Tiny, insignificant details in games that really bother you

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Now, time for me to dump on one my of favorite series.

Assassin's Creed
Playing Assassin's Creed II, something that's bugging me is you are an assassin, a sneaky, sneaky killer, but you run around in a really obvious gaudy white cloak that's nothing like what anybody else wears. At least in the first game there were those, I think, unrelated monks who also wore white hoods that you could blend in with. Here Ezio might as well be wearing clown clothes for how well he blends in with a crowd.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Playing Assassin's Creed II, something that's bugging me is you are an assassin, a sneaky, sneaky killer, but you run around in a really obvious gaudy white cloak that's nothing like what anybody else wears. At least in the first game there were those, I think, unrelated monks who also wore white hoods that you could blend in with. Here Ezio might as well be wearing clown clothes for how well he blends in with a crowd.
That's a problem with all the games beyond the first, honestly. I'm sure it's because they wanted to keep the Iconic nature of the hood and such but it's never really justified in game. You're apparently supposed to imagine that nobody else really notices it. I mean, fuck, the assassins proudly wave their symbol around in some of the later games and the rules tend to get stretched really thin at times. Especially the whole "Stay your blade from the flesh of an innocent", which apparently doesn't include collateral damage from Ezio starting a riot, burning down a harbor full of ships, or setting a fire in AN UNDERGROUND CITY. And Connor once ordered part of New York shelled so he could break into a fort to kill one man.

Sorry, the correct answer is "The Animus did it" and/or "HIstory books lied to you".

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I'm playing Breath of the Wild again, this time on Master Mode. And don't you love it when you wanna do a glide from a point that's overlooking some water, and Link does his dive animation instead of the glide. For as practical as Nintendo is with its mechanics this one flourish they decided to indulge in messes up a key mechanic.

Yoshi

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
I kicked Facebook years ago and haven't gone back since.
Just because Facebook is trash doesn't mean it doesn't have it's use's

joining an Animal Crossing themed Facebook group is an easy way to chat with other Animal Crossing players and exchange Dodo codes with players that have good turnip prices so it's an easy way to make yourself a quick profit. i made a $1.5 million bells just last week because of it.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I blame Shakespeare, to be honest. People hear how people talk in Shakespeare plays and decided that was an accurate record of how people actually talked back then because....I realize common conversations weren't really recorded until fairly recently so nobody really knows how people talked day to day but theater tends towards the dramatic while letters tend to be formal.

I've been reading the Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson and I do appreciate how it feels like the character talk like normal people while not making the mistake of sounding too much like something people from our world would say.

I was watching the show Carnivale Row, which takes place in a world not ours but with obvious parallels. So there's a full season taking place in NOT-Victorian London which is fighting the NOT-Crimean War against NOT-Russia and then out of the blue one of the characters mentions the world "Pharaoh". Which is a reference to a very specific ancient earth culture and comes across as Jarring as hell.
Actually, people talked even worse than that. Here's an excerpt from 'Time Travelers Guide to Medieval England.'

"Dame, what hold ye the ell of this cloth? Or what is worth the cloth whole? In short, so to speak, how much the ell?’
Sire, I shall do you to reason; ye shall have it good and cheap.’
Yea, truly. Dame must me win. Take heed what I shall pay.’
Four shillings for the ell, if it please you.’
That were no wisdom. For so much would I have good scarlet.’

‘You are right, if ye may. But I have some which is not of the best which I would not give for seven shillings.’
I you believe well. But this is no such cloth,of so much money, that ye know well!’
Sire, what is it worth?’
Dame, it were worth to me well three shillings.’
That is evil-boden...’
But say certainly how shall I have it without thing to leave?’
I shall give it you a tone word: ye shall pay five shillings, certainly if ye have them for so many ells, for I will abate no thing.’
Dame, then what shall avail long words? "

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
This one might get me some flak, but...

Final Fantasy VII, Tifa's earrings. Why? Just why? She's a damn brawler doing cloak and dagger missions! Why is she wearing dangly earrings while fighting? I know that character design usually treats practicality as an optional feature, but with her as a hand to hand combatant, I shudder to look at those things. They're practically begging to get caught on something and tear her earlobes.

Reactions: BrawlMan

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
This one might get me some flak, but...

Final Fantasy VII, Tifa's earrings. Why? Just why? She's a damn brawler doing cloak and dagger missions! Why is she wearing dangly earrings while fighting? I know that character design usually treats practicality as an optional feature, but with her as a hand to hand combatant, I shudder to look at those things. They're practically begging to get caught on something and tear her earlobes.
Well, they aren't the only... dangly things on her person, if you know what I mean.

fOx

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2017
Country
United States
Doesn't Tom Nook have a stranglehold over the economy in these games? From what I've read, you pretty much start each game as an indentured servant(which is basically a slightly nicer form of slavery) to him until you can eventually work off your debt, upon which he gladly piles on more debt.
Hey man, Tom Nook doesn't even charge interest. You show me someone willing to finance a house at 0% interest.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Hey man, Tom Nook doesn't even charge interest. You show me someone willing to finance a house at 0% interest.
Yeah, he's less a financier and more an independently wealthy house builder who doesn't really need you to pay him, but if you do he'll build you more stuff

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Hey, speaking of FF7R, I know that everybody is freakishly strong, based on random dudes picking up steel I-beams, but shouldn't Tifa be, I dunno, chunkier? Like, I'd be getting gumby-spine uncanny valley during cutscenes.

And then Tifa has problems lifting up other characters when they're dangling off ledges. How much does Cloud weigh?

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Last edited:

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Nolan North's "cockney" accent is bloody awful. Why does Americans think it's worth paying for? Batman and those Lord of the rings: shadow of whatever games really push it a lot. But...like...stop now please? The vowels around the O's especially are grating. Half my family's cockney bred, so I do feel somewhat qualified to voice an insignificant opinion here. As petty as it is, I've turned off those games through sheer annoyance a few times due to incessant dialogue tearing apart their alleged worlds.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Well, they aren't the only... dangly things on her person, if you know what I mean.
Tifa is one of those character designs that fails on most practical senses but in terms of a striking design with memorable features and an iconic silhouette is an utter triumph. And the obvious reference you're making aside, for a close up brawler she's got pretty long hair too.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Tifa is one of those character designs that fails on most practical senses but in terms of a striking design with memorable features and an iconic silhouette is an utter triumph. And the obvious reference you're making aside, for a close up brawler she's got pretty long hair too.
I agree that a lot of the Final Fantasy 7 cast are like that, but in the original game, as distinctive as his appearance is, Barret is way too much a 'stereotypical black guy' through a Japanese lens to really be comfortable with. He's a great character, but his first impression's not great. I like his Remake design a lot better.

Speaking of Final Fantasy 7, I got sick of the Highwind's theme after about ten minutes, and considering how often you're flying around in it, that's inexcusable. Let me listen to the overworld theme more!

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
What game? So I can actively avoid it... -.-
Well, I believed it wasn't an element anyone else cared about, but if that's really not the case; the Arkham series with the Penguin/Cobblepot character and Shadow of Mordor series with all the Orcs, the latter being most niggling because the accent is literally everywhere you go on each Orc-ridden map. 😔

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Well, I believed it wasn't an element anyone else cared about, but if that's really not the case; the Arkham series with the Penguin/Cobblepot character and Shadow of Mordor series with all the Orcs, the latter being most niggling because the accent is literally everywhere you go on each Orc-ridden map. 😔
Really? That's Nolan North?! Shit, I can't look at Shadow of Mordor the same way now. I liked the game said accents notwithstanding.

That's one thing though, why are Orcs/Goblins always associated with being Cockney in these franchises, or can we blame this on Games Workshop?!

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Really? That's Nolan North?! Shit, I can't look at Shadow of Mordor the same way now. I liked the game said accents notwithstanding.

That's one thing though, why are Orcs/Goblins always associated with being Cockney in these franchises, or can we blame this on Games Workshop?!
That's a him! And yeah, I assumed the accent must be sounding close enough to not draw negative attention for most people and for him to keep getting paid to more of it. But certain vowels are poorly confused with other Brit accents.

Would be nice to blame on Workshop. Though the source of the Orc/cockney correlation might be from the Jackson film's, but they may have been established further back than that. I'd imagine there may be cultural stereotypes aiding it, plus it generally sounds aggressive and grubby i suppose. Am trying to imagine them with French accents instead now.

Reactions: SckizoBoy

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I know he's a famous name and voice, but really? I know there are only 12 British actors but at least one of them had to be available. Robin Atkin Downes, for example, who is both British, did the British voice in Saints Row and is good at doing American Accents as well(He was Kaz Miller in MGS: Peace Walker and MGSV).