#003 - Brunch

Product Placement

Jul 16, 2009
Zombie_Fish said:
NerAnima said:
SupahGamuh said:
Has no one considered this might not be the Erin we all know?
I think so, but it might not be; it could be several years after Erin gets fired because her boss is in an extra bitchy mood, or it could just be a parallel dimension. I am willing to bet, however, that it is at least Erin in some shape or form. Whether it's the Critical Miss Erin, I couldn't tell you.

Edit: If that makes no sense, I apologize, I have a habit of doing that.
They're not the same Erin. Grey explains this in the Patreon video for Erin Dies Alone:

Yeah but Grey also points out that this is a narrative that they abandoned from CM. So even if it's not the same Erin, it's still technically the same Erin, just from a sort of alternative reality. I'm assuming she had the same accident that caused her to start hallucinating in the first place.

P.S. I know it's been asked before but I'm curious myself. Will the question of how she's able to acquire/afford food and drugs(both licit and illicit) be addressed later down the line?

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
i'd recognize a gatorade bottle bong from a mile away. i didn't even realize Erin was a fellow pot-enthusiast.

And Man

May 12, 2014
You should include drug usage in more comics; it's makes the comments section a fucking riot to read

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Oh geez, this thread. I sometimes forget the inexplicable straight edge\nerd overlap, then someone mentions drugs and its "OMG they did a mara-juana what a loser!"

OT: Still to early to decide how I feel about this new comic overall, but I already find sad shut-in EDA Erin several thousand times more tolerable than unjustifiably arrogant brat CM Erin.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Zykon TheLich said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
They also don't realise crack cannot be burnt by a naked flame, hence the crackpipe being glass. (As far as i know)
If your crack doesn't burn in a naked flame, you've been sold a lump of quartz. The reason a lot of crack pipes are glass is that it doesn't conduct heat very well and for the crack addict on the go you want a small concealable pipe that isn't going to burn your fingers every time you use it. It's also easier to see inside to scrape out all the residue.

PS: Don't do crack.
*Jots down advice*
Righty ho! Shall avoid that one then.
A friend of a friend of a friend...or just a friend of a friend...okay it was a friend that mentioned that although it could physically be burnt by naked flame, it apparently destroys the active ingredient that gets one high, similar to DMT. Without first hand experience, I may be getting confused though, as that can happen :)

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
The Wooster said:
Mikeybb said:
I am really, really enjoying this new strip.

Not the most insightful or thought provoking post to add to the thread, but I just wanted to give the written equivalent of a thumbs up to the team.

Looking forward to more.
rbstewart7263 said:
Guys I just wanted to say that I fucking love this comic. Its so real. So real.
Thanks, fellas. we always appreciate messages of support.

Draconalis said:
I don't think I like this new comic.
Considering how surprisingly polarizing a simple comic strip can be, in this apparently liberal and unjudgemental time; i feel it is necessary to throw a good vote of confidence in for you guys. The attitudes of the internet are still something i must get used to.

And Man said:
You should include drug usage in more comics; it's makes the comments section a fucking riot to read
Haha! You sir or madam or cosmic entity of gravy cake, have made a person having a terrible day, laugh a little. Thankyou!

Aug 31, 2012
Xsjadoblayde said:
*Jots down advice*
Righty ho! Shall avoid that one then.
A friend of a friend of a friend...or just a friend of a friend...okay it was a friend that mentioned that although it could physically be burnt by naked flame, it apparently destroys the active ingredient that gets one high, similar to DMT. Without first hand experience, I may be getting confused though, as that can happen :)
Good decision.

I think you or your friend may be getting confused, because that is not right. You might be thinking of Heroin, that needs gentler heating, hence chasing or using a cigarette, otherwise it frazzles.

PS: Don't do Heroin.

Atomic Spy Crab

Mar 28, 2013
Why is everyone surprised Erin the shut in hallucinating animals is smoking weed? Most people do smoke weed when they're depressed, not saying it's good, just wondering why everyone's surprised.

Edit: Don't do drugs, shit kills you yo

Atomic Spy Crab

Mar 28, 2013
Saulkar said:
hentropy said:
Last comic the plot hole was where she got her groceries, NOW it's how she gets her drugs if she never goes outside or talks to anyone. Even a Y2K massive drug stash would have run out by now. Being a hikikomori can be a surprising amount of work.
I often see these shut-in stereotypes in comics, books, and movies yet there is no explanation as to where they get their money from. Unless they are an Ebay trader or draw smut commissions online.
She probably has someone get them for her, she can't possibly have an entirely dead social life

SuicidalBaby

Mar 17, 2014
Zykon TheLich said:
Happyninja42 said:
Actually no it is a bong. The element of water in it defines it as such. And while yes, she could technically put whatever in it, the most likely thing that a reclusive, mentally damaged, 20ish, hipster, urban white girl would smoke, would likely be pot.
And to any crack user, it's a crack pipe. And to include my edit from my first post:

Zykon TheLich said:
Ah, that breakfast crack pipe, so much better than coffee.

EDIT: Yes, I'm aware Grey and Corey probably meant that to be a bong for weed, but it also makes a perfectly functional crack pipe. I find it more amusing to assume it's being used for the latter.
it's a bong. everything about her attitude says it's weed. She is not acting or looking like a crackhead. Your assumptions fall short because of some illusion you have with drugs in general.

Aug 31, 2012
SuicidalBaby said:
Zykon TheLich said:
Happyninja42 said:
Actually no it is a bong. The element of water in it defines it as such. And while yes, she could technically put whatever in it, the most likely thing that a reclusive, mentally damaged, 20ish, hipster, urban white girl would smoke, would likely be pot.
And to any crack user, it's a crack pipe. And to include my edit from my first post:

Zykon TheLich said:

EDIT: Yes, I'm aware Grey and Corey probably meant that to be a bong for weed, but it also makes a perfectly functional crack pipe. I find it more amusing to assume it's being used for the latter.
it's a bong. everything about her attitude says it's weed. She is not acting or looking like a crackhead. Your assumptions fall short because of some illusion you have with drugs in general.
EDIT: To paraphrase myself: "Home made bong, home made crack pipe, no fucking difference, and I, for my own amusement, am taking it to be the latter".

In retrospect, I can see that the word "assume" might not have been the best to convey my meaning.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Evil Smurf said:
I picked Erin as a pill popping girl, also can we stop demonizing drugs?
But Smurf! D:
It's so easy to demonize pot!
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/46/67/96/466796ed1ac749939eb92472787ff2fe.jpg
(I mean come on, who sees this movie and takes it seriously? xD)

Plus, I view this as more a self-medicating/mixing of "medications" problem. Witch is a serious issue.
Honestly though, it's prescription drugs that are really going up in abuse recently (at least in the U.S.)

Not so much worried about the pot as much as worried about what it's mixing with/replacing as medication.
Also, I will second that want needs to be the focus of the issue is helping those who are addicted.

Happyninja42 said:
:/ Yeah, I was lazy and didn't put it in...........
Just thought I'd point out that the Erin from "Critical Miss" is not the same Erin in "Erin Dies Alone".

So that character ya hate so much is actually in the other comic. This one is new.
Porygon-2000 said:
Is the is the same Erin in both comics? I'm sort of lost on that part.

Otherwise, liking it so far!
As I said to the ironically named ninja, this Erin is a new Erin.

Also, I too am enjoying the comic. :)

The Wooster said:
Just to clear things up. It's a bong, not a crack pipe.
She's so high she's trying to use a bong to smoke crack?! D:

Madness....

Dec 22, 2014
Reasonable Atheist said:
Archibold Terwiliger said:
Happyninja42 said:
TopazFusion said:
Well Erin, THAT would explain why you're hallucinating.
No it wouldn't. Pot doesn't make you hallucinate. Besides, she was established as already being bat shit crazy long before she ever tried pot.

Zykon TheLich said:
JenSeven said:
Zykon TheLich said:
There is a massive difference between a crack pipe and a bong.
A bong is used for weed or hash.
And that very obviously is a bong.

I don't use any of that stuff myself, but I at least know the difference.

Well, I used to, a lot, and that could be either. There's no real difference between a homemade crack pipe and a bong.

direkiller said:
Zykon TheLich said:
it's a bong, for weed

although I don't know if not knowing your drug paraphernalia is a good or a bad thing.
It's a pipe, for whatever you want to put in it. I choose to imagine it's crack.

OT: I do like the idea that her behavior has finally meant that all of her friends have cast her off for the insane freakbag that she really is, so now she's resorted to becoming a shutin. A shutin who isn't taking her schizophrenia medication, thus hallucinating 24/7, smoking pot to quell her overwhelming depression, and has now Died Alone, in her apartment. Perhaps her hamster/gerbel thing, and it's entire family line now use her for a food source, and wear her skin like clothing, wielding tiny Erin Bone spears as they claim the apartment for themselves.

Yes, yes this image cheers me up greatly. xD

Have I mentioned I don't like Erin? xD
I can't see any water in that bong/pipe at all now that I look closely at it, assuming it's not a mistake/laziness on the part of the artist I'm more inclined to think she's doing crack.
If you look closely, you can clearly see that the substance in the bowl is green.
Thanks for pointing that out, I looked for that while I was making up my mind but didn't zoom in on anything so I assumed that was just a shadow.

Idsertian

Legacy
Apr 8, 2011
Huh. I'm quite liking this, this is... new. Please, continue.

ADDENDUM: Didn't expect to see something like open drug use on the Escapist, but there you go.

Czann said:
So she does crack?

No wonder she's insane.
It's a bong, she's smoking weed.

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
Wowwww so many people sound like narcs on this thread. It's weed, not heroin or meth. That is the LEAST dangerous illegal drug she could be doing so I don't know why everyone's getting their panties in a twist. It's weird, everyone's all like "Ohhh Grand Theft Auto V, Witcher 2 was soooo good, such-and-such is hot, etc" but as soon as you toss in some drugs to a COMIC STRIP, it's suddenly "oh no that's baaaad don't do drugs, no wonder her life's so fucked up" also weed doesn't cause hallucinations. There are actually some people that can hit the water bong once or twice every couple of months and NOT be addicted. If you're high-stress, high-anxiety or depressed, the effects of weed can make you feel pretty damn mellow.

I'm not a fan of this comic or "this" Erin by any means but damn. Lighten up, people.

tilmoph

Gone Gonzo
Jun 11, 2013
Ok, point one: It's a fucking bong people. It is not, in anyway shape or form, a crackpipe. It is clearly, clearly, fucking clear as day a bong. How in the high holy hell are you people not getting that? Seriously, have you never MacGuyvered up a bong in your lives? Or just bought one, or seen one at some point? Subpoint: Ok, let's just assume most of you haven't done any drugs ever (or at least none of the ones you were told were drugs), and have somehow never hung out with someone who openly did; you do know crack and weed don't have anywhere near the same effects, right? You don't need to actually enjoy some recreational chemicals to figure that one out.

Point two: IT'S A FUCKING BONG! It is not causing hallucinations, and, seriously, a wake n' bake is a sign of serious drug addiction now? The hell site am I on, and how do I get back to the Escapist? People, it's a wake n' bake, which is done because the high when you first wake up feels the best out of the day. It's not a sign of drug addiction, it's a sign she likes getting stoned. I wake to Sonic the Hedgehog getting all moralizing on my ass, I'm gonna want to get high too. And she only took one hit. Bloody one!

Hdawger

Jun 8, 2010
tilmoph said:
Ok, point one: It's a fucking bong people. It is not, in anyway shape or form, a crackpipe. It is clearly, clearly, fucking clear as day a bong. How in the high holy hell are you people not getting that? Seriously, have you never MacGuyvered up a bong in your lives? Or just bought one, or seen one at some point? Subpoint: Ok, let's just assume most of you haven't done any drugs ever (or at least none of the ones you were told were drugs), and have somehow never hung out with someone who openly did; you do know crack and weed don't have anywhere near the same effects, right? You don't need to actually enjoy some recreational chemicals to figure that one out.

Point two: IT'S A FUCKING BONG! It is not causing hallucinations, and, seriously, a wake n' bake is a sign of serious drug addiction now? The hell site am I on, and how do I get back to the Escapist? People, it's a wake n' bake, which is done because the high when you first wake up feels the best out of the day. It's not a sign of drug addiction, it's a sign she likes getting stoned. I wake to Sonic the Hedgehog getting all moralizing on my ass, I'm gonna want to get high too. And she only took one hit. Bloody one!
I'm a little surprised that you act like most people use drugs, when the vast majority of people do not...

Oct 22, 2011
You've caught my attention with that new comic, and i actually like the somewhat depressing atmosphere. Awaiting how the story will unfold.

OT of drugs: I think there's not enough info in that strip to determine, if she is a casual smoker or 'smokeweederryday' kind of person. Unless she'd skip the breakfast, and consume only ganja in the morning, she should be fine.

PS: Don't smoke weed every day, kids.