Nintendo's worst mistakes.

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Nintendo is a very successful business, and gaming wouldn't be the same without them. Unfortunately, they've had their share of missteps.

What do you consider the worst decisions Nintendo have ever made? My pick would be sticking with cartridges for the N64, causing them to lose third party support.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
- Cartridges on the N64 sacrificed textures and music for good load times, which was a poor trade off.
- The Virtual Boy should never have seen the light of day.
- Not putting a DVD player in the GameCube.
- Calling the Wii U the Wii U.
- Making the Wii U have the tablet controller.
- Pissing off Sony so much they decided to make the PlayStation.

And finally something that didn't hurt sales but irks me to this day:
- Not making the screen in the Game Boy Advance backlit

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Not putting a DVD player in the GameCube
There was a special GC released in 2003 that did play DVDs, but it was Japanese only, did not play that many of them, and looked like shit.

- Not making the screen in the Game Boy Advance backlit
GBA SP fixed that problem. This has always been a Nintendo problem: the first models are glorified prototypes. They did the same thing with og Gameboys, and so on with DS and 3DS.

Cancelling Project HAMMER. They could have had a great game in the launch line up, but cancelled the game due to nationalism and petty politics.

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
The reason I say sticking with cartridges is the worst mistake Nintendo made and not breaking the SNES CD add-on deal with Sony is because if Nintendo had chosen to use CDs for the N64, they likely would have kept more third parties and beaten the Playstation, or at least not have lost as badly.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
There was a special GC released in 2003 that did play DVDs, but it was Japanese only, did not play that many of them, and looked like shit.
For a moment I thought you were calling my Panasonic Q ugly. DVD playback you can criticize for sure, but that chrome-plated machine is a beauty built for trophy cases.

OT: Wii Music.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Rather heavy censorship on their games early on, ended up costing them with Mortal Kombat, although they about faced with MK2. That weird nintendo creators program where they would dmca any vid that wasn't from someone who was a member.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Rather heavy censorship on their games early on, ended up costing them with Mortal Kombat, although they about faced with MK2. That weird nintendo creators program where they would dmca any vid that wasn't from someone who was a member.
Angry Joe went nuts on Big N and called them out the most for it. He refused to buy any Nintendo games from now on after that event. It was one of the few times where he was completely in the right. Certain people (mostly blind Nintendo fans) called Joe childish for it, but I don't blame him. I remember somebody on the TV tropes dethroning moment of sub page, made a complaint about it. Joe had every right to voice hiss complaints and not join the membership. That's called strong arming content creators into doing whatever you want for petty reasons and taking their actual money. All they're doing is reviewing and promoting the game. Yet you punished them for not being part of your precious membership. You didn't even see EA or Activision pull crap off like that. If they pull that off, there would have been way more backlash and more criticism.

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Angry Joe went nuts on Big N and called them out the most for it. He refused to buy any Nintendo games from now on after that event. It was one of the few times where he was completely in the right. Certain people (mostly blind Nintendo fans) called Joe childish for it, but I don't blame him. I remember somebody on the TV tropes dethroning moment of sub page, made a complaint about it. Joe had every right to voice hiss complaints and not join the membership. That's called strong arming content creators into doing whatever you want for petty reasons and taking their actual money. All they're doing is reviewing and promoting the game. Yet you punished them for not being part of your precious membership. You didn't even see EA or Activision pull crap off like that. If they pull that off, there would have been way more backlash and more criticism.
Nintendo got plenty of criticism for their Creator Program.

I don't know where this idea that Nintendo "gets a free pass" for their bad business decisions comes from, unless you just aren't paying attention. Nintendo gets criticized for their business decisions all the time.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
don't know where this idea that Nintendo "gets a free pass" for their bad business decisions comes from,
You would know if you bothered look at the patterns and the signs from past events. Yes, there was more criticisms from this particular situation on all sides, but they were still people trying to act like Nintendo did nothing wrong or trying to downplay it. Not as many as the usual, but still a good amount.

Last edited:

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I think there were other creators who did that also. I've been confused about Game Grumps since I think they still kept doing Nintendo stuff, but I can't see them being willing to throw away income like that.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I think there were other creators who did that also. I've been confused about Game Grumps since I think they still kept doing Nintendo stuff, but I can't see them being willing to throw away income like that.
I don't deny other creators had a problem with it, but Joe got the most shit for it. I don't know any other constant creator that did other than him around that time. All the other ones were either met with approval or indifference in most cases. Ask for game grumps, I can't speak for them, but I lost interest in them only after a year and a half. Also Aaron has some really weird and out their opinions that he takes qnd spouts as absolute facts. I'm sure he's probably calmed down at some point, but I'm still not interested in this channel.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I don't deny other creators had a problem with it, but Joe got the most shit for it. I don't know any other constant creator that did other than him around that time. All the other ones were either met with approval or indifference in most cases. Ask for game grumps, I can't speak for them, but I lost interest in them only after a year and a half. Also Aaron has some really weird and out their opinions that he takes qnd spouts as absolute facts. I'm sure he's probably calmed down at some point, but I'm still not interested in this channel.
Like what? I know that jontron has some... problematic opinions but I haven't heard much from Aaron.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Like what? I know that jontron has some... problematic opinions but I haven't heard much from Aaron.
While nothing to the extent of Jontron, Aaron had his moments. Plus, this is we kind of started getting full of himself. Them ignoring outright tutorials or instructions explaining the game, and then blaming the game (for not telling them) when they know it was their fault.

I don't remember everything, I just know I didn't like it and I got bored of him.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
While nothing to the extent of Jontron, Aaron had his moments. Plus, this is we kind of started getting full of himself. Them ignoring outright tutorials or instructions explaining the game, and then blaming the game (for not telling them) when they know it was their fault.

I don't remember everything, I just know I didn't like it and I got bored of him.
Aaron has always been kinda full of himself, thats kinda one of his things. Plus them not knowing the game has always been somewhat of an audience joke.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
The Power Glove. Advertised as the next big gaming peripheral, it was very clumsy and ineffective. I ended up using mine as as toy running around the yard in superhero pretend-play. Kudos for trying, and they eventually nailed it with the Wii, but it fucking sucked. Simpler times, I guess.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
I would put the worst misstep down to how they dealt with the internet in the early days. That's not to say I think Sony or Microsoft did particularly well out of the gate, but Nintendo seems to have started by ignoring it, then pretending it didn't really matter, to suddenly embracing it but only halfway with limited online functionality compared to everyone else at that stage, to then having a huge amount of friction with content creators.

It just feels like as a company they don't know what to do with the internet and at this stage of the game most companies have integrated internet services/engagement that isn't perfect but is typically functional. I wouldn't see anything wrong with Nintendo basically saying "we use the internet to distribute digital games, and we have certain specific games that allow multiplayer, and that's it", but they seem insistent on keeping up with the Joneses in spite of not really having a plan or a will to follow through with a lot of stuff.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
The whole copyright situation over Youtube
Hating every fan-made games
Not reviving certain franchises despite being referenced in other games (F-Zero, Golden Sun, etc)
Pokemon Sword & Shield
Not doing the Zelda Oracle games remake....yet
Shitty online network support
Mobile games w/ MTX
Small number of WII U exlcusive, and even smaller number of games that fully utilized WII U features

Last edited:

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Aaron has always been kinda full of himself, thats kinda one of his things. Plus them not knowing the game has always been somewhat of an audience joke.
A joke I feel came up far, far too often that it lost any novelty pretty quick. Even Arin knew that people commented on his faults when it came to listening to the game/its tutorials, and he knew he was deliberately just ignoring things in the game and being a bit of a dumbass, but seemingly made little effort to improve despite that fact

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I don't care if it's always been one of his things. It's not charming and it loses novelty when done over and over and over again with little subversion or subtlety. That's why I didn't hang around him too long. And hearing bad things afterwards was doing nothing for me. I'm glad I moved on a better people that know how to make good content and not act like egotistical jackasses.

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
The second reason I say that Nintendo sticking with cartridges was Nintendo's worst mistake is because Final Fantasy VII was originally going to be on the N64, but because of Nintendo's decision to stick with cartridges, Square jumped ship to Sony, where FFVII became a killer app for the PS1.