PS5 Teardown: Up Close and Personal

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
i saw xbox bragging on twitter about how easy it is to add more storage to the Xbox Series X and someone pointed out that it is only easy if you buy an xbox brand storage upgrade. While PS5 might be a pain in the ass, you can at least use any compatable SSD.

Reactions: gorfias

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
i saw xbox bragging on twitter about how easy it is to add more storage to the Xbox Series X and someone pointed out that it is only easy if you buy an xbox brand storage upgrade. While PS5 might be a pain in the ass, you can at least use any compatable SSD.

It'll also likely be more X-pensive being proprietary. It's not that bad to pop a faceplate off and deal with a couple screws. Basically like replacing a toy's battery or something. I'll take much quicker load times all the time any day over saving a minute or two adding storage once or twice over the life of a console. I also think it's cool it'll have dust catchers that can be emptied. Gotta keep that massive heat sink clean!

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA

I don't speak Japanese!!!!
When he lies it on its side, is that just so he can take it apart, or can one choose to have it lie down horizontal?
Part of me wants it just because it is as big as luggage! Another part of me fears it for the same reason. No way the missus lets me put that in our living room.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I don't speak Japanese!!!!
When he lies it on its side, is that just so he can take it apart, or can one choose to have it lie down horizontal?
Part of me wants it just because it is as big as luggage! Another part of me fears it for the same reason. No way the missus lets me put that in our living room.

The stand allows it to rest either way.

Every console since PS2 has had the option, and it looks like the face plates are designed to accommodate it.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I is a sexy looking machine. I mean always thought it was a nice looking system and looks very futuristic to symbolize the next gen. I can't wait.
They seem to have put a lot of thought into form and function. Sure, you have to remove a plate and a couple screws for extra storage, but it seems to be more to preserve the function aspect in terms of performance.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
They seem to have put a lot of thought into form and function. Sure, you have to remove a plate and a couple screws for extra storage, but it seems to be more to preserve the function aspect in terms of performance.
And people act like changing storage should be as simple as a USB drive or something. Don't pretend you wouldn't have to bust out a screwdriver to replace the Drive in your desktop.

The Ps5 looks like one of the easiest storage swapable drives in console history, and top that off with the freedom of brand choice.

I wonder how much those Xbox Brand Drives are gonna cost.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
And people act like changing storage should be as simple as a USB drive or something. Don't pretend you wouldn't have to bust out a screwdriver to replace the Drive in your desktop.

The Ps5 looks like one of the easiest storage swapable drives in console history, and top that off with the freedom of brand choice.

I wonder how much those Xbox Brand Drives are gonna cost.
It may be convenient to plug something into the back on the Xbox but I was also thinking, that sure seems vulnerable for something that’s supposed to be more or less permanent extra storage. What about someone like a young kid or brother being a dick and tampering with it. It’s so easy to remove and get damaged or misplaced. Not sure how much more expensive they will be than USB stick, but to me just the data alone even on something like that is valuable enough to warrant more secure placement with some modicum of protection.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
You actually wouldn't, most PC cases are screwless now, or use thumb screws, but I take your point.

Reactions: CriticalGaming

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
No way the missus lets me put that in our living room.
It sounds unhealthy to me that your wife doesn't let you use your house however you want.

Then again, I'm not married.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Unless you’re using M.2 form factor storage. You definitely need to deal with screws there.
Yes, very tiny annoying screws. The point still stands that opening a PC is a hell of a lot easier than opening a console.

I cleaned my PS4 a couple of weeks ago and had to buy a new screwdriver to do it because who the hell has torx security bits?

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Yes, very tiny annoying screws. The point still stands that opening a PC is a hell of a lot easier than opening a console.

I cleaned my PS4 a couple of weeks ago and had to buy a new screwdriver to do it because who the hell has torx security bits?
Oh I don’t disagree at all. I could remove my game library drive without use of a single tool If needs be. My case is a touch old so there’s some mod cons it doesn’t have but your point is accurate none the less.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
It sounds unhealthy to me that your wife doesn't let you use your house however you want.

Then again, I'm not married.
LOL. Marriage is about cooperation. She wants things, you cooperate with her. :)
I do have my man cave to which I can retreat. After that tear down I do feel the need to get one of those into my house somewhere!

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
You actually wouldn't, most PC cases are screwless now, or use thumb screws, but I take your point.
Yeah, and hard drives are usually mounted with sliding or clip-on brackets, not screws.

I like how easy it seems to clean out the dust.