Nintendo's worst mistakes.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Speak for yourself. Tell that to the highly confused parents, uncles, aunts, or grandparents and great-grandparents
Very well. What would you call it? I struggle to think of a name that can more embody the fact that it is a new version of an already existing product than adding the word "New" ahead of it. The Nintendo Switch with an OLED screen got called Nintendo Switch OLED; my reaction is basically "What's OLED?" and I hang on gaming forums.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The Nintendo Switch with an OLED screen got called Nintendo Switch OLED; my reaction is basically "What's OLED?" and I hang on gaming forums.
At least it's something unique and not lazy, name confusing, no one was asking for. OLED is at least simple, to the point without being confusing, and looks different from the standard Switch models.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
1. Ehhhh Textures are debatable, to me I think N64 edges out the competition of the time
The N64 was more powerful than the PlayStation, so N64 games could have 3D objects with more polygons, and render more of them at once. Cartridge read times were also a lot faster, which in conjunction with the greater processing power allowed for the creation of very large environments and didn't penalise putting in loading zones. However, the Playstation used CDs, which had a lot more memory than a cartridge. This meant Playstation games could have higher resolution textures, more unique 3D objects per game, higher quality audio and more unique audio tracks (including dialogue), longer games, and pre-rendered video.

So, a hypothetical N64 that used CDs wouldn't be able to load such big environments, but would retain its high polygon count and also gain all the advantages of CD storage.

Reactions: BrawlMan