Should Epic Games Store Exclusives Be Boycotted?

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
You know whats disappointing about that game is that you functionally had that in the old AVP2 games. My friends and I did it all the time. We had to cheese it a little and use the FFA Deathmatch mode so we could have a blatantly unbalanced team but that functionally made it a hard mode since we had friendly fire on.
I just want a proper AVP2 remaster.

Or a Predator open world hunting type game, with xeno hives and other alien monsters on different worlds. That'd be neat. Co-op would be neater.

...Yes, I'm basically asking for Predator Hunter World.

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
The argument is that since there are so many bad games that it means there might be games you love that you miss because the bad games make the good ones impossible to find. I find it a rather silly argument, especially after all the discovery tools that Valve has added to Steam, but that is what they are arguing.
Also the Slum is the measure of civilization. So if your Slum consists of diseases infected hellholes with zero prospects for the future and not hard working indie devs who taken the money to make something of their lives there is a big problem with Steam that even as a long time user can't ignore.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Also the Slum is the measure of civilization. So if your Slum consists of diseases infected hellholes with zero prospects for the future and not hard working indie devs who taken the money to make something of their lives there is a big problem with Steam that even as a long time user can't ignore.
What do you mean?

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Given that every civilization ever has had its poor and dirty masses, most of them to a far greater extent than any modern first world country, and we managed to advance out of them anyway... I don't really see how your argument tracks.

Steam shovelware gave the storefront a bad reputation which made egs exclusivity much more attractive as they dont have to share space with shovelware
I mean, I'm pretty sure that the main inducement for EGS exclusivity is the big honking check that pays back the devs' entire development cost before the game is even on sale...

Your argument might hold water if devs were choosing to not release on Steam at all, but we all know that the very day the EGS exclusivity contract has run its course, those games are on Steam. Shit, I've got multiple games on my Steam wishlist that are EGS exclusives, but already have Steam pages in anticipation of the exclusivity running out.

Reactions: Gyrobot

Gyrobot

May 13, 2020
Given that every civilization ever has had its poor and dirty masses, most of them to a far greater extent than any modern first world country, and we managed to advance out of them anyway... I don't really see how your argument tracks.

I mean, I'm pretty sure that the main inducement for EGS exclusivity is the big honking check that pays back the devs' entire development cost before the game is even on sale...

Your argument might hold water if devs were choosing to not release on Steam at all, but we all know that the very day the EGS exclusivity contract has run its course, those games are on Steam. Shit, I've got multiple games on my Steam wishlist that are EGS exclusives, but already have Steam pages in anticipation of the exclusivity running out.
When Riis made that comment, it is not just about the amount of poor and dirty but also how squalid their conditions are. And shovelware is the slum of game storefronts representing the worst in cashgrabs and game development. The only place more filthy and squalid than the steam store are the app stores where all hope of a serious mobile gaming scene had been killed.

And for me, once a company chosen to select a storefront for exclusivity they are pretty much dead to me. So when a company chose to align themselves with EGS, I write them off and refuse to support their game.

But this is the kickers, none of the games on EGS is so terrible that they are unplayable crap or shameless badge farm made on stolen art in the form of hentai slider puzzles.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Steam shovelware gave the storefront a bad reputation which made egs exclusivity much more attractive as they dont have to share space with shovelware
Steam's total abandonment of quality control, added to the fact that Valve want to automate everything and have absolutely shithouse Customer service has driven a lot of people to EGS.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
Steam's total abandonment of quality control, added to the fact that Valve want to automate everything and have absolutely shithouse Customer service has driven a lot of people to EGS.
Free games and exclusives drove people to EGS, mainly. I've heard little but bitching about the actual storefront as a service.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Free games and exclusives drove people to EGS, mainly. I've heard little but bitching about the actual storefront as a service.
I'll admit that a free game lured me to download EGS. But it is indeed Steam's lack of any kind of quality control and terrible customer service that means I don't care one bit about Epic doing exclusive deals. I'll happily get a game that did an exclusive deal with EGS and gloat about how much fun I'm having with the game to all the Valve fanboys who are waiting out for a Steam version.

Gyrobot

May 13, 2020
I'll admit that a free game lured me to download EGS. But it is indeed Steam's lack of any kind of quality control and terrible customer service that means I don't care one bit about Epic doing exclusive deals. I'll happily get a game that did an exclusive deal with EGS and gloat about how much fun I'm having with the game to all the Valve fanboys who are waiting out for a Steam version.
Or if it's ubisoft. Never getting a steam version. Steam had it coming for allowing trashy shovelware on Steam

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Or if it's ubisoft. Never getting a steam version. Steam had it coming for allowing trashy shovelware on Steam
The significant point here is that allowing it is fine, but making absolutely no effort to curate ANYTHING on their own service means that I'm not spending any money there for the forseeable future. Mount and Blade 2 was the last thing I bought, and it'll stay that way.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
The irritation at Steam’s lack of curation tends to circle around the amount of low effort, broken and at times outright stolen material that gets vomited on there without so much as a blink.

Sending shit like that packing isn’t censorship, it’s quality control.
Hey, sorry, forgot I even posted in this thread.

So, we're looking for two uniquely different things. I'm looking for a place to play my games, interact with my friends, and a place to get an idea of what the average player thinks about the games, let alone to see if there's a community based on the game. That's good stuff to me.

You're looking for quality control. And I get it to a degree. But I look at steam as open source, basically. Buyer beware. Like I spoke about before, I have no interest in games I haven't researched extensively, and to this day I don't see as much shovelware as people proclaim.

In looking at my store page, I've seen nothing but Red Dead Redemption II, Command and Conquer, the Sega Classics, the Hunt Showdown, Trover saves the universe, Jedi fallen order, Chaosbane, RE 3, Shantae and the Seven Sirens, Victor Vran, Cook Serve Delicious 2, BL 3... I just do not see this overwhelming mess of shovelware that everyone proclaims.

And I'm not saying it's not there. But if I have to hunt to find it, I do not consider it a problem.

Reactions: SupahEwok

Gyrobot

May 13, 2020
You look at all upcoming releases and you get a better picture of what Steam is like right now. If you do something like that for EGS, you won't be swamped with shovelware

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
You look at all upcoming releases and you get a better picture of what Steam is like right now. If you do something like that for EGS, you won't be swamped with shovelware
I mean, I get what you're saying on one hand. I do not know a lot of these games. And they are indie puzzles.

But I literally had to hunt for that. The first thing that came to my list at the time was New and Trending. It looked like this.

Steam 001.jpg

My slideshow is currently Sea of Thieves, Rust, Battlefleet Gothic Armada, Halo, War Thunder-Star fighters, Post Scriptum, RE 3, Factorio, Remnant From the Ashes, Endzone-A world Apart, Civ 6, and Kenshi.

Under it, I see "Special Offers".

Then "Players like you Love".

Then "Steam Lab Recommendations (The Community Recommends)"

Then "The Discovery queue"

And only then do I see the plain boring button that would take me to the Shovelware you're talking about that's sequestered under "New Releases". A button I only learned about today and would have never touched in the past because I only care about what I like and I wasn't going to just pick something at random to see what's out there.

I don't want you to think I don't hear you. There's a lot of shovelware on the platform. Ok. But I had to hunt and do things I normally wouldn't do to even see it. Most of the time, Steam shows me games based on the tags of games I normally buy, and there are at least Double A quality.

If I had to hunt to find out what you're talking about, I can not say this is what Steam is like right now. I can say it's apart of what Steam is now. Because it is. But Steam also only shows me AA or AAA games that suit my likes. That's not fanboyism. I'm into Warhammer and it knows that. I like FPSs, and it showed me Halo. I fly sometimes and there's War Thunder. Big RE fan and own most of the games on Steam and it asks me if I want RE 3. I'm into soulsborne and there's Remnant From the Ashes. I own a ton of Civilization games and look, there's Civ 6.

I mean, I don't know what else there is to say. I would have never known about this problem until people pointed it out to me. And now that I've seen this problem and I had to hunt for the offense in a manner that I've never done before and will never do again... It doesn't bother me. Everyone has a choice to ignore it. And I actually like that everyone has an equal chance of getting games they put out in the world. Does that open door mean some crappy games will come out? Yup. Does that mean people have to buy them or look at them? No.

I'm not offended by their existence, so I'm left here with the knowledge that it does bother others.