The Batman trailer is here

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Batman just needs to be in shape not a beefcake. Muscle also means slower and not necessarily stronger, that is mostly height and bone density. Batman that isn't all indestructible grunting macho but a bit more vulnerable would also make for a much more interesting movie.
Then why are boxers so muscular? Batman has always been very fit.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
They help him. That's it. Talking as if Batman only has to fight lightweights.

Pattison is being a *****.
Most of Batman's enemies are either really poor fighters or not in good enough physical shape to be a threat.

Also, look up what these actors have had to put themselves through in order to reach the shape Hollywood finds desirable. The only thing Patterson is guilty of looking out for his mental and physical health.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
They help him. That's it. Talking as if Batman only has to fight lightweights.

Pattison is being a *****.
There is no amount of cross training that will allow you to out muscle a super being, the shit that Batman is frequently going up against. No amount of protein powder will give him the gains he needs to beat Wonder Woman or Superman, or any of the insane lineup of god-like beings that Batman has somehow been written to have beaten. He beat them with cunning, intelligence, and gadgets. Adding another 10 pounds to his benchpress doesn't do shit.

Now, all that being said, I personally think it's stupid as fuck to assume a non-powered like Batman can beat literal gods with the power to destroy planets, especially when they are shown to be able to react in ways beyond normal human capacity. But, he's a protagonist, so he often is just given Victory Armor in the narrative. But that's a different topic, and it still doesn't mean his weight training is going to make a difference either way.

Bottom line, NOBODY is realistically capable of taking on a dozen dudes at once, in a fight, without cheating. And by cheating I mean being fucking smart and using ambush tactics, weapons, terrain, etc. Which again, has nothing really to do with physical strength.

Reactions: BrawlMan

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Most of Batman's enemies are either really poor fighters or not in good enough physical shape to be a threat.

Also, look up what these actors have had to put themselves through in order to reach the shape Hollywood finds desirable. The only thing Patterson is guilty of looking out for his mental and physical health.
Yeah considering how many times I've seen actors talk about the health issues they had when they were moving from one acting job to another, and the ramifications of the physical part having long lasting effects.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Yeah considering how many times I've seen actors talk about the health issues they had when they were moving from one acting job to another, and the ramifications of the physical part having long lasting effects.
I think Tom Hanks is still suffering from what he put his body through with Cast Away, and that was 20 years ago.

Reactions: happyninja42

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I think Tom Hanks is still suffering from what he put his body through with Cast Away, and that was 20 years ago.
Matt Damon also commented about the drastic weight loss he underwent for the film Courage Under Fire, where he played a heroin addict that was hiding it from the military. And I think shortly after that he was in a role that required him to bulk up, so he had that drastic biological shift to the other extreme, which is never good. I know something similar happened with Christian Bale, pre-Batman. As I recall, his last film pre Batman Begins, was a movie where he plays a drug addict, and he lost a SCARY amount of weight for it, and then turns around and speed bulks. That's just not healthy, and they have no way to know what the next script will be, compared to the last.

So yeah, I'm totally fine with actors not being "accurate" to fictional depictions that aren't feasible for the majority of humanity for an extended length of time. Because unlike comic books, where Bruce can be steroid level jacked for decades, fighting in the equivalent to MMA royal rumbles, and not have any lasting problems, the real actors have to actually LIVE with the ramifications on their bodies.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Matt Damon also commented about the drastic weight loss he underwent for the film Courage Under Fire, where he played a heroin addict that was hiding it from the military. And I think shortly after that he was in a role that required him to bulk up, so he had that drastic biological shift to the other extreme, which is never good. I know something similar happened with Christian Bale, pre-Batman. As I recall, his last film pre Batman Begins, was a movie where he plays a drug addict, and he lost a SCARY amount of weight for it, and then turns around and speed bulks. That's just not healthy, and they have no way to know what the next script will be, compared to the last.

So yeah, I'm totally fine with actors not being "accurate" to fictional depictions that aren't feasible for the majority of humanity for an extended length of time. Because unlike comic books, where Bruce can be steroid level jacked for decades, fighting in the equivalent to MMA royal rumbles, and not have any lasting problems, the real actors have to actually LIVE with the ramifications on their bodies.
The film before Batman was The Machinist for Christian Bale, though he wasn't a drug addict, he was a chronic insomniac dealing with a few mental troubles along the way. I agree with the rest though. 😊

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
The film before Batman was The Machinist for Christian Bale, though he wasn't a drug addict, he was a chronic insomniac dealing with a few mental troubles along the way. I agree with the rest though. 😊
Ah yes, that's the title, thank you. I just remember seeing the still shots of him looking in the mirror being emaciated, and just assumed it was a story about drug abuse.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

As another example, I think Hugh Jackman’s doctor told him if he kept doing his Wolverine routine he was going to run head first into some serious health concerns.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
As another example, I think Hugh Jackman’s doctor told him if he kept doing his Wolverine routine he was going to run head first into some serious health concerns.
Yeah, the water starvation alone is dangerous as fuck, but hey, they've gotta look cut and veiny for their shirtless scenes right? *rolls eyes* It's pretend shit, that's why it's called ACTING, so just fucking ACT like the person on the screen is more fit than they are for whatever irrational metric of "real" you think must be met, and let the real human being stay healthy for fuck's sake.

Now I will say I don't have a problem with them doing at least some exercise to try and get tone or trim or whatever, if the character warrants it. But I'm not their fucking trainer, I'm not going to measure their biceps and call foul if I think it doesn't meet standards for a fictional character's dimensions. Especially when the shit those fictional character's do in the comics are simply impossible for ANY human.

It reminds me of someone bitching about Gal Gadot not being cut enough to be Wonder Woman, and citing that she couldn't lift shit with those arms. And they showed a picture of Superman next to her, being all ripped and cut. And my response was "bit** it's a TANK! NO amount of human muscle capacity allows you to lift that! So it doesn't matter if she's got only slightly toned arms, or is jacked like a Rob Leifeld character, there is no lifting that due to regular muscles! It's weird ass magical comic book shit! They're BOTH equally under-muscled for the job, so just chill out and watch the movie.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Yeah, the water starvation alone is dangerous as fuck, but hey, they've gotta look cut and veiny for their shirtless scenes right? *rolls eyes* It's pretend shit, that's why it's called ACTING, so just fucking ACT like the person on the screen is more fit than they are for whatever irrational metric of "real" you think must be met, and let the real human being stay healthy for fuck's sake.

Now I will say I don't have a problem with them doing at least some exercise to try and get tone or trim or whatever, if the character warrants it. But I'm not their fucking trainer, I'm not going to measure their biceps and call foul if I think it doesn't meet standards for a fictional character's dimensions. Especially when the shit those fictional character's do in the comics are simply impossible for ANY human.

It reminds me of someone bitching about Gal Gadot not being cut enough to be Wonder Woman, and citing that she couldn't lift shit with those arms. And they showed a picture of Superman next to her, being all ripped and cut. And my response was "bit** it's a TANK! NO amount of human muscle capacity allows you to lift that! So it doesn't matter if she's got only slightly toned arms, or is jacked like a Rob Leifeld character, there is no lifting that due to regular muscles! It's weird ass magical comic book shit! They're BOTH equally under-muscled for the job, so just chill out and watch the movie.
I’ll admit I was probably one of those people re: Wonder Woman but it was more out of a desperation for the movie to be good because I adore Wonder Woman. And since she’d been doing, well, all her training is have expected some muscle definition. I ended up loving the movie to death despite that though.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Because you got people who like to hear themselves biatch and sounds smart or act "savy" about "realism" or so dumb shit.

Reactions: happyninja42

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I’ll admit I was probably one of those people re: Wonder Woman but it was more out of a desperation for the movie to be good because I adore Wonder Woman. And since she’d been doing, well, all her training is have expected some muscle definition. I ended up loving the movie to death despite that though.
I don't have a problem with the fictional character being buff, but the reality is that asking an actor, who is NOT actually a magical amazon warrior capable of dead lifting tanks and throwing them the length of a football field, and leaping 300 yards into the sky, and punching holes in walls, to try and train to look like she can...is ultimately futile, because that's not possible. She's actual flesh and blood, and thus limited to the laws of physics and biology, so give the actors a break, because frankly there is no way for them to accurately reflect a humanoid body that could do that, and look even remotely close to human.

If the actor themselves choose to take some training, that's fine, but to demand it of the role, to the point of actually risking their health, and for the fans to vilify them for not living up to their standards, that's where I call bullshit. Like if Gal Gadot decides she wants to actually take some MMA training, and get legit ripped for fighting, and take actual combat training, well that's on her, and I'm fine with it. But I take issue if it's like, in her contract, that she must gain 20lbs of muscle mass in X timeframe, etc etc, because the producers demand it. Sorry no, that's too far in my book.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Yeah, don't agree with any of you. You can put on the muscle in a way that's healthy. Almost anyone can. I'm not asking that the actors look like Greek gods. But to not do ANY fitness? Pattison is being a *****. And yes, Gadot would have been a more impressive Wonder Woman with a bit more muscle.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah, don't agree with any of you. You can put on the muscle in a way that's healthy. Almost anyone can. I'm not asking that the actors look like Greek gods. But to not do ANY fitness? Pattison is being a *****. And yes, Gadot would have been a more impressive Wonder Woman with a bit more muscle.
Congrats, I don't care. And for the record, Gadot more than surpassed my expectations. She did not need to buff herself too much. It is not worth the health risk to get it that fast. Ask my mom. She's been a nurse for 25 years.

Note: Gadot was pregnant at the time of filming Wonder Woman.