Tokyo Olympics Chief Says Women Talk Too Much At Meetings

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
“When you increase the number of female executive members, if their speaking time isn’t restricted to a certain extent, they have difficulty finishing, which is annoying,”

The funny thing is, there are probably a lot of women who would affably agree with him. That’s no match for greater media scrutiny though, and he was likely pressured to apologize (I doubt he did so on his own accord). Some of his other comments have drawn criticism in the past too.

“When I was greeting farmers from my car (As Japan’s PM), they all went into their homes. I felt like I had AIDS,” he said.

(On Americans’ preparedness for the Y2K bug)“When there is a blackout, the murderers always come out. It’s that type of society,”

He also said that Japanese ice dancers Chris Reed and Cathy Reed, the children of a Japanese mother and American father who were born and raised in the United States but renounced American citizenship to compete for Japan, were “not good enough for the U.S. team in the Olympics.”

So he’s definitely from the old guard, and his abrasive constitution might at least be partially why he only served as PM for a year. But it’s kinda interesting how societal norms have changed in recent decades, even abroad in countries still known for strong nationalism. The fact he resigned may show things might be changing in Japan, but I get the impression he’d fit in with much of the ongoing toxic, brutal work culture there. Hopefully younger blood lead to further improvement in humanitarian efforts.

Last edited:

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Oh, it's Mori. That figures. He's one of those reactionary old fucks stuck in the Shōwa era, which, granted, arguably describes the majority of notable Japanese politicians. I'll leave it up to your own discretion if that's post-WW2 Shōwa, or pre.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Let's remember Japan is the place where one of their top universities cut a third off the score of women applicants for the entry exam into medical school (until finally exposed a few years back) because they didn't want female doctors.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
“When you increase the number of female executive members, if their speaking time isn’t restricted to a certain extent, they have difficulty finishing, which is annoying,”

The funny thing is, there are probably a lot of women who would affably agree with him. That’s no match for greater media scrutiny though, and he was likely pressured to apologize (I doubt he did so on his own accord). Some of his other comments have drawn criticism in the past too.

“When I was greeting farmers from my car (As Japan’s PM), they all went into their homes. I felt like I had AIDS,” he said.

(On Americans’ preparedness for the Y2K bug)“When there is a blackout, the murderers always come out. It’s that type of society,”

He also said that Japanese ice dancers Chris Reed and Cathy Reed, the children of a Japanese mother and American father who were born and raised in the United States but renounced American citizenship to compete for Japan, were “not good enough for the U.S. team in the Olympics.”

So he’s definitely from the old guard, and his abrasive constitution might at least be partially why he only served as PM for a year. But it’s kinda interesting how societal norms have changed in recent decades, even abroad in countries still known for strong nationalism. The fact he resigned may show things might be changing in Japan, but I get the impression he’d fit in with much of the ongoing toxic, brutal work culture there. Hopefully younger blood lead to further improvement in humanitarian efforts.
Dude can go fuck himself hard. There are plenty of men that talk too much and got their asses handed to them figuratively and literally. And I am sure Japanese men are no exception either.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I imagine there’s a certain level of efficiency in a Japanese business and government meetings that when compared to the legendary waffle marathons of their counterparts in the west, even basic small talk is probably going to be seen as talking too much. Still, Jesus dude, if whatever your female colleagues do at meetings is bothersome then attending any meeting I’ve had the displeasure of attending in the past decade and a half would have you reaching for a gun.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Got a funny anecdote.

I work in a female dominated industry. 4 guys only across 100 workers. 3 of those guys are known as the incredibly talkative ones, way more than any of the women. I work personally with one of them and can attest that he indeed talks way more than most women at work. I have previously worked with another for 6mths and he may not top the ladder for talkativeness but he would be close

So ‘women being noisy’ thing is not a reality for me

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I imagine there’s a certain level of efficiency in a Japanese business and government meetings that when compared to the legendary waffle marathons of their counterparts in the west, even basic small talk is probably going to be seen as talking too much. Still, Jesus dude, if whatever your female colleagues do at meetings is bothersome then attending any meeting I’ve had the displeasure of attending in the past decade and a half would have you reaching for a gun.
Mori is one of those old guard conservative types, the kind stuck in an era when what most Japanese women could aspire to be was housewife or mistress, and not much else. So I'm thinking his problem is not so much that women talk too much in meetings, it's that they're there at all.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Mori is one of those old guard conservative types, the kind stuck in an era when what most Japanese women could aspire to be was housewife or mistress, and not much else. So I'm thinking his problem is not so much that women talk too much in meetings, it's that they're there at all.
And probably that it's becoming less socially acceptable to have affairs with them.

This is purely anecdotal, but when I worked there, there were plenty of stories of company affairs going around.

Reactions: Chimpzy

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
And in an instant all meetings in Japan became two minutes shorter (they kicked the women out).

I've become hyper-aware of sexism probably due to having spent so much time alone in front of the monitor during the past year, BUT it mostly just seems to bite me in the ass. Sexism that was accepted before my time was overt and now it's usually covert -> thus overt sexism gets into the news. As a product of my environment I can't deny that I'm sexist too, part irrationally but a great deal of it is rational as well.

fOx

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2017
Country
United States
Man, I almost miss the simplicity of old school sexism.

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
Seems rather lame compared to other things we talk about. He's said the thing, people got upset about it and he'll get shit for it and now we move on.

We have a long thread about an emote being removed that spiraled into rights being removed some how at least this is clear cut and a better peak into old school conservative politics and views in real life and not what people assume anime shows them.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
We have a long thread about an emote being removed that spiraled into rights being removed some how at least this is clear cut and a better peak into old school conservative politics and views in real life and not what people assume anime shows them.
When you're told constantly that your own culture ("The west") is literally founded on a culture of rape, I don't really see why this guy's comments are enough to give any of us any ground to complain about Japan compared to our own countries.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
When you're told constantly that your own culture ("The west") is literally founded on a culture of rape, I don't really see why this guy's comments are enough to give any of us any ground to complain about Japan compared to our own countries.
Yes, it would be very good that we don't examine Japanese rape culture compared to the "west".

We probably shouldn't bring up rape culture *at all* when we're talking about some old dude being randomly sexist. That would probably spiral wildly out of control.

A better comparison would be "binders of women" or the like.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrCalavera

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
You poor thing, having to confront the reality of rape not being hidden by a polite civilised veneer.

Last edited: