Your Choice for the Next Big Remake?

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
So there’s been talks of either MGS or Silent Hill. Something between Konami and Sony seems to be happening but not officially announced yet. I’d personally prefer the latter, but I think that’ll be more of a reboot/new entry. However, the former would be interesting considering they’d probably want to give it modern controls/3D perspective but would of course also need to keep the original design intact.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I could think of more games if I gave it some thought, but the absolute first thing that came to mind?

Parasite Eve

I mean, I don't think it necessarily needs one. The game is still eminently playable, sound design and music are still fine, and as far as visuals go, they've obviously aged, but imo better than most PS1 games. But I still want one. Might also help wash the taste of The 3rd Birthday out of the mouth of those unfortunate enough to have played it. Something like REmake, upgrading the graphics, but keeping gameplay mostly the same with some tweaks and additions. Tho I'm not opposed to a more extensive RE2make style redesign, so long as it retains the feel of the original.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Beyond? Good? And...Evil?

What do you mean it ain't gonna happen??

Perfect? Dark?

What do you mean fat chance??

Shadowman?

What do you mean hahahaha??

MDK? With the weird alien stuff?

Helloooo?

Why am I talking to myself?

Funny-man.gif

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I want to see a remake of Breath of Fire 2. That game was so awesome, just improve the pixel graphics past snes limits, fix the translation, rebalance the too many monster spawns and you would have a golden game of rpg goodness. Or do a whole new thing and make it super 3d pretty like ff7, although as much as I loves it, I doubt they would make their money back.

Either that or remake FF9.

As for the two listed, I say go with metal gear, I don't think you could remake Silent Hill. Part of the charm and creepiness' is the chunky 3d and low res textures, I think improving those would take away from it.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Can we not have any more remakes? Can we have this time and effort pointed at new ideas? Can we put creativity over easy money? Do I often ask questions I already know the answer to?
Problem is that's assuming anyone left in the games industry is creative, or has new ideas. And I don't really think that's true.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Parasite Eve
This.

A remake of Dino Cris would be nice too. Pop that baby in the RE Engine, make it over-the-shoulder, and add in the game play elements from Dino Crisis 2 and we are great to go.

Problem is that's assuming anyone left in the games industry is creative, or has new ideas. And I don't really think that's true.
Check the indie and AA scene. They always try a mix of the old and new.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
Rival Schools as a fighting game fan. Never got a chance to play that.

Bust a Groove.

No, this Bust a Groove.

And God Hand

Imagine what God Hand could be in the seasoned hands of Platinum...

Can we not have any more remakes? Can we have this time and effort pointed at new ideas? Can we put creativity over easy money? Do I often ask questions I already know the answer to?
I counter this idea with one of actual financial ability to get what I want.

I earned enough money 4 years after the ps1 dropped to get the system.

There are experiences I missed out on, but concessions I don't need to make any more. I couldn't find a copy of Fighting Vipers for PS1 in the section of New York where I lived. There was no amazon. If you had a car, you had more chances, but it was still slim. And no digital download.

What happens if a lot of us liked the ideas of the past, but just didn't have the capability of experiencing them? What sense does it make for a gaming company to have a finished ip that isn't making them money and a public that would be interested, but who have had their tastes and expectations increased with the new power of the consoles we have now?

It's like owning a house that is rotting to the frame work that with a few touches up, you can sell or rent and recoup some money.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

The issue there is that eliminating the option of remakes won’t automatically mean these companies will do something completely new. There are plenty of options and game types out there as it is, and incremental advances are generally a constant. What’s impeding really new ideas are limited human resources and technology to make something approaching revolutionary.

For example, I want a game where every material type interacts with appropriate physics applied, including character models. For example an axe or sword will easily cut through flesh but stop at armor, whereas a heavy hammer could smash through the armor or perhaps eventually break down a door blocking your path. I also want to see more appropriate model damage in action/adventure games instead of mostly relying on a health bar deciding when an enemy is dead.

I’ve posed these ideas in other threads in the past but most responses settled on them not being possible any time soon, if ever.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I say only remake games that had issues and/or great concepts (not executed well) or remake games that were just made at a time that hardware just wasn't there yet (anything before PS2 IMO). If a Metal Gear game was going to get a remake, I'd love it to be the original Metal Gear, not Metal Gear Solid. I wouldn't be against updating JUST the visuals for Metal Gear Solid as the gameplay still holds up today. I wouldn't mind something like Binary Domain getting remade because it could be a really great game if all its issues are fixed.

The issue there is that eliminating the option of remakes won’t automatically mean these companies will do something completely new. There are plenty of options and game types out there as it is, and incremental advances are generally a constant. What’s impeding really new ideas are limited human resources and technology to make something approaching revolutionary.

For example, I want a game where every material type interacts with appropriate physics applied, including character models. For example an axe or sword will easily cut through flesh but stop at armor, whereas a heavy hammer could smash through the armor or perhaps eventually break down a door blocking your path. I also want to see more appropriate model damage in action/adventure games instead of mostly relying on a health bar deciding when an enemy is dead.

I’ve posed these ideas in other threads in the past but most responses settled on them not being possible any time soon, if ever.
It's really just developers being lazy. Your first example about the axe/sword is literally just an if-then-else statement and a feature even NES games could have. The other one about damage to different parts of character models can be achieved as well, Monster Hunter World does this for pretty much all the monsters whether chopping off a tail, or leg damage making them fall over, or head damage knocking them out.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
I've wanted a good dinosaur survival action horror game on a tropical island since I was little. I don't want a straight remake of Dino Crisis. They can keep the basic story, but I think there's a lot of opportunity to make something, overall, better, that isn't limited to a facility again because of graphical limitations. By the way, if Regina doesn't wear a leotard, I'll be disappointed, but I also seriously doubt she will in this woke era.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I've wanted a good dinosaur survival action horror game on a tropical island since I was little. I don't want a straight remake of Dino Crisis. They can keep the basic story, but I think there's a lot of opportunity to make something, overall, better, that isn't limited to a facility again because of graphical limitations. By the way, if Regina doesn't wear a leotard, I'll be disappointed, but I also seriously doubt she will in this woke era.
Are leotards even in fashion anymore? That seems like more of a 90's thing, at least for videogame characters. And they'd probably want to update the look simply due to what was cool 20 years ago not really being cool now. And if Capcom would remake it they'd probably add the classic outfit as a bonus, like with RE2 and RE3 Remake. And funnily enough Claire's classic outfit actually showed a heck of a lot more skin in the remake.

Speaking of Resident Evil remakes... I would want a GOOD remake of RE3. I want a remake that actually gives Racoon City some real breath. I want a Racoon City that is as sprawling as a Dark Souls map, one that takes time and suffering to actually escape. This wouldn't even need to be an RE3 remake though, just give me Resident Evil Dark Souls.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
That has a slim chance of actually happening, Link to the Past.

Ultima, various Might & Magics, Perfect Dark, Final Fantasy 6 or 9. Unreal Tournament all seem decidedly unlikely for on reason or another.

In even more obscure things, Raptor Flight of the Shadows, Commander Keen, or the 2d Duke Nukems. or Command and Conquer : Renegade

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Are leotards even in fashion anymore? That seems like more of a 90's thing, at least for videogame characters. And they'd probably want to update the look simply due to what was cool 20 years ago not really being cool now. And if Capcom would remake it they'd probably add the classic outfit as a bonus, like with RE2 and RE3 Remake. And funnily enough Claire's classic outfit actually showed a heck of a lot more skin in the remake.
Let me guess, modernize means jeans and a tank top, again. Look at RE2, RE3, Control, Tomb Raider, Uncharted 4/The Lost Legacy... It's always jeans and a tank top. How boring. I think RE2 and 3 could have done a better job modernizing the classic outfits for the new graphics. They didn't fit. Actually, they didn't even do it right.

Fixed by modder:

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
While I'm liking many suggestions here and readily admit being guilty of it myself, I feel it's all a little too Sonycentric. Let's give Sega some love too.

Shining Force
Powerslave/Exhumed
Guardian Heroes
Dark Saviour
Panzer Dragoon Saga

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Let me guess, modernize means jeans and a tank top, again. Look at RE2, RE3, Control, Tomb Raider, Uncharted 4/The Lost Legacy... It's always jeans and a tank top. How boring. I think RE2 and 3 could have done a better job modernizing the classic outfits for the new graphics. They didn't fit. Actually, they didn't even do it right.

Fixed by modder:

I don't know if I'd call that fixed, since it just looks like body paint. I would've wanted the black T-shirt, but not when it looks this crummy. And I actually liked Jill's new look, but then I like tank tops. Also, I think Drake was actually wearing khaki pants and one of those long sleeved, button-up T-shirts in UC4. And you can find different outfits in Contol, though I would discribe the default outfit as jeans and a tank top.