Georgia Rep. Park Cannon Speaks Out for First Time Since Arrest

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I don’t ever remember having to provide ID when I vote. It’s always just been my name, and my address. It gets crossed out on the electoral roll at the polling station and that was it.
Not a requirement in Australia, but makes it easier for the election officers to find you if you show your driver's licence or something. IIRC, one year, many years back, they mailed everyone something with their details on to show election officers to make things go faster, but it wasn't required.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Prove there's a problem with those before "fixing" something that isn't broken
Why? Does a system have to be broken to be updated or improved? Are elections uniquely immune to the opportunity for improvement over time?

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
There's a problem with the idea that because we don't catch many people committing a crime, that means it isn't being committed.
So much for innocent until proven guilty.

So a few dead from a faulty pharmaceutical wouldn't matter if it were to happen right?
People are dying because they're voting without ID?

Why? Does a system have to be broken to be updated or improved? Are elections uniquely immune to the opportunity for improvement over time?
Prove that what you're proposing is actually an improvement. Burden's on you for that one.

Reactions: TheMysteriousGX

Generals

Elite Member
May 19, 2020
You know, I can understand the desire for "voter ID's". Actually I think the US just needs a better ID system altogether. The problem though is that you don't start by imposing ID's specifically to go voting. First you need to implement a Federal ID which is mandatory to have regardless of whether you want to vote or not and than make that ID mandatory for voting. I have always been amazed by the US and its lack of decent identification cards. Over here you have a national ID you are legally obligated to have on you when you are in public spaces (to allow the police to formally identify you). That ID is also necessary for pretty much anything related with the state (changing your address, acquiring a driver's license, passport, ...) and even whn dealing with banks that ID will be necessary. So off course it is also necessary for voting. But as everyone needs to have it anyway you don't end up disenfranchising anyone.
So I would say that if you want to have tougher ID checks you first need to push for a mandatory federal ID.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Innocent until proven guilty is a legal standard in only specifically criminal cases. The presumption of innocence doesn't even extend to civil cases, more or less general government policy.
Prove that what you're proposing is actually an improvement. Burden's on you for that one.
Proof is too high a standard for this. You can't prove what will happen if you try something different, it's not logically possible. You can justify a change by what you think my happen: voter ID laws could present an additional barrier to fraud and increase people's confidence in elections, which seem to be reasonable goals. There's also the potential to speed up voting, rather than verifying someone's identity by cross-referencing information, which I think is a goal worth pursuing. You can test your hypothesis out at a smaller scale, and some states have voter ID, and the general consensus is that it had no statistically significant impact on voter turnout. None of this is proof of improvement, but it's potential improvement, which is worth consideration.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Innocent until proven guilty is a legal standard in only specifically criminal cases. The presumption of innocence doesn't even extend to civil cases, more or less general government policy.
Funny how many people forget that the instant a white guy stands accused of sex crimes, but that's another conversation. You're still assuming that a crime is taking place, but you have no evidence to point to.

Proof is too high a standard for this.
Nope. All you have to do is demonstrate a single election that was swayed by fraud. You can't, which is why you're bullshitting.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Nope. All you have to do is demonstrate a single election that was swayed by fraud. You can't, which is why you're bullshitting.
Ok, this one: https://www.northjersey.com/story/n...rges-paterson-nj-attorney-general/4577142001/

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
Ok, this one: https://www.northjersey.com/story/n...rges-paterson-nj-attorney-general/4577142001/
Jackson’s lawyer, Ted Kyles, said he has been asking the attorney general's office for discovery — or access to the alleged evidence and witnesses in the case against his client – for many months without getting the information.

“We don’t know what the specific allegations are, we don’t know who the potential witnesses are,” said Kyles. “That makes it very difficult to talk about the case.”
So much for evidence. If the best you can lead with is an allegation, not an actual proven case of election fraud effecting the outcome, then you don't have much of a case.

Last edited:

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
So much for evidence. If the best you can lead with is an allegation, not an actual proven case of election fraud effecting the outcome, then you don't have much of a case.
The election was thrown out and ordered to be redone.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
The election was thrown out and ordered to be redone.
But the actual allegations remain unproven. So you're still demanding I take this on faith. Sorry dude, but if that's the best you've got, your best isn't good enough.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
But the actual allegations remain unproven. So you're still demanding I take this on faith.
I guess my example was too current:

Agema will tell you, I'll go all the way back to Lyndon Johnson if you want.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA

If you have to go into examples that happened before I was born, then it clearly isn't a pressing concern. You lead with your best and it wasn't good enough. Take the L.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States

Voter id would not have prevented that crime.....

Reactions: TheMysteriousGX

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
If you have to go into examples that happened before I was born, then it clearly isn't a pressing concern. You lead with your best and it wasn't good enough. Take the L.
My link there is 2016. Are you 5 years old?

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020

People are dying because they're voting without ID?

No just an extreme example of the "Well it's not a big enough problem to try and prevent" idea.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Ironically, the GA law would allow the state senate to overthrow local elections officials without evidence, which in any other case *should* get "election security" advocates in a tizzy.

But they think the election was stolen, so they don't see the Massive Red Flag