Sony neglecting their franchises.

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Nintendo gets flack for neglecting their franchises like F-Zero, but why don't people ***** at Sony, who is arguably even worse? IPs like Ape Escape, Syphon Filter, Parappa the Rapper and Twisted Metal haven't had a proper game in years.

themistermanguy

Nov 22, 2013
Country
United States
They're all guilty of it. Example? Why hasn't Microsoft done anything with their OG Xbox and Xbox 360 IPs? Fuzion Frenzy, Lost Odyssey, Blinx, Quantum Redshift, Shadowrun, Crimson Skies, Project Gotham Racing, half of Rare's stuff, etc. The reality is that it's just not economically feasible to keep every IP active at any given moment, Companies have to consider market conditions, development costs, and demand for such games, and often those don't line up in an IP's favor.

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
They're all guilty of it. Example? Why hasn't Microsoft done anything with their OG Xbox and Xbox 360 IPs? Fuzion Frenzy, Lost Odyssey, Blinx, Quantum Redshift, Shadowrun, Crimson Skies, Project Gotham Racing, half of Rare's stuff, etc. The reality is that it's just not economically feasible to keep every IP active at any given moment, Companies have to consider market conditions, development costs, and demand for such games, and often those don't line up in an IP's favor.
You don't see a new Ape Escape game selling enough to justify the cost of making it?

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Any potential hope of sequels to smaller games like that has been murdered by the big, expensive, emotional, cinematic blockbusters like God of War, Horizon, The Last of Us, etc. Sony barely even supports Japan Studio anymore. Which is why I give up on them.

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States

Look at the last four years. Pathetic. They brought us Demon's Souls, Ico, Ape Escape, Shadow of the Colossus, Gravity Rush, Bloodborne. And now Sony has just forsaken them for more and more of the same western crap.

themistermanguy

Nov 22, 2013
Country
United States

Look at the last four years. Pathetic. They brought us Demon's Souls, Ico, Ape Escape, Shadow of the Colossus, Gravity Rush, Bloodborne. And now Sony has just forsaken them for more and more of the same western crap.
They just put out Astro Bot. Knack was also a PS4 launch title as well.

You don't see a new Ape Escape game selling enough to justify the cost of making it?
It could. But Sony, like any company, would need to be convinced that the developers can make a game that stands out in the current gaming market. In other words, what could a new Ape Escape offer that other Platformers on the market don't?

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Because the console wars never ended, they only got stupider.

Yoshi

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
They do. Why do you think i wanted remakes of Medievil and the Crash and Spyro trilogies?

Also where the fuck is my Ape Escape and Tomba?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
There have been a few new Shadow Run games.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Sony knows where its audience lies, I guess. Why would they invest 10 million+ into a new Ape Escape when most Playstation fans just want the new Uncharted, Last of Us, or God of War? Sony was already leglecting these franchises during the PS2 era. Back then it was all about God of War, Metal Gear Solid, Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, Resident Evil, and Silent Hill. And maybe also some Onimusha, too.

And does Syphon Filter really have much pull anymore among the Playstation community? Really, what does anybody remember about those games, other than that you could taze dudes till they caught fire, and that (for a PS1 game) suprisingly good walk cycle?

Last edited:

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
There have been a few new Shadow Run games.
Those have nothing to do with Microsoft tho. Then again, not really sure why Shadowrun is counted as a Microsoft ip to begin with, since the p&p rpg was already around since about a decade before the Xbox was even conceived of. Yeah, Microsoft published one game based on it. But I mean, by that reasoning Spider-Man is now a Sony ip. Someone better tell Disney.

They do. Why do you think i wanted remakes of Medievil and the Crash and Spyro trilogies?
Bit nitpicky perhaps, but out of those, Medievil is the only game Sony can take credit for. Activision published the Crash/Spyro remakes.

Sony knows where its audience lies, I guess. Why would they invest 10 million+ into a new Ape Escape when most Playstation fans just want the new Uncharted, Last of Us, or God of War? Sony was already leglecting these franchises during the PS2 era. Back then it was all about God of War, Metal Gear Solid, Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, Resident Evil, and Silent Hill. And maybe also some Onimusha, too.
It's more of a general trend in the industry really. Pretty much all the major publishers have to some degree abandoned all their mid-tier IPs in favor of the big tentpole blockbuster franchises. Like you said, why invest in something that'll likely only offer modest returns when you could put that money toward a more sure thing? Though it can get worse. Way Worse. I mean ... cough Konami cough.

Yoshi

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Sony knows where its audience lies, I guess. Why would they invest 10 million+ into a new Ape Escape
whoever said they had to invest $10 million into a new entry of it?

Where's my new and/or remastered Ape Escape already damn it Sony?!!!

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
I feel like some of these are products of their time.

If a new Syphon Filter was made for example, how would it even distinguish itself from the shit load of modern shooters out there? A taser that sets people on fire?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
If a new Syphon Filter was made for example, how would it even distinguish itself from the shit load of modern shooters out there? A taser that sets people on fire?
Isn't Syphon Filter a stealth series?

There's not much competition there these days.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Is it really neglect if they're already dead?

Kidding aside, I've never played any of those games seriously, but Google says most of them haven't had a new game for a decade or more. I doubt nostalgia alone could make sequels of these games successful. Although I am surprised that Sony isn't putting more effort into remasters and remakes, they've got a gigantic library of games at their disposal.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
whoever said they had to invest $10 million into a new entry of it?

Where's my new and/or remastered Ape Escape already damn it Sony?!!!
Because games are expensive to make. Games like Horizon: Zero Dawn and God of War '18 already cost between 40 to 50 million, and if you want a substantial Ape Escape with the same level of shine as a Mario Odyssey you're looking at a budget of 10 million at least.
Isn't Syphon Filter a stealth series?

There's not much competition there these days.
Stealth has become engrained in pretty much every third-person action game in the last 10 years. So it's competition is, like, 80% of current games where you wield a gun or a sword.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
I think Sony has ADD so they can only focus on a couple of franchises at a time or they will just not get anything done.

I've been ranting for a Legend of Dragoon sequel/prequel/something for over 20 years now haha. I hope eventually they'll remember it exists. Maybe the ffviiR success will jolt their memory some. "Hey, Bob, didn't we also have a Jrpg with pre-rendered backgrounds and epic storylines where you kill god and whatnot...?".

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Because games are expensive to make. Games like Horizon: Zero Dawn and God of War '18 already cost between 40 to 50 million, and if you want a substantial Ape Escape with the same level of shine as a Mario Odyssey you're looking at a budget of 10 million at least.
Stealth has become engrained in pretty much every third-person action game in the last 10 years. So it's competition is, like, 80% of current games where you wield a gun or a sword.
I don't see Ape Escape making back its budget. It's always been a niche franchise.