Streets of Rage 4 Thread.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Another thing I wanted to add. I'm surprised people are not talking about this. The game has dynamic music. How has no one pointed this out yet? I've noticed a little my first playthrough, then paid more attention during my second playthrough with of the game.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I got all of the unlockable characters. Another thing I learned. You wanna know how to get high scores and S ranks? It's right in front of you: don't let your big combos break. What I mean is don't get hit. Your scored based on how many hits you make, how much damage (weapons become a huge help in this regard) without taking damage. If you're at a high enough combo score, some times it's best to let the score settle so it can add to your overall average. Not unless you want to risk losing it.

EDIT: Oh, and saving your stars multiplies your score hard, so hold on them. Easier said than done on the harder difficulties.

Last edited:

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
Another thing I wanted to add. I'm surprised people are not talking about this. The game has dynamic music. How has no one pointed this out yet? I've noticed a little my first playthrough, the paid more attention during my second playthrough with of the game.
Really? I haven't really noticed but I'll have to pay extra attention the next time I play the game.

Does it change depending on how well you do with the combo counter or something? Because I'm abysmal at not getting hit.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Does it change depending on how well you do with the combo counter or something? Because I'm abysmal at not getting hit.
Sometimes little beats are added when you do enough hits (or use Cherry's Neutral Blitz which distorts the music), but it happens more so when a scene transitions (the crashed car in stage 1), when encountering a mini boss/elite mook and finishing them, or during most bosses change of phases (the part where the screen goes dark and they get pissed).

EDIT: I got the Out Of This World Combo trophy earlier tonight. I got it by using Cherry.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I've actually completed it once all through with Axel now and I have to say I really like it now. Can't wait to get good enough to do it on arcade mode. I like the unlockables and secret levels. Nice touch. Lots of love went into this. I don't think the music is as good as the originals but there are a couple of standouts. The music in the level 8 lift kind of reminds me of Stranger Things.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I don't think the music is as good as the originals but there are a couple of standouts.
I disagree, the tracks are just as great as 1 & 2. 4's is definitely better than 3, and I like most of the third game's ost.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I disagree, the tracks are just as great as 1 & 2. 4's is definitely better than 3, and I like most of the third game's ost.
I prefer it to 3 and I can get on board with 2 but definitely not 1. I love 1's soundtracks. That's one of my favourites.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Floyd is awesome. Just did a playthrough of him. I love the double grab; a move that does so much damage. His gotcha is a really good gap closer. He's now one of my favorite grappler characters. Odd considering he does not have any wrestling moves.

Last edited:

Smithnikov

Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Floyd is awesome. Just did a playthrough of him. I love the double grab; a move that does so much damage. His gotcha is a really good gap closer. He's now one of my favorite grappler characters. Odd considering he foes not have any wrestling moves.
Well, he's not really a trained fighter. ;) So wouldn't expect him to have anything fancy.

But aye, he's still a blast to play, easily as fun as I had with Max back in the day but with a slightly bigger difficulty curve. Now if only I could get a mod to add
every time he lands an arm extension grab.

Smithnikov

Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Oh, and Le Cartel (Mother Russia Bleeds) being Streets of Rage fans naturally had to throw some shade....

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Well, he's not really a trained fighter. ;) So wouldn't expect him to have anything fancy.
I know. It' was just awkward, at first, after playing so many brawlers where the grapple guy/gal was a mighty glacier (sometimes a lighting bruiser) and busted out the wresting moves. You become trained to that shit. 😮 The only other mighty glacier that I know that lacks wrestling moves are Donatello (TMNT and you already the know the answer to that) and Alien Green (from Battle Circuit). The latter has a pile driver, but that it. He's not exactly a trained fighter either, though he's way more skilled compared Floyd.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Here is a tech detail from DF for those interested. I know I am.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I did my first co-op session, and it mostly well. The connection would stutter a bit, but worked for the most part. There was also a weird glitch where the music would not play in stage 6. We played on Hardest mode. I am surprised there is no co-op trophy/achievement, but I get why and love them for it. I was Adam and the other player (1) was Blaze. There are so many combo exploits you can do in co-op. Especially when you get a enemy or boss in a corner. The game goes have infinite combos, if you know what you're doing. No different from the older games.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Frame Trap: Episode 106, "Streets of Hype". Topic on SOR4 starts at 6:14 for those that are interested.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I got the 100 Yen Trophy by beating Arcade mode on Hard, using Blaze. Surprisingly, I only loss one life. Another helpful hint: every character has a charge attack by holding down the attack button. When your character briefly flashes yellow, release the button, and if the attack connects, you can launch enemy and have them wall bounce if neard the edge of a screen or vertical surface. This opens up even more juggles and combo possibilities. I am starting to love the combo system, when I figure out the hidden mechanics more. This games is almost like a 2D Devil May Cry in a weird way. Ironic, I must say.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Finally got the all S ranks on hard mode or higher trophy (called Maniac)! Stage 9 is the worst with this!

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Finally beat boss rush mode! First time with Adam, got the S rank with a score of 48,571 and finished in 20:08.