#003 - Brunch

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Happyninja42 said:
Aiedail256 said:
Based on my (admittedly sketchy) understanding of mental illness, the fact that she knows she's hallucinating means that the word "crazy" is even less applicable to Erin than to most real-life sufferers.
Sorry no, the fact that she knows they don't exist, doesn't alleviate the fact that she still interacts with them. Knowing you are mentally unstable doesn't suddenly make you stable. By interacting with them, you give them a legitimacy in your head. The fact that she is actually even seeing them means she's got such an extreme level of mental instability as to be troubling. I know this is just how Erin is in the comic, and everyone accepts it, but if we're going to compare her to a real life sufferer, she's still way off her rocker. This is from my 20+ years of living with a schizophrenic in my family.

Aiedail256 said:
It was already established in CM that all her medication does is make the hallucinations weirder.
Which just means she's clearly not taking the right meds. But hey, the artists want her crazy no matter what for comic reasons, fine.

Sorry, I'm probably not very impartial to this strip, as all I see are the exploits of a nutcase girl who is tolerated by those around her, and who are too afraid to actually get her committed like she should be. Considering some of the stuff she's done that is played for laughs, I've witnessed from the real version of something similar, that ended up as anything but funny, I admit I'm biased. But even discounting her mental instability, I don't find her aggressive, beligerent, bitchy attitude all that funny. She's just a ***** that needs to get over herself and stop shitting on all the people who tolerate her as a "friend".

But hey, maybe I just don't find the CM artist's sense of humor all that funny. *shrugs*
Then stop reading. Seriously, it'll make you happier.

Little Gray

Sep 18, 2012
hentropy said:
Last comic the plot hole was where she got her groceries, NOW it's how she gets her drugs if she never goes outside or talks to anyone. Even a Y2K massive drug stash would have run out by now. Being a hikikomori can be a surprising amount of work.
Its not like its hard to grow pot.

Apr 25, 2009
Well, first of all weed doesn't make you hallucinate. And people are going fucking nuts over her taking a hit in the morning. Doesn't mean she's an addict, doesn't make her see cartoon animals, and she's clearly feeling pretty awful today. I don't mean to be a dick, but don't talk about stuff you don't know a lot about. We haven't even seen how often she smokes yet.

Also, people don't seem to understand that this isn't the Erin from Critical Miss. This is an alternate version roughly based around her character, presumably because Cory and Grey wanted to explore the concept in a different way. All the shit that happened in Critical Miss doesn't mean anything in this new universe. She's not really anything like the old Erin either.

And thirdly, you can buy weed and have it delivered in a plain package over the internet. I have friends who do it all the time, not that hard. Or maybe she has a contact who's willing to slip it through the mail slot.

I like the concept of this comic so far guys, and the art is really nice. There are going to be some teething troubles at first, especially as you're using an alternate version of a previous character, but keep it up.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I'm a functioning alcoholic, and so I think I know addiction. Addiction is falling in love. Addiction is a fondness for your vice, even when you've been clean forever. It's beautiful, and dangerous. You can limit your use, as I have, I no longer drink everyday, but you'll always be in love.

We're not freaks, we're just escaping, or we took a good thing for too long, don't demonise us, demonise the dealers, the ones whom put addicts in gaol, the ones whom don't let us get help, or won't help us. By acting all tight arsed about the mental illness of addiction, you're only hurting us. If you want to help, then offer support.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
While I'm no fan of crushing misery as a the default; some of you really need to calm down about her taking a single measly hit off of a bong.

whazup

Dec 31, 2014
JenSeven said:
There is a massive difference between a crack pipe and a bong.
A bong is used for weed or hash.
And that very obviously is a bong.

I don't use any of that stuff myself, but I at least know the difference.
LOL where is your icon from JenSeven?

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Mikeybb said:
I am really, really enjoying this new strip.

Not the most insightful or thought provoking post to add to the thread, but I just wanted to give the written equivalent of a thumbs up to the team.

Looking forward to more.
Honestly probably more productive than all of the puritanical responses about how Erin is a drug addict, or the arguments over whether it is/can be a crack pipe instead of a bong, or all of the strange philosophizing about drug use.

And I'm someone who literally never wants to smoke ever, and honestly doesn't think I could have a lasting relationship with someone who gets high on even a semi-regular basis.

Dec 22, 2014
Happyninja42 said:
TopazFusion said:
Well Erin, THAT would explain why you're hallucinating.
No it wouldn't. Pot doesn't make you hallucinate. Besides, she was established as already being bat shit crazy long before she ever tried pot.

Zykon TheLich said:
JenSeven said:
Zykon TheLich said:
Ah, that breakfast crack pipe, so much better than coffee.

Well, I used to, a lot, and that could be either. There's no real difference between a homemade crack pipe and a bong.

direkiller said:
Zykon TheLich said:
it's a bong, for weed

although I don't know if not knowing your drug paraphernalia is a good or a bad thing.
It's a pipe, for whatever you want to put in it. I choose to imagine it's crack.
Actually no it is a bong. The element of water in it defines it as such. And while yes, she could technically put whatever in it, the most likely thing that a reclusive, mentally damaged, 20ish, hipster, urban white girl would smoke, would likely be pot.

OT: I do like the idea that her behavior has finally meant that all of her friends have cast her off for the insane freakbag that she really is, so now she's resorted to becoming a shutin. A shutin who isn't taking her schizophrenia medication, thus hallucinating 24/7, smoking pot to quell her overwhelming depression, and has now Died Alone, in her apartment. Perhaps her hamster/gerbel thing, and it's entire family line now use her for a food source, and wear her skin like clothing, wielding tiny Erin Bone spears as they claim the apartment for themselves.

Yes, yes this image cheers me up greatly. xD

Have I mentioned I don't like Erin? xD
I can't see any water in that bong/pipe at all now that I look closely at it, assuming it's not a mistake/laziness on the part of the artist I'm more inclined to think she's doing crack.

Reasonable Atheist

Mar 6, 2012
Archibold Terwiliger said:
Happyninja42 said:
TopazFusion said:
Well Erin, THAT would explain why you're hallucinating.
No it wouldn't. Pot doesn't make you hallucinate. Besides, she was established as already being bat shit crazy long before she ever tried pot.

Zykon TheLich said:
JenSeven said:
Zykon TheLich said:

Well, I used to, a lot, and that could be either. There's no real difference between a homemade crack pipe and a bong.

direkiller said:
Zykon TheLich said:
it's a bong, for weed

although I don't know if not knowing your drug paraphernalia is a good or a bad thing.
It's a pipe, for whatever you want to put in it. I choose to imagine it's crack.
Actually no it is a bong. The element of water in it defines it as such. And while yes, she could technically put whatever in it, the most likely thing that a reclusive, mentally damaged, 20ish, hipster, urban white girl would smoke, would likely be pot.

OT: I do like the idea that her behavior has finally meant that all of her friends have cast her off for the insane freakbag that she really is, so now she's resorted to becoming a shutin. A shutin who isn't taking her schizophrenia medication, thus hallucinating 24/7, smoking pot to quell her overwhelming depression, and has now Died Alone, in her apartment. Perhaps her hamster/gerbel thing, and it's entire family line now use her for a food source, and wear her skin like clothing, wielding tiny Erin Bone spears as they claim the apartment for themselves.

Yes, yes this image cheers me up greatly. xD

Have I mentioned I don't like Erin? xD
I can't see any water in that bong/pipe at all now that I look closely at it, assuming it's not a mistake/laziness on the part of the artist I'm more inclined to think she's doing crack.
If you look closely, you can clearly see that the substance in the bowl is green.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Mikeybb said:
I am really, really enjoying this new strip.

Not the most insightful or thought provoking post to add to the thread, but I just wanted to give the written equivalent of a thumbs up to the team.

Looking forward to more.
rbstewart7263 said:
Guys I just wanted to say that I fucking love this comic. Its so real. So real.
Thanks, fellas. we always appreciate messages of support.

Draconalis said:
I don't think I like this new comic.

The Bucket

May 4, 2010
I don't think i'm cool enough to understand all this 420 blazin it discussion :0

Regardless the comic is pretty enjoyable, looking forward to more.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
Honestly I am going to need to be thrown a bone here soon. Erin was unlikable enough in the original strip but at least she had a personality. Perhaps a grim feel is needed for the setup but a payoff is going to be needed soon. It's otherwise too depressing.

Porygon-2000

I have a green hat! Why?!
Jul 14, 2010
Is the is the same Erin in both comics? I'm sort of lost on that part.

Otherwise, liking it so far!

Toejam

Mar 21, 2014
Some people really do have to over analyze everything! It's a comic FFS! lol

Personally i'm looking forward to seeing where this goes...Good work guys :)

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
hentropy said:
Last comic the plot hole was where she got her groceries, NOW it's how she gets her drugs if she never goes outside or talks to anyone. Even a Y2K massive drug stash would have run out by now. Being a hikikomori can be a surprising amount of work.
I often see these shut-in stereotypes in comics, books, and movies yet there is no explanation as to where they get their money from. Unless they are an Ebay trader or draw smut commissions online.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Well this turned out unexpectedly. I guess i wont judge early but this certainly does not look worth reading yet. ill give it at least till issue 10 though.

Combustion Kevin said:
awesomeClaw said:
That was jarring.

Granted, we all knew Erin was a peculiar girl, but I didn' take her for a fuckin´ drug addict.
Casual use does not equal addiction.
I'm dutch, I'd know. ;)
No, but when your idea of breakfast is "lets smoke some dope" it does.

Hdawger

Jun 8, 2010
I'm loving the comic and I'm loving the discussion even more. "Yo guys I smoke w33d all da time. It's totally cool and you're a lozer if u don't man. Sh1t, u can ev3n get it over teh internetz dawg!"