Choo choo! All aboard the Complain Train!

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I use sheet music the way one might use notes to study for a test, but to perform? Not happening. I learn a piece, throw the sheets away, and play from memory.
That's what I do too, but it makes learning new songs painful as I don't really have any natural talent to speak of.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

hanselthecaretaker2

Flask restoration in progress
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Thanks to previous generations’ bad judgment and leaving a shitshow for whoever follows I guess -

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
This morning I decided to make a pot of proper coffee. Put the coffee in the cafetiere, poured in the water and gave it a little stir, heard a tink, then watched dumbfounded as all the coffee poured out of the small hole that now graces the cafetiere onto the (carpeted) kitchen floor. FFS

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
This morning I decided to make a pot of proper coffee. Put the coffee in the cafetiere, poured in the water and gave it a little stir, heard a tink, then watched dumbfounded as all the coffee poured out of the small hole that now graces the cafetiere onto the (carpeted) kitchen floor. FFS
What kind of disgusting animal has a carpeted kitchen? That's almost as bad as a carpeted bathroom.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
What kind of disgusting animal has a carpeted kitchen? That's almost as bad as a carpeted bathroom.
It was carpeted when I bought it, so I'd say the 90+ year old woman that lived here before us. Pretty sure the bathroom was carpeted as well but got that removed and lino'd

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
It was carpeted when I bought it, so I'd say the 90+ year old woman that lived here before us. Pretty sure the bathroom was carpeted as well but got that removed and lino'd
I legitimately would rather slip and die than live with a carpeted kitchen. That old woman had no shame. Disgusting.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
I legitimately would rather slip and die than live with a carpeted kitchen. That old woman had no shame. Disgusting.
Here's a photo for reference. Unfortunately I think the missus will not only moan that I broke her cafetiere, but also step up her campaign for me to redo the kitchen now... Although the carpet is so old and brown that it probably won't make much difference...

IMG_20240317_082010523.jpg

Last edited:

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Youtube is running like it's one a fucking calculator right now. My PC may be old, but every other video site is running fine. Don't know if this is due to adblock that I've heard rumors about youtube is making the site run slow if it detects it.

hanselthecaretaker2

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Is this a formal complaint, or does it just bug you…?

Anyways, the district of town where I work is currently in a “BOIL WATER ADVISORY” because a water main broke yesterday. The frustration is compounded: The notice that everything one normally does involving water can’t be done unless it is boiled first. This includes washing dishes, but it says nothing about how the F we’re supposed to wash our hands. I mean, if dishes are “contaminated” after washing them, then would whatever we put in our hands (like food, medication, etc.) also be after washing them?

I just took a few Advil, and I plan on eating leftover pizza soon. I guess I should be extra cautious and douse my hands with isopropyl alcohol spray, even though finding out via COVID times that I get skin irritation if I touch any other part of me with alcoholic hands afterwards. Especially around my neck. I also don’t really want to waste bottled water rinsing it off. Hope this shite gets fixed soon.

Three cheers for being at the mercy of modern civilization utilities I guess. Ugh.

Last edited:
Reactions: gorfias

hanselthecaretaker2

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Sight reading sheet music is so bloody hard! I've been playing the piano off and on (mostly off) for most of my life but I just really suck at reading sheet music and am making an effort to get better but it's frustrating. I can do stuff that's so beginner that they aren't even really songs at a slow speed and still make mistakes because I keep forgetting to read ahead of where I'm playing. I'm fine when I'm just doing one hand at a time but I've only got one brain, how am I supposed to read two different sets of notes while I'm playing another two I've already read and trying to keep time.
Sight reading is beyond me. Piano, as far as really learning it beyond the most basic terms is something I didn’t grasp until I was pretty much in college. I learned to read music from being in school band for seven years, but never ventured much into piano to really take the time to learn it even though we always had one at home. At some point all those nice grands in the music building drew me in and I bought some sheet music books of stuff I knew mostly from ear and wanted to play that seemed manageable. November Rain was one of the first, then a couple other GnR songs, some Coldplay, then Billy Joel. I’d read clumsily through until it was committed to memory and then go from there. I can pick out key signatures and melodies generally but the way piano chords are heard in a song can be deceiving. I’ve always had to look through the sheets to be sure.

I wished I’d gotten into the fundamentals more firstly as they will always be more beneficial in the long run. Five finger patterns, major and minor scales, triads, learning arpeggios effectively, Hanon and syncopation exercises, etc. Hell now there’s apps that probably make it easier. The key is to start slowly because the whole learning to walk before running holds indubitably true with any instrument.

Reactions: Drathnoxis