Tiny, insignificant details in games that really bother you

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Knew it. I'll just stick with Promare when it comes in the mail this week. It has a similar premise like Fireforce, but does its own thing.
I do really want to see that. Trigger tends to be amazing at over the top and doing it just right. If you like anime like that you should check out Redline if you haven't already.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I do really want to see that. Trigger tends to be amazing at over the top and doing it just right. If you like anime like that you should check out Redline if you haven't already.

Saw it on Blu-ray back in 2018. Amazing movie. First time I saw the trailer was on my Battle Royale DVD. Always meant to pick up a copy but kept forgetting about it. Or putting it off.

Last edited:

Burnhardt

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 13, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
FFVII remake.

When you see characters actually holding materia, its about the size of Barrett's fist. In weapons and armour its smaller than a golf ball.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Saw it on Blu-ray back in 2018. Amazing movie. First time I saw the trailer was on my Battle Royale DVD. Always meant to pick up a copy but kept forgetting about it. Or putting it off.
Yeah, its fantastic, I always have to pimp it whenever there is an anime thing.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
That's because female characters in computer games (and before them, comics) have always been envisaged in substantial part as wank fantasies for adolescent males. Let's not pretend there's any other reason. Sure, the creators let female characters be fighters so they could be useful, but they were damned if they were going to let that get in the way of them being hot.
On a related note, I know it's a trope, but the whole Skimpy Female Armor issue, where a guy in the same job/class/etc will be wearing full armor, but his female counterpart will be wearing something that is designed to show off the lady's skin/boobs and not to protect jack shit(even if the armor values are the same).

This is less an issue with costumes which don't actually provide any protection(pretty much anything a Jedi wears, because Jedi robes/clothes aren't meant to protect), but generally the same "We want to show off he BEWBS" tends to be in play here.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
So I'm going to grumble a little bit here. AC7 does kind of remind me of one of my pet peeves in games, and that's the poorly justified instant fail criteria. Notably, the time limit where "Oh, time limit hit 0? FAIL!" This is notable int he annihilation missions because most of them don't seem to justify WHY you only have 15 min or whatever to blow up X points worth of stuff and particularly during the Battle for Farbanti. It's presumably the last battle of the war, the big push to take the enemy capital and your big restrict is that you have 15 min to do enough Damage to force a victory and if you don't, everyone turns around and goes home.

Seriously? I mean, I know AC isn't super hard in the military realism department but real life battles on cities have been known to take days, weeks or months even(The Battle of Berlin took 2 weeks of heavy block by block fighting and that was when Germany was already mostly broken from years of war, and they were drafting kids and the elderly out of sheer desperation for soliders). The mission even has bits where you're asked to provide air support to places where ground troops are overwhelmed, which feels much more organic then "Ah, your 15 min are up. Sorry, guess we'll give up now". Especially listening to the chatter where the enemy goes from "We're driving them back" to "They're overwhelming us! Where's our air support?"

I just feel that they could have given you a less restrictive time limit and your progress hinged on eliminating enemy air cover and breaking enemy lines to allow your ground forces to advance. Kind of an inverse of what you end up doing during the Stonehenge mission.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
So I'm going to grumble a little bit here. AC7 does kind of remind me of one of my pet peeves in games, and that's the poorly justified instant fail criteria. Notably, the time limit where "Oh, time limit hit 0? FAIL!" This is notable int he annihilation missions because most of them don't seem to justify WHY you only have 15 min or whatever to blow up X points worth of stuff and particularly during the Battle for Farbanti. It's presumably the last battle of the war, the big push to take the enemy capital and your big restrict is that you have 15 min to do enough Damage to force a victory and if you don't, everyone turns around and goes home.

Seriously? I mean, I know AC isn't super hard in the military realism department but real life battles on cities have been known to take days, weeks or months even(The Battle of Berlin took 2 weeks of heavy block by block fighting and that was when Germany was already mostly broken from years of war). The game even has bits where you're asked to provide air support to places where ground troops are overwhelmed, which feels much more organic then "Ah, your 15 min are up. Sorry, guess we'll give up now". Especially listening to the chatter where the enemy goes from "We're driving them back" to "They're overwhelming us! Where's our air support?"
To add to that: any game where it's instant game over if one of your party members dies or gets ko'd. The Japanese are more guilty of this than anything. Especially if we're talking RPGs or certain Dynasty Warriors spin-offs.

This phrase is known as We Cannot Go On Without You.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
To add to that: any game where it's instant game over if one of your part members dies or gets ko'd. The Japanese are more guilty of this than anything. Especially if we're talking RPGs or certain Dynasty Warriors spin-offs.

This term is known as We Cannot Go On Without You.
In particular, if your main character gets KOed, it's over. Never mind the 2 or 3 dudes with you who could hypotheically revive you. And FFX is paticulary stupid about this since you can literally swap party memebers out on the fly in battle, but somehow can't help you if your party gets KOed.

May 27, 2020
Excessive finishing moves. It looks really silly in the Arkham games when Batman is doing some overly long finisher and 20 guys are just standing there not attacking.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
To add to that: any game where it's instant game over if one of your party members dies or gets ko'd. The Japanese are more guilty of this than anything. Especially if we're talking RPGs or certain Dynasty Warriors spin-offs.

This phrase is known as We Cannot Go On Without You.
I'd add this gets super-aggravating when said NPC/party member gets killed off in a cutscene right after that part that keeps game-overing you if they die during gameplay.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
So I know Bioshock Infinite has many, many, MANY things that just don't really work, so I'm going to zero in on a small one that makes no sense and feels like a bizzare writing flub.

So around the time the VOX plotline starts to pick up speed, Elizabeth has a line along the lines of "Maybe there will be a revolution, like in Les Miserables". So the problem here is that
1.) The "Revolution" in Les Miserables was more of a riot/revolt
2.) It got outright crushed within a couple days.

Which begs the question: Did Elizabeth only read to the part where the students start the revolt and then put the book down? DId she misremember the fact almost everyone there dies? Does her version of Les Miserables have an alternate ending to that particular plot point, since Columbia exists in an alternate timeline?

I get she's a romantic up until the point she starts losing her shit later in the game, but a romatic would remember the whole Last Stand bit most of all. It baffles me because the barricade scene is perhaps one of the most famous parts of the whole damn story and one of the least likely to flub. To my knowledge(and I've seen quite a few versions, including the musical, and read the book), that scene is in every single one of them and arguably the climax of the damn book. It's also based off a Real event, to boot. So it seems even less likely the writers wouldn't know that either.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Currently playing and enjoying Crackdown 3, but one thing that has bothered me in all 3 titles is the Driving skill. In Crackdown, your agent has 5 skills to upgrade: Agility, Guns, Strength, Explosives and Driving. The first four make total sense as they add to the innate abilities that make up core gameplay. But driving? First off, the driving mechanics SUCK; every car handles like it's weightless on ice. Second and most notable, no objective in the game requires driving at ALL; there's literally never a reason to drive anywhere except to increase the Driving skill. And even then, you have to drive recklessly to earn skill points (drifting, flipping, jumping, etc.,) so driving isn't even practical! Traversing the map with a high agility stat is a large part of the game's appeal; jumping from rooftop to rooftop is a blast, so not only is the driving bad, you'll never want to do it. Yet, despite it's complete pointlessness and impracticality, Driving is one of 5 stats you have to upgrade for a max stat agent.

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
So, this isn't really a tiny detail, but a major part of the game, and it is the fact that roads in racing games are way too big. Look at Need for Speed Heat,
1605145581283.png
or, The Crew,
1605145707061.png

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Seriously, how come this guy always has his hands in his pockets? Why?! Never takes them out once! It's an impractical way to fight.

The second image sumps up my feeling perfectly.​

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
In Assassins Creed: Valhalla Eivor has her weapons on her back over her cloak. When she wants to go stealthy she shrugs really hard and somehow the cloak absorbs her longbow and giant ass two handed sword. It looks weird every time.
I mean, this is sassy's creed, where the main character goes "Sneaky" by pulling a hood over his/her head. Even in eras and cultures where a hood would not be common and thus likely draw more attention.

That they never bother trying to hide the weapons other than hidden blade.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I hate the little walk your character does in games where you're interacting with an object but you need to be in a specific position. Like in Uncharted, you press X, and Drake just kinda slows down and ambles toward his designated spot like a good boy. I don't know why that bothers me so much, its very unreasonable.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Kratos' run in the God of War '18. It makes him look really dorky, both the default run and the sprint. Usually it's not too visable due to the camera being close up, but whenever it's a bit more zoomed out it just really bugs me.