I've changed my mind; Baldur's Gate 3 is NOT worth the current asking price.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I'm definitely waiting on this, got too many other things to play and waiting for the full and improved experience is worth it.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Honestly as I see it it's for getting if you're pretty damn sure you'd want it later anyways but want a bit of a sneak peek now.

I find it a rather painful one though due to how slow it runs for me sometimes. But I don't mind because I got it for the end product and rn I'm just getting a sneak peek

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I haven't touched a Balder's Gate game in the ages. I'm not surprised in the slightest by this. I do thank you for spreading the word.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
I haven't touched a Balder's Gate game in the ages. I'm not surprised in the slightest by this. I do thank you for spreading the word.
This is mostly about it being an early access game I feel not exactly it being a Baldur's Gate game

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Funny enough when I mentioned size on Reddit everyone downvotes my comments. Then Youtubers started saying size will be the biggest problem of the next Gaming era.

Hopefully, SSD prices go down.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Funny enough when I mentioned size on Reddit everyone downvotes my comments. Then Youtubers started saying size will be the biggest problem of the next Gaming era.

Hopefully, SSD prices go down.
Kinda shocked this is controversial. As posted above, we have install sizes well over 100 GB at this point and it's honestly kinda nuts. When COD of all things requires 200 GB you know something's off the rails. Yeah, I know it's pretty but it's a 7 hour campaign and a buncha MP maps.

And having a console doesn't migitage this much because now consoles require large ass installs as well.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Kinda shocked this is controversial. As posted above, we have install sizes well over 100 GB at this point and it's honestly kinda nuts. When COD of all things requires 200 GB you know something's off the rails. Yeah, I know it's pretty but it's a 7 hour campaign and a buncha MP maps.

And having a console doesn't migitage this much because now consoles require large ass installs as well.
I dare you to go to the PS5 subreddit, and mention this because they were all saying that next-gen tech was going to reduce install sizes, then they downvote you.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I dare you to go to the PS5 subreddit, and mention this because they were all saying that next-gen tech was going to reduce install sizes, then they downvote you.
Oh, I've seen some of the reddit dogpiles. I occasionally check it out for whatever game I'm playing at the time but back when I way playing Assasins Creed: Odyssey I would go there and find people having vicious wars over the new AC games vs the old AC games and dogpiling each other over saying they like better(liking Odyessy at all apparently was heretical to some people).

Seriously guys, it's not that fucking important.

Not that that aren't some great threads on reddit but damn if there aren't some trash fires.

Reactions: BrawlMan

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
(liking Odyessy at all apparently was heretical to some people).

I'm curious...well honestly not THAT curious, but mildly curious what about Odyssey is heretical. I mean the franchise has been fairly batshit since the Desmond arc. I mean any setting with precursor ancient architects as the underlying story plot, is inherently batshit and so scifi as to be hilarious (which I'm fine with), but I mean, Origins and Odyssey really didn't do too much that was "off the rails."

Now if they feel it's heretical because of the game design, compared to the older titles, eh, that I can at least understand, as the gameplay and structure have drastically changed from the original style. I personally prefer the older game style, where it's more focused on stealth and tailing your target, but it is fun to combat teleport around the map and shank bitches in the back 4-5 at a time in Odyssey.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Oh, I've seen some of the reddit dogpiles. I occasionally check it out for whatever game I'm playing at the time but back when I way playing Assasins Creed: Odyssey I would go there and find people having vicious wars over the new AC games vs the old AC games and dogpiling each other over saying they like better(liking Odyessy at all apparently was heretical to some people).

Not that that aren't some great threads on reddit but damn if there aren't some trash fires.
That's what happens when you live in an echo chamber where you refuse to hear the truth and only listen to lies, half truths, or delusions. You should see the DMC 5 Reddit forum. A few months after the game came out, everything was fine at first, but then you got downvoted for pointing out flaws in the game mechanics or plot. Or if you constantly didn't post stupid memes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
That's what happens when you live in an echo chamber where you refuse to hear the truth and only listen to lies, half truths, or delusions. You should see the DMC 5 Reddit forum a few months after the game came out period everything was fine at first and then you get downvoted for pointing out flaws in the game mechanics or plot. Or if you constantly didn't post stupid memes.
Yeah I've never understood the binary world of fandom, how if you like something, it must have zero flaws, and if you hate something, everyone else MUST hate it too, and it has zero redeeming qualities. Like I remember on Many a True Nerds' "Fallout 3 is Better Than You Think" video, I recall seeing a comment where somebody said "Not watching a 1.5 hour shit video from some FO 3 fanboy who thinks it's better than New Vegas." And it just made me laugh, because, I mean it makes ZERO sense in context. MATN LOVES New Vegas. It is literally his favorite game of all time on a personal level (which he said multiple times in that video and others, seriously he doesn't shut up about his love of NV), and also considers it one of the greatest games ever made. And he's not exaggerating there, he thinks, given the time constraints and other factors, that what they accomplished with NV is nothing short of mindblowing. Now, I personally don't agree, and find NV boring as hell, but the fact that a poster said THAT on one of his videos, one that didn't declare it's the greatest Fallout game of all, just that it's better than you think. (the fucking title). But hey, nuance is lost in this age, and in particular on the internet. It doesn't occur to that guy, that someone can love NV, AND think that FO 3 is a fun game that has some good traits to it, but think NV is the better game. Nope, it's all or nothing.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I'm curious...well honestly not THAT curious, but mildly curious what about Odyssey is heretical. I mean the franchise has been fairly batshit since the Desmond arc. I mean any setting with precursor ancient architects as the underlying story plot, is inherently batshit and so scifi as to be hilarious (which I'm fine with), but I mean, Origins and Odyssey really didn't do too much that was "off the rails."

Now if they feel it's heretical because of the game design, compared to the older titles, eh, that I can at least understand, as the gameplay and structure have drastically changed from the original style. I personally prefer the older game style, where it's more focused on stealth and tailing your target, but it is fun to combat teleport around the map and shank bitches in the back 4-5 at a time in Odyssey.
Mostly the new game style was the problem. And I get why people wouldn't like it.

I grew up on the older style as well and I was fond of it(I feel like I'm one of the few people who likes AC3, despite how rushed and incomplete it feels at times), but people were getting tired of it and I totally get why they did something different and took a ton of cues from the Witcher 3(as well as some combat pointers from Souls).

Other notable criticisms:
-The branching dialogue(which means almost nothing except for 5% when it makes any kind of difference)
-It screws up the lore(It was a mess long before Odyssey and I could write a damn book on that)
-You don't play as an assassin(You're functionally an assassin even if the brotherhood doesn't exist yet. The same criticism could be applied to Black Flag and people don't seem to have the vitoral for it).
-The 2nd DLC are matrix simulation greek mythology wank.(They are but not everyone sees that as being a bad thing).
-Kassandra/Alexios being exclusive protagonist/antagonist depending on what choice you made at the start and how the game is the same regardless of which you chose(which has some merit because Kassandra probably wouldn't be treated the same as Alexios).
-That bit in the 1st DLC involving the PC becoming a father/mother, for both narrative reasons and the far more controversial LGBT issue.
-Oh, and Layla becoming increasingly unlikable as the story goes on, especially in the Fate of Atlantis DLC.

The game is flawed and while I enjoyed my time with it, there's a bunch of things that could have been done far, far better. It just seems amount of fights people are willing to get into over this stuff far exceeds its actual importance.

Last edited:

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Mostly the new game style was the problem. And I get why people wouldn't like it.

I grew up on the older style as well and I was fond of it(I feel like I'm one of the few people who likes AC3, despite how rushed and incomplete it feels at times), but people were getting tired of it and I totally get why they did something different and took a ton of cues from the Witcher 3(as well as some combat pointers from Souls).

Other notable criticisms:
-The branching dialogue(which means almost nothing except for 5% when it makes any kind of difference)
-It screws up the lore(It was a mess long before Odyssey and I could write a damn book on that)
Yeah see, the lore part is where I kind of laugh, as the lore is insane from the start, so I don't really think Origin/Od really changed much of note. They just went more mythological with stuff.

-The 2nd DLC are matrix simulation greek mythology wank.(They are but not everyone sees that as being a bad thing).
Yeah, the DLC matrix stuff is where I personally lost all interest in the game. I just...had zero investment in what was going on. I was playing a game, about a woman, playing a simulation of a memory, of a guy/girl from the past, who was playing a simulation of a past memory, of a precursor alien thingy. I mean, Inception much? How much deeper are we fucking going? xD

-That bit in the 1st DLC involving the PC becoming a father/mother, for both narrative reasons and the far more controversial LGBT issue.
I really didn't see an issue with it. I mean, ok so this is just my take on how life as an LGBTQ would actually play out in ancient greece but, culturally there wasn't much issue with it, at least in the AC setting. And from little bits I've gleaned on the subject IRL, back then, depending on the society, non-hetero relationships weren't all that big of a deal. So, being LGBTQ doesn't exclude you from wanting children, but it's pre IVF, so, there had to be some kind of plan. It seemed reasonable to me, that say, a lesbian, who wanted a child, would have to come to some kind of agreement with a dude to have the baby, even if it is just a mutual exchange or something. And I played my Alexios as being omnisexual, just for fun. Whenever the option to have sex with someone/thing came up, Alexios said yes. It was a very amusing playthrough for me and my wife. So, eh, I dunno, I can see it being frustrating, but given the structure of it, and how many other people you could bang prior to that DLC, the idea that the female character became interested in a guy and had a kid? *shrugs* Eh. It's a clunky setup yes, but like I said, LGBTQ who wanted families/children back then, had to make some kind of plan.

The game is flawed and while I enjoyed my time with it, there's a bunch of things that could have been done far, far better. It just seems amount of fights people are willing to get into over this stuff far exceeds its actual importance.
Hence the problem of attributing a large portion of self identity and importance to anything as nebulous as a maketable franchise.