Game Articles and Videos Thread

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Was thinking about how there’s a “Now Playing” thread, a “Screenshot” thread, a “Game Music” thread, a “Game Jokes” thread, but nothing that really catches all the random goings-on or features on games.

For example, my youtube feed today had quite a few different ones that would seem excessive to start new threads for each, but not quite fit the other existing ones either. The Escapist features could be another example, although perhaps they’d each deserve their own thread, similar to “Review” threads.

Anyways, I’ve always liked the behind the scenes stuff in the classic God of War games. It’s one thing that would’ve been cool to have as an unlockable for the new game. This clip reminded me of one of my favorite examples -

There is something really grandiose about this pseudo-excavation scene, making the games actually feel more grounded in reality than any of the stories themselves could.

Also,

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Also about that one from the Hitman thread -

Dalisclock might appreciate this one seeing as he just finished the game -
I've already watched it but it's a fascinating watch. Appreciate it. Kinda cool the visual tricks they pull to change the perceived world size and distance.

Reactions: Gyrobot

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I've been on a bit of a Whitelight binge recently.

Having just played through Watch_Dogs and its DLC, and getting into Watch_Dogs 2, I have found these two videos to be particularly relevant:

Otherwise, pretty much all of his content, after his Red Dead Redemption video is pretty great. Anything before, and it gets a little ropey, as it feels like he is getting to grip with his own format. Im sure there are a few hidden gems there, though.

Personally I really enjoy his mixture of light comedy and analysis. Its a lot of fun.

Otherwise, I really enjoy Reycevick, who has gotten some love above - but I particularly enjoy his "...Years later" series, as he has covered a few of the games that I enjoy immensely.

I also sat through, and really enjoyed this 1h 37m video of hbomberguy's - which is odd, because I haven't played Fallout New Vegas, nor was I subscribed to hbomberguy at the time.

Give it a look.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Super Bunnyhop does some pretty good game stuff.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Oh, for animation type stuff my fav channel is NewFramePlus.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Here's all of Whitelight's FEAR vids in a playlist.

Noah Caldwell's video on Alan and Evil Within 1 & 2.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Makes me wonder how FROM will iterate next in Elden Ring. It also kinda sadly highlights the importance placed on that dreadful Meta score, if the “90 or better” comment involving Sony’s partnering with FROM for Bloodborne is accurate.

Yeah, achievement/trophy lists are rarely designed as an extension of the game’s core design but they really should be. I only consider it for games I really enjoy, but even then the vast majority of list requirements ultimately outstay their welcome. I generally prefer to experience game content more organically vs resorting to guides or youtube to complete checklists, but there is a huge grey area as to how you can be sure you get your money’s worth and not miss any little cool extras (like MGS games for instance).

So that falls on designers as well to give players enough to go on so they can do that without needing to put down the controller.

Last edited:

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Makes me wonder how FROM will iterate next in Elden Ring. It also kinda sadly highlights the importance placed on that dreadful Meta score, if the “90 or better” comment involving Sony’s partnering with FROM for Bloodborne is accurate.

Yeah, achievement/trophy lists are rarely designed as an extension of the game’s core design but they really should be. I only consider it for games I really enjoy, but even then the vast majority of list requirements ultimately outstay their welcome. I generally prefer to experience game content more organically vs resorting to guides or youtube to complete checklists, but there is a huge grey area as to how you can be sure you get your money’s worth and not miss any little cool extras (like MGS games for instance).

So that falls on designers as well to give players enough to go on so they can do that without needing to put down the controller.
It really kinda boggles the mind why anything is tied to review scores vs sales numbers. Critics and normal gamers can, you know, not like a polished game because they simply don't like it; don't like the mechanics, the story, etc. Though game critics hardly dislike a game because they just don't enjoy it but whether there's something legit broken with it, which is why game scores are the most pointless thing ever. Once a game gets into those mid-90s and higher in Meta score, chances are I'm not gonna like it much.

I kinda skim over the trophies before I play and if there's any of those collect all 1,000 things or something I know is super grindy or "yeah... I'm not doing that", I know I'm not even attempting the 100%.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I totally feel for the man here. I can rarely bring myself to play a game well past completion to get the 100%/Platnium because normally I feel like I'm satisfied long before that and ready to move on once the credits roll. Especially in Open world games where collecting the 100 feathers in AC2 or whatnot feels tedious and totally not why I'm here.

With that out of the way, I remembered this.

So when Plague of gripes isn't drawing sexy furries/sneks, he has a lot to say about video games(DO NOT search for his 40+ hour Dark Souls "Let's Plague" series if you value your sanity) and had some really interesting things to say about MGSV.

And honestly, It did make me appreciate MGSV a lot more then I did, while also making me sad, because there is a great story there about the Medic having everything ripped away from him so he could be tricked into living someone elses life for reasons he'll never understand. It's just that story is dropped in right at the end if you go through all the Chap 2 bullshit to get that special mission, gets some audio tapes to go with it and more or less doesn't affect anything else in the damn story. Instead, it's buried under a ton of crap about magic parasites and...conspiracy stuff.....also skull face rambling on and on about something for 10 minute I honestly didn't give a shit what he had to say really and neither did Venom, so it would seem.

And I kinda wish we could have gotten THAT MGSV and not the one we got.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
I totally feel for the man here. I can rarely bring myself to play a game well past completion to get the 100%/Platnium because normally I feel like I'm satisfied long before that and ready to move on once the credits roll. Especially in Open world games where collecting the 100 feathers in AC2 or whatnot feels tedious and totally not why I'm here.

With that out of the way, I remembered this.

So when Plague of gripes isn't drawing sexy furries/sneks, he has a lot to say about video games(DO NOT search for his 40+ hour Dark Souls "Let's Plague" series if you value your sanity) and had some really interesting things to say about MGSV.

And honestly, It did make me appreciate MGSV a lot more then I did, while also making me sad, because there is a great story there about the Medic having everything ripped away from him so he could be tricked into living someone elses life for reasons he'll never understand. It's just that story is dropped in right at the end if you go through all the Chap 2 bullshit to get that special mission, gets some audio tapes to go with it and more or less doesn't affect anything else in the damn story. Instead, it's buried under a ton of crap about magic parasites and...conspiracy stuff.....also skull face rambling on and on about something for 10 minute I honestly didn't give a shit what he had to say really and neither did Venom, so it would seem.

And I kinda wish we could have gotten THAT MGSV and not the one we got.
I couldn't even finish MGSV because of it was just too open world-y. Part of Metal Gear for me is the linear structure and story driven game. You can do open missions/areas within that structure.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I couldn't even finish MGSV because of it was just too open world-y. Part of Metal Gear for me is the linear structure and story driven game. You can do open missions/areas within that structure.
Yeah, the open world part isn't bad to start with since the missions are linear, but after a while you wondered why they even bothered with the open world part since it's so empty, nothing changes on it, the guard posts respawn the moment you leave them and it's basically there so you can grab dudes(that sounds wrong....I mean it is but...anyway) and find resources.

And man, the grind feels terrible after a while, to upgrade the base that might as well be a menu(in PW it was and that was better in retrospect) and incremental improvements to your weapon(When you realize you spend millions of dollars to get a slighter better variant of your assault rifle....)

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I was on the section where you’re basically replaying earlier missions with more difficulty and struggled to stay invested. Might do it someday but the whole ranking system doesn’t work well in open world sandboxing anyways, since to get the coveted S rank you’re locked out of the fun stuff and stuck with tranq darts and sleeping grenades. Or smoke grenades if you really want to live dangerously.

IIRC Kojima said it was the MGS he always wanted to make but couldn’t due to lagging technology, but it definitely lost something in the pursuit of all that freedom.

Reactions: Dalisclock