and feels very dated by today's standards and has a lot of annoying flaws that most people would not tolerate today(you can't hold a keycard and wear a gasmask at the same time, and then have to open locked doors in rooms filled with toxic gas because fuck you), but it did essentially create the stealth genre but it's a game you play for completionist sake or you really love old games.

MG2 did pretty much everything the first game did but better(though not without it's own issues. Fuck the Swamp maze).Also, MG2 had one of the best title/attract screens I think I've seen and comes across as being very faithful to movies of the same period.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
You're right.

And it looks like half of the rumor was true, of several of the titles coming to PC(No MG2:Solid Snake, unfortunately) so chances are good that a remake and some updated re-releases are incoming as well.

I am waiting to hear if there are any notable bugs, glitches or issues(beyond one's intrinsic to the games themselves) with these versions of MGS and MGS2 before getting a backup copy.

The first Metal Gear game(the 1987 original) is really....meh. I did a big write up of the entire series on the old forums(I can link to it if anyone is interested, but it is long and ranty at times) but the first game is very much a game of it's time and feels very dated by today's standards and has a lot of annoying flaws that most people would not tolerate today(you can't hold a keycard and wear a gasmask at the same time, and then have to open locked doors in rooms filled with toxic gas because fuck you), but it did essentially create the stealth genre but it's a game you play for completionist sake or you really love old games.

MG2 did pretty much everything the first game did but better(though not without it's own issues).Also, MG2 had one of the best title/attract screens I think I've seen and comes across as being very faithful to movies of the same period.

I do find it weird they didn't even bother putting metal gear 2 on there. They barely would have to do anything.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I do find it weird they didn't even bother putting metal gear 2 on there. They barely would have to do anything.
We can only hope that's the next game to get a port. I mean, they did MG so why not the sequel that used the same MSX2 hardware?

Well, I mean, MGS3 really should get a re-release or a good port, but MG2 would be a pretty easy one to do since they've already got a port ready to go along with the MGS3 Subsistence edition.

Last edited:

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
You're right.

MG2 did pretty much everything the first game did but better(though not without it's own issues. Fuck the Swamp maze).Also, MG2 had one of the best title/attract screens I think I've seen and comes across as being very faithful to movies of the same period.

I think I’m about half way through MG on the Legacy Collection. Would like to go back to it but I’ve resigned it to a very rainy/snowy day type affair.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
In somewhat related news the PC versions of Metal Gear, Metal Gear Solid and MGS2: Substance have all been added to GOG.
Wondering if it's better to emulate MGS and MGS2 (I still have MGS2 for PS2 and PS3), since these are the really old PC ports. How would you perform the pressure sensitive face button functions of MGS2?

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Wondering if it's better to emulate MGS and MGS2 (I still have MGS2 for PS2 and PS3), since these are the really old PC ports. How would you perform the pressure sensitive face button functions of MGS2?
I believe the Xbox 360 version of the HD Collection used LS/L3 to hold up a gun without firing. I'd expect them to implement at least that, and probably a separate keyboard key for it too.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I think I’m about half way through MG on the Legacy Collection. Would like to go back to it but I’ve resigned it to a very rainy/snowy day type affair.
If you don't feel like finishing it, be assured you miss pretty much nothing of story or character value by quitting (and the metal gear fight is a joke that relies on a very....gamey....gimmick). There are a few moments that were clever in 1987, significantly less so after MGS2 did the exact thing years later. Notably When your boss starts fucking with you over the radio

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
I don't think MG2 was ever on PC, so it doesn't surprise me at all. MG1 was on MS-DOS. I'm assuming this is that version. GOG patches old PC games. They almost never do more than that.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
If they remade them and put them on PC I’d be interested. I’ve only ever played MGSV and I liked it a lot.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I don't think MG2 was ever on PC, so it doesn't surprise me at all. MG1 was on MS-DOS. I'm assuming this is that version. GOG patches old PC games. They almost never do more than that.
They can use emulation. That didn't stop them when putting MG1 & 2 on MGS3S. It should be super easy for them.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
They can use emulation. That didn't stop them when putting MG1 & 2 on MGS3S. It should be super easy for them.

IIRC both MG and MG2: Solid Snake were made for the MSX2 and later ported to other systems. Guessing Konami’s just being stingy, since if one is possible then the other should be as well.

Shadyside

Bad Hombre
Legacy
Aug 20, 2020
On top of your sister
Country
Republic of Texas
I really wish they would have made the original concept of the Raiden game where he was forced to turn into a cyborg. And possibly remake the original metal gear games with rookie solid snake. I wanted to see more of his friendship with Grey Fox and fighting actual child soldiers.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Didn't stop Konami. GOG doesn't do that. They update old PC games. I'm having trouble thinking of an old console game they actually ported or emulated. Even Rogue Squadron and Episode I Racer were based off very old PC versions. Surely some of those console devs would love the free money.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Didn't stop Konami. GOG doesn't do that. They update old PC games. I'm having trouble thinking of an old console game they actually ported or emulated. Even Rogue Squadron and Episode I Racer were based off very old PC versions. Surely some of those console devs would love the free money.
A lot of the Sega Genesis games on GOG are emulation based. So GOG should not have any qualms doing the same thing for metal gear.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I really wish they would have made the original concept of the Raiden game where he was forced to turn into a cyborg. And possibly remake the original metal gear games with rookie solid snake. I wanted to see more of his friendship with Grey Fox and fighting actual child soldiers.
While it would be cool, the problem is that MG and MG2 are very similar in structure to the point MG2 feels like an enhanced remake by itself and then MGS feels likes an enhanced remake of that. And then in MGS2 he made the whole thing explicit and turned into something really meta(Big Shell was all a recreation of Shadow Moses ).

It's one of the weird things that playing the series back to back in a short time makes you realize.

So if you were to remake Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2, you've have to do some clever adaptation to NOT make them feel like you were just playing the same game twice. Also you'd have to make sure it didn't just feel like playing Metal Gear Solid again. Arguably, you'd combine elements from MG1 and MG2(mostly MG2) and call it "Metal Gear Zero" or "Metal Gear Origins" or whatever 5 rotating names marketing picked out of a hat that day before taking a 9 am lunch. I'm pretty sure nobody would care as long as it were done right. Somehow a doubt there's a massive group of Metal Gear Purists who would be really mad if the two games most people never played got turned into one game, especially considering Metal Gear has a plot you can describe in a paragraph and no characters/dialogue worth mentioning(other then the bits where Big Boss starts fucking with Snake over the radio).

Of course, the big wrinkle in this is that Komani would be doing this and that's the company who had the FOX engine in hand at the end of MGSV, and what did they do with it, a shitty zombie game nobody fucking liked with "Metal Gear" Slapped on it. I mean, Christ, if that isn't a waste of resources I don't know what is.

A lot of the Sega Genesis games on GOG are emulation based. So GOG should not have any qualms doing the same thing for metal gear.
Nintendo had MSX2 emulated games on it's Wii Virtual console, apparently. It was Japan only but apparently it's not that hard to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan