Yet another update post on Marvel's Avengers

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
After the cancellation of Anthem 2.0, my immediate thought was "Hmm, I wonder if Avenger's is next?"

After all, not did the game itself sucked, playerbase is dead, and it sold less than Anthem.

I thought "Surely, Avengers would try to do something similar, if not fix the current game?"

Well, it looks like Crystal Dynamics decided to add more fuel to the dumpster fire:

TL;DR
Yeah, we thought players were progressing TOO FAST! So we're making it more grindy

I see what they're doing here; They are artificially increaing the play time to make up for the fact that the endgame content is lackluster. I mean gee, might as well as add more MTX and make each levels locked behind paywalls or an insane amount of game time.

IDK, feels like the devs are putting this game on a life support

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I see what they're doing here; They are artificially increasing the play time to make up for the fact that the endgame content is lackluster. I mean gee, might as well as add more MTX and make each levels locked behind paywalls or an insane amount of game time.
The same thing happened with both Destiny games. Still not interested in this game, and would rather play Ultimate Alliance 3.

Last edited:
Reactions: sXeth

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
The same thing happened with both Destiny games. Still not interests in this game and would rather play Ultimate Alliance 3.
Yeah I was literally going to comment that lol.

Back in the olden days of D1 it was like the end of story/soft cap (before you needed the very limited and horribly RNG weekly milestone gear drops) was at the level ot do endgame stuff, or 10 at most.

Fast forward to now, and its like, Soft Caps 900, but the new Raid/whatever is 1000. Good luck having our dumb system drop you enough gear for the right slots to actually cover that. Or you might just keep getting 905/910 helmet and gauntlets while all your other slots anchor for you months on end, until we release the next expansion and if you buy that then shitty common drops will be high enough to bring you up to do the endgame from the last one.

Presumably this covered up (badly) that Destiny only has ever had 1 or 2 at best active pieces of endgame comtent, except for the brief half year at the end of D1 where they refreshed the other 4 from prior years up

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I honestly could not believe that article. There is already nobody playing the game and now they want to chase off the rest of the players?

Maybe they are trying to kill the game quicker so they can shut it down and not have to continue supporting it. After all arent there more characters to come out? Maybe they dont want to bother with it and hope that if they kill the playerbase then the higher ups will cancel the game.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Well this is... stupid.

One of the more common complaints about Avengers is that most of the combat depth is hidden behind the levelling system, for each character. Why would you want to make that harder to achieve, especially when the game desperately needs to bring as many players back - not chase the rest off.

I know Steam players isn't the biggest or only source of players, but on the 2nd March, the game reached a low of 220 concurrent players, and today's peak was 665. With numbers like this, this isn't a game they can really afford to make worse.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Why were people even interested in the game to begin with? At best the game looked like something decent for like 10-20 hour single player game as the gameplay looked rather mediocre so playing multiple Avengers averagely would be fine for that 10-20 hour experience. But we all knew it was some live-service thing at the start. I really don't get gamers I guess.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Spider-Man is supposed to be a PlayStation exclusive at some point down the line (since Sony owns the rights). I wonder how many poor saps bought the game thinking they'd get him.
BUT IT'S IN THE ROADMAP! TRUST THE ROADMAP!

Yeah, I've been hearing rumors this is setting up to go Free to play and I can't see any reason not to believe that. I'm also not interested in this(or Anthem or Destiny, etc) in the least so this is more a point and laugh moment for me.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

Yeah, I've been hearing rumors this is setting up to go Free to play and I can't see any reason not to believe that. I'm also not interested in this(or Anthem or Destiny, etc) in the least so this is more a point and laugh moment for me.
You know come to think of it.....Free to Play might actually give this game some sort of life. Though the gameplay is vapid and with that added grind, I still don't see it keeping people around long.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Just take it out back and shoot it. You inept mother fuckers.
Knowing this games development they'd probably miss like 20 times and then pepper the thing with non-fatal gunshot wounds for another hour or so, leaving it in even more pain but not out of it's misery.

And man that's a dark fucking metaphor I'm almost ashamed of.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Knowing this games development they'd probably miss like 20 times and then pepper the thing with non-fatal gunshot wounds for another hour or so, leaving it in even more pain but not out of it's misery.

And man that's a dark fucking metaphor I'm almost ashamed of.
You know what. You're right, Square should hire a Yakuza to do it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Yeah, I've been hearing rumors this is setting up to go Free to play and I can't see any reason not to believe that. I'm also not interested in this(or
Anthem or Destiny, etc) in the least so this is more a point and laugh moment for me.
You know come to think of it.....Free to Play might actually give this game some sort of life. Though the gameplay is vapid and with that added grind, I still don't see it keeping people around long.
What I find even more insulting about this games is not only is it another horrible destiny clone, but it's also a worse version of Anarchy Reigns and God of War 4 (Thor's playstyle). The combat designer for GoW4 helped with the combat. How much seems very minimal. And Ultimate Alliance 3 still looks and plays better than this. UA3 was originally going to have EXP has downloadable DLC (which explains its heavy grinding), but backed out at the last minute. I said before, and I will say again, super hero bases games (especially the Marvel IPs) are in a worst spot than they have been in the past.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
What I find even more insulting about this games is not only is it another horrible destiny clone, but it's also a worse version of Anarchy Reigns and God of War 4 (Thor's playstyle). The combat designer for GoW4 helped with the combat. How much seems very minimal. And Ultimate Alliance 3 still looks and plays better than this. UA3 was originally going to have EXP has downloadable DLC (which explains its heavy grinding), but backed out at the last minute. I said before, and I will say again, super hero bases games (especially the Marvel IPs) are in a worst spot than they have been in the past.
Spider-man not withstanding. But yeah.

I miss Marvel Heroes.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Spider-man not withstanding. But yeah.
Spider-Man is great; both of them. The main flaw being they're stuck to one console now. The only time Spider-Man will be in a multiplatform game is if it's a crossover game with other Marvel or Capcom characters.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
This just highlight the artistic decline the video game industry is trapped in.

The MCU has been the biggest thing in pop culture for a decade now. Given how high profile the Marvel movies are both the casual and the hardcore gaming audience would be very easily sold on an Iron Man game or a Captain America game. They've had a full decade to capitalize on the MCU's popularity but the gaming industry seems unwilling to do it. The only ambition they had with the MCU was to make a mediocre live service game steeped in outdated and discredited design philosophies. The industry had 10 years, dozens of movies, six main Avengers, several side heroes and countless settings and genres to work with, but an outdated live service was all they wanted to do.

Its the same as Star Wars. Before the sequels became controversial there was a perfect window to heavily capitalize on the desire for Star Wars content but all EA wanted to do was release two mediocre shooters which they then sabotaged.

I'm sure that somewhere in the archives of game companies there are pitches regarding all sort of Marvel and Star Wars games but that since they weren't a live service the game industry was avoiding all those pitches like the plague. Once the life service gimmick ends it might start to become apparent just how many good games we missed out on.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I think the comic book movies and properties tied to them are past their peak with Endgame in the rear view mirror and covid causing the breakdown in production that it did.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
They should have been like the movies, and which genius thought the best way to do the combat was for everyone to punch shit.