Georgia Rep. Park Cannon Speaks Out for First Time Since Arrest

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
https://www.theroot.com/im-facing-8-years-in-prison-*********rep-park-cannon-s-1846605913

11 Alive reports Cannon spoke during a press conference in front of the John Lewis mural on Auburn Avenue on Thursday morning. After describing her experience as “painful, both physically and emotionally,” she dropped a bomb that should only further enrage people who are already enraged at the injustice of voter laws that even Kemp sort of admitted are largely arbitrary—Cannon said she’s facing eight years for knocking on a door.

“I felt as if time was moving in slow motion,” Cannon said while holding back tears. “As difficult as it is to acknowledge that I am facing eight years in prison on unfounded charges...I believe the governor’s signing into law the most comprehensive voter suppression bill in the country is a far more serious crime. A law with such nefarious qualities that several of Georgia’s Fortune 500 companies have begun knocking on the door.”

Despite what the caucasity-infused Georgia state patrol officer who arrested her implied, Cannon did not storm a Capitol building with violent intent, so the idea that she should be facing even a day in prison is as ridiculous and racist as the legislation that led to her arrest in the first place.

Cannon also spoke with CNN’s Don Lemon about her “terrifying” arrest on Thursday.

“I was afraid, just like many Americans are when they come into contact with law enforcement, that there would be a need for me to protect myself. But instead, I was able to just continue to think about the world was watching, people could see, and it was still very terrifying.”

When Lemon asked her how watching the video of her arrest made her feel, Cannon said, “It makes me wonder, why?”

“Why were they arresting me? Why were they doing this? Why did the world have to experience another traumatic arrest?” she continued.

She also said that during her arrest, she was “hopeful that people would see that I was being nonviolent.”

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
Now that's a hostile work environment. America is sick.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Umm... okay.

I can think of a lot of more important things I'd like politicians arrested for than non-approved knocking on doors.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
but that didn’t sit right with state Rep. Park Cannon, who was arrested for knocking on the door to demand that Kemp stop being a punk-b*tch
Is this really the news article you're going to use for this thread? I'm supposed to consider this an honest news article free from bias? I guess journalistic standards CAN go even lower than I thought.

Last edited:

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
Is this really the news article you're going to use for this thread? I'm supposed to consider this an honest news article free from bias? I guess journalistic standards CAN go even lower than I thought.
Which presented facts do you question?

Reactions: MrCalavera

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Skipping past the angle the article has, are the basic facts wrong that a legislator was arrested for knocking on a door and faces charges with a potential 8 year sentence?

I'm slightly curious about the accusations that she "stomped" on the officer's foot three times. I cannot help but wonder if this was actually that she trod on his foot whilst she was being manhandled? Because I can't honestly see that someone seriously resisting arrest would use such an absurdly ineffective tactic, never mind that the video of them arresting her clearly do not show her resisting.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Skipping past the angle the article has, are the basic facts wrong that a legislator was arrested for knocking on a door and faces charges with a potential 8 year sentence?

I'm slightly curious about the accusations that she "stomped" on the officer's foot three times. I cannot help but wonder if this was actually that she trod on his foot whilst she was being manhandled? Because I can't honestly see that someone seriously resisting arrest would use such an absurdly ineffective tactic, never mind that the video of them arresting her clearly do not show her resisting.
I have no idea. But I can't trust what this article says happened.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Those facts are wrong. First, the "knocking to door" is the basic fact when you get rid of context, which is just as much a lie as adding false information. If I fed the homeless poisoned food, and then made a headline "man arrested for feeding the homeless", you wouldn't say the basic facts are right. She was knocking on the door with the intent of deliberately disrupting the processes of government. That isn't the same as "knock, knock, let me in".

Second, the potential 8 year sentence is actually factually incorrect, unless she has already been convicted of the same crimes in the past. 8 years is what you get when you add up the maximum possible sentence for the crimes she's accused of. That assumes the charge of hindering law enforcement is done as a felony, the charge of disrupting the general assembly is on a 3rd-time offender, a jury convicts on both charges, and the maximum sentence is picked for both. Assuming any of those things is being willfully ignorant, but the 8 is probably actually impossible, because they break down to a 5 and 3 year maximum sentences, and the 3-year only applies if you are convicted 3 or more times for disrupting the general assembly. So either she can't get 8 years on those charges no matter what, or she's got a messed up history already.

Regardless, the minimum combined sentence, assuming conviction, is a fine.

Edit: https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2010/title-16/chapter-11/article-2/16-11-34-1/

"(h)(1) Any person violating this Code section for the first time shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

(2) Any person violating this Code section for the second time shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of a high and aggravated nature.

(3) Any person violating this Code section for the third or any subsequent time shall be guilty of a felony and, upon conviction thereof, shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than one nor more than three years. "

That is the law they are pulling a maximum 3-year sentence out of, it requires 3 convictions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
She was knocking on the door with the intent of deliberately disrupting the processes of government. That isn't the same as "knock, knock, let me in".
It was a signing ceremony she was legally entitled to be present for. If you have to work this hard to get pissed off at her, it ain't worth it and you're wasting your own time.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
It was a signing ceremony she was legally entitled to be present for. If you have to work this hard to get pissed off at her, it ain't worth it and you're wasting your own time.
Do you have evidence she was legally entitled to be present for the bill signing?

Furthermore, do you have evidence her goal was even to be inside? She has stated the intention to "make sure that the voices of the voters in her district and around the state of Georgia were amplified." I'd hardly expect she wanted them to open the door so she could stand and watch. Disruption was the intention.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Do you have evidence she was legally entitled to be present for the bill signing?

Furthermore, do you have evidence her goal was even to be inside? She has stated the intention to "make sure that the voices of the voters in her district and around the state of Georgia were amplified." I'd hardly expect she wanted them to open the door so she could stand and watch. Disruption was the intention.
You would not demand this standard of evidence for a white man.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
You would not demand this standard of evidence for a white man.
So no, she's not entitled to be there, and you were making things up.
And this stopped someone signing a document how, precisely?

It strikes me as much less disruptive than storming a confidential committee. But I guess that's the privilege of power: laws are for the little people.
So first things first, I'm taking this as acceptance that you agree now that those "basic facts" are not factual.

Now, to acknowledge your point after that large sidestep here, yes it is less disruptive. One could argue your counter-example was more called for as it was legislators disrupting the legislative process, where this was a legislator disrupting the executive after the bill had already passed, but that's not really necessary to argue. Both were political theater. She wanted to be arrested. She went there to cause a stir, did it in front of police, was told to stop or be arrested, continued after being warned, got her photo-op being arrested, and made the story go viral. This whole thing is deliberate, just the same as that was, Republicans were basically demanding to be removed and charged with contempt. They wanted that photo op.

And like, we can talk about unequal application of laws after she gets anything more than a slap on the wrist.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
It's not a police state if the cops tell you to stop or else first

From CNN:

Cannon said as the House Democratic caucus secretary, “it has always been my job to take minutes and to be present to witness bill signings.”
“When we learned late in the hour, all of a sudden that this bill, SB 202, was being passed, it was important to be there to witness it and to get the information out, just like I always would,” she said.
Cannon faces two felony charges: felony obstruction and preventing or disrupting general assembly session, according to an arrest affidavit viewed by CNN.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
So first things first, I'm taking this as acceptance that you agree now that those "basic facts" are not factual.
Yes, she's probably wrong on the assumption she could get eight years. It's actually "only" five. The rest seems to be accurate.

Now, to acknowledge your point after that large sidestep here, yes it is less disruptive. One could argue your counter-example was more called for as it was legislators disrupting the legislative process, where this was a legislator disrupting the executive after the bill had already passed, but that's not really necessary to argue. Both were political theater. She wanted to be arrested. She went there to cause a stir, did it in front of police, was told to stop or be arrested, continued after being warned, got her photo-op being arrested, and made the story go viral. This whole thing is deliberate, just the same as that was, Republicans were basically demanding to be removed and charged with contempt. They wanted that photo op.

And like, we can talk about unequal application of laws after she gets anything more than a slap on the wrist.
It's not that you're wrong, but it fundamentally does reveal differences. Georgia is run by Republicans, for Republicans. The cops can feel happy to drag off a black woman Democrat - member of the legislature notwithstanding - because they know where the centre of power is in the state, and it's with her opponents. For all her status, she's still an outsider. A bunch of yahoos can dick around with a Federal committee without accountability because they are insiders and no-one has the power (or is willing to take the risk of exercising it) to do anything about them. The comparison of the two is a graphic example of disparity of power.

I suspect if the police have any sense, they'll drop the charges.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
It's almost as if US security forces have a bias towards republicans.

Think about it.

FBI, Border Patrol, ICE, state, and local police, capitol police. All have a bias towards right-wingers.