Not open for further replies.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
There is nothing wrong trying to gain the respect of Ebert as futile as it was as he held his belief that games wasn't art until his death as it inspired indie devs to aim higher with games like Neofeud, This is the Police and Actual Sunlight.
Yeah, you have fun with that; no shits given. At the end of the day, he just another guy with an opinion. Nothing more, nothing less. I did not like Siskel either. May they rest in peace. There were plenty of games that have and had art long before that opinionated jerk off felt like he had something important to say. Or the indie titles for that matter, as much as I like and respect them. From 8 bit, arcade, 16 bit, 32/64 bit, and beyond. Never forget where you came from. I did not, but you're making the same mistakes as those know-it-alls. Afraid that someone will judge you beause of things you liked, used to like, or a currently enjoying.

I still remember how I used to put Yakuza on a pedestal but realize how cheesy it was.
That's your fault, not the games. I am not big of a Yakuza person, but like the Mafia games even less. 1 was good for the time, II sucked, and III while better than II, was just an average, run-of-the-mill, open world not setting much apart other than the setting and characters. Yakuza does have character and story depth (more than I found in all of the Mafia games), you just have to look beyond the superficial stuff. Once again, your on fault for only looking and having a self serving memory of all the "cheesy" scenes. Team Yakuza knows how to have fun without insulting their audiences. Mad and proper respects to them. They really the only guys left at Sega that puts effort in to their games.

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
That's your fault, not the games. I am not big of a Yakuza person, but like the Mafia games even less. 1 was good for the time, II sucked, and III while better than II, was just an average, run-of-the-mill, open world not setting much apart other than the setting and characters. Yakuza does have character and story depth (more than I found in all of the Mafia games), you just have to look beyond the superficial stuff. Once again, your on fault for only looking and having a self serving memory of all the "cheesy" scenes. Team Yakuza knows how to have fun without insulting their audiences. Mad and proper respects to them. They really the only guys left at Sega that puts effort in to their games.
The thing is outside of the Anecedotal moments, do people really talk about the game anymore? Yakuza's storyline peaked at 2.

The nonsense involving rubber bullets to make sure the protagonists never killed anyone made it quite clear that they don't have the capacity to make crime dramas like Hangar 13 did.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Whenever I play Yakuza games, my eyes just glaze over by the time they've introduced their 20th character and my humble Western brain can't possibly keep all of these people and their relationships straight. I don't know who I am. I don't know why I am here. All I know is that I must punch.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The thing is outside of the Anecedotal moments, do people really talk about the game anymore? Yakuza's storyline peaked at 2.
Does anyone else talk about the Mafia games? Last I checked was back in late 2017. Just because "people" (the entire human population) don't talk about a certain series, does not mean people are not talking about it. There's a new Yakuza (Like A Dragon) coming out that is turn based, and has definitely got those who favor brawlers talking. No one saw the sudden genre shift coming. A turn based RPG with brawler elements and environmental hazards you can use to crush your enemies. There is something interesting and worth investing. A new completely different cast of characters in this new game too, so you don't even have to worry about the older games story.

Mafia's future is uncertain. I hate to say that. What with Hangar 13's massive lay offs, them working with Gearbox for some ports of Borderlands, and other than a remaster for the first Mafia, they are not doing much at the moment. All I know for sure is that Yakuza and it's spiritual successors will move forward and continue to flow. I am happy for the developers and the fans.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Does anyone else talk about the Mafia games? Last I checked was back in late 2017. Just because "people" (the entire human population) don't talk about a certain series, does not mean people are not talking about it. There's a new Yakuza (Like A Dragon) coming out that is turn based, and has definitely got those who favor brawlers talking. No one saw the sudden genre shift coming. A turn based RPG with brawler elements and environmental hazards you can use to crush your enemies. There is something interesting and worth investing. A new completely different cast of characters in this new game too, so you don't even have to worry about the older games story.

Mafia's future is uncertain. I hate to say that. What with Hangar 13's massive lay offs, them working with Gearbox for some ports of Borderlands, and other than a remaster for the first Mafia, they are not doing much at the moment. All I know for sure is that Yakuza and it's spiritual successors will move forward and continue to flow. I am happy for the developers and the fans.
B-Cell sure seems to bring up the mafia games a lot. So maybe he'll buy enough copies to keep the franchise alive.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I think that the Mafia 1 re-make will either make or break both Hangar 13 and the Mafia series. For what it is worth, Mafia II is a good game if you treat it as a linear, story based drama and not an open world game (I enjoyed it much more my second playthrough when I just went for the story and didn't bother with the meager open world).
I know, that is why I said the series future is uncertain. My brother and I did avoid most of the "open world" in II, and I still did not like the story. It just felt like your typical mob story with not much setting apart from the others.

Similarly, Mafia 3 has some really good narrative moments but is mired by its insistence on being an open world game that's afraid of the player being bored, which means the game throws so much faff at you that you get bored.
I already pointed that out.
But fundamentally Mafia and Yakuza are radically different games, both in gameplay (one being TPS the other a brawler) and in narrative (Mafia are serious games about how crime doesn't pay, Yakuza is much more goofball).
For the record, Gyrobot started that with the comparisons. While Yakuza does have goofball moments, in can be serious and be great without going overboard. Mafia, while taken itself more seriously, tends to play things too straight. Mainly the 2nd game suffers from this. Though 3 had a better balance in tone in my opinion.

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
I think that the Mafia 1 re-make will either make or break both Hangar 13 and the Mafia series. For what it is worth, Mafia II is a good game if you treat it as a linear, story based drama and not an open world game (I enjoyed it much more my second playthrough when I just went for the story and didn't bother with the meager open world). Similarly, Mafia 3 has some really good narrative moments but is mired by its insistence on being an open world game that's afraid of the player being bored, which means the game throws so much faff at you that you get bored.

But fundamentally Mafia and Yakuza are radically different games, both in gameplay (one being TPS the other a brawler) and in narrative (Mafia are serious games about how crime doesn't pay, Yakuza is much more goofball). Yakuza has been consistently developed by one studio, while Mafia has only had 3 releases in 18 years and by two different studios (3 if you consider that pretty much no one from the original Illusion Softworks remained with 2K Czech in 2009).
I don't the message about Mafia 2 and 3 is crime doesn't pay so much as the prejudice of society keeps people from living a virtuous life, that no matter how hard they try, because of society valuing hate, greed and other sins. People are forced to suffer or inflict suffering upon others while the good people who can change society end up dead.

Look of how we treat each other. Compassion is a sign of weakness but greed is a virtue. The poor is considered morally corrupt while every excess of the powerful is celebrated. We send kids off to die, for what?! So someone can make a few bucks. (beat) Lincoln was right. He was always right. There ain’t never gonna be another Dr.King or Bobby Kennedy but their will always be another Sal Marcano, another Sammy Robinson... another Lincoln Clay. We are a cruel and wicked people.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

I found this interesting video that just came out.
On one hand he’s got a point, even if it’s beating a dead horse. On the other, kinda going a bit far saying DSP (wondering what the hell it meant until he said it) is better than every game journalist as if they all collectively suck at and have never beat a Dark Souls game.

It’s also funny because I actually posted the article he first referenced in the Current Events forum yesterday.

Lastly, he does a better aristocrat than Jim.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
No, its really not interesting. Its a bunch of old whiny points that were made long ago, I had to check the date of the video since those were all whiny culture warrior bs points I heard back when Darksouls 3 launched. They weren't even good points then. Plus it totally ignores the way the games journalism industry works. Sure anyone can beat these games, but can they beat them in a day or two? Cause journalism/review playing isn't like normal game playing, there are deadlines. Its very different to play something for enjoyment then it is for a review that has to be out at a certain time.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
No, its really not interesting. Its a bunch of old whiny points that were made long ago, I had to check the date of the video since those were all whiny culture warrior bs points I heard back when Darksouls 3 launched. They weren't even good points then. Plus it totally ignores the way the games journalism industry works. Sure anyone can beat these games, but can they beat them in a day or two? Cause journalism/review playing isn't like normal game playing, there are deadlines. Its very different to play something for enjoyment then it is for a review that has to be out at a certain time.
The difference there isn't about reviews though. It's about all the other articles about the games being too hard, and bitching about easy modes as well as other types of articles being written about the series, (and other hard games in general).

Review's I understand the frustration of maybe taking too long to get reviews out. However a simple "Review in progress" article solves the problem. Many review sites also do review in progress article whenever new MMO's come out. So long as you are updating your article everyday, people would still come and click the article.

The other articles don't really have deadlines. And frankly I feel like maybe they are writing these "easy mode" articles because they know it's a ridiculous statement and it drives clicks. The question I have is, I wonder they are writing this crap as some sort of clickbaiting satire or if they really hold these opinions.

One would think you could drive clicks with real news and articles, rather than having to create false outrage with gaming hit pieces. But maybe not. Maybe the business has driven the media into creating an audience out of anger, rather than an audience out of interest.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
The difference there isn't about reviews though. It's about all the other articles about the games being too hard, and bitching about easy modes as well as other types of articles being written about the series, (and other hard games in general).

Review's I understand the frustration of maybe taking too long to get reviews out. However a simple "Review in progress" article solves the problem. Many review sites also do review in progress article whenever new MMO's come out. So long as you are updating your article everyday, people would still come and click the article.

The other articles don't really have deadlines. And frankly I feel like maybe they are writing these "easy mode" articles because they know it's a ridiculous statement and it drives clicks. The question I have is, I wonder they are writing this crap as some sort of clickbaiting satire or if they really hold these opinions.

One would think you could drive clicks with real news and articles, rather than having to create false outrage with gaming hit pieces. But maybe not. Maybe the business has driven the media into creating an audience out of anger, rather than an audience out of interest.
I mean you could make the same argument for a control scheme, the devs made a specific control scheme, who are you to dare to question them and change their scheme, they obviously wanted you to play in a certain way. Its dumb.

Review in progress doesn't get clicks and this is even more complicated if you are on one of the few remaining print publications that has a hard deadline. When a new game comes out of review embargo everyone is going to go to the sites that have reviews to find those out. You miss out on that and you miss out on the revenue from those clicks.

Nope, you really can't drive clicks with real news very well, plus since the media that reports on games has to kinda have a comfortable relationship with publishers or they don't get early review copies and thus miss out on those aforementioned clicks. Its the same for election night coverage. Back in the day the reason why the transition doesn't happen till January is so all the ballots can come in and be counted. But election night coverage at the arbitrary end of voting made for exciting tv that got a lot of eyes. As for the other articles there are always deadlines, if you are on staff then you have a certain amount you have to get out, if you are freelance then you don't get paid till you publish; always deadlines.

You say gaming hit piece but you are linking a journalism hit piece that goes much further then any of those articles about it being a good idea to have an easy mode.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Yeah, screw DSP. He shouldn't even be used as a minimum barrier of entry or low bar. He is so beyond the low bar, it's insulting to actual low bars in the world, because actual low bars can actually be useful. Let it go dude. I don't like game journalist either for the most part, but I'm not going to obsess with them every single day. What are you even on about at this point? It's going to be the same crap over and over again. Some journalist complains about difficulty or lack of, and people overreact on both sides almost every single time. Shouting on Facebook or Twitter or YouTube. It's old and boring.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gyrobot

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Yeah, screw DSP. He shouldn't even be used as a minimum barrier of entry or low bar. He is so beyond the low bar, it's insulting to actual low bars in the world, because actual low bars can actually be useful. Let it go dude. I don't like game journalist either for the most part, but I'm not going to obsess with them every single day. What are you even on about at this point? It's going to be the same crap over and over again. Sme journalist complaints about difficulty or lack of, and people overreact on both sides almost every single time. Shouting on Facebook or Twitter or youtube. It's old and boring.
What kind of attitude is that dude?

Thats like saying talking about crunch is old and boring because it is gonna happen anyway.

That sexual misconduct is old and boring because it just keeps happening.

I mean the whole point of this forum is pointless then isnt it? To talk about games and the world of games is boring because games are just games and nothing will change because we have a good conversation about them on this website.

The idea here is to point out the baloney and hope for a higher standard. Or barring that, point and laugh at how ridiculous journalism has become. And it isnt even limited to games at this point, even mainstream news is woefully ignorant and often hilariously bias just to paint whatever narrative they want.

I just hope for a higher standard you know? Like some sense of self awareness which i suppose wont come from people posting on the Escapist forums, except maybe keeping the Escapist itself sane. Though they arent exactly a news article source site so it isnt a problem really.

I dunno. I saw a video and thought it was kinda funny. Whatever i guess fuck it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
What kind of attitude is that dude?
One that is sick and bored of it. The DSP thing irked me, because DSP shouldn't even be used as an example. He is a garbage human being and scum. There are plenty of gaming journalists with better skills and attitudes compared to him. The only reason he still makes money is because there are so many people that hate him that much or pity him. He deserves neither attention. Zero. Nada. Return to nothingness.

Thats like saying talking about crunch is old and boring because it is gonna happen anyway.

That sexual misconduct is old and boring because it just keeps happening.
The difference being people are being harmed by a huge mile compared to most game journalists. I know game journalists have gotten threats as well for pointing out the truth people don't want to hear, or just asking for an easy mode, but that's on the people acting like assholes to them for doing the right thing or attempting.

The idea here is to point out the baloney and hope for a higher standard. Or barring that, point and laugh at how ridiculous journalism has become. And it isnt even limited to games at this point, even mainstream news is woefully ignorant and often hilariously bias just to paint whatever narrative they want.
No shit on regular media. That is beyond old news.

I just hope for a higher standard you know? Like some sense of self awareness which i suppose wont come from people posting on the Escapist forums, except maybe keeping the Escapist itself sane. Though they arent exactly a news article source site so it isnt a problem really.
Too bad you're dealing with a lot of sensationalists on YouTube and the gaming's medium general. I'm at the point where I know what works for me. Maybe not for everyone else, but I'm just sick and tired of their crap that it's not even worth getting upset over. I know there's certain exceptions out there and I support those that point out abuse in the workplace, but they better get their crap together all the other dip shits. Which they most likely won't. Especially since the gaming industry has a parasitic relationship with games news and journalists.

I dunno. I saw a video and thought it was kinda funny. Whatever i guess fuck it
I'm not. I'm not offended if you find it funny. Nothing against the gentleman talking, but it just seems like another guy ranting about people complaining about a lack of an easy mode. So what? As long as you're having fun with the game that's all that matters.I feel like he's done this before, and it is going to do the same thing in the next time somebody asked for an easier mode. I would have gone dead by this point I've had to worry about every single person that plays on difficulty that I don't or only plays on easy mode. Their copy of the game, their choice. They can play however they want.

But if you find amusement in and the guy's video, whatever. I'm done here.

Last edited:

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I don't give most of those sites clicks. ACG for me.
I find ACG too whiny, I pointed out a dumb joke on one of his vids awhile back and he got super butt hurt over it. I don't even remember the vid, but I give him much less cred after that even though he tends to do pretty good reviews.

I'm not. I'm not offended if you find it funny. Nothing against the gentleman talking, but it just seems like another guy ranting about people complaining about a lack of an easy mode. So what? As long as you're having fun with the game that's all that matters.I feel like he's done this before, and it is going to do the same thing in the next time somebody asked for an easier mode. I would have gone dead by this point I've had to worry about every single person that plays on difficulty that I don't or only plays on easy mode. Their copy of the game, their choice. They can play however they want.
Remember when idiot gamers got super pissed at someone using a cheat to get through Sekiro?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I find ACG too whiny, I pointed out a dumb joke on one of his vids awhile back and he got super butt hurt over it. I don't even remember the vid, but I give him much less cred after that even though he tends to do pretty good reviews.
That does not sound like ACG. So this is surprising. I don't watch every single one of his videos, and everybody has their own complaints, but he is not the most whining person I've ever seen on the internet. Especially when it comes to gaming. See Simmons from YoVideoGames. Sorry that happened to you. I'm not making excuses for the guy, but I am going to assume he was either having a bad day or stress. Let me know if you ever find that video.

Remember when idiot gamers got super pissed at someone using a cheat to get through Sekiro?
I'll say the same thing I did back then: "oh my god, who the hell cares?!". That was my response to those idiots. Y'all got through the game or we're getting through the game fairly, so why does it matter? The person doing the cheating obviously didn't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.