Yet another update post on Marvel's Avengers

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
The industry had 10 years, dozens of movies, six main Avengers, several side heroes and countless settings and genres to work with, but an outdated live service was all they wanted to do.
Welllll actually they made a middling Captain America Arkham-clone and a few pure shit Thor and Iron Man games. But I think that was before Disney bought Marvel. Which makes you think, was it a conscious choice to not make any tie-in games? Seems like such an incredibly not-Disney thing to do.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Welllll actually they made a middling Captain America Arkham-clone and a few pure shit Thor and Iron Man games. But I think that was before Disney bought Marvel. Which makes you think, was it a conscious choice to not make any tie-in games? Seems like such an incredibly not-Disney thing to do.
Don't forget Marvel vs. Capcom 3, The Deadpool game, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, The Amazing Spider-Man 1 & 2 games (before Spider-Man PS4), MvC: Infinite (fucking sucks), and X-men Destiny (also sucked due to Activision rushing the game out). Ironic how Thor keeps getting crappy games or thrown in to crappy games, aside from MvC 3 and Ultimate Alliance 3, yet God of War 4 is the best Thor game without Thor.

Last edited:

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Don't forget Marvel vs. Capcom 3, The Deadpool game, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, The Amazing Spider-Man 1 & 2 games (before Spider-Man PS4), MvC: Infinite (fucking sucks), and X-men Destiny (also sucked due to Activision rushing the game out). Ironic how Thor keeps getting crappy games or thrown in to crappy games, aside from MvC 3 and Ultimate Alliance 3, yet God of War is the best Thor game without Thor.
Ah no I meant games made specifically for the MCU. The Marvel v Capcom games were around way before the MCU afaik, while the rest are for Sony's TASM franchise and Fox's X-men universe. But yeah, amazing how in so long, there's just a handful of decent supehero games.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
The shitty tie-in game, including of Disney properties, is still around in abundance tho. They're just on mobile now.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
The shitty tie-in game, including of Disney properties, is still around in abundance tho. They're just on mobile now.
Haven't seen ads for those in a while. I guess they must make big bucks if they never bothered to make AAA games.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
This just highlight the artistic decline the video game industry is trapped in.

The MCU has been the biggest thing in pop culture for a decade now. Given how high profile the Marvel movies are both the casual and the hardcore gaming audience would be very easily sold on an Iron Man game or a Captain America game. They've had a full decade to capitalize on the MCU's popularity but the gaming industry seems unwilling to do it. The only ambition they had with the MCU was to make a mediocre live service game steeped in outdated and discredited design philosophies. The industry had 10 years, dozens of movies, six main Avengers, several side heroes and countless settings and genres to work with, but an outdated live service was all they wanted to do.

Its the same as Star Wars. Before the sequels became controversial there was a perfect window to heavily capitalize on the desire for Star Wars content but all EA wanted to do was release two mediocre shooters which they then sabotaged.

I'm sure that somewhere in the archives of game companies there are pitches regarding all sort of Marvel and Star Wars games but that since they weren't a live service the game industry was avoiding all those pitches like the plague. Once the life service gimmick ends it might start to become apparent just how many good games we missed out on.

Eh, they did do some games for the initial batch of films too. (And countless Lego Avengers games).

I wouldn't entirely put this on the game industry either. Because the old House of Mouse is notorious for lackluster investment in its gaming licensees, and for being hyper-controlling about all its IPs in general. All those other ideas were probably equivalently shutdown by them because they either didn't fit their storylines, or they only wanted tie-in games and with the MCUs (massively bloated) release schedules, actually getting a game that isn't just throwing assets on existing ideas is rough.

Star Wars actually gives us a case in point. The "good" (ish), or at least unique Star Wars game.... was Fallen Order. A (probably) non-canon (or well, it was neatly wrapped up so it never need be referenced) story, featuring basically no established characters of note, with a pretty obviously lower AA level budget.

Disney won't throw in and put their support (and their A-list) into anythign that isn't going to mill money back, even if they do let the brand on it.

Last edited:

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Star Wars actually gives us a case in point. The "good" (ish), or at least unique Star Wars game.... was Fallen Order. A (probably) non-canon (or well, it was neatly wrapped up so it never need be referenced) story, featuring basically no established characters of note, with a pretty obviously lower AA level budget.
I thought it was obvious that they didn't advertise the game as well as the Battlefront games (or like... at all), but a lower budget is not something I would have associated with Fallen Order. I have yet to play it though.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I thought it was obvious that they didn't advertise the game as well as the Battlefront games (or like... at all), but a lower budget is not something I would have associated with Fallen Order. I have yet to play it though.

It doesn't really come off worse for it. But yeah, animation quality, the staggeringly low amount of actual levels. And some other general stuff, you can definitely get the sense that it didn't get the AAA sacks of money thrown at it.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
It doesn't really come off worse for it. But yeah, animation quality, the staggeringly low amount of actual levels. And some other general stuff, you can definitely get the sense that it didn't get the AAA sacks of money thrown at it.
Considering how often people complain about too large open world maps, I actually don't mind that they made it more linear. I mean Star Wars has never been a "wander around and do whatever you want' kind of franchise. It's always been a very narratively driven thing, so hopping all over, in my opinion, often detracts from the quality of the work. Most of the films only stick to 2-3 different biomes per movie, if you hop more than that, it makes it where the locations are so short and forgettable. You may as well have never gone there, for all the impact it had on the story.

So, while I got really annoyed with the region locking in Fallen Order, making you go back and forth, over and over, as you unlocked new abilities, I don't have a problem in theory, with keeping the locations limited.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

You can replay the campaign again if you want for some reason.

Reactions: Dalisclock

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK

Of the small handful of positive things about the Avengers game, the campaign is usually one of them.

On a slightly related note, I never really understand games that don't let you replay mission-based campaigns, without starting again.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Reactions: CriticalGaming

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra

"This will save us from having to create new content!"

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica

You couldn't before? Then what exactly have people been doing this whole time?

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Nobody seems to care that they put Lady Thor into it either. I did find it funny though that she has a bare midriff, just for this version of her. Devs slipping back into bad habits?

There's also this, which is quite cringe but I also laughed a little.