Streets of Rage 4 Thread.

Smithnikov

Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
>>Retro Reveal Trailer

And they just had to play Go Forward to drive the acupuncture needle into my happy place power point...

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
I'm excited but at the same time cautious.

Streets of Rage II is one of my favourite games ever and yet I'm really not keen on the other two games. The Streets of Rage (fan) Remake is amazing technically but it just feels off to me, even with everything possible set to Sor2 mode.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm excited but at the same time cautious.

Streets of Rage II is one of my favorite games ever and yet I'm really not keen on the other two games. The Streets of Rage (fan) Remake is amazing technically but it just feels off to me, even with everything possible set to Sor2 mode.
SOR2 is my favorite, but I still love the other games. SOR1 I play for the music and atmosphere. 3 is not bad, but is absurdly difficult, contains stupid censorhip (except for Ash; badly gay stereotype), and is a mission pack sequel. If you play the Japanese version of 3, you're in for a better time. Though Bare Knuckle 3 is even easier than SOR1 or 2 on their hardest difficulty. I am not even close to cautious right now. Remake was fun and defintely had a lot of effort put in to it. Makes me wish Sega hired Bomber Games instead of throwing a Cease and Desist long after Remake was made. Which is weird, because Sega knew about it for years and did nothing until like 2014/15. Hell, they even seemingly encouraged Bomber Games to make the game in its early development cycle.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
I don't hate 1 and 3, they're just forgettable.

1 had awful collision detection/hitboxes and 3 feels like they took everything of 2 and made it a little bit worse. I've played the fan translated version of Bare Knuckle 3 and I'd still rather just play Streets of Rage 2. I've also played the uncensored version of SoR2 which restores the panty shots with Blaze to the English game but that's just a curiosity.

When it comes to Sega stopping the remake I can understand it. You have to protect your IPs or you lose them. Sega have always had the impression of being a nice guy for fan games but that is because the fan games released were also coming along official releases. I imagine that when Streets of Rage 4 actually got the greenlight they had to stamp down or potentially lose the property.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

1 had awful collision detection/hitboxes and 3 feels like they took everything of 2 and made it a little bit worse. I've played the fan translated version of Bare Knuckle 3 and I'd still rather just play Streets of Rage 2. I've also played the uncensored version of SoR2 which restores the panty shots with Blaze to the English game but that's just a curiosity.
I agree to some extent, but 1 and 3 I did not find forgettable. More so the first game. Yuzo's soundtrack, the intro, and the special clear all attack are the most memeborable things in this game. The stage design is average aside from stage 4 and 7. That said, all of the stages look colorful and are pleasing to the eye. Of course, 2 went above and beyond to improve all of the features. SOR1 is still better than Final Fight (SNES version only) & Final Fight 2 & 3.

When it comes to Sega stopping the remake I can understand it. You have to protect your IPs or you lose them. Sega have always had the impression of being a nice guy for fan games but that is because the fan games released were also coming along official releases. I imagine that when Streets of Rage 4 actually got the greenlight they had to stamp down or potentially lose the property.
Still a dick move. They could have hired them like they did with the Sonic fans with Mania. It's not exactly like the case with RE2 Remake (though similar in certain cirumstances). When fans were trying to remake RE2 with the Umbrella/Darkside Chronicles assets and engine. At least Capcom was a bit more polite about it. And the guys who did that decided to take their resources and make a new game called Daymare. Which is RE2 in all but name.

SOR4 did not get announced until last summer. The cease and desist order came in around 2015. They could not have started the concept phase until around 2016, with per-production not coming in until 2018. That's just my theory though. Also, you can still find the game on many sharing sites, so the cease and desist did not much at all. Not to mention, there was another fan SOR game that came out earlier in 2019. it's called Streets of Rage 2X for those curious. I am not going to fret over it, as what is done is done.

Reactions: votemarvel

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Last edited:

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I've already got it on my wishlist since I have a huge weakness for beat'em ups. If you want something to keep you tied over till this comes out then checkout Fight'n Rage. It's probably one of the best beat'em ups I've ever played.

Smithnikov

Legacy
Apr 4, 2020

Makes me glad I got my copy and all the fan levels before that happens. Streets of Remake really was a perfect love letter in every way to the franchise, with pretty much all the good stuff from each entry without the baggage.

Though I agree, SoR 2 was easily the most polished and balanced of the bunch.

Smithnikov

Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
I've already got it on my wishlist since I have a huge weakness for beat'em ups. If you want something to keep you tied over till this comes out then checkout Fight'n Rage. It's probably one of the best beat'em ups I've ever played.
Fight N Rage is an odd duck for me. On the one hand, I adore the gameplay of it and the combat system being both challenging but quickly instinctive once you got a grip on your character's flow. I don't muster up much will to play it, though, because I really don't like it's aesthetic. Strictly personal taste, that one. I'd still heartily reccomend any beat em fan give it a go.

And speaking of tide you over B'mups, have you tried The Takeover? It's pretty much an SoR tribute in and of it'self and has pretty solid gameplay.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I liked Fight N' Rage, but I prefer the combat in The TakeOver. FNR's stages drag on for too long, and some of the checkpoints suck. Especially in the final stage.

And speaking of tide you over B'mups, have you tried The Takeover? It's pretty much an SoR tribute in and of it'self and has pretty solid gameplay.
Been playing this to fill the void. That, or older arcade brawlers. I'll throw in my own recommendation:

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I liked Fight N' Rage, but I prefer the combat in The TakeOver. FNR's stages drag on for too long, and some of the checkpoints suck. Especially in the final stage.
No argument there, I still managed but yeah, you are totally right about that.

Smithnikov

Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Been playing this to fill the void. That, or older arcade brawlers. I'll throw in my own recommendation:
I MAME'd Violent Storm, though it's gameplay superior to Crime Fighters and Vendetta, I got just a bit more satisfaction out of Vendetta. Go fig.

and gawd I WANT to play Ninja Warriors Again, but I've no Switch. Alas.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I MAME'd Violent Storm, though it's gameplay superior to Crime Fighters and Vendetta, I got just a bit more satisfaction out of Vendetta. Go fig.

and gawd I WANT to play Ninja Warriors Again, but I've no Switch. Alas.
You can buy Ninja Warriors Once Again on PS4 too.

Vendetta can definitely more fun to play because of the weapons. And all the interactive elements are the best I've ever seen in a 2d beat em up. though I still prefer violent storm, because it has way more moves you can pull off. Similar to Ninja Baseball Batman and Undercover Cops.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The release date is April 30th. I repeat the release date is April 30th!

Why do the games I want to play keep coming out on the week of or just a day before I go on call? I saw it coming too.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Here's a Yuzo Koshiro concert from 2018 as a little celebration.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Some more articles if you're interested. I'd give them a good read.

The first review is up!

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
I used to play tons of Streets of Rage 2 on my PC back when I was in high school(around 2001-2004).

Just to give you an idea of how much I loved that game, I didn't own a controller for PC back then so I had to play it exclusively with the keyboard.

To say I'm looking forward to this game is a massive understatement.