Your video game hot take(s) thread

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Oh look another thread where someone AHKCHOOLLIES me by explaining that you can do something I said you can't but only if it's followed by a bunch of impractical conditions. Cool.
Your initial claim was that you can't build a PC that rivals a PS5 or Xbox period, without literally resorting to stealing.

lol no you can't buy/build a PC that rivals a current-gen PlayStation or XBox, not if you're building a scratch and not if you're using legal means to acquire parts
I pointed out that it's entirely possible to build a PC that rivals a PS5 for close to the cost of a PS5, with no stealing involved. Of course it's not as "practical" as just going to the store and grabbing a PS5 off a shelf, but literally nothing regarding building a PC is "practical" in comparison to buying something that's pre-built. That's literally a part of what people enjoy about building a PC. It's like saying that building a kit car is "impractical" in comparison to just buying a Toyota corolla because they both have 4 wheels and will get you to your destination.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Or doing that thing where first it's a boss fight then you fight the same thing later but it's not a boss fight it's a "regular" enemy and I guess the idea is that you feel so strong but really it's just a way to re-use things.
Or the three different asylum demons in Dark Souls
We call that the Degraded Boss.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Here's some long term hot take game predictions.

The following games will be great:
GTA 6
Elder Scrolls 6

and then in like 5 years we're gonna see the same mutterings about Bethesda that we've been seeing about EA- that they're actually kinda good now.

The following games will suck:
Judas
The Witcher 4

too much time, too many expectations, too much turnaround. Judas especially has this social media mechanic that is Ken Levine airing out his "old man yells at twitter" issues on top of his already unhealthy obsession with Ayn Rand. And TW4 will come out in like 10 years and I just can't believe they'll catch that kind of magic again. Also I'm afraid it's gonna be Sekiro-but-shit combat since they're starting to build it now when that is the accepted way. TW4 will have to actually focus on good combat and gameplay this time they can't just float on "but it has great story and characters" any more, and "good combat" means wait a psychological eternity for the enemy to swing at you behind a red dot.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The following games will be great:
GTA 6
Elder Scrolls 6
That's really not a hot take for either; especially GTA6. ES6 you're gonna get your people who love it, get disappointed after the hype dies down, or people will complain it's another Bethesda game, while the hyper fans will defend the shit out of it. Rinse and repeat. ES6 will sell fine and nothing changes.

Judas
The Witcher 4

too much time, too many expectations, too much turnaround. Judas especially has this social media mechanic that is Ken Levine airing out his "old man yells at twitter" issues on top of his already unhealthy obsession with Ayn Rand. And TW4 will come out in like 10 years and I just can't believe they'll catch that kind of magic again. Also I'm afraid it's gonna be Sekiro-but-shit combat since they're starting to build it now when that is the accepted way. TW4 will have to actually focus on good combat and gameplay this time they can't just float on "but it has great story and characters" any more, and "good combat" means wait a psychological eternity for the enemy to swing at you behind a red dot.
Judas reception will more than likely be average, as it's literally just going to be Bioshock, but in space. I'm not getting it either way. TW4 is way too soon tell what's going to happen. I am not a Witcher fan, and I can already tell you Sekiro won't even on CDPRJKT's radar when making this game.

Masonicon

Legacy
Apr 14, 2011
Country
Indonesia
Five Night at Freddy's are my least favorite game franchise, and Klik n Play was the game engine I'm familiar with most(cuz I mess with in my childhood, even when back when I was younger KnP are it's demo version instead of full version)

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
If you’re looking for anything specific gear-wise, just go to Fextralife. You can search any item in the game and it’ll often link to video locations of the player finding the item. I just did this the other night actually because I forgot where some of the ritual pots were, and one of the player messages nearby inadvertently led me to a hidden room I never found before in the Academy.
Oh, I've already got Fextralife in my bookmarks; I'm complaining mostly about videos that call themselves "walkthroughs," then it's just some dude silently wandering around an empty/looted dungeon who stops at an empty corpse while text pops up to indicate *this* is where you'll find a Grave Glovewort [3], or some kid who's already killed all the enemies, and turns a corner and says "this is where you'll get ambushed by "some enemies;" so be careful." They should call those "coach-throughs," similar to how some 50-year-old man stands on the sidelines pointing at a playbook to tell the active players how to play the game without actually having to SHOW them how to do it.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker2

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
> t works in games like DMC 1, DMC3, or even Resident Evil 5, because you're either fighting in new areas, the boss has new moves, or each form is completely different from the last, or All the above

Yeah that's also kind of like most action games, repeating boss fights. Or doing that thing where first it's a boss fight then you fight the same thing later but it's not a boss fight it's a "regular" enemy and I guess the idea is that you feel so strong but really it's just a way to re-use things.
Or the three different asylum demons in Dark Souls
"AHKCHOOLLY" (lol) I'm strictly devil's advocating here, but repeated bosses/reused assets aren't always a bad thing. You could easily argue that it makes sense.

I'll use the infamous Asylum/Stray/Firesage Demon complaint. Yes, we can throw the dev laziness out there, but in reality, it makes sense that similar beings might exist in similar capacities in-world. If anything, it makes LESS sense to have the world littered with completely unique enemies, like, aren't they a part of a race or species that one could reasonably expect to see more than one of? Granted, it might make for a less spectacular player experience, but it's not unreasonable.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
> I am not a Witcher fan, and I can already tell you Sekiro won't even on CDPRJKT's radar when making this game.
Right. But remember the crux of my- admittedly not very convincing- argument about Sekiro's influence if that game devs are taking superficial aspects of what made something popular. I keep coming back to Wo Long because it gets compared to Sekiro but without the details of timing and context and, I dunno.. "feel" of gameplay... it doesn't work. Well, at least not for me.

Look- I'd love for Witcher 4 to have combat as satisfying during combat. But that would mean something Sekiro like for fighting against people and something Monster Hunter like for fighting against monsters, and that would be... omg, so awesome.. but freaking impossible lol.

> I'll use the infamous Asylum/Stray/Firesage Demon complaint. Yes, we can throw the dev laziness out there, but in reality, it makes sense that similar beings might exist in similar capacities in-world. If anything, it makes LESS sense to have the world littered with completely unique enemies, like, aren't they a part of a race or species that one could reasonably expect to see more than one of? Granted, it might make for a less spectacular player experience, but it's not unreasonable.

Yeah... and like how in Dark Souls the early bosses are demons that escaped that fire world so when you go there later there's a whole army of them. But nobody likes that area anyway hahah.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
> I am not a Witcher fan, and I can already tell you Sekiro won't even on CDPRJKT's radar when making this game.
Right. But remember the crux of my- admittedly not very convincing- argument about Sekiro's influence if that game devs are taking superficial aspects of what made something popular. I keep coming back to Wo Long because it gets compared to Sekiro but without the details of timing and context and, I dunno.. "feel" of gameplay... it doesn't work. Well, at least not for me.
You're worrying over nothing. At leas wait until actual gameplay comes out. If it happens, worse case scenario is you not playing it.

If anything, I much bigger concerns. At least Projekt Red will be around, I don't know what's going to happen with Platinum Games. With Kamiya leaving and that idiot president of company failing at going into the live service market, I just want Nintendo to buy them, so Platinum can stay alive. They're both still in a great relationship, and I am all for it, if things go real bad for Platinum.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
You're worrying over nothing. At leas wait until actual gameplay comes out. If it happens, worse case scenario is you not playing it.

If anything, I much bigger concerns. At least Projekt Red will be around, I don't know what's going to happen with Platinum Games. With Kamiya leaving and that idiot president of company failing at going into the live service market, I just want Nintendo to buy them, so Platinum can stay alive. They're both still in a great relationship, and I am all for it, if things go real bad for Platinum.
Not worrying- just predicting. I don't need Witcher 4 to be good. I'd like it to be good. I do worry over much more important things- even with gaming, like how they're gonna keep making cool big pretty games if they take 7 years and keep firing everybody.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
If you want a game series to do something it's not, it's better to wish for a new IP with those traits to be made instead of wishing for an existing series to change into being what you wish for.

The above is inspired by recent activity regarding persona 6 on twitter, where you see a lot of random people who have no idea what persona is supposed to be about make wishlists, and at one point when someone's typing random things like "no cops" I just got tired of it. Persona isn't even about cops, in the slightest!

But this is a drop in the bucket, a lot of people have things they wish games did, but they put those on established series who are doing the thing someone else wishes be done and hence get to exist and succeed. A good example is the assassin's creed series where they shifted into a more action rpg game that could also be played like a stealthy tenchu style game, when they originally were all about the stealth. It'd be better to just make your action rpg out of a new IP than to tie it on an existing franchise, changing it in the process.

My ideal dream game is Kingdom hearts but with anime characters/worlds, but with KH-tier budget and not your typical bandai low effort cashgrab budget. But I don't want KH4 to just abandon disney and just visit shonen jump lands (as awesome as that would be). KH4 should still be KH. Someone else should just make my anime hearts, too! This is the way to be.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The above is inspired by recent activity regarding persona 6 on twitter, where you see a lot of random people who have no idea what persona is supposed to be about make wishlists, and at one point when someone's typing random things like "no cops" I just got tired of it. Persona isn't even about cops, in the slightest!
Isn't one of the protagonist training to be a detective in Persona 4? The one that's a girl detective. I know Persona is not majorly about cops, but you got one right there. Makoto's older sister is a cop in Persona 5. I know it's not majorly about cops, but there are some cop characters in there. As for person that said no cops is an idiot and more than likely never touch the games at all.

Not worrying- just predicting. I don't need Witcher 4 to be good. I'd like it to be good. I do worry over much more important things- even with gaming, like how they're gonna keep making cool big pretty games if they take 7 years and keep firing everybody.
If that's the case, then okay.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Isn't one of the protagonist training to be a detective in Persona 4? The one that's a girl detective. I know Persona is not majorly about cops, but you got one right there. Makoto's older sister is a cop in Persona 5. I know it's not majorly about cops, but there are some cop characters in there. As for person that said no cops is an idiot and more than likely never touch the games at all.
Naoto is more like an heir of a sleuth family, less "cops" more "Sherlock Holmes" to give you an idea, like the special investigator the cops call in when there's a weird mystery like in the X-files or something. And she's not really training as much as aspiring to reach the potential of her grandpa who taught her the tricks of the trade from a very young age, she's already way more capable than your average cops, and her dilemma comes from the profession being male-dominated which causes her to act and dress like a boy so as to play the part of the detective more convincingly.

And yeah when you got a modern day metaphysical story about murders and disappearances the police will be involved but it's really not about those things at all. In fact in persona 3 there was only that 1 cop that sold you weapons since the entire island was under the thumb of the Kirijo corporation group, so you could say there's if anything a distinct lack of cops.

XsjadoBlaydette

~•√∆π°`
May 26, 2022
Country
Wales
Some games oh some cheeky games of the stealth variety requiring your character's sneakiness to be enforced strictly from a crouch stance but still auto defaults to standing position after either stealth takedowns, using ladders, picking up objects or interacting with anything except your own navel are just sooooo....look, am not mad, not even disappointed. Just, well, ok yeah, fine, disappointed will have to do. Is common enough that over time have adopted a sort of preemptive defense mechanism for new stealth games where after the first takedown, ladder, item la de da etc, I just freeze like deer in headlights, drop the controller and salmon leap behind nearest sofa to avoid accidental movement possibly alerting all the guards yet again lol.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
As far as Guardian Heroes clones/spiritual successors goes:

Panzer Bandit>>>>>>>>>>>Code of Princess>>>>Phantom Breaker: Battlegrounds>>>Advance Guardian Heroes.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
A game like Shadows of the Damned has the best walking sections, because you're not forced to slow walk. The Sushi Lamp sections. You can do a slow walk, medium walk, or run around like a crazy jackass and no immersion is broken. What helps even more is that you're not always exactly safe during these sections, aside from its first introduction.

Shadows of the Damned I do find better than Alan Wake. The latter does have a longer campaign and better story, but it's also full of padding and most of those day time section could have been axed or are glorified walking sections. I get they're supposed to break up the pace, have a relaxing moment, or show that even in the day time, Alan isn't exactly safe, but not all of it works. It gets real obnoxious in one of the late chapter where you're just driving around in the day, and all of that could have been done with a cut-scene. I know the first game was supposed an open world originally, so many parts were cut to make a more linear story. Thank God the sequel improved upon that. Back on point: Shadows of the Damned has more enemy variety and better varied combat encounters. The game has a killer soundtrack too. Nearly nothing beats Akira Yamaoka when comes atmospheric and bad ass soundtracks.

These games share a lot of similarities, so comparison is fair:

1. Both are 3rd person shooters inspired by RE4. Shinji Mikami even worked on Shadows with Suda. Alan Wake while inspired has more zoomed out camera, at least in combat any way. Though it's still more zoomed out compared to RE4 and Shadows.
  2. Both games have a light vs. darkness theme. AW: Shine the light to weaken enemies/slowdown and kill them with guns. Shadows: Use the light shot to stun enemies covered in darkness or then hit their weak points. The Darkness can harm our heroes, if not careful and plays an even bigger theme gameplay wise with Shadows. Garcia is literally running around in Hell, so almost nowhere is safe for him. While Alan has to deal with supernatural being that might as well be from hell or from some eldritch location that can manipulate reality at will.
  3. Both games have light sources that act as rest areas/auto saves points to break up the action. Garcia gets a merchant in most of these areas named Christopher when he is around.
  4. Both games involved the kidnapping/capturing of a woman they love. Garcia's girlfriend, Paula, and Alan's wife, Alice. They're captured for different reasons though. Fleming wants Paula, because the story implies that she is the Unbreakable Huntress, even though she can't remember due to the trauma. He wants to have her alone and constantly break by killing her again and again. The Darkness captures Alice to manipulate Alan to write it into the real world and cause chaos. Still, the villains are taking someone from our heroes they care about, or their girl has something hidden about them (Garica and Paula).
  5. Both end on a stinger/sequel hook. To find out what happened to Garcia, Paula, and Johnson, you have to play Travis Strikes Again.
The only differences are that Garcia is a bad ass demon hunter, while Alan is just some writer with a flashlight, a gun, and an active imagination. Oh, and Shadows have much better boss encounters. Thought that's always been a weak spot with Remedy designed games.

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
You can...kinda.

It's not a direct comparison. The PS5 is still going to be much easier to set up, and the PC is made from used parts so there's no warranty. On the other hand, a PC is a PC, it does a lot of things that a PS5 doesn't, and most people do need a device (a desktop, laptop, tablet, etc) that can do things other than game.

So you can build a PC that rivals a PS5 in performance, for roughly the cost of a PS5. It takes a lot more effort, but it's also useful for more than just gaming.

I personally generally don't go for used parts for PCs as I think that the risk and additional hassle outweighs the savings, but for someone this could be a good alternative to a PS5 and actually a way to save money overall.
And that’s not the only way to do it.

The whacky lads show another way to do PC gaming on the cheap. And as leery as I am about the used market - especially for video cards - ex-corporate or government machines are among the safest bets you can make for hardware.