Election results discussion thread (and sadly the inevitable aftermath)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
A public healthcare option, workplace protections, anti-discrimination legislation, the Paris Agreement, funding for the WHO, etc.

Both options are shit, but to imagine there isn't an enormous gulf between them on the issues above is absurd. And this stuff is goddamn important to a lot of people.
Agreed. It's trendy to give a cynical response to two less-than-ideal candidates, but the fact remains one of our options has proven to be a divisive demagogue that our nation really is better off ousting, and that's assuming the damage he's done is even remotely repairable. Biden might just be yet another "old, white, male politician," but damn it, he's not a destructive, bigoted, sexist, lying megalomaniac.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
One of the biggest takeaways no one is talking about is Georgia is a swing state now. This is politically going to be interesting, Dems will focus more in Georgia and Rep will try and make sure it doesn't flip again

Reactions: ObsidianJones

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Agreed. It's trendy to give a cynical response to two less-than-ideal candidates, but the fact remains one of our options has proven to be a divisive demagogue that our nation really is better off ousting, and that's assuming the damage he's done is even remotely repairable. Biden might just be yet another "old, white, male politician," but damn it, he's not a destructive, bigoted, sexist, lying megalomaniac.
Plus Biden can read! Big plus!

Reactions: Xprimentyl

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Biden might just be yet another "old, white, male politician," but damn it, he's not a destructive, bigoted, sexist, lying megalomaniac.
But... that's what Biden is, quite literally he's a destructive, bigoted, sexist, lying megalomaniac.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
One of the biggest takeaways no one is talking about is Georgia is a swing state now. This is politically going to be interesting, Dems will focus more in Georgia and Rep will try and make sure it doesn't flip again
Don't forget Arizona too (it hasn't finished up yet but it doesn't seem like Trump can make up the difference in time).

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
The battle between Al Gore and Bush in 2000 took 35 days to get a result, so that was a fact I learned today.

Can we just burn the government down and install people who will actually help the citizens instead of lining their own pockets from special interest groups? That would be better I think.
You could start with burning the EC down. That could make things a bit clearer.

Shadyside

Bad Hombre
Legacy
Aug 20, 2020
On top of your sister
Country
Republic of Texas
Nancy and her cronies were too confident in getting a blue wave and a bigger stimulus bill. Now we will probably get an even smaller bill. She should have just gotten the offer instead of taking this gamble.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
But... that's what Biden is, quite literally he's a destructive, bigoted, sexist, lying megalomaniac.
This isn't middle school, "I know you are but what am I" doesn't have power anymore.

Biden probably is sexist, comes with being from that generation. Lying? Maybe? He spins like every politician but I don't recall him ever saying its a sunny day when its raining(which for those who remember was the second lie Trump told in office after his crowd size). Bigoted? Even if he ever was he's been pretty pro-LGBTQXYZ+ for years and is credited as the man who pushed Obama to pursue gay marriage. Destructive? Haven't seen any evidence. He wasn't at his rallies instructing his supporters to "Beat the crap out of them" when referencing Trump supporters. Megalomaniac? Hardly. He didn't even want to run but ran because no one else could beat Trump. Plus in 4 or 8 years I can promise you there won't be a worry that Biden will refuse to concede an election and refuse to leave office.

Just because there are two sides to this race doesn't mean the sides are equal.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Well, thank God he's got a token half Indian, half black female vice president to help mask those sordid facts, huh? I mean, what sense would it make to have someone in the presidency who has no qualms overtly being the embodiment of the worst of American politics, right? Oh wait, the past 4 years happened, didn't they? Shucky-darn.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
I said it when Abrams lost: There will be repercussions. I wasn't taken seriously.

So, look forward the Minority Vote feeling they helped win this election and mobilizing more. Look for Republicans (impervious to the idea of concessions and actually thinking about anyone outside their base) trying to purge more. And look for Democrats actually having to Step the Hell Up or losing their new force that could be the Swing for a while.

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
...Every vote for...What are you even on about? This isn't new information, you know. "Ballots will still need to be postmarked on Election Day but can take three days after polls close to arrive at election offices to be counted." It never covered votes that weren't even put in the mailbox until 2 days after election day, and asking people to do so is literally soliciting voter fraud. How is that a controversial or partisan statement?

OH NO NO NO
What is this, backdating ballots? In MY Pennsylvania ?

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
This isn't middle school, "I know you are but what am I" doesn't have power anymore.

Biden probably is sexist, comes with being from that generation. Lying? Maybe? He spins like every politician but I don't recall him ever saying its a sunny day when its raining(which for those who remember was the second lie Trump told in office after his crowd size). Bigoted? Even if he ever was he's been pretty pro-LGBTQXYZ+ for years and is credited as the man who pushed Obama to pursue gay marriage. Destructive? Haven't seen any evidence. He wasn't at his rallies instructing his supporters to "Beat the crap out of them" when referencing Trump supporters. Megalomaniac? Hardly. He didn't even want to run but ran because no one else could beat Trump. Plus in 4 or 8 years I can promise you there won't be a worry that Biden will refuse to concede an election and refuse to leave office.

Well I mean, sexual assault and rape allegations, stepping down from a previous presidential campaign run over plagiarism (and the continued outright fabrications about his life during this campaign run), the '94 crime bill, the 'racial jungle' remark, drone strikes, "if you don't vote for me, you ain't black!", telling immigration activists to go vote for Trump.

You really are just getting a different, nicer flavor of the same thing.

Well, thank God he's got a token half Indian, half black female vice president to help mask those sordid facts, huh? I mean, what sense would it make to have someone in the presidency who has no qualms overtly being the embodiment of the worst of American politics, right? Oh wait, the past 4 years happened, didn't they? Shucky-darn.
You're saying that as a joke, but if I thought they weren't planning on throwing him out the window to replace him with her that is about how I'd sum up their relationship.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
We are just going to get 4 years of constant gridlock. Thanks to the senate.
Typical American politics; let's just hope the biggest difference is a president who doesn't blatantly incite outrage and violence from his specific constituency he's intentional left ignorant and misled all while claiming to be their messiah.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
We are just going to get 4 years of constant gridlock. Thanks to the senate.
Not really.

34 seats will be up for re-election at 2022. Of those seats, there will be 22 Republican.

That's more than enough that Republicans better start changing their tune and try to reach out to others, not just their base.

Shadyside

Bad Hombre
Legacy
Aug 20, 2020
On top of your sister
Country
Republic of Texas
Not really.

34 seats will be up for re-election at 2022. Of those seats, there will be 22 Republican.

That's more than enough that Republicans better start changing their tune and try to reach out to others, not just their base.
And the Dems better get their act together and convince the public that they are truly on their side.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
And the Dems better get their act together and convince the public that they are truly on their side.
But that's the sad, sad joke here.

The low bar set by the Republicans can be cleared ten fold. And people will just expect more from the Democrats. They always do. Republicans can roll in the mud in their Sunday Best, and the Democrats will be yelled for getting a speck of breakfast that they already cleaned off on their suit.

"Sure, you reinstated Consent Decrees and brought back EPA protections. Great. And what else do you got?"

It would be easier just for Democrats to play the Republican game and just do whatever acceptable equivalent to "Blind Patriotism" the Left will accept as their Marching Dogma.

It might have been 'Being Woke' two years ago. Don't think it will still be now. They didn't harness enough momentum from the Police Brutality Protests, no matter how fetching Pelosi looks in Kente-cloth.

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
Plus in 4 or 8 years I can promise you there won't be a worry that Biden will refuse to concede an election and refuse to leave office.
Moreso that worry isn't there cause there's also not a small chance that Biden will either step down due to age or, uh, die, before his time in the office is over.

He's not the type to cling to the office, i give him that, but even with the access to the best healthcare a person can have, he might not get to be voted out.
Personally i'd bet for no more than a single term.

Fully agreed.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
That's a false equivalency. Joe Biden plagiarizing isn't the same as Trump's life long compulsive lying. Sexual assault and rape allegations are just that, allegations. And before you say "OH but Trump only allegations and words and talking!" yeah no, Trump has already been named in several court cases as needing to testify about his raping. Plus the whole 50+ rides on Epstein's rape plane, which I don't think Biden was on even once.
Racial jungle ≠ "shit hole countries" and multiple lawsuits and settlings for decades of refusing to rent to black tenants.
Not sure where the crime bill fits in with regards to megalomania, but here if you want to know what its actually about:
Drone strikes doesn't mean much, especially considering Trump's threats to nuke the middle east and dropping the largest non-nuclear bomb.
and the telling an immigrant activist to vote for Trump was him literally pointing out the difference between himself and Trump. One wants to deport illegal immigrants, that's Biden. The other wants to kill them, that's Trump.

I get that you don't like Biden, but Fox news talking points aren't real, and thinking they're the same doesn't make it so. Biden isn't a super progressive candidate, sure, but thinking he's a nicer version of Trump is like saying a papercut is a nicer version of being shot in the head point blank with a shotgun. One is several hundred orders of magnitude greater, to the point any comparison is ill-informed.

Reactions: Buyetyen
Status
Not open for further replies.