Guilty Gear Strive

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Tekken is actually a lot more complex than it seems, you have to learn to do the korean backdash for example, and people complain about that and about juggles day and night. Also chars have a million moves so that's just more complex in general, though you can do fine with only using a few of the good ones.

The reason tekken feels easy is that you have really high damage and the attacks are more often than not straightforward enough, so you can kinda get the feel of the flow and no matter what you do you are gonna get similar results, only something like Lei's animal stances or Yoshimitsu stabbing himself or meditating at the wrong moment can really screw you up. At a low level you have very few things to keep in mind.

Though it always had a lot of silly stuff, it had demons shooting lasers and ogre breathing fire and the panda farting on you. Now they just added some more chars who have those like the robot girl with the chainsaw arms but you can still just use the 50 or so other chars who are more standard too.
Oh I'm sure it's deeper than I every thought it was. Tekken 1 was my first Playstation 1 game and I've played every game since, so maybe growing up with it feels easier. However i am no combo master nor do I really know the moves with any given character.

But Tekken does let me think like a real world fighter. I don't need crazy juggles, I don't need flashy lasers, I just need to bob and weave and strike when there is an opening. It makes more sense to me for whatever reason.

Meanwhile a game like Mortal Kombat requires me to know the fundamentals of each character. Knowing Sub-zero's ice throw, or Scorpion's "get over here" and teleport. You literally can't make it through matches without knowing those things with each character. Whereas in Tekken, if you can time punches and kicks you can get by well enough with low to average players. At least it feels that way.

I tried Dragonball Z fighters and damn near lost my fucking mind. The combo's, beams, chracter swapping, team building synergies,.......fuck it my brain explodes.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Hell couldn't beat the MK11 tutorial either because the combo tutorial was fucking stupidly complex.
Oh you will not like Guilty Gear. Basically every character has a core gimmick mechanic which requires a special to pull off that you can combo into more specials with precise timing or thinking ahead. Also the game is properly hard and fast. If you want RSI and calloused thumbs, Guilty Gear is the fighter to go for. A session playing as my preferred character Jam, the nearest you can get to braindead button mashing, leaves my hands feeling distinctly odd.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Oh you will not like Guilty Gear. Basically every character has a core gimmick mechanic which requires a special to pull off that you can combo into more specials with precise timing or thinking ahead. Also the game is properly hard and fast. If you want RSI and calloused thumbs, Guilty Gear is the fighter to go for. A session playing as my preferred character Jam, the nearest you can get to braindead button mashing, leaves my hands feeling distinctly odd.
Jam is really not someone you'd wanna mash with lol, she kills herself too easily with too many of her moves, Sol is way better at being random because most of his stuff is safe at least. Also he has a good dp, that alone helps a bunch.

But yeah the charm of the game is how each char is totally unique and so you get to experience a lot of varied gameplay as opposed to everyone doing the same thing in a different way.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This is a better demonstration of what Giovanna can do in Strive, than that starter guide.

Houseman

Mad Hatter Meme Machine.
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Fighting games look cool. The concept seems cool. But I hate fighting games, because I keep losing to people who have spent more time in training mode than I have.

Whenever you're matched up with someone else, whoever wins can be derived purely as a function of how much time someone has spent memorizing combos, matchups, frame-data, etc. It's probably 30% reflexes and 70% book-knowledge and memorization.

It's like a racing game. If you know all the turns and the capabilities of your car, all you have to do is follow a clean line, don't smash into any walls, and you are guaranteed a victory over someone who's racing on the track for the first time. The outcome of the match is predetermined.

Let's say you know the combos for your character, and the person you're fighting doesn't.
He hits you 10 times, but doesn't know how to capitalize on those hits with combos, so he only does a little damage to you.
You hit him 5 times, and KO him because you know how to capitalize on those hits with combos.

Your opponent was, in a sense, better than you. He hit you 10 times. The only reason he didn't win was because he didn't have the book-knowledge and memorization required to follow those hits up with combos.

I'd rather spend my time having fun, not sitting in training mode so I can have fun at some time in the distant future when I finally win.

Rant over, please continue with your topic.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Fighting games look cool. The concept seems cool. But I hate fighting games, because I keep losing to people who have spent more time in training mode than I have.

Whenever you're matched up with someone else, whoever wins can be derived purely as a function of how much time someone has spent memorizing combos, matchups, frame-data, etc. It's probably 30% reflexes and 70% book-knowledge and memorization.

It's like a racing game. If you know all the turns and the capabilities of your car, all you have to do is follow a clean line, don't smash into any walls, and you are guaranteed a victory over someone who's racing on the track for the first time. The outcome of the match is predetermined.

Let's say you know the combos for your character, and the person you're fighting doesn't.
He hits you 10 times, but doesn't know how to capitalize on those hits with combos, so he only does a little damage to you.
You hit him 5 times, and KO him because you know how to capitalize on those hits with combos.

Your opponent was, in a sense, better than you. He hit you 10 times. The only reason he didn't win was because he didn't have the book-knowledge and memorization required to follow those hits up with combos.

I'd rather spend my time having fun, not sitting in training mode so I can have fun at some time in the distant future when I finally win.

Rant over, please continue with your topic.
The idea is that there's a maximum point of memorization where everyone already knows everything, and it is there that the real game begins and it's like chess where you already know all the possible plays and have to predict what your foe will go for, only much higher speed and with an element of execution that makes it more tense and hype.

Most people, when they die due to something they don't know, ask about it and find out why it was that that thing occurred, and then they remember it cause it caused them to lose and losing sucks. If you play long enough you will end up just through trial and error learning the vast majority of stuff in an organic way, you just have to not expect to do well when you don't have that information, you wanna play to learn and have fun, not to win.

Combos are kinda like this too, if you see that if you had landed that one combo there you'd have won, you will go and practice it cause losing sucks and you wanna land that combo like the guy who just beat you did. Also some chars are more or less combo heavy so if you wanna do easy high damage without too much requirement for combos you can pick someone like Potemkin who does 40% with one move. Also something that people often confuse is that it's actually much harder to land hits that can be hitconfirmed into full combos than just memorizing a single combo. Usually, someone who is able to land those hits should be more than capable enough of doing at least an average-enough combo even with minimal practice, due to the vast difference in difficulty between the two things. Oftentimes, people who complain about this sort of thing aren't landing those hits either, they just imagine that even if they were the outcome wouldn't change cause they can't combo, but they don't stop to think if they really could actually land those hits in the first place. Most of the time, they can't.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The full version of "Eye to Eye" (Not the one with Tevin Campbell)

Last edited:

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Been watching various streams, game looking mad hype. The above vid was taken out of a 5+ hour stream Kazunoko did, fun times were had indeed. Can't wait to get my hands on the beta, it's less than 24 hours away now! :D

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
I buy these games on discount to faff about on and then to read a terrible 3D visual novel about some nonsensical story.

Still waiting on Elphelt. Wish she was pink again.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
I appreciate big booba wolf girl and floaty sword cloaked stripper. Don't appreciate little anchor (?) girl.

The overall style is ott bordering on corny, which is part of the appeal I guess.

As you can guess I don't care too much about playing fighting games, but watching them is fun sometimes.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Been having a blast with Chipp. This game is even more beautiful than it was before which is incredible to ponder. Also the netcode is butter smooth. They have been stress testing the servers though so the beta comes up and goes down as of about this afternoon, it should be fixed by the time it's open to the general public later tonight though.

I appreciate big booba wolf girl and floaty sword cloaked stripper. Don't appreciate little anchor (?) girl.

The overall style is ott bordering on corny, which is part of the appeal I guess.

As you can guess I don't care too much about playing fighting games, but watching them is fun sometimes.
May ( the dolphin girl) is something like 23, meanwhile Ramlethal (ganguro girl with flying swords) is maybe a year old (she's not human, she's a Valentine, think of it like a clone of a god with sped up aging and superpowers, she had to be taught what food and love was in the previous game).

Never underestimate the power of god and anime.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
May ( the dolphin girl) is something like 23, meanwhile Ramlethal (ganguro girl with flying swords) is maybe a year old (she's not human, she's a Valentine, think of it like a clone of a god with sped up aging and superpowers, she had to be taught what food and love was in the previous game).

Never underestimate the power of god and anime.
What a surprise.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Every time I watch Giovanna gameplay it feels like she only has half her moveset. What is the point of the wolf if it never gets used in any of her moves?

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
Every time I watch Giovanna gameplay it feels like she only has half her moveset. What is the point of the wolf if it never gets used in any of her moves?
The wolf is a ghost possessing her, when she gets more meter she gets more possessed and does more damage (also turns green). Also during her super she grows a tail and has that recycled symbol on her head.

Gio is basically one of the beginner-friendly chars, they gave her just a few straitforward and easy to use moves and made her passive meter gain do something in order to help people who aren't used to using their meter yet. If you want more complex stuff with multiple chars look at Zato.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
The wolf is a ghost possessing her, when she gets more meter she gets more possessed and does more damage (also turns green). Also during her super she grows a tail and has that recycled symbol on her head.

Gio is basically one of the beginner-friendly chars, they gave her just a few straitforward and easy to use moves and made her passive meter gain do something in order to help people who aren't used to using their meter yet. If you want more complex stuff with multiple chars look at Zato.
That's fine, but I just find the size of the wolf as a design element to be really odd considering how little is actually does. Literally half her character model is the wolf and it basically functions as a cape or something.

I don't need her to be more complicated, I like that there are some more beginner level characters in the game that are straight forward. I just wish the wolf did things rather than was just implied to do things.

Like other characters have projectiles, she could send the wolf out to attack as a projectile or something. Just make it more than a fashion accessory.