Any thoughts on that live action Powerpuff Girls T.V. show?

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
So, I wasn't going to bring the topic up but now people that posted the supposedly leaked script are now being hit with copyright claims so it's looking like the script was legit and... oof.

Excalibur B&W.jpg

I'm not posting it here because of those copyright take downs but it shouldn't be too hard for anyone to find it if they look it up.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
That script legitimately angered me. It's an insult to PPG fans (quite literally, at times), and the way they were planning to reveal that Buttercup was lesbian (itself already a bit shaky) was so freaking tactless I was almost in shock. The biggest insult is that one of the script writers, Diablo Cody, is quite capable as a writer, with one of her biggest strengths being able to write characters who talk like actual people, so the flat-out terrible script is baffling coming from her pen.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
Having only just now learned about its existence and not watched all that many episodes of the original (and none of the reboot/revival) I can say that I think it is a catastrophically bad idea. One only slightly better than a land invasion of Russia in the middle of winter wearing gear suitable for jungles because I feel like their will be fewer casualties when the dust settles.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Even before the script leak, which I have not read or seen at all, I still have no investment toward this live action adoption. As far as I'm concerned, there is only one Powerpuff Girls show.

Last edited:

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Cody is incredibly hit and miss for me. Juno is probably the best movie about being a teenager there is but here other writing credits are either mediocre TV movies or decent concepts with flawed execution. She's really strong in dialogue and concepts (Jennifer's Body is a shit movie, but the idea itself and the themes in it are great) but struggles to actually make something good with the actual story.
True. It just feels like even that strength of concepts and dialogue are completely missing. It's like they brought in a second writer not to cover her weaknesses, but obscure her strengths.

Reactions: gorfias

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Remember Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt, that anime that had art style like powerpuff girls but was about two girls having lots of sex? Apparently they knew something we didn't even back like a decade ago.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
The script is a thing to behold

For those that want's to hear something in the background while playing a game

And yes, Buttercup is a Black Lesbian Tomboy that apparently regularly cheats on all of her partners and has lines like this:

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
That script legitimately angered me. It's an insult to PPG fans (quite literally, at times), and the way they were planning to reveal that Buttercup was lesbian (itself already a bit shaky) was so freaking tactless I was almost in shock.
...Because that's totally not playing off stereotypes as progressive representation, amirite?

Fun reminder: While today the concept of a "tomboy" is largely normalized and innocuous in its meaning of a girl who is not traditionally feminine, in the early 20th century the term also came packaged with strong implications about sexuality. That the girl was not traditionally feminine was seen as a tell that the girl was in fact a lesbian, specifically of the 'butch' variety, much like how a boy with "effeminate" interests (eg, cooking, sewing, dance, sometimes theater...) would be assumed to be gay.

This is not to say that a rough-and-tumble girl cannot be depicted as lesbian, but it feels disingenuous and a bit insulting when such a character is reimagined as such. Yes, it gives some LGBT presence in the media, but in so doing it's effectively flattening the character into a stereotype, which feels very much like trading one problem for a worse one.

Last edited:

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I mean if only some brilliant and stunningly handsome guy said it was a bad idea to cast three actresses who look nothing alike as genetic triplets, and that it was gonna be a bad idea to make Buttercup a lesbian who gets abused at a frat party. If only...

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
I mean if only some brilliant and stunningly handsome guy said it was a bad idea to cast three actresses who look nothing alike as genetic triplets, and that it was gonna be a bad idea to make Buttercup a lesbian who gets abused at a frat party. If only...
They were created in a lab accident. How are they genetic triplets?

Reactions: Hawki and gorfias

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Zero interest. My crystal ball tells me its riverdale reskinned and called powerpuff girls or something similar.

They have interesting creative talent behind the "development", but you need to take that with a grain of salt. That could literally be just to generate hype. I kid you not studios often bring surprising names to "develop" pilots and scripts and then turn around and hire Kamino plot cloners like JJ abrams to actually film.

If you take a look at the IMDB page the production studio is the same old CW shit factory

So yeah maybe the Juno lady "helps" develop a pilot that may never air, but the most likely scenario is Riverdale reskinned or maybe worse The Flash.

This is CW. Curb your enthusiasm. This is going to be about as edgy as it will be true to the source material. Its gonna be a 3 day old wet bagel.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Zero interest. My crystal ball tells me its riverdale reskinned and called powerpuff girls or something similar.

They have interesting creative talent behind the "development", but you need to take that with a grain of salt. That could literally be just to generate hype. I kid you not studios often bring surprising names to "develop" pilots and scripts and then turn around and hire Kamino plot cloners like JJ abrams to actually film.

If you take a look at the IMDB page the production studio is the same old CW shit factory

So yeah maybe the Juno lady "helps" develop a pilot that may never air, but the most likely scenario is Riverdale reskinned or maybe worse The Flash.

This is CW. Curb your enthusiasm. This is going to be about as edgy as it will be true to the source material. Its gonna be a 3 day old wet bagel.
Wasn't Riverdale and The Flash popular? It's not like they didn't change Smallville and Arrow lots as well...

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Anyone watched the teen titan live action? Did that turn out good? (yes I'm being sarcastic)

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
I'll just post what I said in my discord group chat over this cause I'm lazy.

They seem so incredibly in love with the Powerpuff Girls being women that every script leak has shown "Hey, remember the Powerpuff GIRLS? Aren't they AWESOME and perfect FEMALE ROLE MODELS?! Aren't they feminist ICONS for being POWERFUL WOMEN?" Like, beat us over the head with it harder why don't ya. Not like we can't figure that shit out ourselves or anything

Reactions: Hawki and gorfias