Election results discussion thread (and sadly the inevitable aftermath)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
I mean you know that it's for mail in ballots postmarked before or on election day, not posted days after. I know you know that because you're not stupid. You know there's a difference so why are you pretending that there isn't.
That's a fundamental misunderstanding of the ruling. The ruling is not that the voting process was extended for several days, it is that ballots mailed before the polls closed but delayed at the post office will not be unduly penalized. The ruling actually is quite explicit on that point, noting that if a "preponderance of the evidence demonstrates that it was mailed after Election Day", it is not valid. What the Wisconsin Campaign is allegedly doing is literally a solicitation to commit voter fraud, albeit one that would be difficult to conclusively prove in criminal court because it'd be relatively difficult to prove mens rea.
B...but I thought we need to count every vote, not just every vote that's for my candidate!

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I feel like people are choosing sides the same way they pick a sportsball team.

You know both of these options suck right? Trump is a dipshit, but Biden is just a brainless mouthpiece that'll sign whatever papers the highest bidder wants. Neither are good options and neither will do anything but add to the misery of this country.

Agema

Do everything and feel nothing
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
It just occurred to me how the little photos they use for candidates on the summary tallies should change with the way the race is going. So have like a series of photos, and change them throughout. So it should have started with a photo of Biden looking confident and Trump nervous, through Biden looking pained and Trump gleeful, and end with Biden with a weak, relieve smile, and Trump in the middle of a full-blown tantrum.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Absolutely nothing with Senate and Congress under Rep control
Republicans gained in the house but it is still controlled by Democrats. Were the Senate Democrat (and it isn't) I don't know if Biden would have moved for DC Statehood and to pack the court or not.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008

You know both of these options suck right? Trump is a dipshit, but Biden is just a brainless mouthpiece that'll sign whatever papers the highest bidder wants. Neither are good options and neither will do anything but add to the misery of this country.
Pretty much, we have Donald "Lock them up" Trump on one side and Joe "Shoot'em in the Leg" Biden on the other side.

I'm happier that Biden won in the same way I'd be happier getting a $100,000 medical bill over a $400,000 medical bill. Sure, one is "technically" better but that means jack shit to me when both are going to ruin me...

Especially since the House and Senate are still a clusterfuck so now we get to see them play the "Well Joe Biden WANTED to do XYZ but he couldn't because those MEAN OLD REPUBLICANS wouldn't let him!!!!" card. So super, another 4 years of nothing fundamentally changing and then we start again in 2024...

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
who is a republican
but you're winning! keep at it!

holy hell that's a lot of pent-up anger.
Dems made it so you could count ballots delivered 3 days after election day, so Trump campaign is reminding PA residents to mail in theirs... literally playing the Dem's own game. Or maybe you thought I meant the Dems were cheating, because you thought that article meant that the Reps were cheating? Because that's literally playing by their own rules HOLY SHIT WHAT IS UP WITH YOU GUYS
Hmm, no that's not what they're doing. Democrats made it so ballots mailed in before or on election day, but received afterwards can still be counted. Trump's guy is telling people to mail in ballots now, after election day and the cut off day. To fill out ballots after the election and mail them in, thinking voting and voting count are the same thing, when they're not.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
It just occurred to me how the little photos they use for candidates on the summary tallies should change with the way the race is going. So have like a series of photos, and change them throughout. So it should have started with a photo of Biden looking confident and Trump nervous, through Biden looking pained and Trump gleeful, and end with Biden with a weak, relieve smile, and Trump in the middle of a full-blown tantrum.
giphy.gif

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Then we should also make a thread about "How did Trump's Presidency affect our Country" thread as well. A supporter should make it as well.

It's fine to Predict what Biden could do. What direct he can take our Country. That's well and fine to do. But If the Trump's Presidency thread gets made, then everything should be counted. The things that when are brought up, people don't answer directly. All the things I said. The encouragement Trump has given to these Republican "Bad Actors".
I like the idea. I'll try to get to work on what I'd post ASAP. If no one else does by the time Trump concedes, I'll create one.
BTW: Scary even to me: Trump may try to tie the election up in the courts so long that electors will have to vote without taking disputed states votes into account. I dunno. If that happens, Trump would lose even me.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
B...but I thought we need to count every vote, not just every vote that's for my candidate!
...Every vote for...What are you even on about? This isn't new information, you know. "Ballots will still need to be postmarked on Election Day but can take three days after polls close to arrive at election offices to be counted." It never covered votes that weren't even put in the mailbox until 2 days after election day, and asking people to do so is literally soliciting voter fraud. How is that a controversial or partisan statement?

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
And let's not forget that Gore actually won Florida. But gave up. A good example of things to come with some members of the Democratic Party. That's why I became a Progressive.

Kinda digressing here but... from your article, " First, we know that Gore won Florida in 2000. If a full, fair statewide recount had taken place, he would have become president. " It was Gore's own lawyer that stated that while the recount law held that if a recount occurs, all votes are to be recounted, the judge should read that to mean
"all the votes we want to count." My recollection: they did not want a full recount.

Statistically speaking, a recount should not have a different result than the 1st count. Yet as time progressed, Gore did gain votes, closing, I think 2,500 to 500.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom

A public healthcare option, workplace protections, anti-discrimination legislation, the Paris Agreement, funding for the WHO, etc.

Both options are shit, but to imagine there isn't an enormous gulf between them on the issues above is absurd. And this stuff is goddamn important to a lot of people.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Pretty much, we have Donald "Lock them up" Trump on one side and Joe "Shoot'em in the Leg" Biden on the other side.

I'm happier that Biden won in the same way I'd be happier getting a $100,000 medical bill over a $400,000 medical bill. Sure, one is "technically" better but that means jack shit to me when both are going to ruin me...

Especially since the House and Senate are still a clusterfuck so now we get to see them play the "Well Joe Biden WANTED to do XYZ but he couldn't because those MEAN OLD REPUBLICANS wouldn't let him!!!!" card. So super, another 4 years of nothing fundamentally changing and then we start again in 2024...
I mean, at the end of the day it doesn't really matter what Biden's like, since he likely won't make it through one year before he steps down for Harris to take up the job.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
Status
Not open for further replies.