Any thoughts on that live action Powerpuff Girls T.V. show?

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
They're never going to match the episode with a dysfunctional family next door. The one where the husband, Harold, wants to be a super villain. Can't recall the episode name or season/episode number.

But it's been asked, "who is this for?" My kids, who watched when little, are through college now. Not for them. Certainly not for this old guy.

Really odd.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Buttercup was lesbian (itself already a bit shaky)
Um, how though? I don't recall any of the girls being into romance in any incarnation, with the exception of Blossom and Jared in the reboot. If anything, Buttercup has the most basis for that since she was the least eager to kiss the Rowdyruff Boys in season 1 of the original series (then again, she has a crush on the Gangrene Gang's leader in the same season, so...)

I mean if only some brilliant and stunningly handsome guy said it was a bad idea to cast three actresses who look nothing alike as genetic triplets, and that it was gonna be a bad idea to make Buttercup a lesbian who gets abused at a frat party. If only...
Are we really questioning the genetics of girls made out of sugar, spice, and everything nice?

Anyone watched the teen titan live action? Did that turn out good? (yes I'm being sarcastic)
Good enough (I assume) that it's on its third season IIRC.

I watched season 1, and really didn't like it, but not necessarily for the reasons why people were hating on it from the moment Robin said "fuck Batman" in the trailer. It's not so much that it's "dark and gritty" (I mean, it is, and it's stupid for it), but rather that even if it wasn't, little about it 'works.' It's insane, and it knows it's insane, but it's not a fun kind of insane. Doesn't help that the level of character development is uneven (Raven gets the most), but also that Robin has no reason to be there. I mean, we have demon girl, green animal boy, alien woman with magic powers, and, um...a guy who knows martial arts?

Sure, whatever.

I'll just post what I said in my discord group chat over this cause I'm lazy.

They seem so incredibly in love with the Powerpuff Girls being women that every script leak has shown "Hey, remember the Powerpuff GIRLS? Aren't they AWESOME and perfect FEMALE ROLE MODELS?! Aren't they feminist ICONS for being POWERFUL WOMEN?" Like, beat us over the head with it harder why don't ya. Not like we can't figure that shit out ourselves or anything
I swear to God, it's like the more people try to put female characters on pedastals as role models, the worse the characters become.

I'm not really a PPG fan, but in the original, the gender of the girls was, as far as I recall, a non-issue. It came up once (when they need to kiss the Rowdyruff Boys to defeat them), but apart from that, nothing in the show or outside it really put the girls as "strong female characters" or whatever else.

Then you get the 2016 reboot, which, while it does actually do some things better than the original, makes bizzare choices like removing Miss Bellum because of not being a good role model, despite the fact that Miss Bellum is the only reason Townsville can function. I mean, the joke's at the mayor's expense, not hers.

And, look, it's not like there isn't actual misogeny out there towards female characters (take the Ghostbusters 2016 furore for example), nor is there any shortage of female characters who've been little more than trophies or background dressing, but it seems like such a backwards take to go down the "strong female character" role when I'd argue the best female characters in fiction were ones who were strong (as in, from a character depth standpoint), and didn't need writers/producers telling us as such.

They're never going to match the episode with a dysfunctional family next door. The one where the husband, Harold, wants to be a super villain. Can't recall the episode name or season/episode number.
It's in season 2, I know that much (I'm making my way through season 2 now).

I can't say I'm that fond of it. It works well up to the end, then everthing just...stops. It's actually kind of a problem I've noticed with season 2 as a whole.

Then again, like I said, not much of a PPG fan. You can see my reviews of season 1 of the original and season 1 of the reboot in the TV thread for explanations as to why.

Reactions: gorfias

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
I haven't read the new scripts, but let me guess:

It's devoid of humour, needlessly angsty, has egregious amounts of high school/college drama, downplays all the goofier/cartoonier elements and characters, has a lot of "teen talk" that was obviously written by middle aged people and has a lot of excuses not to have any too expensive action scenes.

Did I get it right?

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
I swear to God, it's like the more people try to put female characters on pedastals as role models, the worse the characters become.

I'm not really a PPG fan, but in the original, the gender of the girls was, as far as I recall, a non-issue. It came up once (when they need to kiss the Rowdyruff Boys to defeat them), but apart from that, nothing in the show or outside it really put the girls as "strong female characters" or whatever else.

... It seems like such a backwards take to go down the "strong female character" role when I'd argue the best female characters in fiction were ones who were strong (as in, from a character depth standpoint), and didn't need writers/producers telling us as such.
It stinks of the people making this shite being extremely out of touch of the source material overall. They're too concerned about making their idea more "real" without even considering how bad it'd end up. It also feels highly insecure as well

Reactions: BrawlMan

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012

It's devoid of humour, needlessly angsty, has egregious amounts of high school/college drama, downplays all the goofier/cartoonier elements and characters, has a lot of "teen talk" that was obviously written by middle aged people and has a lot of excuses not to have any too expensive action scenes.

Did I get it right?
FB_IMG_1621800224929.jpg

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States

Did I get it right?
It was also absolutely Riverdale bonkers.

I expect that, like Riverdale, if you want to experience what drugs are like but stay sober it would have been a great watch

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Um, how though? I don't recall any of the girls being into romance in any incarnation, with the exception of Blossom and Jared in the reboot. If anything, Buttercup has the most basis for that since she was the least eager to kiss the Rowdyruff Boys in season 1 of the original series (then again, she has a crush on the Gangrene Gang's leader in the same season, so...)
Buttercup also had a crush on one of the Gang Green Gang members in an episode of the original show though.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Buttercup also had a crush on one of the Gang Green Gang members in an episode of the original show though.
As I stated in the very post you quoted.

Point is, "Buttercup is a lesbian?!" is a non-issue. Or at least, it should be. In the same pilot, Bubbles is in an on-off relationship with a male character (Butch, according to some sources), and no-one's raised an eyebrow there, but Buttercup likes girls? Ohh, the horror...

Did I get it right?
Yep.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA

Point is, "Buttercup is a lesbian?!" is a non-issue. Or at least, it should be. In the same pilot, Bubbles is in an on-off relationship with a male character (Butch, according to some sources), and no-one's raised an eyebrow there, but Buttercup likes girls? Ohh, the horror...

Yep.

I was just correcting you on the point of there being no romantic experience for any of the girls in the original series.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011

Making the tomboy a lesbian perpetuates stereotypes about both, though.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Making the tomboy a lesbian perpetuates stereotypes about both, though.
I guess, but I'm not fond of this argument - that if something is a stereotype, you should avoid anything that could resemble the stereotype.

Even then, Buttercup being a lesbian is a storm in a teacup IMO.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Both Specter and Psychedelic are correct on why I thought picking Buttercup specifically was "a bit shaky". If it had been done well, it would have just been an eyeroll at best from me, though. "Oh, of course the tomboy is the one they pick to be the gay one of the trio." type of thing. Eyeroll, and then move on past it.

However, that is giving this script too much credit. To go into a bit more detail, when I said that the WAY they were going to reveal Buttercup's orientation was tactless, this is what I meant. It was going to be revealed by Blossom and Bubbles walking in on her in bed. With a woman she picked up in a bar.

Oh, and this is a direct quote from Buttercup from the script: "I'm not wearing that dress anymore. It's compulsory heterosexuality."

In short, my issue isn't with them making Buttercup, or any of the girls, lesbian. It's the way that they did it, and picking the tomboy of the group is a symptom of that thinking.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
"Live action Powerpuff girls"
View attachment 3841
People probably thought the same with Comic Book Superheroes in live action.

But then again, at least Superman as seen in Comics has an art style that seems realistic that it would be double as live action.

Powerpuff Girls looks nothing like normal. The whole cartoon is just far too "CARTOONY" to be live action. Especially with Characters like Fuzzy Lumpkins.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler